Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  miketheodio : (22 February 2014 - 06:58 AM) someone just has to step up and make a play. parsons tried to do it, but i think it is an area he can progress in.
@  BrentYen : (22 February 2014 - 02:13 AM) I know they were having trouble, I just don know what exactly should they do except letting Harden doing what he did.
@  miketheodio : (22 February 2014 - 02:09 AM) Just look at the last 6 minutes. Everyone was having trouble creating offense except harden.
@  BrentYen : (22 February 2014 - 01:36 AM) And what exactly is the play you are referring to?
@  miketheodio : (21 February 2014 - 06:53 PM) there were times when harden gave up the ball, but nobody could make things happen. someone needs to step up and make a play to help harden out in those situations.
@  rocketrick : (21 February 2014 - 11:54 AM) James Harden all but pulled out this unlikely victory
@  linonlyfan : (21 February 2014 - 11:31 AM) Ooops I totally jinxed Parsons at halftime. Apologies.
@  Dan G : (21 February 2014 - 08:09 AM) Don't forget about the offensive rebounds we let the Warriors get in the second half. Way too many second, third, and sometimes fourth chances.
@  Buckko : (21 February 2014 - 08:08 AM) Harden was very clutch and carried us to OT, but like I said a couple less ill advised ISOs and maybe we could have had a few more points with OT not necessary.
@  Buckko : (21 February 2014 - 08:06 AM) The refs gifted that game to the warriors, but if you were to say who didn't contribute was D12. Harden was not perfect either with quite a few bad ISOs late in the game and Parsons carried us through the first half.
@  feelingsuper... : (21 February 2014 - 07:43 AM) Pretty great sequence by Harden to steal the ball while defending Lee, then making the step back to take the lead and then penetrating and making the pass to a cutting Parsons who unfortunately couldn't finish. The other players need to elevate their game and help Harden out, he can't do it alone.
@  feelingsuper... : (21 February 2014 - 07:36 AM) Look it was an ugly game and credit to the Warriors for grinding it out but honestly I just wanted the Rockets in it and they were. The good guys took the season series 2 to 1 and I'll take that.
@  feelingsuper... : (21 February 2014 - 07:34 AM) Buckko, just read the Shoutbox post before mine, come on. Sure, I am just addressing something out of thin air.
@  Buckko : (21 February 2014 - 07:29 AM) No ever said he was, but then again look at dwight's fg% if you're grading players on efficiency and O'Neal is no pushover.
@  feelingsuper... : (21 February 2014 - 07:14 AM) If Parsons can't dunk over a 35 year old O'Neal in crunch time he is not a star. Let's not forget he took 24 shots and shot 33% which will rarely result in a Rockets win. He is not a star.
@  linonlyfan : (21 February 2014 - 05:05 AM) Chandler Parsons on the break in out dribble to finish through traffic with the left hand and one to close the gap just before the half. Is it just me or there is some star quality here?
@  YaoMan : (20 February 2014 - 08:03 PM) The right move but hate to see AB go...again! Always a fan fave.
@  BrentYen : (20 February 2014 - 07:21 PM) AB will get more playing time, hope he does well.
@  txtdo1411 : (20 February 2014 - 07:04 PM) I love it. A long wing that can play defense and shoot the 3. He is also young, and should have lots of room to improve. Sad to see Brooks go though. Hopefully he will get some legit minutes in Denver.
@  feelingsuper... : (20 February 2014 - 07:02 PM) Curious to get a look at Hamilton after he gets integrated, good luck to AB!

Photo

Omer Asik...UPDATE: Omer Asik asks for trade

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#61 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:27 PM

He's a plus defender but a minus offensive player. That's hard to do as a center

Why so Serious? :D

#62 2016Champions

2016Champions

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:45 PM

He's a plus defender but a minus offensive player. That's hard to do as a center

No its not, that describes about 70% of centers in the league. What's hard to do is make the Rockets the best half court defense in the league, and that's exactly what Asik did last season while he was on the floor.

"We're not satisfied with where we're at, but we're optimistic on where things will go from here" - Daryl Morey

#63 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:07 AM

I would not say that about 70% of centers based on what the center position is asked to do. He is a game changer defensively, but apart from setting picks and grabbing the occasional offensive rebound, his offensive contributions are nil. The reason why he's not on the level of a Chandler/Noah is because they can catch the ball which brings them lightyears ahead of Asik on offense. He's in the second tier of centers after Howard/Gasol/Noah/Chandler/Lopez with the likes of Pek/Asik/Horford/Gasol(pau)/etc...

