Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Kevin McHale- Whats the Verdict? Is he the right guy?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
100 replies to this topic

#41 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:04 PM

BOF is a derogatory word and should not be used in a civil discussion.

I'm a Canaan Truther.

#42 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
    • 2,308 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:21 PM

Actually guys I am going with BAF, I'm a Beverly Also Fan since I'm always a Rockets since 1984.
    How sweet it is!

#43 kevingan

kevingan

• Members
    • Pip
    • 49 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:00 PM

I think it's kind of silly to have such a long, heated discussion centering on Lin at a time when Lin is obviously playing hurt.  He shouldn't be playing, but I think he's sucking it up and trying to help the team with 15 minutes a game, which is what they seem to need from him as they battle for playoff position. He kind of holds the fort for those minutes, but it isn't pretty to watch!

Despite his horrible play lately, Lin's willingness to do what the team needs really shouldn't be questioned at this point.  He's shown that again and again through many shifts of long-term strategy: no Asik-style boycotts from Lin ever, and I think people ought to remember that, in simple fairness.

#44 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,125 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:05 PM

@FSS

I think I like that better...........BAF. it more accurately describes my passion. good call on that one FSS

@kevingan

please give it a rest. no more Lin excuses today. face it the man is a mediocre/ BAD basketball player and no amount of excuses can hide that.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#45 kevingan

kevingan

• Members
      • Pip
      • 49 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:13 PM

@RBF: Daryl Morey disagrees, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion.  Again, when someone's hurt, I don't think it makes much sense to make a long-term judgment. It's a distraction, and in this case, I think the OP brought up this question at the wrong time and in the wrong way (in a post supposedly about McHale).  

#46 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,133 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:38 PM

I like BAF as well.  :)

I'll cut Lin slack for his back injury.  I have no doubt that limits one's effectiveness.  I'll also give him credit for doing what the team asks of him.  His back is not responsible for picking up his dribble in the lane though....

@Steven--LOL at Canaan Truther :lol:

#47 marvelman821

marvelman821

• Members
        • Pip
        • 14 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:10 PM

And what have the Clippers won yet? Same thing the Rockets have... absolutely nothing. Why aren't they equal? Because the Clippers beat us twice at the VERY beginning of the year when we were at our worst? Oh and then beat us at their house with us on a second night of a B2B? I mean I don't want to see them in the playoffs, but they are just as unproven as we are. I am not quite sure why you are using them as the perfect example as to why McHale isn't a good coach. 

P.S. Doc would be starting Beverley over Lin as well. I know that is your real motive here. 

This is interesting.  I think we can test this theory after the season is over. Let's see who gets further in the playoffs.  If the Clippers actually get over the hump and make it to the nba finals or even win a championship this year it could help prove that all the clippers needed was a better coach to win.

I expect the rockets to make it to the 2nd round this year only if they don't play the clippers in the 1st round.  They should make the 2nd round considering they got a talent upgrade in Dwight.  If the rockets don't play the clippers in the 1st round and still lose, then the coach could be a problem.

#48 marvelman821

marvelman821

• Members
          • Pip
          • 14 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:15 PM

@FSS

I think I like that better...........BAF. it more accurately describes my passion. good call on that one FSS

@kevingan

please give it a rest. no more Lin excuses today. face it the man is a mediocre/ BAD basketball player and no amount of excuses can hide that.

i don't think he is bad but average.  i think he would flourish (statistically speaking) if he was under a different system like D'antoni's where the point guard is the main start of plays.  Look at Kendall Marshall who wasn't signed to a team in the beginning of the year and now his stats have been great under Dantoni.

With Houston, they have a point/shooting guard in Harden which is why he is more the starting point of the offense.

