Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.
@  Mario Peña : (13 September 2015 - 05:24 PM) Sad to see Moses pass. I don't remember watching him as a Rocket but I do remember his Philly and Hawks teams. He was the perfect man to mentor Dream. It's a very sad day for his family and friends and there are many.
@  majik19 : (12 September 2015 - 09:01 PM) i just saw a post wishing Yao Ming a happy 35th birthday... am I the only one whose mind is blown that he's only 35?
@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 01:42 AM) one bullet left in the chamber is diff than fully loaded and ready to go. Still stupid...but not like he was prepared for a shooting spree.

Photo

2015 Offseason

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#81 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 20 June 2015 - 02:47 AM

@JG

do I detect a little Dallas hate :lol:  :lol: while I totally agree normally you don't express the satisfaction achieved by sticking a fork in them :lol:

back to Grant.......there seems to be a trend being set in the NBA over the last few drafts....moving more toward the bigger PG's and guards able to play either guard spot. the end result is you still gotta have talent, but the taller PGs are useful during the playoffs. by posting up they automatically create a mismatch that the defense must adjust to. I can picture this in Grant's future. because he is taller, but still possesses quickness I think he could be a sleeper in the first round and may develop more along the line of Mike Conley. he has tools that can help us now of course, but grabbing him could give us our PG for the next decade.

I'm still not that high on Llull. I've seen his highlights, but 1) he doesn't seem to want to leave Spain despite us attempting to lure him for awhile now. 2) I really don't believe his game will do all that well when he faces NBA foes. in the footage I have seen of him he appears to be on the floor with inferior talent.......and while he is preforming well there it may not cut the mustard here. we can't overlook the fact that playing in the NBA WILL BE A BIG STEP UP for him as for as talent level of competition. so to me he is a question mark at best. that's why I think we must chase a NBA PG to help fill the void. I love Bev, but we need a starter caliber PG giving us the luxury of bringing Bev off the bench. I still want Grant in the mix, but put him in a situation where he can develop without having to pack the load right out of the gate.  

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#82 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 21 June 2015 - 04:43 PM

the more I research this kid Tyrus Jones.......I must admit he is impressive. my concern regarding him is his small body of work. he's a one and done player which means a bigger gamble. the rumors are that he didn't get hurt in his last workout for the Rockets. the Rockets shut him down because of a commitment that he would not fall pass 18. while I would still rather Grant......I don't think we can really go wrong with either, but Grant has the one thing you can't teach.........HEIGHT

Edited by rockets best fan, 21 June 2015 - 04:48 PM.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#83 majik19

majik19

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:34 AM

the more I research this kid Tyrus Jones.......I must admit he is impressive. my concern regarding him is his small body of work. he's a one and done player which means a bigger gamble. the rumors are that he didn't get hurt in his last workout for the Rockets. the Rockets shut him down because of a commitment that he would not fall pass 18. while I would still rather Grant......I don't think we can really go wrong with either, but Grant has the one thing you can't teach.........HEIGHT

I think Jones also has some things that are tough to teach, including leadership and doing what it takes to be a winner. 

#84 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,125 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:36 PM

I think Jones also has some things that are tough to teach, including leadership and doing what it takes to be a winner. 

Are you implying Grant doesn't have those traits?  I would disagree.

There's this little gem where he leads his team into OT after being down 8 with 51 seconds to go.  He doesn't just go 1 on 1....he went 1 on Louisville!

What says the most is that with the game on the line the team continued to put the ball in his hands and trust him to make plays for them.  Whether or not he makes those shots, his team believed in him and were led by him.

I know the advanced metrics love Tyus Jones (partially because they incorporate an assumed trajectory due to his age which Grant does not get).  Offensively, there is a lot to like.  A LOT.  I don't know....I just can't help but think he's another Aaron Brooks.  That's not a bad thing, but is it what we need?  If we want that kind of player why not just go sign the real Aaron Brooks?

I was reading over at hoopshype.com and, as usual, Morey is not letting on much about what we're doing.  We've definitely offered Lull a 3 year deal, but as for the draft he just says he'll take the best talent available regardless of need.  That could very well mean another PF (maybe Kevon Looney/Montrezl Harrell--I prefer Harrell) because teams are going to begin hording Draymond Green/Jae Crowder/Paul George types.  One thing is certain--with Morey you never know.