#64 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,205 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:14 AM

what do you guys think about this

http://www.hoopsworl...player-for-asik

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#65 2016Champions

2016Champions

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:50 AM

I do agree with everything you just said TTDN, I just also believe Asik is the 3rd best defender in the league after Howard and Duncan. 

Edited by 2016Champions, 16 November 2013 - 12:52 AM.

"We're not satisfied with where we're at, but we're optimistic on where things will go from here" - Daryl Morey

#66 bboley24

bboley24

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:56 AM

I think you are underestimating the power of Moreyisms.  The man rarely makes a move that makes sense... until it makes sense.

We could trade Asik to the Pittsburgh Penguins for a 3rd rounder and some cash and boom... end up with the 5th pick in next year's draft class.

Don't expect a trade for that elusive stretch 4 or backup center.  I believe Morey will outsmart us all yet again.

#67 Dayak

Dayak

• Members
    • Pip
    • 47 posts
    • LocationBorneo Island

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:39 AM

I prefer Ilyasova than Sanders or Henson. Ilyasova will be a great fit for us. He is a good rebounder and can space the floor with his outside shooting, but Bucks already have Sanders and Pachulia, i don't see they still need another Big. :(

#68 2016Champions

2016Champions

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 3,146 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:26 PM

I prefer Ilyasova than Sanders or Henson. Ilyasova will be a great fit for us. He is a good rebounder and can space the floor with his outside shooting, but Bucks already have Sanders and Pachulia, i don't see they still need another Big. :(

A 3rd team would make it work, I like it.

#69 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 2,623 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:24 PM

Whenever there is a trade that everyone loves it is almost always a sure sign that trade isn't going to happen.  I am referring to Asik for Ilyasova.  Sure, bring in a third team...anything is possible, but this trade is far-fetched and on the scale of likelihood is very, very low.  The only way we get Ilyasova from them right now is if we take Sanders back too while giving them Asik, Jones, Greg Smith, and possibly more.  I think that is a bad deal because Sanders is not looking reliable at the moment.

As for the article RBF posted--that sounds about right.  Asik's value is a tricky thing.  Sure, he is a top defensive asset and sets great screens, but to casually toss him into the bottom 70% of centers offensively doesn't really give the appropriate context.  You know where he ranks among that bottom 70%?  In the bottom 70%....and in that group?  Again, near the bottom.  He's bad even amongst his other bad peers.  He may be top 3 on defense, but he is also lurking near the bottom 3 for offense.  Sadly, Omer is the kind of player you sign in free agency and look like a genius, but when you trade assets for him you will be second-guessed eternally.

Now, as a GM of another team (knowing your job is graded largely on these decisions) would you give up a quality starter (presumably at PF) for Omer?  I think the best we can hope for is a late 1st rounder and a back-up center.  I'll take it.

#70 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
    • 1,521 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:16 PM

Hibbert seems younger than Asik, but they are actually the same age.  If you think that Hibbert is still developing, wouldn't it be fair to say that Asik could still develop too?

The ethos around Roy Hibbert is so interesting because he seems like some up and coming superstar, compared to Dwight, but they're all (Dwight, Asik, Hibbert) about the same age.  I guess it's because he's a late bloomer.

My thoughts on the Asik development: It's natural he'd be upset.  The guy is a top 10 center and was our second best player last year - of course he's not happy about the situation.  At the same time, it's pretty shocking how he's handled this.  For a guy who epitomized the very idea of professionalism last year, it's surprising that he's acting like such a big baby right now.  Asking for a trade is fine and understandable.  But having your agent leak it to the press is not.  That puts Houston in a bad spot, especially since they actually need Omer right now until they can trade him.

Morey won't bend, though.  This is his prime asset to improve this team.  One thing we've learned is that Morey never makes a deal that he's not thrilled with.  As someone said above me, whatever Morey decides to do, it won't make sense until it makes sense.  That's how he operates.  He will not undersell on this the way the media is expecting.

#71 2016Champions

2016Champions

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 3,146 posts
      • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:30 PM

The ethos around Roy Hibbert is so interesting because he seems like some up and coming superstar, compared to Dwight, but they're all (Dwight, Asik, Hibbert) about the same age.  I guess it's because he's a late bloomer.

