Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

General NBA Free Agency Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#1 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:34 AM

To keep things organized, I thought I'd make a thread to discuss general NBA free agency/trade updates.

Please include a link to any news stories that you post.

The main talk of the moment is Dwight Howard's request for a trade to Brooklyn (when he could have just signed outright had he not waived the opt out..), and the fact that there is actually a market for Joe Johnson.

#2 sircharles

sircharles

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 283 posts
    • LocationAustin Tx

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:39 PM

morey posted on twitter this morning that he is meeting with omer asik.

#3 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
    • 1,564 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

As far as Asik...

http://insider.espn..../20120701#25904

From ESPN Insider Rumor Central.

The Rockets have reportedly already offered Chicago's restricted free agent Omer Asik a contract in the neighborhood of $8 million a year, and the Blazers may be close to making an offer of their own, tweets Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports.
      Asik proved to be a key presence off the bench for the Bulls last season, and the 7-footer from Turkey will turn just 26 years old next week. But Chicago is already strapped for cash and one has to think that it may not be able to match an $8 million/year contract for a bench player who played less than 15 minutes a game last season.
      We'll let you know when we hear more.

PLEASE let Portland offer Asik something better than 8m/year. It's my belief that with this contract offer we will have a Center relatively soon. The only way I see Chicago retaining him at that price is if they find a home for Noah and make them their own starter.

@sircharles(and all other twitter users), please post your twitter info on http://www.red94.net..._2857#entry2857 thread.

#4 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
      • 1,564 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:54 PM

As far as Goran Dragic...

http://insider.espn..../20120701#25904

From ESPN Insider Rumor Central:

If you've ever questioned how important the role of a point guard is on an NBA roster, consider this: Goran Dragic, who burst on the scene with the Rockets last season to the tune of 11.7 ppg and 5.3 apg, is said to be looking for a deal that starts in the $10 million/year range (per Ken Berger of CBSSports.com).
        Berger adds that the Rockets "badly" want to retain the 26-year-old point guard, and have been trying to trade Kyle Lowry in order to give him the job.

Wherever Dragic signs, he wants to be assured that he'll be the starter. Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports tweets

#5 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
        • 2,303 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:26 PM

Thanks for the info Blake and congratulations on your promotion.

I really hope Les Alexander and the Rockets front office do what it takes to keep Dragic. He is young, mature, well studied, shows solid upside and most of all seems like a good fit
        How sweet it is!

#6 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
        • 1,564 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:37 PM

No problem and thanks!

If we go from the disappointment of the finish to the season, to the excitement of a huge Howard trade, to at first look a mediocre draft, to being excited about our draft, to losing out on Dragic for 10m/year and gaining Asik at 8m/year-I will need medication. This would be absolutely unacceptable. With that said, the Rockets offering Asik 8m/year makes me believe that we aren't looking to take back more than one large contract in any trade of Martin, Scola, or Lowry.

#7 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
          • 1,564 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:41 PM

Eric Gordon News by Feigen(Chronicle) via Twitter:

Jonathan Feigen@Jonathan_Feigen
            Rockets to meet with Hornets guard Eric Gordon today, source said. Tour of restricted free agents heats up after Asik last night.

For those of you unaware, the Rockets were talking with the Hornets last night for a trade involving Eric Gordon:

Link: http://www.hornets24...or-eric-gordon/

Hornets would receive Martin and two/three of our young prospects(Patterson, Motiejunas, Lamb, White, Jones) for a sign and trade of Gordon.

#8 Guest_RedStewie_*

Guest_RedStewie_*
            • Guests

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

The Portland Trail Blazers offered Indiana Pacers restricted free agent center Roy Hibbert a maximum contract after meeting with him in Washington, D.C., early Sunday, SI.com has learned.
            A source with knowledge of the meeting said Indiana did not offer a max deal at the outset of the free-agent negotiating period and, unless that changes, Hibbert is leaning toward signing the Trail Blazers' four-year, $58 million offer sheet. The Pacers would then have three days to match the offer and retain the 25-year-old All-Star.

http://sportsillustr...ency/index.html

#9 Guest_RedStewie_*

Guest_RedStewie_*
            • Guests

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:19 PM

Eric Gordon News by Feigen(Chronicle) via Twitter: For those of you unaware, the Rockets were talking with the Hornets last night for a trade involving Eric Gordon: Link: http://www.hornets24...or-eric-gordon/ Hornets would receive Martin and two/three of our young prospects(Patterson, Motiejunas, Lamb, White, Jones) for a sign and trade of Gordon.

I don't know what the infatuation with Gordon is. He's not going to make us a contender anytime soon. And sure, he scores more than Martin but not by that much. I thought the idea was to get rid of one of Martin and Lee, and see what Lamb has to offer

#10 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
            • 1,564 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:29 PM

I agree Stewie, Gordon alone doesn't make us a contender. Gordon can't even stay on the court long enough for me to believe it's worth the "star appeal". There is no denying Gordon's ability. As for getting rid of Martin and/or Lee to make time for Lamb I still believe that is the case, but I think if we made a move for Gordon we would then be letting Lee go(unless Lamb was in the trade).

