Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 01:42 AM) one bullet left in the chamber is diff than fully loaded and ready to go. Still stupid...but not like he was prepared for a shooting spree.
@  jorgeaam : (02 September 2015 - 09:33 PM) http://www.tmz.com/2...t-get-arrested/
@  jorgeaam : (02 September 2015 - 09:33 PM) So according to TMZ (I know, I know) Dwight Howard had an incident last month in which he took a loaded gun into an airport, but he was allowed to give it to a friend to take it back and wasn't arrested.
@  jorgeaam : (31 August 2015 - 10:45 PM) The Los Angeles Rockets, lol
@  redfaithful : (31 August 2015 - 09:51 PM) Seems that Chuck is also on his way to the Clippers.
@  slick shoes : (24 August 2015 - 06:14 PM) ill just leave this here...
@  slick shoes : (24 August 2015 - 06:14 PM) http://www.timeandda...04&font=cursive
@  timetodienow... : (21 August 2015 - 07:20 PM) At least in my opinion.
@  timetodienow... : (21 August 2015 - 07:20 PM) I love having Terry. But the main factor was that New Orleans will NOT compete for a championship this year and the Rockets will.
@  jorgeaam : (21 August 2015 - 03:57 AM) Things that make me like the JET even more
@  jorgeaam : (21 August 2015 - 03:57 AM) Jason Terry said that he turned down a more lucrative deal from New Orleans in order to return to Houston.
@  clydesmoustache : (19 August 2015 - 08:32 AM) A year ago who would have thought I would be so happy to have Jason Terry on my team. Welcome back JET! Hurry up October!
@  cointurtlemoose : (19 August 2015 - 04:45 AM) Terry I love yooouuuuuuuuu
@  jorgeaam : (19 August 2015 - 02:38 AM) Yay Terry is back!
@  majik19 : (15 August 2015 - 09:33 PM) and i thought these shouts were limited to some number of characters!

Photo

2015 Offseason

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#121 majik19

majik19

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:55 PM

Here's a very good article from Zach Lowe on how this free agency will be different from any other free agency in NBA history... basically, he advocates spending whatever cap space a team has, even if you're overpaying, because cap space will be MUCH less valuable in the ensuing years and "big deals" today will be mid-market deals as soon as next year.

http://grantland.com...ncy-questions/�

#122 majik19

majik19

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 265 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:56 PM

With that being said... I wonder if Morey's creativity gives him an advantage this year... 

Edited by majik19, 30 June 2015 - 02:57 PM.

#123 Davealicious

Davealicious

• Members
      • Pip
      • 12 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 03:49 AM

Well, 2 down. Glad to see PatBev and Brew coming back. Finally some moves! I was beginning to feel left out! But the offseason is still young, and Morey has more magic up his sleeve, I feel. Anyone hear anything on the JSmoove front?

#124 Willk

Willk

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 308 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:11 AM

Well, 2 down. Glad to see PatBev and Brew coming back. Finally some moves! I was beginning to feel left out! But the offseason is still young, and Morey has more magic up his sleeve, I feel. Anyone hear anything on the JSmoove front?

Only that Sacramento has interest

#125 Davealicious

Davealicious

• Members
          • Pip
          • 12 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:34 PM

Well, LMA to the Spurs. It was always a long shot, but it makes me want to bring JSmoove back even more.

#126 majik19

majik19

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 265 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:07 PM

Spurs' starting lineup: Parker, Green, Leonard, Aldridge, Duncan. That's scary, and certainly a legitimate threat to the Warriors. How do we counter the Spurs and the Warriors? We would need another mini-leap out of Motiejunas, and hope that chemistry and continuity for us mean something...

#127 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 166 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:24 PM

^Still hoping for a trade, somehow, to get us a secondary backcourt playmaker. Float Jones, Papa, and Dekker out there to see what happens... But the market is definitely slim.

If Parker can return to 2014 Tony Parker, that starting lineup might be the strongest we've seen in the NBA for a good while...

