Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

Do not trade D-Mo

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#21 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,128 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

It only takes one hole in your game to render the whole package worthless.  Between Hakeem and Motumbo--shouldn't we have the best big-man training camp in the world?  Motumbo fixes the defense and Hakeem fixes the offense...Go!

Ideally we use D-Mo and T-rob based on game situations....start D-Mo, get the lead, switch to t-rob for defense and rebounding....if the other team comes back...re-insert D-mo and re-take the lead.  Repeat as needed.  Ah, if only it were that easy.

#22 DaDakota

DaDakota

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:49 AM

Are you saying that Dmo is Holy? EVEN BETTER !

It only takes one hole in your game to render the whole package worthless. 

#23 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:54 AM

D-Mo reminds me of Bargs.

Why so Serious? :D

#24 DaDakota

DaDakota

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:57 AM

I've been thoroughly impressed, but trying to stay grounded.  I've seen so many young players show signs and then end up being nothing.

He has almost all of the skills you'd want from a big man.  Shooting, dribble-drive, post-up moves.  Hunger/attitude.  In theory, there's no way this guy shouldn't end up becoming an offensive star.  But we'll see.  At least he's getting his chance now.

Agreed, and let's not forget he is super quick- which is a major advantage for a big, and also left handed.

I mean to me, he has EVERYTHING you need to succeed, doesn't guarantee it, but I like him more than anyone else on the Rox outside of Harden.

DD

#25 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,123 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:31 AM

Agreed, and let's not forget he is super quick- which is a major advantage for a big, and also left handed.

I mean to me, he has EVERYTHING you need to succeed, doesn't guarantee it, but I like him more than anyone else on the Rox outside of Harden.

DD

@DD i'm with you. I don't know why posters keep trying to trade off our PFs. we are set at that position. time will work out the kinks. I wouldn't trade d-mo or t-rob or t-jones. between them we will find our starter and backup. I expect each of those players to have their moment in the sun so to speak. their play, hunger, passion, basketball IQ, will tell us who to choose. we just need to be patient.............man I see myself writing that a lot since the trade deadline. I saw where the rockets sign a center today. greg ohlbrecht 6-11 255pounds. he has been shooting 60% from the floor in the d-league. I think we need to trust morey's eye for talent. he is really bringing in the goods right now. looks like he has scored on every player except royce...........ah can't win them all :lol:

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#26 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,128 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:03 AM

RBF, I don't think we all want to trade away our PF's...in fact, if we took a poll (can we do that on here?) i would assume the majority of us would love to see our guys succeed and blossom into the players we all think they can be in lieu of a trade.  There is that unknown and the bird in the hand vs. 2 in the bush thing in play here.  A guy like K. Love is a proven commodity and satisfies every need at the PF position...his defense isn't lauded, but alongside Asik he should be fine.  I think that is all....Love is instant gratification--which is one kind of awesome....the other is watching the young kids mature and grow into their own--which is another kind of awesome.  My feeling stands that once the dust settles one to two of these PF's will be dealt...the only question is, "what for?"

#27 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,123 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:23 AM

RBF, I don't think we all want to trade away our PF's...in fact, if we took a poll (can we do that on here?) i would assume the majority of us would love to see our guys succeed and blossom into the players we all think they can be in lieu of a trade.  There is that unknown and the bird in the hand vs. 2 in the bush thing in play here.  A guy like K. Love is a proven commodity and satisfies every need at the PF position...his defense isn't lauded, but alongside Asik he should be fine.  I think that is all....Love is instant gratification--which is one kind of awesome....the other is watching the young kids mature and grow into their own--which is another kind of awesome.  My feeling stands that once the dust settles one to two of these PF's will be dealt...the only question is, "what for?"

unless we get howard or cousins I don't see any.........ANY bigs I think we should chase. as for k-love when he learns how to stop breaking that hand of his then I might be interested :rolleyes: and even then only mildly. great offensive player, but his defense is subpar at best. one of the great things about HAKEEM was I got to watch him grow up. when we got him he was as raw as some of these kids we have now. i'm not saying that we have another HAKEEM, but we have some very very very good talent at PF.  lets watch them grow up. lets work on some other areas of the team. I admit I thought j-smith would be good with this team, but now I am convinced we should not make a move at PF period. also unless we are upgrading we should leave center alone too. (ie howard or cousins). we need wings who can shoot and play D and a better PG. PG is off the table right now because there is nothing on the market better than lin, but if that changes who knows. as for wings who can shoot and play D. if we can match harden with a star at SF and use parsons as 6th man that is a better plan to me. 

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#28 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:00 AM

D-Mo reminds me of Bargs.

Right now, yes D-Mo reminds me somewhat of Bargs. The plan is for D-Mo to become a more complete NBA player than Bargs will ever be. This is one of the advantages of having a Coach McHale, he did succeed in the NBA as a 4, perhaps not quite the distance shooter as someone like a D-Mo but McHale should be able to teach D-Mo how to play solid defense and make more offensive moves closer to the bucket over time if given the opportunity.

