Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

General NBA Free Agency Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_RedStewie_*

Guest_RedStewie_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:12 PM

No, i meant how did you stretch Asik's offer to the team having confidence in Montiejunas.

I would offer the max to Hibbert even though the Blazers already beat us to it. He is a franchise center, an all star and doesn't have a history of injuries and has always been a class act.
Asik on the other hand is a stiff and a career backup, who knows what he will do as a starter.

#22 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:14 PM

Thanks for the contract info. I still don't agree with the deal though. Asik promotes nothing but mediocrity, something we're all tired of. If it came down to him being the only option then okay, but without speaking to other bigs how can we know that for sure?

#23 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 338 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:19 PM

RedStewie,
      Since Asik is a defender,not a scorer and as McHale wants to go in to his bigs,at least one of his bigs has got to be able to score-and score routinely 18-20+ppg. I don't see that out of Patterson,White has been described more as a passer for others and finisher off others,not as a guy who gets his own. McHale worked Motie out in Europe recently and it's very possible he came away convinced Motie has the tools to score big in NBA.(Not that he will,but that he has the right tools,physically,skillwise,mentally.)
      The plan might be to give Motie a yr to learn the NBA,the US,work on his game while Pat(or Scola) holds down the starting PF.
      Then next yr transition Motie into starting line-up,use White as third big able to play off either,find a 20ppg scoring wing who competes on D and fill in w/solid role players and develop a strong bench. In essence a better Memphis,as opposed to star driven OKC or Miami.(Altho having two big,quick defensive SFs in Parsons and esp the strength of Jones won't be bad either.)

#24 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 437 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:24 PM

If we're talking foundations, Gordon is a cracked foundation. I would love to have his skills on our team, but it does us no good if he's consistently in a suit and not in uniform. In his first four years he missed the following: 4games(08-09), 20games(09-10), 26games(10-11), 57games(11-12). Seems there is an ugly trend to his endurance.

If I played on the Clippers (and the Hornets last year) I'd miss a lot of games too... lol.

As far as Asik, C get overpaid. They just do. Keep in mind Kwame Brown got 3 million dollar that year. No way Hibbert's offer doesn't get matched by Indy, so it makes no sense to make that offer instead. Asik can be a solid piece on a good team, He is honestly the best guy that we have a shot at, Unless the Nets wouldn't match an offer to Lopez (which I think they would). Hibbert is getting matched, McGee probably gets matched, Kaman is a taller, poor man's Luis Scola, Hibbert is the only guy of the 3 that I think is definitely better of that group is Hibbert, McGee maybe but seems to have more baggage. Look at Asik's per 48 minute stats. They are absolutely sick. I'm not saying he gets these because he obviously won't play 48 minutes but if you take his per 48 and make it 30 his stats are over 6+ points, 10+ rebounds, 3.9 offensive rebounds, 2+ blocks, over 50% shooting. Is he the greatest C in the league? Absolutely not but he is very serviceable and those stats easily put him in the top half of centers.

#25 Guest_RedStewie_*

Guest_RedStewie_*
        • Guests

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:25 PM

Thats a huge stretch Stephen, just saying. Montie is a pf too, if we can turn him into a center, thats one less pf on our squad.

Did anyone else hear that Dwight Howard was thinking of suing the Orlando Magics for manipulating him into opting in lol

#26 sircharles

sircharles

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 283 posts
        • LocationAustin Tx

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

the more i read about dwight howard the more i hope we never get him. dude comes across as the biggest titty baby ever. heard today that he contacted the league himself to see if there was anyway he could force his way out of orlando.

#27 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
        • 1,564 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

@Ostrow- Asik has good numbers in defensive stats, offensively though he needs a lot of work. His FG % is skewed because all he does are put-backs. As far as Hibbert/McGee go, I agree they will most likely be matched but what's the harm? If Portland is offering the max already, then Indy is on the hook for that for sure. If we come in and match Portland's offer, Indy still gets first refusal, and if they somehow do refuse to match then it's up to Roy to decide. I'm not certain Portland is a better destination than Houston, sure they've got Aldridge to pair him with but you never know. As for McGee, I've heard nothing so far involving him and that could be a good thing.

@Stewie- The worst part is, the players association is willing to file for him! It's funny in my opinion because the Magic had their chance to get something in return for Dwight several times. To us at the deadline, the Nets early last year, and the deadline. Then we again gave them an out prior to the draft, and they didn't bite. Serves them right. If the ETO is overturned by the league Dwight will be a free agent this summer, the Magic will get nothing in return, and I will be satisfied.

