Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

Do not trade D-Mo

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#81 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

Tony Parker has become a world class PG and he couldn't shoot a lick when he first came into the league. Now he can shoot 3s. He can shoot fadeaways. He can pull up and shoot jumpers. He has nearly every possible shot in his arsenal. Hard work can teach you to shoot. Maybe Parker's the exception, not the rule, but we'll see with Kawhi's emergence. He's gotten a realiable 3 point corner shot and has developed a few other offensive moves that he displayed in the summer league. Of course, Rondo's never gotten a shot, so that's a detriment to my point, but when you listen to most GMs, they say that you can learn a jumper more easily than you can learn defense. For a big man, look at Ibaka. He's got a nice jumper now.

Why so Serious? :D

#82 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

I wouldn't say tony Parker is a good defensive player...and yeah ibaka has a decent mid range shot but he still isn't a skilled offensive player.

#83 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,596 posts
    • LocationAlabama

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

I agree, but he's getting better. And how is Parker not a good defensive player? He's won rings on a team that had shut down defense. He may not be the gaudy stat sheet stuffer, but he plays good defense and also has excellent help defense. He's not a great defensive player, but he is a good one.

#84 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,290 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

I was just looking at Parker's stats and he's never shot less than 42% so it's not like he was a bad offensive player when he first came in.

#85 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 2,596 posts
      • LocationAlabama

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:54 PM

Almost all of his points were from layups. You might have forgotten, but he was as fast as Iverson when he came into the league.

#86 Jeby

Jeby

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 208 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

Going back to D-Mo's rebounding and defense: don't watch his rebounding numbers without watching his play. As long as he plays next to Asik--one of the premier rebounders in the NBA--D-Mo's rebounding numbers will suffer. Asik stays close to the basket to gather misses created by good defensive effort from his teammates. Motiejunas can help the TEAM rebound best by rotating fast and hard to contest shots, and then focus on boxing out his man before diving for the ball. On a lot of those possessions, the ball is going to end up in Asik's hands, not D-Mo's, and that's okay. I'd rather have Asik making the outlet pass as D-Mo hustles down the court to establish early deep post position in transition.
        Of course, as guys like Kevin Love and David Lee have proven, going for rebounds rather than good defensive rotations is the best way to put up big numbers and get a big contract (this was noted in ESPN's coverage of the Sloan Conference). Since D-Mo is still a few years from free agency, I think he'll try to make the right team play.
        One last note: even though I and many others have criticized Patterson for his lack of rebounding, I think part of that was due to him going for the shot-contest first, and the rebound second, knowing that Asik would reel the ball in. On Sacramento, where he has no motivation other than stats, I expect his rebounding numbers to rise.
        "Assets" -- Daryl Morey

#87 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 2,596 posts
        • LocationAlabama

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:54 PM

I agree somewhat. But Chandler gets rebounds without sacrificing defensive prowess. It's not a one or the other type thing. Look at Duncan/Dwight(pre injury)/Chandler/Noah/etc...

#88 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 3,216 posts
        • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

Yeah, I think those excuses are only valid if you're on a great rebounding team so there aren't many rebounds to go around. From what I've seen, Motie doesn't know how to get in a low stance and fight for rebounding position, he's always standing tall and relying on his height and length to get rebounds. He's still young though, and I'm sure McHale will work on his rebounding fundamentals during the off-season. 

#89 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 2,596 posts
        • LocationAlabama

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:29 AM

DMo's expert passing tonight was great. If he can keep those passes up, we'll get wide open looks for sure.

#90 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 2,008 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:58 AM

D-Mo = HOF. Too much pressure to put in a guy <5 starts?

#91 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPipPip
          • 702 posts
          • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

DMo's expert passing tonight was great. If he can keep those passes up, we'll get wide open looks for sure.

I know it was just one, but how about that crossed pass from Robinson to Garcia for an open 3?

#92 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 3,216 posts
          • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

I pesonally found D-Mo's quick touch pass to Asik inside the most impressive of his assists, even Asik looked surprised because he paused for at least a second looking down at the ball in his hands seemingly thinking to himself "whoa, how did this get here?"

#93 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 2,596 posts
          • LocationAlabama

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

That was pretty funny too. He also passed up a 3 that "might" be contested to a corner 3(which has a higher percentage), which had "zero" chance of being contested. That selflessness will make him improve faster.

#94 Jason

Jason

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 361 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:41 PM

D-Mo had all the tools to be an offensive star. He can post up with an array of moves, can shoot out to three point range, runs the floor very well for a seven footer, can put the ball on the floor, and has even shown some pretty good passing ability. The only question marks for me are his rebounding and overall defensive ability. But there are a lot of stars who can't play defense (Nash, Dirk, Barkley).

#95 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 2,596 posts
            • LocationAlabama

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:40 PM

Dirk can play defense. He's average defensively since 2007.

#96 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 2,008 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:33 AM

2007 when he turned 28. So D-Mo has 6 years to be average.

#97 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPipPip
              • 891 posts
              • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:08 AM

2007 when he turned 28. So D-Mo has 6 years to be average.

And to be on Dirk's near-prime level on offense :P 

#98 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 4,128 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:36 PM

In his last 9 games D-Mo's per 36 numbers are looking good.

pts      fg%     ast     reb     stl

19.8    .538     3.2     7.2     0.2

He is still a defensive novice and picks up fouls for tying his shoes wrong, apparently.  I'm not sure why he got that foul called for the illegal screen last night...I guess he wasn't completely set yet, but guys do that all the time.  He also continues to move quickly enough to draw charges--so that's good.  Keep it up...

#99 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 3,216 posts
              • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:10 PM

I've noticed that the refs have been pretty rough on D-Mo. He has been called for all sorts of things that normally wouldn't get called, I can imagine his confusion, the refs really should be more consistent.

#100 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 4,128 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

I'll write it off as the rookie treatment....He'll learn and they will lay off him in time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users