Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Houston Rockets @ Golden State Warriors on 2/20/2014

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#21 Knickabokkaz

Knickabokkaz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:59 PM

1. I disagree with you guys about the heroball. Yes, James was the only player who was doing anything worth a damn, but that doesn't mean just clear out 1-4 for him every trip down. I have no problem with him taking all of the shots, but atleast put him in better positions to score. But whatever, I've already lost my breath talking about this topic.

Well THAT is the PROBLEM. And who is the root of THAT problem, WHY did they just run 1-4 clear outs almost every possession like you just said? Who's the one calling that play? McHale? Harden? Obviously SOMEONE kept running that play over and over again. I can say there's not anyone else running THAT play that was on the court. EVERYTIME, you go to this corner you go to that corner you stay here you stay there.. Harden didn't do anything to have OPTIONS and put his teammates in a POSITION TO HELP HIM. He's the one putting HIMSELF in that situation.

Notice the ONLY 2 Fgs scored in overtime were passes 2 passes into Dwight ... Besides Hardens 2 ft's ? Parsons got blocked but it was a good play at least. Those plays didn't INVOLVE a 1-4 clear out. That's why you get the "hero ball" comments because you just said yourself

#22 Michael Cham

Michael Cham

• Members
    • Pip
    • 6 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:53 PM

Really frustrated after yesterday's game. I remind myself that the team just came off a good run. They are at GS. There was probably an emotional let down after all the trade deadline and Laker drama. There is a lot of bball to go and this is a good learning experience for the team.

I was most frustrated with Lin, since I'm a LOF. It is a small but important thing that annoys me. Here is how I read the situation.

Harden tries to ISO. That is fine.

If it isn't there, he kicks to Lin. That is what I want.

Lin tries to drive to the hoop. Great!

If Lin is stopped, he picks up his handle. NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope the coaches are telling Lin to keep his dribble and figure out what to do. Stopping the play right there is a disaster for the offense. The drive was a good idea but just because they stop it doesn't mean he should pick up the ball.

If Lin wants to be the second option after an ISO that didn't work, I would prefer to see him attack attack and attack. Maybe develop a step back off the drive instead of the spin, gather and shoot. I was impressed with Parson's aggressiveness, even if it doesn't work out. I can live with the block by J O'Neal. I mostly get frustrated if Rockets aren't aggressive. Even if it is hero ball time, players need to find a way to become locked in mentally and be ready.

(I'm going to take a deep breath.)

Other thoughts:

What do you guys think about the Pick and Roll at the end of the game. I don't think it is as effective since Howard is much less of a threat at the end of the game.

Inbounding the ball seems to be a problem. I think it stems from not having a post presence that can potentially be a threat inside. Part of this is not wanting to pass to Howard at the end of games. Part of this is the line up that the Rockets employ to finish games. Harden, Bev, Lin, Parsons and Howard. Take D12 out of consideration and there are no back to the bucket post players. I think this is something that McHale can coach around. Harden, Parsons and Lin can all slash their way to the bucket. There has got to be a way to ultilize that.

#23 rm90025

rm90025

Rookie

• Members
      • PipPip
      • 91 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:56 PM

This loss to Golden St. was Houston's 'welcome to the playoffs' moment.  This is how playoff basketball will be played.  Patrick Beverley cannot  handle the big time guards that the Rockets will face in the playoffs.  His defense is overrated.  He overplays, gambles and fouls because of his lack of size.  He cannot go at the other team's guards on the offensive end.  Jeremy Lin is a better player on both ends of the floor. Yes, I said it. I meant defensively as well as offensively. Defensively, Lin has had several solid performances against scoring PGs and has frankly outplayed Beverley on head to head match up comparisons with opposing guards from Parker to Conley to Wall to Thomas and Curry. Lin is bigger than most PGs in the league and has speed.  He can guard 1s and 2s.  It also helps that he can light it up on the offensive end and make the opposing PG work.  In other words, he presents a big matchup problem for opposing teams. What Houston ought to be doing is using the remainder of the regular season to groom Lin to be that second playmaker, because Houston doesn't have one after Harden.  Not Howard, not Parsons, not Jones and not Beverley.  Lin should be shooting more than 10 times a game and should be encouraged to make plays.  He needs to play with the starting unit more to have the impact that Houston will need in the playoffs.  

#24 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,636 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:06 PM

You obviously did not watch the game considering Beverley was the reason Curry was non-existent for most of the game.

