Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

Do not trade D-Mo

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#41 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:50 AM

To be honest, I'd be quite happy if he turned into a Bargnani-type player (though obviously at this point it's just one of a few routes Motiejunas could end up going down). One of the main reasons Bargnani is being panned right now is that his contract is awful, but I'd trust Morey not to make a mistake like the Toronto FO did. Once you take away that context (and his status as a former #1 pick), he's not that bad a player - there were even All Star shouts for him last season before he went down injured.

ST

I often agree with ST's takes but on this one, I just have to disagree. I just think Bargs is too one-dimensional and I would hope that Motiejunas could be a more effective rebounder, passer and defender than Bargs has ever proven to be.

#42 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,182 posts
    • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

To be honest, I'd be quite happy if he turned into a Bargnani-type player (though obviously at this point it's just one of a few routes Motiejunas could end up going down). One of the main reasons Bargnani is being panned right now is that his contract is awful, but I'd trust Morey not to make a mistake like the Toronto FO did. Once you take away that context (and his status as a former #1 pick), he's not that bad a player - there were even All Star shouts for him last season before he went down injured.

ST

I often agree with ST's takes but on this one, I just have to disagree. I just think Bargs is too one-dimensional and I would hope that Motiejunas could be a more effective rebounder, passer and defender than Bargs has ever proven to be.

Fair enough - I just reckon that given the role he's going to be asked to fulfill (eg. the stretch four like Patterson and Morris were) the key skill he needs to have is outside shooting. All the other stuff is secondary - the rebounding would be nice but is not totally necessary since Asik gobbles stuff up (nor is it emphasized given what his positioning will be like on offence most of the time), the passing once again would be useful (and he has shown flashes of good passing ability, so it's not out of the question) but if it's an either/or choice (not that it is at his age) then there are other areas that would have more payoff, and the defence...well better defence is always appreciated, no arguments there.

It should be mentioned that one of the things that gained Bargnani some fans when he was playing well last season was that his defence and rebounding picked up a bit - in his current state where he's not doing those things quite as well, he's not quite as attractive a role-model.

ST

#43 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,596 posts
    • LocationAlabama

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

I don't care about offensive rebounds, because it's almost impossible to get offensive rebounds when you're at the 3 point line. But we DO need a PF who can box out on defense and keep OTHER teams from getting offensive rebounds.

Why so Serious? :D

#44 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,128 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

boxing out is technique....and remembering to do it.  I think D-Mo can do that; although, with his speed and size he may be used to beating people to the ball without needing to "box out".  Either way, that's a coaching issue...D-Mo can rebound for us.

#45 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 891 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

I'm pumped to see DMo's game tonight. Hope he really delivers haha; should be an exciting one to watch!

#46 DaDakota

DaDakota

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 165 posts
    • LocationAustin

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

He looked pretty good.

DD

#47 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,596 posts
    • LocationAlabama

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

He did look good. And I see the potential, but he's not there yet. He needs a few years of non-stop working to get into all-star conversations. I think a lot of people are gushing over him and ignoring the fact that he'll need time to develop.

Why so Serious? :D

#48 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,128 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

He did look good. And I see the potential, but he's not there yet. He needs a few years of non-stop working to get into all-star conversations. I think a lot of people are gushing over him and ignoring the fact that he'll need time to develop.

Really????  You can backtrack all you want, but no one thinks he doesn't need time to develop....we're gushing over him because we can see where he is now and where he can be with hard work...and all signs point to him having the work ethic, desire, and ability to achieve.

#49 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 891 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

Interestingly enough, my feelings for DMo at the moment sort of mirror my feelings for Asik near the beginning of the season and how that changed over time. Hope it continues in that trend :P

#50 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 3,216 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:17 AM

Does anyone else think D-Mo could be a 20ppg guy as soon as next season? I'm loving the Rockets future!

#51 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
    • 1,547 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:33 AM

Regarding the "higher ceiling than Dirk" statement, I was actually thinking about that this morning.  Now obviously, there's about a 1% chance he'll end up better than Dirk as Dirk is one of the greatest of all-time.  But ceiling-wise?  It's completely factual to say that he has a greater ceiling.  Dirk didn't have these post moves at this age.  

I could see him average 15ppg the rest of the way if he gets the minutes.  And if that defense picks up to get him the minutes.  That will be the big question.  

