Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

Do not trade D-Mo

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#1 DaDakota

DaDakota

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

I have watched him in Europe and at RGV, plus a few minutes for the Rockets, and IMO, this guy is a MUST keep at all costs guy.

While he is very young and his defense is fairly week, his skillset on offense is off the charts, especially considering he has 2 huge advantages for a big man.

1. He is left handed
2. He is extremely quick.

You do not get 7 footers that are quick like him, they just don't happen often, and it is a major major advantage, and to top it off the guy is left handed which is also a huge advantage.

Outside of Harden this is the one guy I want the Rockets to make untouchable because his potential is on a world class level.

I do wish they would play him more, but understand them bringing him along slowly.

Keep Dmo, please !

DD

#2 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:44 AM

I agree that he looks like he has the tools to be a very good player. On the other hand, I don't think it makes sense to completely ring fence a player on the basis of potential. His trade value should be high, but if a deal comes along that would net a player who is already a star, then I think you take it. Better to have the player who has already proven he can play at a high level over the player who might be able to some day.

ST

#3 DaDakota

DaDakota

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:02 PM

I would like to see him getting some meaningful minutes though, he is by far our best post option.

DD

#4 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:14 AM

I would like to see him getting some meaningful minutes though, he is by far our best post option.

DD

I disagree on this - his defence thus far has looked woeful, and players shouldn't be getting on the court consistently if they can't demonstrate that they can put into practice all the relevant defensive principles. Give him spot minutes until he can show something on that end. The guys who are getting the minutes at the moment need the experience just as much as he does, it's not like any of them are veterans after all.

Plus, it's more than a little hyperbolic to call him 'our best post option'. Maybe in 2-3 seasons, but really I would say Patterson (for all his ungainliness) and Smith are more effective post players, for a start. And frankly, I haven't seen anything from Motie that would make me comfortable ranking him above Asik either. And in any case, the majority of action in our system is started from the wing - with the way McHale wants to spread the floor a post game is not particularly necessary from our 4.

ST

#5 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

If motie can catch the ball he's already a better offensive player than asik. I like motie but We have too many Pfs someone is going to be traded and he might have the most value.

#6 DaDakota

DaDakota

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 165 posts
    • LocationAustin

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

D-mo is our best post up player on offense, followed by Greg Smith, and those two are far and away ahead of anyone else.

The reason you give him minutes over PPat or Morris is those guys will always be 6'8 or 9, and DMo is over 7 feet tall.

You can not teach height - the quicker he gets used to the NBA the better the team will be, IMO.

DMo's ceiling is higher than anyone on the Rockets not named Harden, IMO.

DD

#7 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,182 posts
    • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

Hmm, does anyone have Synergy access? Because I think this is an argument that could be resolved fairly easily by looking at the PPP stats on postups. I'm inclined to argue that while in theory D-Mo could become our best post player, he has not reached that point yet, but I don't have the stats to back it up.

ST

#8 DaDakota

DaDakota

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 165 posts
    • LocationAustin

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

Sir,

I don't think they would be relevent with such a small sample size....if you watched him play with the RGV, you would have seen tons of post moves and great finishing.

IMO, the Rockets need to identify whom they are looking at building around and get started building, PPat is what he is, a nice 6th man, or low level starter, Morris is a little better rebounder and offensive player, but not a good defender.

And TJones is also in the mix.....RWhite should be dumped, we don't need the drama and he is a headcase to boot.

Either way, having a quick 7 foot, left handed spread 4 would be a major advantage, just look at a young Dirk...and Dmo is way more coordinated than Dirk.......not saying he will get to Dirk's level, that would be due to hard work, but he is a much better athlete than him.

DD

#9 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 373 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

I totally have to agree with DD. Baring a trade for an all-star the Rockets need to see what D-Mo can do. And I think that they will. He has been having reasonable games on D during garbage time. In the Griz game he had 1 steal, 1 block, 2 rebounds, one brutal charge taken and 2 passes tipped. In four minutes.

But the biggest reason to feel optimistic about D-Mo is certainly his offense. Is there a better match out there for the Rockets spread offense? Excepting K. Love of course. Once his game comes together he could be a nightmare match up problem. The guy is quick, skilled, runs the floor with the guards, and is really tall.