As for Lull, I'm starting to think he is going to take Morey's offer.  I share the concern that moving from the JV to the varsity squad might diminish his effectiveness.  At this point, I have to believe Morey, McHale, and staff have watched the kid enough to know if he can play in the NBA.  You don't get as close as we are and offer a $24M contract for a starting PG if you aren't 100% convinced he can be the guy to help put you over the top.  Morey may not be perfect, but I'd say he gets the benefit of the doubt on this one.  (just watched a highlight video and he's got a touch of Jamal Crawford in him...makes a lot of ridiculous shots.)

#85 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 474 posts
    • LocationHouston

Posted 22 June 2015 - 06:41 PM

Does this help or hurt our chances at Llull? https://sports.yahoo...-185921854.html

Starting PG (Sergio Rodriguez) leaving means more minutes for Llull at Real, but exodus of talent may be a positive for us too.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#86 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,122 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 23 June 2015 - 01:23 AM

Does this help or hurt our chances at Llull? https://sports.yahoo...-185921854.html

Starting PG (Sergio Rodriguez) leaving means more minutes for Llull at Real, but exodus of talent may be a positive for us too.

I agree that's not good news on the Llull front IMO. who is this Rodriguez guy? perhaps we need to take a closer look at him.

#87 08huangj

08huangj

Rookie

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 77 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 01:28 AM

So Brandon Jennings only takes Tim Hardaway JR to get?(ESPN)

The Rockets can certainly offer something better than that?

#88 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 474 posts
      • LocationHouston

Posted 23 June 2015 - 02:30 AM

So Brandon Jennings only takes Tim Hardaway JR to get?(ESPN)

The Rockets can certainly offer something better than that?

false rumor from what i've read; svg said never talked to NYK's about it.

LoSTHieF

#89 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 474 posts
      • LocationHouston

Posted 23 June 2015 - 02:34 AM

I agree that's not good news on the Llull front IMO. who is this Rodriguez guy? perhaps we need to take a closer look at him.

He's the dude that's run spain's olympic/international offense for the last cycle plus. Keeps rubio off the starting floor, but he's 29 and not that great a shooter iirc.

LoSTHieF

#90 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,125 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 June 2015 - 03:06 PM

So much going on in the NBA right now.  Anyone else see Phoenix is dangling Bledsoe?  I'm sure the price is sky high, but that is interesting if true.

What's caught my attention is this alleged 3-way deal between Orlando, Sacramento, and the Lakers:

Still in talks but initially sounds like Kings get 5 pick, Vucevic, & other picks, Magic get 2nd pick & take Okafor, Lakers get Cousins & 6.

Wow...if that happens...wow.  That's a win-win-win deal.

Orlando gets a to put together a core of Okafor, Oladipo, Payton, Gordon, Harkless, Harris, Fournier, and Frye plus they have Kyle O'Quinn and a couple of other guys who can contribute.  Now, I personally believe Okafor is a bust at #2--I think he will wind up moving too slowly to be effective in the NBA, but that pits me against a lot of people who see him as a stud.  Presuming they are right and I am wrong that puts Orlando in great shape and they should be a ton of fun to watch.

For the Lakers, what a steal!!!  They get Cousins and the 6th pick in a solid draft all while dodging the guesswork of picking #2?  Lots of talent left on the board.  One of Russell/Mudiay will be on the board.  Hezonja would be a slight reach, but he is considered #1 at his position and can play the 2 or the 3.  Winslow is almost a lock to become an elite 3&D guy--I don't think he's much more than that, but that is very, very valuable.  They have lots of good young bigs (Randle, Kelly, Black, Sacre) to put around Cousins.  With Kobe back they just need a point and a wing and they'll be pretty good.  I hate the Lakers, but I have to admit...the league is better when they are competitive.

For the Kings, they get to free themselves of a player that had them stuck--they couldn't go up or down.  Vucevic is a solid center, plus they get to move up one slot all while getting rid of the "bad apple".  I suspect another trade is coming so it's difficult to speculate, but they still have Collison, McLemore, Gay, McCallum, Thompson, and Stauskas.  Add Vucevic and Winslow (they need a wing since Gay was told he's going to play the 4 a lot this season) to that group and things get interesting.

Part of me wants this trade to be real.  Imagine Kobe, Cousins, and Rondo (you just know they're signing him) on one team.... :lol:  There's not enough fan-hate in the world for that squad.  Who am I kidding?  Fan-hatred defies the 1st law of thermodynamics!  We could power the entire planet if we could harness that stuff.  (Keep an eye out for Matt Barnes too...wouldn't be surprised if he winds up back in LA)

#91 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,125 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 June 2015 - 03:25 PM

...and just like that it gets shot down...

League source tells Orlando Sentinel that Magic are not part of proposed 3-way trade that includes Nik Vucevic, contrary to ESPN's report.