#25 Michael Cham

Michael Cham

• Members
          • Pip
          • 6 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:21 PM

This loss to Golden St. was Houston's 'welcome to the playoffs' moment. This is how playoff basketball will be played.  Patrick Beverley cannot  handle the big time guards that the Rockets will face in the playoffs.  His defense is overrated.  He overplays, gambles and fouls because of his lack of size.  He cannot go at the other team's guards on the offensive end.  Jeremy Lin is a better player on both ends of the floor. Yes, I said it. I meant defensively as well as offensively. Defensively, Lin has had several solid performances against scoring PGs and has frankly outplayed Beverley on head to head match up comparisons with opposing guards from Parker to Conley to Wall to Thomas and Curry. Lin is bigger than most PGs in the league and has speed.  He can guard 1s and 2s.  It also helps that he can light it up on the offensive end and make the opposing PG work.  In other words, he presents a big matchup problem for opposing teams. What Houston ought to be doing is using the remainder of the regular season to groom Lin to be that second playmaker, because Houston doesn't have one after Harden.  Not Howard, not Parsons, not Jones and not Beverley.  Lin should be shooting more than 10 times a game and should be encouraged to make plays.  He needs to play with the starting unit more to have the impact that Houston will need in the playoffs.  

Welcome to the playoffs. I agree! Your take on Pat Bev. Wrong. I agree that Lin has more length than Bev and in that way, he has an advantage over Bev, but that is only one factor. Overall, Bev is a better defender. I'm a LOF and I am happy he gets to finish games. Yesterday, Lin had plenty of opportunities to take more than 10 shots. And can I point out that offense is more than shots. It is the opportunity to make plays. Lin actually had a bad game against the Lakers too. I'm hopeful, not confident, that he will get going again. Go Rockets.

#26 Michael Cham

Michael Cham

• Members
            • Pip
            • 6 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:29 PM

Another thought. What did you all think of Asik? Still getting into the mix but oddly I can see him getting better. I think the other guys in the second unit are getting used to him as well.

#27 QNoir

QNoir

Rookie

• Members
              • PipPip
              • 78 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:04 PM

Is it just me, or did Lin's defense look phenomenal last night (except getting bullied on the switch to David Lee)? It has been that way pretty steadily lately.

#28 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                • 2,308 posts
                • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

All in all I agree with Walker's post game wrap up, it's a good loss. The big picture looks good right now here are the Western Conference performances of late from NBA Guru retweeted by Morey:

@NBAGuru: West Standings since Jan 1
                1 Hou 16-5
                2 Mem 17-6
                3 Okc 18-7
                4 Lac 15-7
                5 San 15-8
                6 Gsw 13-9
                7 Phx 13-10
                8 Dal 13-10
                9 Den 11-11
                9 Por 11-11

Things are looking pretty good.

Also, Rahat is right that last night the young power forwards no showed and that's a going to happen in the playoffs and down the stretch when it's time to grind out games, hopefully they learn from it. Hopefully the bench can gain some consistancy now that they are together, for the most part. (by the way does anyone else find that fullsquad crap from the Warriors a joke?)
                How sweet it is!

#29 Knickabokkaz

Knickabokkaz

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 182 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:25 PM

Only thing I'm sick of with Lin is that he doesn't wanna ever just take control when things ain't working. F all of you! Gimme the damn ball, everyone in this forum knows he much more efficient when he's aggressive and just does his thing. The HELL with being a good teammate. He has to know there ain't nobody on this team that's trying to get him the ball unless he takes it himself.

#30 miketheodio

miketheodio

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 353 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:33 PM

The shot clock violations probably bugged me the most.

#31 miketheodio

miketheodio

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 353 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:41 PM

also, if parsons takes his ball handling/play making abilities up another level, the rockets win that game and become really dangerous in late game situations.

#32 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPip
                      • 1,865 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:15 PM

1. I disagree with you guys about the heroball.  Yes, James was the only player who was doing anything worth a damn, but that doesn't mean just clear out 1-4 for him every trip down.  I have no problem with him taking all of the shots, but atleast put him in better positions to score.  But whatever, I've already lost my breath talking about this topic.

If Harden doesn't torch the Warriors with 30 points in the second half and some quality defensive plays, the Rockets lose this game by 10 in regulation.

BTW, after Harden's injury early in overtime, the Rockets had no choice but to go completely away from Harden iso's. The result was pretty inefficient offense. I just hope Harden's injury doesn't linger.