#29 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,182 posts
    • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

To be honest, I'd be quite happy if he turned into a Bargnani-type player (though obviously at this point it's just one of a few routes Motiejunas could end up going down). One of the main reasons Bargnani is being panned right now is that his contract is awful, but I'd trust Morey not to make a mistake like the Toronto FO did. Once you take away that context (and his status as a former #1 pick), he's not that bad a player - there were even All Star shouts for him last season before he went down injured.

ST

#30 DaDakota

DaDakota

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 165 posts
    • LocationAustin

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

Bargs is not nearly as quick or refined on the block.

DMo is more young Dirk with a post game, IMO

#31 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,596 posts
    • LocationAlabama

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:47 PM

Young Dirk with a post game???????????????????????????????????????? Dirk is a top 5 PF all time player in my opinion. He also has the most unguardable shot in the history of the game. I think you're setting the bar too high, imo.

#32 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,008 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

Young Dirk with a post game???????????????????????????????????????? Dirk is a top 5 PF all time player in my opinion. He also has the most unguardable shot in the history of the game. I think you're setting the bar too high, imo.

But at 22 he wasn't. He was D-Mo more or less. He learned that kick leg out shot over here working on his game. The comparison for D-Mo to a 22 year old Dirk is plausible.

#33 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 2,596 posts
      • LocationAlabama

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

In that vein, Harden's the next Jordan. Asik is the next Russell. And Parsons is the next Bird.

#34 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,128 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

Honestly, I do believe D-Mo has a higher Ceiling than Dirk.  He is more athletic and will benefit from having role models and mentors--something Dirk didn't really have as he was mostly a one-of-a-kind talent when he arrived.  He seems driven and I believe that, after being thoroughly humbled this season, he will come back much improved--he just seems to have that kind of drive.  If he gets traded....even if it is for a championship piece....I think we will ultimately lament letting him go.

Oh, TTDN, you forgot that Royce White is the next Magic Johnson :)

#35 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 2,596 posts
      • LocationAlabama

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

D-Mo has a higher ceiling than Dirk?

Harden has a higher ceiling than Jordan

Lin has a higher ceiling than Magic.

Asik has a higher ceiling than Russell.

White has a higher ceiling than Lebron

Thomas Robinson has a higher ceiling than Hakeem.

Can we please stop with all this nonsense hyperbole?

#36 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 702 posts
      • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

You forgot that McHale has a higher ceilling than Pop, Sloan, Phil and Auerbach all combined :D

#37 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,128 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

Dang TTDN....It's ok....It's called a point of reference.  We aren't sounding the horns and proclaiming the chosen one has arrived.  Besides, I would argue that Dirk is not a top 5 PF of all time and the comparison is not so grand.  Dirk's game has always had holes in it, but when trying to find a player with a skill set similar to D-Mo, in a body similar to D-mo, and with a background similar to D-mo you wind up at Dirk.  If I am missing a better comparison please share because I can't think of one....  Chris Bosh?  Bargnani has already been mentioned....Gallinari too.  I think the thing that is most intriguing and unique is how quick he is around the basket....reminds me of Kenyon Martin and Antwan Jamison when they were in college....just seemed to be moving at a different speed from everyone else.  To do that on the NBA level is amazing and if he can get that perfectly harnessed he will dominate--period.  This is why we will not trade D-mo....unless we do :rolleyes:

#38 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 2,596 posts
      • LocationAlabama

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

It's a bit different to say that he reminds you of a player and then to say that he has the potential to be better. I don't get all the D-Mo fanaticism. It's almost worse than the Lin fans saying he's a top 5 player. D-Mo has a high ceiling but we don't know what that ceiling will be. You can have your opinion, but if I think it's idiotic, I'll say so (with sarcasm).

#39 DaDakota

DaDakota

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 165 posts
      • LocationAustin

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

Geez, saying he reminds you of a YOUNG Dirk, does not mean that he will reach that level - come on - that is just saying he is a very young, tall, skilled big man.

And, BY THE WAY, he is starting against the Bucks on Wed night - say hello to your PF of the next 10ish years boys and girls.

;)

DD

#40 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,128 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

It's a bit different to say that he reminds you of a player and then to say that he has the potential to be better. I don't get all the D-Mo fanaticism. It's almost worse than the Lin fans saying he's a top 5 player. D-Mo has a high ceiling but we don't know what that ceiling will be. You can have your opinion, but if I think it's idiotic, I'll say so (with sarcasm)

I'm just using my eyes and sharing what I see based on a lifetime of watching basketball.  The hyperbole mostly seems to come from you putting it into other's mouths...I feel like my takes on D-Mo are fair and mitigated by my awareness of the long history of failed/mediocre euro-bigs.  One of the best indicators is what I call "dead legs" (where they look heavy and cumbersome and tend to move that way) and a shooter's touch.  The dead legs are bad (D-mo does not have this) and the touch is good (D-mo does have this)....hence, my optimism.  Time will tell.

As for the "difference".... in my opinion D-Mo does remind me of Dirk....Dirk evolved with more speed, better instincts, a superior post-game and more raw talent than Dirk arrived with.  Yeah, that excites me.

Unclear on where the sarcasm is directed or used.... :unsure:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users