My thoughts on the Asik development: It's natural he'd be upset.  The guy is a top 10 center and was our second best player last year - of course he's not happy about the situation.  At the same time, it's pretty shocking how he's handled this.  For a guy who epitomized the very idea of professionalism last year, it's surprising that he's acting like such a big baby right now.  Asking for a trade is fine and understandable.  But having your agent leak it to the press is not.  That puts Houston in a bad spot, especially since they actually need Omer right now until they can trade him.

Morey won't bend, though.  This is his prime asset to improve this team.  One thing we've learned is that Morey never makes a deal that he's not thrilled with.  As someone said above me, whatever Morey decides to do, it won't make sense until it makes sense.  That's how he operates.  He will not undersell on this the way the media is expecting.

You're absolutely right about Asik not being the type of guy to complain to management, I can't help but wonder if it was Asik actually requesting a trade or if it was his agent spreading rumors while Asik simply shrugged his shoulders and is letting his agent do his job. I just can't picture Asik going to Morey and requesting a trade, it's not the type of person he is at all.

#72 sli

sli

• Members
      • Pip
      • 21 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:16 PM

You're absolutely right about Asik not being the type of guy to complain to management, I can't help but wonder if it was Asik actually requesting a trade or if it was his agent spreading rumors while Asik simply shrugged his shoulders and is letting his agent do his job. I just can't picture Asik going to Morey and requesting a trade, it's not the type of person he is at all.

I don't think we can fault him if he does express the desire to be traded though. These guys are top basketball players - if we have been complaining so much on how McHale managed his rotations, you think that the players didn't have resentments last year? I rather think that they were being profesional about it and shut up in front of the media. Asik expressed his desire to be traded and McHale reacted by benching him immediately. McHale probably took it as an affront to him, not willing to trust that the Coach can manage the rotation effectively. Last year Asik averaged 5.5 FGM on 7 FGA, 12.5r and 1 TO in the two games versus Philadelpia, so to claim that Asik won't match up well with the Sixers was so bogus, and the media so cooperatively went along, without checking with Asik.

Even last year I felt that we had the talents to go deeper, but not under McHale as the coach. He ran the players to the ground, even in back-to-back games. He stuck to his old-school "just man up already, basketball is supposed to be played for 48 minutes" thinking. If we plan on playing Howard 30 minutes, and Asik 28 minutes, there would be only 10 minutes of overlap, and we would have a very solid center at all times. I don't have faith in achieving that under McHale, and I don't think Asik has faith in that either. Would Morey dare to switch to George Karl just after 10 games in the season? Don't you think that George Karl would have the credibility to make it work?

#73 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,939 posts
        • LocationAlabama

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:20 PM

Horrible to switch mid way.

#74 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 3,205 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:28 PM

I disagree. Asik was a full time starter for all our games last year. to suddenly be demoted to bench guy was never going to sit well with him. to think you are a core piece one year and be relegated to a role player is a bitter pill to swallow. while I'm disappointed in him, I understand what he is feeling. while he has allowed his agent to do the talking I have no doubt his agent is being directed by him. unfortunate for him the Rockets hold all of the leverage in this situation. I was on clutch fans today and the guy DOC ROCKET spoke after many months of silence. this is the guy I told you many believe to be long time Rockets trainer Keith Jones. while I'm not sure about all that I must admit this guy has been on the money when forecasting Rocket moves. this is the message he left

Doc Rocket @Thedocrocket Follow

We have 1 from Israel but We need 1 from Turkey, Not from Sova, Iran. Gotta move up the Muppet man, bucko! Happy Hunting!

8 Retweets 4 favorites

YES he speaks in code, but from what I can gather from his statement is the Rockets are chasing Ilyasova. notice the reference to Turkey.....Ilyasova is from there.....then at the end..."bucko! Happy Hunting!" this is a reference to the Bucks.....happy hunting indicates pursuit. I don't know if this guy will be correct this time, but if he is those who had wished for Ilyasova may be about to get their wish 

Edited by rockets best fan, 16 November 2013 - 09:29 PM.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#75 2016Champions

2016Champions

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 3,146 posts
        • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:53 PM

I don't think we can fault him if he does express the desire to be traded though. These guys are top basketball players - if we have been complaining so much on how McHale managed his rotations, you think that the players didn't have resentments last year? I rather think that they were being profesional about it and shut up in front of the media. Asik expressed his desire to be traded and McHale reacted by benching him immediately. McHale probably took it as an affront to him, not willing to trust that the Coach can manage the rotation effectively. Last year Asik averaged 5.5 FGM on 7 FGA, 12.5r and 1 TO in the two games versus Philadelpia, so to claim that Asik won't match up well with the Sixers was so bogus, and the media so cooperatively went along, without checking with Asik.