#10 DaDakota

DaDakota

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 165 posts
      • LocationAustin

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:54 AM

Frustrating to watch Morris suck so bad tonight and not see DMo get a shot, I mean a long, quick 7 footer? What is McHale's problem? Aldrich over Smith, No Dmo?

SMDH !

DD

#11 sircharles

sircharles

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 283 posts
      • LocationAustin Tx

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

what is mchales problem? maybe trying to win the game? i know you're in love with D-mo but the fact of the matter is the rockets are in 6th place right now so they arent looking to re-tool the line up that much. D-mo also really isnt that great of a defender yet, sure he has gotten some blocks and steals in garbage time, but thats what it is....garbage time against garbage players, so not that impressive. you're acting like the second they put him in he is going to destroy everyone. Morris has been playing great, his shot may be off a little right now but he still goes hard every second he is on the court, getting offensive rebounds and just playing hard. If we were losing i would agree with you, but we arent doing too bad.

#12 sircharles

sircharles

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 283 posts
      • LocationAustin Tx

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

and RGV is not the NBA, not even close.

#13 DaDakota

DaDakota

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 165 posts
      • LocationAustin

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:34 AM

True,
      But the truth is we are not contenders this year, and should be identifying our key players and getting them playing time.

I know we have PPat and Morris too, and they need to develop - I guess the logjam is just the problem.

DD

#14 sircharles

sircharles

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 283 posts
      • LocationAustin Tx

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

you may not view the team as a contending team but as long as the team is the playoff hunt then the franchise will view them as contenders. we're better than the lakers.

#15 DaDakota

DaDakota

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 165 posts
      • LocationAustin

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:37 PM

We are better than the Lakers as far as chemstry now, but do you really believe that we will remain above them? I certainly do not.

PPat will never be what Dmo can be, neither will Morris, their athletic short comings will always limit them, IMO.

Either way, I am sure DMo will get a shot at some point.

DD

#16 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,182 posts
      • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

We are better than the Lakers as far as chemstry now, but do you really believe that we will remain above them? I certainly do not.

PPat will never be what Dmo can be, neither will Morris, their athletic short comings will always limit them, IMO.

Either way, I am sure DMo will get a shot at some point.

DD

DMo will get his shot eventually, but in the same way that Morris struggled in his first year it is not necessarily the case that his shot will be in his rookie season. There's plenty of competition at his position and at the moment I don't think he's ready to help his team win (certainly shouldn't be taking more than spot minutes from Morris/Patterson). If Parsons goes down at the same time as Patterson/Morris, I think you'll be more likely to see him get some extended time.

I'm glad that you've seen him in the D-League and he's performing well, but didn't Morris show similar dominance when he was down there (including some sweet post moves)? The gulf in quality between the D-League and the NBA is still slightly too much to be able to draw concrete conclusions about the viability of his post-game at this point.

ST

#17 DaDakota

DaDakota

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 165 posts
      • LocationAustin

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

Nice post Op.

DD

#18 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 2,008 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

I say trade him. He is unless. Just eating up a roster spot when we could have someone like Jermaine O'Neil.

In all seriousness, unless he was the finishing piece in a trade for K-Love over the summer, I don't see D-Mo leaving for awhile.

#19 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
        • 1,547 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

I've been thoroughly impressed, but trying to stay grounded.  I've seen so many young players show signs and then end up being nothing.

He has almost all of the skills you'd want from a big man.  Shooting, dribble-drive, post-up moves.  Hunger/attitude.  In theory, there's no way this guy shouldn't end up becoming an offensive star.  But we'll see.  At least he's getting his chance now.

#20 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPipPip
          • 702 posts
          • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

I've been thoroughly impressed, but trying to stay grounded.  I've seen so many young players show signs and then end up being nothing.

He has almost all of the skills you'd want from a big man.  Shooting, dribble-drive, post-up moves.  Hunger/attitude.  In theory, there's no way this guy shouldn't end up becoming an offensive star.  But we'll see.  At least he's getting his chance now.

Bargnani 2.0? Let's hope not :D Noone can play that bad defense anyway...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users