#11 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 338 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

In addition to a sweet stroke,Gordon will take it strong to the rim,absorbing fouls and making FTs and is a tough competitor on D.
                However chasing him does seem to be a huge slap at Lee. Evidently Lee really does want that $7mil+ deal and the Rockets are holding line on a MLE deal @ $5mil.
                No Gordon is not The Guy. But the key to the piece about Les was his talking about how other top players would approach him about playing w/Yao. That's what Gordon would be,the magnet to attract others.

Dragic's Agent may want a $10mil deal,but he's going to end up w/one averaging $8mil.(And have we already forgotten the claims the Rockets and Dragic had a deal? Somebody blowing smoke,well I never!)

#12 Guest_RedStewie_*

Guest_RedStewie_*
                • Guests

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

I agree Stewie, Gordon alone doesn't make us a contender. Gordon can't even stay on the court long enough for me to believe it's worth the "star appeal". There is no denying Gordon's ability. As for getting rid of Martin and/or Lee to make time for Lamb I still believe that is the case, but I think if we made a move for Gordon we would then be letting Lee go(unless Lamb was in the trade).

The Trailblazers offered the Max deal to Hibbert, do you think we should have offered max to Hibbert instead of 8 mil to Asik

#13 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
                • 1,564 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:42 PM

The reports that the Rockets and Dragic had a deal were untrue, according to Rockets Management. I agree that Dragic will wind up around 8m/yr but you never know. I still think Lee comes back at around 6m.

@Stewie- I figured it would take the max to obtain Hibbert, and although Im unsure he 'deserves' it at this point I still think we should offer it to him too. The part that aggravates me the most is that we seemingly offered Asik 8m/yr without exploring any other options. No rumors of talking to Hibbert or McGee yet we're willing to overpay for a career back up? You can't be serious.

Since we didn't draft a C, and offered Asik that deal minutes after FA began, you've got to think this was a preexisting plan by management. In this case, they must see potential with Asik beyond that of anyone else available, in which I believe they are delusional.

#14 Guest_RedStewie_*

Guest_RedStewie_*
                  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:47 PM

lol i think they looked at Bulls payroll and figured out what they could offer that the Bulls would be unable to match. The only way the Bulls match this, is if they trade someone-- so that being said, I guess Asik is our new center.
                  But i agree o the overpaying a career backup center. Asik is not fluid, he is very rigid and doesn't run the floor. Sure he can defend, but thats if the other team allows him to run back on D before setting up their offense.
                  But he's young and so hopefully McHale can turn him into Dwight Howard (a man can only dream)

#15 Lyfestyle

Lyfestyle

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 182 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:53 PM

NBA free agency never fails to befuddle me. I would *love* to acquire an Eric Gordon. No he doesn't "make us a contender" (NO ONE PLAYER WOULD), but at least we'd have a foundational piece.

The contracts that centers are getting these days is shocking. $8m for Omer Asik? No part of that makes any sense.

#16 Guest_RedStewie_*

Guest_RedStewie_*
                    • Guests

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:56 PM

NBA free agency never fails to befuddle me. I would *love* to acquire an Eric Gordon. No he doesn't "make us a contender" (NO ONE PLAYER WOULD), but at least we'd have a foundational piece.

The contracts that centers are getting these days is shocking. $8m for Omer Asik? No part of that makes any sense.

why acquire Eric Gordon if he's not that much better than Martin. I look at our roster and its filled with too many young unproven players. I thought the idea was to let this players build up chemistry with each other. I mentioned the contender line because if he is not going to do that, why impend on Lamb's development. And some guys would make your team a contender- Dwight Howard.

I agree with you on the ridiculous salaries for centers, i think its cos there is a dearth of quality centers in the NBA now, resulting in some unproven ones getting overpaid

#17 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 338 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:57 PM

No to a Max for Hibbert. Indy can match too easily.

Wonder if the Asik offer is a vote of confidence in Motie,that the team has come to believe Motie will end up being very good.

#18 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
                      • 1,564 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:02 PM

If we're talking foundations, Gordon is a cracked foundation. I would love to have his skills on our team, but it does us no good if he's consistently in a suit and not in uniform. In his first four years he missed the following: 4games(08-09), 20games(09-10), 26games(10-11), 57games(11-12). Seems there is an ugly trend to his endurance.

#19 Guest_RedStewie_*

Guest_RedStewie_*
                        • Guests

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:03 PM

No to a Max for Hibbert. Indy can match too easily.

Wonder if the Asik offer is a vote of confidence in Motie,that the team has come to believe Motie will end up being very good.

How exactly did you stretch the offer to Asik to confidence in Montie.

#20 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 338 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

Keep in mind Asik has an almost unique contract situation.
                          The Bulls can only offer the new MLE,but can match offers.
                          Other teams are limited to the $5mil of new MLE the first two yrs(and the small raise for second yr), BUT can backload the last two yrs al the way up to the max. The only conditions are the third yr has to be fully guaranteed and the average of the deal has to fit into this yr's available Cap space.
                          For example,the Rockets could offer a 4 yr del of $5mil,$5mil,$11mil,$11mil for an average of $8mil a yr,so long as THIS yr they had $8mil in Cap room. Then there's the get out of jail card the Stretch Buy-out offers. If,after 3 yrs he didn't work out,and no trade could be found,the Rockets could stretch out the buyout of his last yr over 3 yrs of Cap hits at $3.67mil a yr. Considering the last two yrs of his buyout would occur under the expected very lucrative new National TV contracts,w/subsequent raising of Salary Cap,it becomes a very reasonable deal.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users