Even last year I felt that we had the talents to go deeper, but not under McHale as the coach. He ran the players to the ground, even in back-to-back games. He stuck to his old-school "just man up already, basketball is supposed to be played for 48 minutes" thinking. If we plan on playing Howard 30 minutes, and Asik 28 minutes, there would be only 10 minutes of overlap, and we would have a very solid center at all times. I don't have faith in achieving that under McHale, and I don't think Asik has faith in that either. Would Morey dare to switch to George Karl just after 10 games in the season? Don't you think that George Karl would have the credibility to make it work?

Actually in McHale's interview yesterday he said he asked Asik if he can play and he said no due to not feeling well. I don't think McHale benched Asik against his wishes at all, but I do think Asik isn't satisfied with his situation so you're probably right about that. No matter how chill Asik is he's only human, and like you said it's only normal for him to be unhappy about having something taken away from him which he worked hard for--a place in this league.

#76 sli

sli

• Members
        • Pip
        • 21 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:11 PM

Actually in McHale's interview yesterday he said he asked Asik if he can play and he said no due to not feeling well. I don't think McHale benched Asik against his wishes at all, but I do think Asik isn't satisfied with his situation so you're probably right about that. No matter how chill Asik is he's only human, and like you said it's only normal for him to be unhappy about having something taken away from him which he worked hard for--a place in this league.

Thanks for the extra info. My point was that the reporters didn't ask Asik what he told McHale. Do remember that McHale had tried to lead the media all along preseason that he was still deciding on whom to start at the point guard position.

#77 feelingsupersonic

feelingsupersonic

Officer

• Moderators
          • 1,688 posts
          • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:54 PM

I disagree. Asik was a full time starter for all our games last year. to suddenly be demoted to bench guy was never going to sit well with him. to think you are a core piece one year and be relegated to a role player is a bitter pill to swallow. while I'm disappointed in him, I understand what he is feeling. while he has allowed his agent to do the talking I have no doubt his agent is being directed by him. unfortunate for him the Rockets hold all of the leverage in this situation. I was on clutch fans today and the guy DOC ROCKET spoke after many months of silence. this is the guy I told you many believe to be long time Rockets trainer Keith Jones. while I'm not sure about all that I must admit this guy has been on the money when forecasting Rocket moves. this is the message he left
          Doc Rocket @Thedocrocket Follow

We have 1 from Israel but We need 1 from Turkey, Not from Sova, Iran. Gotta move up the Muppet man, bucko! Happy Hunting!
          6:44 PM - 15 Nov 2013

8 Retweets 4 favorites

YES he speaks in code, but from what I can gather from his statement is the Rockets are chasing Ilyasova. notice the reference to Turkey.....Ilyasova is from there.....then at the end..."bucko! Happy Hunting!" this is a reference to the Bucks.....happy hunting indicates pursuit. I don't know if this guy will be correct this time, but if he is those who had wished for Ilyasova may be about to get their wish

Man, you got a crystal ball and decoding powers!

#78 bboley24

bboley24

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 319 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:48 AM

Asik down and out tonight>

#79 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 3,205 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:53 AM

Man, you got a crystal ball and decoding powers!

:lol: it's part of my multitasking capabilities :lol: on a serious note what do you think about Ilyasova? I like him, but it still leaves the backup center position lacking unless they believe D-Mo and G-Smith can handle it.

#80 CC.

CC.

Rookie

• Members
            • PipPip
            • 69 posts
            • LocationRio Grande Valley, TX

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:07 AM

I think you are underestimating the power of Moreyisms.  The man rarely makes a move that makes sense... until it makes sense.

We could trade Asik to the Pittsburgh Penguins for a 3rd rounder and some cash and boom... end up with the 5th pick in next year's draft class.

Don't expect a trade for that elusive stretch 4 or backup center.  I believe Morey will outsmart us all yet again.

The Pittsburgh Penguins for a 3rd rounder, hah! This made me laugh. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users