Of course, that just means Orlando is out....

#92 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 474 posts
      • LocationHouston

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:35 PM

Denver going to work out tyrus jones, do i smell a lawson stew a-brewing???

LoSTHieF

#93 08huangj

08huangj

Rookie

• Members
      • PipPip
      • 77 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 05:33 AM

Sacramento Kings Get: F Terrence Jones, F Kostas Papanikolaou and No. 18 pick (via New Orleans)

Houston Rockets Get: PG Darren Collison and F Rudy Gay

Bleacher Report stuff...

#94 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 474 posts
        • LocationHouston

Posted 24 June 2015 - 08:31 AM

......Does that even work w/ the numbers isn't gay making like 20 mil a year? But if thats all it took man...i'd do it...gay coming off the bench as the 2/3 behind ariza would be huge.

Plus then if collison's not holding his own on def in the last 5 min. put in gay and slot ariza on the pg.

----

Just read mavricks saying going to explore trade if ellis picks up option (8.7 mil). If he does, can we sign and trade bev straight up for him. Mavs have stated interest in bev and ellis would be the secondary ball handler we need. He's not a true pg, but he's small and quick enough to play there defensively. We lose some on defense w/o bev and putting ellis out there but he can't be much worse than terry defensively and would bring alot to the offense table

Caveat being the dude is not a good 3pt shooter, but neither was/is smith.

Edited by Losthief, 24 June 2015 - 08:37 AM.

LoSTHieF

#95 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,125 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 June 2015 - 01:31 PM

Sacramento Kings Get: F Terrence Jones, F Kostas Papanikolaou and No. 18 pick (via New Orleans)

Bleacher Report stuff...

Not being a jerk, but let's keep this stuff off of here.  That trade is off by about $16M in salary matching.

If we're going to post stuff like this why not throw in Cousins for us and make it a three team deal where Collison goes to the Clippers and we get Chris Paul too?  Who cares since we aren't anywhere close to reality?  Even if the rules allowed it why on earth would Sacramento make that trade???????  :mellow:  

Sign and trade swap for Bev and Ellis is interesting (assuming it works under the rules).  You are right about his 3 pt% plus you can add a terrible assist /to ratio to that.  I would also point out that both times he has been paired with another ball dominant guard it hasn't worked well at all.  Maybe it would work, but I am very reluctant even if it would be a one-year gamble.

#96 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 474 posts
        • LocationHouston

Posted 24 June 2015 - 06:54 PM

it'd only work if they signed for same salaries (or within 125 percent), but since he opted out I don't know what that does...also I agree with you that its not the best fit...he takes away as much (maybe more?) than he brings to the table and he isn't young anymore.

LoSTHieF

#97 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,122 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:19 AM

Bleacher Report stuff...

I agree JG........no way Sac does this deal, but even if they wanted to the Rockets would be fools. I say NO to any acquisition of Gay and #18 and T-Jones for Collison is ridiculous. T-Jones or the #18 alone is to much for Collison :lol:  :lol:

#98 majik19

majik19

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 267 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:28 AM

Just read mavricks saying going to explore trade if ellis picks up option (8.7 mil). If he does, can we sign and trade bev straight up for him. Mavs have stated interest in bev and ellis would be the secondary ball handler we need. He's not a true pg, but he's small and quick enough to play there defensively. We lose some on defense w/o bev and putting ellis out there but he can't be much worse than terry defensively and would bring alot to the offense table

Caveat being the dude is not a good 3pt shooter, but neither was/is smith.

Ellis and Harden in the backcourt together would get demolished on defense. 

#99 clydesmoustache

clydesmoustache

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 144 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 04:58 AM

Heard on hoopshype.com that mavs are interested in Danny Green. It made me wonder if he is a good fit for the rockets. I know he doesn't fix any of our major concerns with playmakers, rebounding and giving dwight a break but he is a lights out shooter and a very good defender and seems to finish well around the rim. He could give ariza a break and I am just imagining all those corner threes that brewer and bev took and replacing that with green. We would struggle against teams with quick guards but maybe johnson and mcdaniels can help there. Harden still has the ball in his hands way too much but that wasn't that big a deal until the 13 turnover game. Are we overreacting with that game?

#100 Davealicious

Davealicious

• Members
            • Pip
            • 12 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:18 PM

Marc Stein reporting we're trying to trade TJones to clear room (possibly to clear up space for LMA/Love?).  Not necessarily unexpected news, but things are already starting to heat up prior to the draft tonight.  

At this point, there's so much speculation all around the league, I don't know what's going on.  Should make for an exciting day!  Time for some Morey magic!  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users