#28 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,124 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:34 PM

I say yes to gordon trade. he is young and has all star talent. he does have an injury problem, but well worth the risk. no he is not martin, who when he came here also had a injury problem.......remember. when healthy gordon is a top 5 player at his position, plus sign and trade helps us ease the log jam at forward. on asik this is absolutly a good move. I know you all don't like him, but he is a good defensive player. remember how much better we played last year when camby was in. we must have a player at the center position who can stop the parade of driving to to basket. asik can do that. is he howard? no....can he become better....yes. as for hibbert. I say no to a max deal. hibbert is not a max player....not even close. who ever pays him that will be feeling like chicago feels about boozer in a couple of years. there is such a shortage of quality big men in the league. this is the only reason we would even consider something as stupid as this. if you sign hibbert your team is trapped for the next 4 years paying something like 18 mil per. now think about that you can get asik for 8 mil per and hibbert for 18 mil per. is there 10 mil per difference in their games.............no. either of these players is just going to be a bandage at the position so do you need the bandage with the decoration on it or the plain bandage. either can get the job done so why spend more than you need to. I know some of you will say oh but hibbert is an all star.....I say that shows how weak the center position is in the east.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#29 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 437 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

I know his field goal percentage is all dunks, but we have a lot of guys who want to score the ball, a lot of PFs who want to shoot, why not get a guy who can be a top 5 defensive C and get us 4 extra possessions a game. The reason it could hurt, hypothetically, is that when they are matched Asik says "o they really wanted someone else, I'd rather go somewhere else as well." Not saying that would happen, but we know how moody NBA players can be.

#30 sircharles

sircharles

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 283 posts
            • LocationAustin Tx

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:39 PM

i really would like the rockets to go after mcgee, i think he has a bad rep just from being on the wizards, but to his defense that franchise was a complete mess. once he got settled down in denver his playing was amazing, averaging a double double when just playing around 20 minutes, he can score around the rim, has a decent mid range shot, and his shot blocking is superb. get him in houston with mchale and camby and i think he will turn into a amazing center.

#31 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
            • 1,564 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

Max this year is 4years 58m. Thats 14.5 per year. If we offered Asik the 5-5-11-11 deal, that means Hibbert would only be making 3.5m more on the last two years of the contract. That is absolutely worthwhile for us.

#32 Guest_RedStewie_*

Guest_RedStewie_*
              • Guests

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

I would take McGee over Asik too but Denver will match McGee, if they don't, then they just lost Nene for nothing.
              Ever since he left DC and Blatche's influence lol, he has cut down on his boneheaded decisions and he's only 24

#33 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 4,124 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:49 PM

sircharles:
              couldn't agree more on mcgee. plus you could probably get him for cheaper than either hibbert or asik. denver may not match because they are very close to the tax line.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#34 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
              • 1,564 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:08 PM

Ak-47 returning to the NBA?

http://www.rotoworld...l-headlines?r=1

I say no, I need no more forwards.

Depending on the team that pursues him it may lead to them letting a Center go? IDK Im tired and Im hoping for anything but Asik at the moment.

#35 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 4,124 posts
                • Locationhouston

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:11 PM

ak-47 is not a center. he is a sf who can play pf for short burst.

#36 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
                • 1,564 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:13 PM

Editted the post to better reflect my point of him coming back. In no way did I mean he was a center lol.

#37 sircharles

sircharles

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 283 posts
                  • LocationAustin Tx

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:46 PM

i think we have a good shot at mcgee due to denver's salary cap and also i believe they are more interested in turning mozgov into a more solid starter.

#38 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
                  • 1,564 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

If they didn't believe/want McGee though they wouldnt have traded for him. Their cap issues would be the only thing impending them from resigning him and I still think they can get it done.

#39 sircharles

sircharles

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 283 posts
                    • LocationAustin Tx

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:03 PM

very true, lets just hope not. hah

#40 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPip
                    • 1,182 posts
                    • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:26 PM

I disagree with people saying we should go after McGee or Hibbert. Neither of these guys are worth the max, and that's what you'd have to pay to get them. If you go after one of them and they don't pan out then you are stuck with them for 4 years - nobody will be willing to let you trade that millstone off your neck. These days, dominance doesn't come from the Centre position in the NBA - competence is sufficient from that spot. And that's why I think Asik is a good choice. Defensive Cs make the rest of the team better, and that's what he'll do. Plus I think we actually have a realistic shot of getting him, whereas I fully expect Indiana and Denver to do whatever it takes to keep their guys.

ST

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users