#33 SDrake

SDrake

• Members
                        • Pip
                        • 47 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:22 PM

I thought the Rockets, despite their comeback to tie the game and take a few brief leads in the 4th quarter, lost the game on poor shot selection.  There were too many instances late in that 4th quarter where they just threw up quick 3 pointers without moving the ball and running an offense.  Parsons, Casspi and Harden were guilty here, although a few of Harden's did fall...  still bad shot selection.  It seems like Casspi with his limited minutes will just shoot the ball any time he touches it.

The Rocket still don't seem to have any final possession play except give the ball to Harden for an ISO and hope for the best.

Too often in sports, decisions are judged as good or bad based on the outcome of the decision.  But, bad decisions can sometimes lead to a successful outcome and good decisions can sometimes lead to a bad outcome.  Bad decisions rely on luck for a good outcome.  Good decisions rely on skill and execution for a good outcome.

Harden's ISO to give Houston a 2 point lead with 7 seconds was one massively bad decision that had a good outcome.  Think about it.  Tie game and needing a final shot to win.  What do you draw up if you're the coach?  Do you decide your best option is for Harden to ISO and take a 2-point shot a foot in front of the 3-point line?  No.  That is an amazingly low percentage shot.  It went in due more to luck of making a low percentage shot than from the skill of executing a final shot offense.  Unfortunately the Rockets tried to repeat that poor offensive strategy with 3 seconds left in regulation and near the end of OT.  Why is the only option for the Rockets to give the ball to Harden?  The other teams know that's coming and can defend it.

This loss is on McHale.  Poor end-of-game strategy.  A waste of a dominant game by Harden (where he did play some defense).

#34 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
                          • PipPipPipPip
                          • 671 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:46 PM

Just want to point out a positive and the value of having Asik on the floor. The guy is a stud. You all saw the intensity and passion he showed when he was on the floor running down the lane setting rock hard picks. People who questioned his profesionalism should have their minds changed after tonight.

#35 QNoir

QNoir

Rookie

• Members
                            • PipPip
                            • 78 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:04 PM

1. I disagree with you guys about the heroball.  Yes, James was the only player who was doing anything worth a damn, but that doesn't mean just clear out 1-4 for him every trip down.  I have no problem with him taking all of the shots, but atleast put him in better positions to score.  But whatever, I've already lost my breath talking about this topic.

2. The main point I had on last night's game was the power forward play.  You all know how much I love D-Mo and Terrence Jones and had kept screaming for them to get playing time all year, but, almost paradoxically, continued to say I didn't trust them if I felt this team wanted to compete.  While I'm thrilled the two will get all the time they can handle now, we saw last night that they just aren't ready to help this team against the good Western teams.  Jones in particular was getting completely mauled by David Lee and had nothing on the other end: this was the first team I saw actually guard him intelligently, inviting him to shoot from the outside.  Ultimately, Houston's best option was to just play Harden at power forward.  

I agree with 1. The worst possessions came when Harden was the only Rocket to touch the ball. Whether it was an early 3 or attempted drive, they mostly led to transition points for Golden State, and it was frustrating to watch.

#36 miketheodio

miketheodio

• Members
                              • PipPipPip
                              • 353 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:27 PM

Who else was supposed to create? Lin was getting neutralized in the half court. Beverley had no luck. Parsons was trying and had a couple plays. The only one who was producing was harden at the end.

#37 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
                                • PipPipPipPipPip
                                • 1,636 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:57 PM

Just want to point out a positive and the value of having Asik on the floor. The guy is a stud. You all saw the intensity and passion he showed when he was on the floor running down the lane setting rock hard picks. People who questioned his profesionalism should have their minds changed after tonight.

Totally agree thenit. You and I were basically the only ones fiercely supporting him here and the future will prove us right.

#38 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                                  • 2,596 posts
                                  • LocationAlabama

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:17 AM

I defended Asik a ton. But people who have preconceived notions with no basis in facts about Asiks situation won't have their minds changed.

Their argument will be that Asik is trying to maximize his trade value in the offseason.

Why so Serious? :D

#39 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                                  • 2,308 posts
                                  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:05 AM

I have no problem with being wrong about Asik, who cares about being right or wrong? Have I been frustrated with Asik, sure I have. I have been a Rockets fan for almost 30 years and I can't think of a player who was a bigger let down than Asik. I hope I have been wrong about him, I'm just a fan so I don't really know what's going on.
                                  How sweet it is!

#40 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
                                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                                  • 2,008 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:29 AM

I have no problem with being wrong about Asik, who cares about being right or wrong? Have I been frustrated with Asik, sure I have. I have been a Rockets fan for almost 30 years and I can't think of a player who was a bigger let down than Asik. I hope I have been wrong about him, I'm just a fan so I don't really know what's going on.

Scottie Pippen.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users