#128 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 473 posts
                • LocationHouston

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:23 PM

Health as always will be the key with it all. Health is a big reason that the warriors were so great all year long and had such a great rhythm in the playoffs. If that Spurs team stays healthy they will be a very very good team next year. I would say that health is a key thing for us as well, we had a rough time of it last year and if we get lucky the other way we might see a 'improvement' just from that.

We we do the rest of free agency depends on JSmoove. If he takes only 2.63 mil (what we can offer w/o using MLE/Cap Space) then we have the full MLE to offer to get a 3rd guard. If thats the case I'd like to see us look at Mo Williams or Sergio Rodriguez (Lin if he's willing to come off the bench). If Josh wants more than that we have to split the MLE and that means we'd have to aim smaller. Maybe Nick Calathes or Cory Joesph could be had for part of the MLE (both are RFAs to the Grizz and Spurs respectively) but its pretty thin at that point.

Otherwise we probably sit tight and try to swing a trade at some point. Thinking Lawson, Jennings, Schorder, Holiday most likely candidates there. I still think we should/will look at a trade regardless of who/what we get in the rest of free agency anyways.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#129 majik19

majik19

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 265 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:04 PM

^Still hoping for a trade, somehow, to get us a secondary backcourt playmaker. Float Jones, Papa, and Dekker out there to see what happens... But the market is definitely slim.

Collison probably isn't happy the Kings signed Rondo, despite their "two PG" talk. Could be available.

Lawson might still be available too. 

Gotta remember the Mavs are shopping for a PG too. 

#130 Willk

Willk

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 308 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 06:07 AM

Collison probably isn't happy the Kings signed Rondo, despite their "two PG" talk. Could be available.
                    Lawson might still be available too.

Gotta remember the Mavs are shopping for a PG too.

but the mavs have no assets to trade. They can only sign players.

#131 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 4,119 posts
                    • Locationhouston

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:31 PM

but the mavs have no assets to trade. They can only sign players.

I agree the Mavs have nothing left to trade that will interest Sac Town. look for Dallas to bring back JJ Barea. I know many would disagree with me, but I say let J Smith walk. keep T. Jones and D-Mo at PF and D-12 and Capela at center. I would like to see a trade but only to give up fringe pieces like Papa, Dorsey, Prigs, maybe N. Johnson and some draft picks (seeing as how our first round picks are unlikely to net much to help us being late 1st rounders). I've been thinking about this idea of the Rockets chasing Durrant next off season and the moves they appear to want to make and are willing to make is basically standing pat with the present team so they are in position to chase him. I think the Rockets may have a couple of diamonds in the rough with 2 youngsters........KJ McDaniels and Capela. they need to commit to developing both. however I think the Rockets are pursuing the right course. keep this team together and add a PG. while dangling Papa, Dorsey, Prigs, N. Johnson and a late 1st rounder may not bring in CP3 but it might be enough for Collison......ok throw in Dekker :lol:. I don't see the Rockets cutting into potential salary cap space for next season unless it's a proven upgrade like LMA would have been. that said you never really know with Morey :)  

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#132 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPip
                    • 1,290 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:51 AM

Smith has too much talent to let him leave especially coming off a year where jones and Dmo missed significant time.

#133 Willk

Willk

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 308 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:48 AM

Smith has too much talent to let him leave especially coming off a year where jones and Dmo missed significant time.

I'm 100% behind bringing smith back. All three Jones, D-Mo, and Howard have missed time the last couple of years. He is good insurance and the 2nd best playmaker on the team, currently.

#134 majik19

majik19

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 265 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:37 PM

He is good insurance and the 2nd best playmaker on the team, currently.

This depresses me. 

#135 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                          • 4,116 posts
                          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:53 PM

Consider this....assuming we match whatever offer McDaniels gets (I believe we will unless it's ridiculous) we will have a youth movement rivaled only by the likes of Minnesota, Milwaukee, Orlando, and Philadelphia.