#49 marvelman821

marvelman821

• Members
            • Pip
            • 14 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:22 PM

Although I do want to make a point that McHale could instill more confidence in Lin by making him the primary ball handler in the 2nd unit and working through his mistakes.  After watching a lot of Rockets game this season you see Lin get substituted in around the end of the 1st qtr for Bev.  Around this time, Lin is usually playing with Howard, Harden and Parsons still.  However, Lin's strength lies in having the ball in his hands and running the offense.  this year he has became more of shooting guard and standing around the 3pt line.  I think the problem with his game this year is because his roles have been adjusted this year to bench. Last year he was starting and now this year a bench player acting as a shooting guard.  Seems pretty difficult to adjust and get in a rhythm with his minutes up and down.

#50 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 4,125 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:30 PM

@kevingan

this back thing been going on for about a week? Lin has been stinking a lot longer than that :lol: as a matter of fact except for about a hot month, month and a half while Beverly was out he has not shown up this year.

as for what Morey thinks...........have you ever heard Morey bad mouth a Rocket player while he was still on the roster? that would be foolish to downgrade your own asset. are you that naïve. trust me Morey knows exactly who Lin is as a player. he has access to  stats we could only dream about. I suspect that's why we were trying to move his contract in the NBA rumor mill. I have seen Morey speak highly of a player then trade him the next week. using his statements as a barometer could lead you way off base.

@marvelman821

I honestly believe we are already looking at Lin's ceiling. he has peaked already. funny you should mention Marshall. I agree Pringles is good at making an average PG look good in his run and gun style. this may be the cause of why Linsanity happened. Lin does not possess the skill to run an offense. he is better at creating chaos then thriving within it. Pringle's system does that for PG's. Lin is a poor decision maker with the ball in his hands and is better at looking for his own shot. he's a turnover machine. the worst part of all is I'm not even talking about his most recent play :lol: :lol:

Edited by rockets best fan, 07 March 2014 - 07:34 PM.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#51 marvelman821

marvelman821

• Members
              • Pip
              • 14 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:56 PM

@kevingan

this back thing been going on for about a week? Lin has been stinking a lot longer than that :lol: as a matter of fact except for about a hot month, month and a half while Beverly was out he has not shown up this year.

as for what Morey thinks...........have you ever heard Morey bad mouth a Rocket player while he was still on the roster? that would be foolish to downgrade your own asset. are you that naïve. trust me Morey knows exactly who Lin is as a player. he has access to  stats we could only dream about. I suspect that's why we were trying to move his contract in the NBA rumor mill. I have seen Morey speak highly of a player then trade him the next week. using his statements as a barometer could lead you way off base.

@marvelman821

I honestly believe we are already looking at Lin's ceiling. he has peaked already. funny you should mention Marshall. I agree Pringles is good at making an average PG look good in his run and gun style. this may be the cause of why Linsanity happened. Lin does not possess the skill to run an offense. he is better at creating chaos then thriving within it. Pringle's system does that for PG's. Lin is a poor decision maker with the ball in his hands and is better at looking for his own shot. he's a turnover machine. the worst part of all is I'm not even talking about his most recent play :lol: :lol:

Pringles! LOL! He does look like him. 

I don't honestly know if this is Lin's ceiling.  I do agree that there are times when he makes just poor decisions that I wanna bang the tv but perhaps we should consider the role he has this year.  I mean last year was his 1st year as a starting point guard and this year went to the bench.  So it is hard to say. Let's say he was starting again this year and if he was playing like he is now then I can agree he reached his ceiling.  But right now i think it is hard to tell.   

#52 marvelman821

marvelman821

• Members
                • Pip
                • 14 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:59 PM

Pringles! LOL! He does look like him. 

I don't honestly know if this is Lin's ceiling.  I do agree that there are times when he makes just poor decisions that I wanna bang the tv but perhaps we should consider the role he has this year.  I mean last year was his 1st year as a starting point guard and this year went to the bench.  So it is hard to say. Let's say he was starting again this year and if he was playing like he is now then I can agree he reached his ceiling.  But right now i think it is hard to tell.   