#52 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 3,216 posts
      • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:41 AM

He won't be as good a shooter as Dirk, but he be better in the post and better on the boards.

#53 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,123 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:26 AM

Young Dirk with a post game???????????????????????????????????????? Dirk is a top 5 PF all time player in my opinion. He also has the most unguardable shot in the history of the game. I think you're setting the bar too high, imo.

you're kidding right............tell me you're kidding. top 5 of all time......you must not have been watching basketball long. how about russell, karl malone, tim duncan, kevin garnett, mchale, barkley, elvin hayes just to name a few. maybe he makes top 10, but top 5....out of the question. dirk didn't develope a post game until much later. when he came into the league he was an outside shooter. most of the players I mentioned were more dominant than dirk. hell if sampson knees had held up he would have been better. dirk is way down my list of dominant PFs.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#54 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 3,216 posts
      • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:50 AM

Alot of us never got to watch guys like Hayes, McHale and Pettit because they were way before our time (btw Russell was a Center, not a Forward), so I wouldn't blame the poor guy for thinking Dirk is a top 5 PF of all time.

#55 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,128 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

I do think D-Mo can be as good a shooter as Dirk....remember, we are thinking about him in the last few years, but his shot has developed over time as will D-MO's....he's got a shooter's touch, good form, and the height to get a shot off from anywhere....combine that with his motivation to be better and that's a recipe for Dirk 2.0  The Baltic Baller....

#56 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 702 posts
      • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

I don't want to discuss whether who has the higher ceilling. The hype that always abounded here regarding D-Mo was because we all thought that he could be special, and that's why paraphrasing this topic's title, we didn't want to trade Motie, and apparently, from what we've seen so far, there are tons of reasons to keep him for the long haul. He has lots of similarities with Dirk at 22, with addition that he is left-handed. And the kid seems to go all-in every minute, if he keeps up and has good luck with injuries, he could become into something great. Right now, we'd have to give an A+ to Morey and our scouting staff for fiding this gem. I read some time ago about him and Valanciunas, and everybody was more thrilled about Valanciunas' potential, right now I can't see why :D

#57 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,128 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

I don't want to discuss whether who has the higher ceilling. The hype that always abounded here regarding D-Mo was because we all thought that he could be special, and that's why paraphrasing this topic's title, we didn't want to trade Motie, and apparently, from what we've seen so far, there are tons of reasons to keep him for the long haul. He has lots of similarities with Dirk at 22, with addition that he is left-handed. And the kid seems to go all-in every minute, if he keeps up and has good luck with injuries, he could become into something great. Right now, we'd have to give an A+ to Morey and our scouting staff for fiding this gem. I read some time ago about him and Valanciunas, and everybody was more thrilled about Valanciunas' potential, right now I can't see why :D

Here is a cool article talking about Valanciunas vs. Motiejunas pre-draft (a 5 minute read)

I'm having trouble pasting the quote, but RealGm's website touted Motie as a definite top 10-15 draft pick...

The article claims that D-Mo's ceiling is not that of Dirk, but PAU!!!  How did we forget Pau???  Personally, I am not certain of this comparison....what do you guys think?

#58 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 3,216 posts
      • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:18 PM

Motie's post game is really something special, I honestly think he will be known as the best post player in the league one day which is a title once bestowed on Pau Gasol. I don't see Motie being the shooter Dirk is, so to say he's more like Pau than Dirk really makes sense if you think about it.

#59 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 702 posts
      • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:32 AM

Yes TJG, that's fairly valid. Dirk was never a great passer and D-Mo has showed some little signs he could be a great passer, Pau like. I read the article you posted (thank you, by the way) and luckily, D-Mo hasn't showed lack of effort. He may have mental lapses defensively, but he has shown to be all in. I'm not sure about every team's train of thought, but maybe Toronto thought that Motie would be something like Bargnani 2.0, so they preferred Valanciunas that could provide some good defense and complement his abilities with Bargnani's. Last european tournament (juniors category) showed Valanciunas as the star of the team and I think Motie wasn't even in the roster, he wasn't an Olympian either and Valanciunas did. Once again, I praise our scouting staff, there were 19 teams before that pick, and we got him! (actually, Minnesota drafted him, but we got his rights, not sure if that was the plan all along or just an asset for a greater trade)

#60 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,128 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:37 AM

He seems to embody a blend of the two--Pau and Dirk.  Pauk Gowitzki.  Done.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users