Nick Johnson (Avery Bradley potential)

KJ McDaniels

Sam Dekker

Terrence Jones/Montrezl Harrell

Clint Capela

Am I being overly optimistic?  Probably, but I don't think too much.  Johnson only has to develop a decent 3 pt. shot and he will basically be on Avery Bradley's level.  McDaniels has a chance to be awesome for us....I'm thinking Trevor Ariza when he was with the Lakers kind of player.  Dekker will likely get a year in the D-League, but I am starting to think I had him under-rated and that he could step in and play reserve minutes for us straight away.  Jones/Harell make for athletic 4's who will play well off of others.  Capela has shown what he can do...I think he will show even more as I think his passing is better than most realize and he has shown a nice touch/awareness around the rim.  Add 20 lbs. of muscle over the next 2 years and watch out.

The point is that even if Smith leaves for Sacramento we'll be fine.  We have Jones/Papa/Harrell and talent all around plus great development coaches.  We all saw it.  Smith brings a lot to the table, but he also reminds me of Bill Simmons when Tony Allen played for the Celtics.  He dubbed him, Tony "Trick or Treat" Allen, because you never knew what you were going to get from game to game--and it was mildly infuriating.  If he goes, he takes that giant question mark with him--which is not a bad thing.  My preference is to keep him, but if he opts for Sacramento then good for him (and us...who doesn't want to watch Rondo/Smith/Gay/Cousins plus whoever else they put out there?  That's a fascinating line-up.)

Don't sweat the lack of creators on offense.  We have D-Mo.  We still have Prigs.  Plus, Morey will get us somebody mid-season.  I can't wait to dust the Spurs next season....and the Mavs....and the Lakers...Jazz....Thunder...Trailblazers...Warriors.... B)

#136 majik19

majik19

• Members
                          • PipPipPip
                          • 265 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:24 PM

Don't sweat the lack of creators on offense.  We have D-Mo.  We still have Prigs.  Plus, Morey will get us somebody mid-season.  I can't wait to dust the Spurs next season....and the Mavs....and the Lakers...Jazz....Thunder...Trailblazers...Warriors.... B)

The Spurs look pretty damn intimidating, with Duncan, Aldridge, West, and Diaw manning the 4 and 5, and Leonard, Parker, and Green starting in the back court.

Also, not sure we have a counter for the Warriors. 

Also, onto the original subject of the post - I feel like maybe you're overrating a tad. We're all drinking the Morey kool-aid, and I do like the young talent we've gathered (still scratching my head on KJ's role), but I'm not sure any of those guys are even starters down the line. (Capela has the best odds, I'd say, right now). 

#137 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                            • 4,116 posts
                            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:49 PM

The Spurs look pretty damn intimidating, with Duncan, Aldridge, West, and Diaw manning the 4 and 5, and Leonard, Parker, and Green starting in the back court.

Also, not sure we have a counter for the Warriors. 

Also, onto the original subject of the post - I feel like maybe you're overrating a tad. We're all drinking the Morey kool-aid, and I do like the young talent we've gathered (still scratching my head on KJ's role), but I'm not sure any of those guys are even starters down the line. (Capela has the best odds, I'd say, right now). 

Really?  I think all of those guys are capable of seizing a starting role on a team.  Not this season necessarily, but if you look 1-3 years down the road (depending) I think each has a skill set that, if developed, can be very high level.  Nick and KJ both can be high-flying defensive bulldogs that need to develop a 3 pt. shot.  Dekker is a smart player and is more athletic than I first thought.  He may not reach Parsons or Gordon Hayward's level, but I think he can definitely get close (think Budinger).  Jones has already been an NBA starter and Harrell just finished dunking all over the NCAA with a body built like Kenneth Fareid except with a wingspan 4" longer than Fareid (I also think he isn't done growing).  Harrell will be able to rebound, block shots, and run the pick n roll--anything extra is gravy.  Capela certainly can be an NBA starter.  We've only just begun to see what he can do.  Remember, the #1 word for him entering the draft was "raw".  Yet, I have seen excellent footwork, passing, a soft touch around the rim, +free throw shooting for a big, and the kind of innate timing you can't teach in regards to blocking shots.  If he has any kind of jump shot we are in business!