Plus what bothers me is that when he has had chances to start he actually played decent when Harden and/or Bev and put up good numbers.  It would actually help justify his ceiling if he started those games and played like crap. 

#53 Dayak

Dayak

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 116 posts
                  • LocationBorneo Island

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:44 AM

Hey, count me in as a BAF too :P

In Lin case, i will always support him and wish he could grow up as a good basketball player. He is a rocket and i don't think he is going anywhere next season with his backloaded contract. When he is stinking, it hurts us a lot. Come on Jeremy, you are not that bad.

#54 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 2,008 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:54 AM

Canaan should get some run against the pacers tonight to covert more of you guys to Canaan Truthers.

#55 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPip
                    • 1,636 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:50 PM

I'm a more Covington fan. With his measurements and skills, I'm still confused how he did not get drafted.

#56 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                      • 2,008 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:44 PM

He didn't dominate in college. I like Covington too. He is just behind Parsons and now Hamilton. While Canaan is only behind Beverly and Lin's contract.

#57 vonsteve

vonsteve

Rookie

• Members
                        • PipPip
                        • 57 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:08 PM

I knew any board about McHale would devolve to a board about Lin.

#58 SadLakerFan

SadLakerFan

• Members
                          • PipPipPip
                          • 172 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:42 PM

It's ridiculous that this has become a thread about the team's sixth man, when there's actually a legitimate topic - whether McHale is the "right guy."  The Rockets have been blessed with tremendous head coaches - Rudy, JVG, Adelman are all brilliant basketball minds, putting aside what you think of their personalities or abilities to "communicate" with players, etc.  I'm not so sure about McHale.  As I've stated before, he made two brilliant decisions when he first got to the front office in Minnesota - he hired Flip Saunders and he drafted Kevin Garnett.  He basically lived off of the goodwill from those two decisions for over a decade during which he had a major part in some of the most questionable personnel decisions imaginable (including the granddaddy of them all, the Joe Smith "arrangement").  He did make one last great move before being booted - he traded for Kevin Love. 

OK, what about coaching - well, we're basically talking about a guy with about 2+ years of experience on the bench in any capacity.  I haven't watched enough Rockets games to have an opinion on what he's done during that period, but it's a very relevant discussion topic.  For all that has gone right with the Rockets this year, McHale has be be regarded at best, as a question mark, simply because of the razor thin track record.  It's not a question of replacing him.  I think that won't happen unless they make early playoff exits for at least two consecutive years.  So, the Rockets are putting their money on McHale, and we'll just have to see.  I'd be interested in opinions - other than he's a bad coach because he doesn't give Jeremy Lin enough burn.

#59 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
                            • PipPipPipPipPip
                            • 1,636 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:42 AM

I knew any board about McHale would devolve to a board about Lin.

As the oracle foretold. 

It never ends, does it :(

#60 linonlyfan

linonlyfan

Rookie

• Members
                              • PipPip
                              • 60 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:15 AM

Parsons called McHale a good dude recently. That seals it for me. The way the team is coming together this year is pretty amazing, and you can see the chemistry developing on the bench despite some players needing to deal with lower minutes (from Asik to Garcia/Casspi). And yeah, its pretty damn clear Beverley has some incredible intangibles that mean that he is the no 1 pg on this team. Not only that his shooting is improving and ability to penetrate and finish is also getting better. I actually think he has better shooting mechanics than "he who shall not be named".

And how about Troy Daniels doing a Ray Allen impression. 

The bench just needs to sort itself out a bit. The starting 5 took a bit of time, but McHale stuck to his vision and put Beverley back in as soon as he was back, which is clearly now the correct decision. Give the bench some time, this team barely had any time to play together, seeing the strong support for Asik was fantastic as well in that pacer game. I hope the team can maintain its positive attitude even when things get a bit tougher as they surely will.

Maybe sometimes coaching isn't about systems, etc, but creating a happy environment. For now this is the guy we go to war with. I think the playoffs will be the true test as a series of games becomes much more about adjustments.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users