This isn't Morey Kool-Aid.  These kids are the real deal.  I defy anyone to find me a team that hasn't had a single pick in the top 10 over the last 5 years that can stack up their players to ours in both quality and depth (trades included).  Not even San Antonio stacks up.  Still, look at our draft history.  You can call it drinking Kool-Aid, but I call it reading the writing on the wall.  There is little reason to believe these guys won't develop into players we trade for better players, or develop into contributors for our own team.  Heck, even Royce White is trying to make a comeback.  (By the way, we haven't had a top 10 pick since 2006--#8 overall Rudy Gay traded for Shane Battier.  Prior to that was 2002 with Yao #1 and prior to that it was 1984 with Hakeem #1).

That is 3 top 10 picks over the last 30 years.  Obviously most of that was not Morey and I am getting off track--I just think that is interesting.

I'm not scared of the Spurs.  I think we can match up with them and I think we'll wait and see how Father Time treats them come playoff time.  They sacrificed some depth to bring in Aldridge.  It's not their M.O.  Could be their achilles heel.

As for the Warriors, and the rest of the W.C.....Yeah, they're good.  So are we.  They should be afraid of us.

#138 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
                            • PipPipPipPipPip
                            • 1,290 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 01:03 AM

Keeping smith would make it a lot easier to trade Jones, don't want end up having to run out papa/Harrel in the playoffs the good and bad of smith beats overwhelmed rookie and a tweener that couldn't get on the floor at the end of last year.
                              If Capella can get stronger while maintaing his quickness he will likely be Howard's replacement. It's probable that one of dekker or mcdaniels developes into at least an average starter/quality 3rd wing. Johnson and Harrel appear to have limited upside but also have defined roles (defense, doing crazy athletic things) which is great for 2nd round picks.
                              Regarding the Spurs don't have a lot of rim protection basically just Duncan and he only has one good leg, lot of pressure on Leonard and Green. They'll be good no doubt but I'm not buying the hype that they will just run away with the west.

#139 majik19

majik19

• Members
                              • PipPipPip
                              • 265 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 01:54 AM

Regarding the Spurs don't have a lot of rim protection basically just Duncan and he only has one good leg, lot of pressure on Leonard and Green. They'll be good no doubt but I'm not buying the hype that they will just run away with the west.

Rim protection and back court depth are their weaknesses. They'll figure out the back court depth (they'll find the next Green, Joseph, Neal, Belinelli, etc.), but you can't just find rim protectors. I actually do think we'll win more games than the Spurs next year in the regular season because they'll rest Duncan and Parker. 

#140 majik19

majik19

• Members
                                • PipPipPip
                                • 265 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:02 AM

Really?  I think all of those guys are capable of seizing a starting role on a team.  Not this season necessarily, but if you look 1-3 years down the road (depending) I think each has a skill set that, if developed, can be very high level.  Nick and KJ both can be high-flying defensive bulldogs that need to develop a 3 pt. shot.  Dekker is a smart player and is more athletic than I first thought.  He may not reach Parsons or Gordon Hayward's level, but I think he can definitely get close (think Budinger).  Jones has already been an NBA starter and Harrell just finished dunking all over the NCAA with a body built like Kenneth Fareid except with a wingspan 4" longer than Fareid (I also think he isn't done growing).  Harrell will be able to rebound, block shots, and run the pick n roll--anything extra is gravy.  Capela certainly can be an NBA starter.  We've only just begun to see what he can do.  Remember, the #1 word for him entering the draft was "raw".  Yet, I have seen excellent footwork, passing, a soft touch around the rim, +free throw shooting for a big, and the kind of innate timing you can't teach in regards to blocking shots.  If he has any kind of jump shot we are in business!

I believe that these guys all have the potential to be starters. 

Johnson certainly shows the defensive chops, but in a league defined by spacing and shooting, can he play offense well enough to stay on the floor?

McDaniels is similar. Love the athleticism, but we've seen it before. Can he be efficient enough to play? 

Dekker I'll reserve judgment on. Harrell dropped to the second round for a reason, but yes, I see what you see.

Capela looks like the best of the bunch to me, but he doesn't need a jump shot. He just needs to be Tyson Chandler light. 

I hope it's not coming off as argumentative. I want to believe just as much as you. I think I'm also feeling a little bit bitter as of late, remembering that we picked Marcus Morris over Kawhi Leonard. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users