Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.
@  Mario Peña : (13 September 2015 - 05:24 PM) Sad to see Moses pass. I don't remember watching him as a Rocket but I do remember his Philly and Hawks teams. He was the perfect man to mentor Dream. It's a very sad day for his family and friends and there are many.
@  majik19 : (12 September 2015 - 09:01 PM) i just saw a post wishing Yao Ming a happy 35th birthday... am I the only one whose mind is blown that he's only 35?
@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html

Photo

Need the Aggressive... JLin

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#41 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:37 AM

I'm one of those that is not a LOF but that believes that Lin can contribute to the success of this team going forward, particularly as the vital 6th man, which most successful teams have on their roster.

I agree with this sentiment. I am not sure how I get labeled as a detractor. I wrote that I wanted him to succeed as a sixth man. To me he is another role player the Rockets need to be productive so they can be competitive.
How sweet it is!

#42 RudyT1995

RudyT1995

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:49 AM

I am not sure how I get labeled as a detractor.

It's because some of the more crazy Lin fans on this board misinterpret any comment that doesn't praise Lin as criticism.  

You could say "Lin and Harden don't compliment each other" and they will call you a Lin hater even though the comment isn't a criticism at all.  

You could say "I'm more invested in the Rocket's team success than Lin's individual success" and they will call you a Lin hater.  

It's not you, it's them.  They're the crazy ones.

#43 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,290 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:53 AM

Clearly need to sit harden out the rest of the year to make sure Lin gets his reps, got to keep that flow. Show up the haters!

Edited by Cooper, 30 January 2014 - 04:54 AM.

#44 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 2,008 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:56 AM

Clearly need to sit harden out the rest of the year to make sure Lin gets his reps, got to keep that flow. Show up the haters!

Sarcasm or not? Hard to read on a screen.

#45 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,125 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:33 AM

13-1 Rockets record Lin shooting 11+ shots, 18/7/7? Wanna complain about his turnovers? He had 2 this game, he must suck.
        Btw the team had 7 guys in double figures, who misses ISO ball? Just curious

Oh did I mention Lin's CLUTCH?

Lol wanna know the funny thing? As much as you complain and put him under the microscope analyzing every little flaw. You actually deep down cheer for the guy :) haha

I like Lin.  I root for him happily.  I will always correct people who post false information and turn opinions, gossip, and rumors into facts.  Sadly, 99% of that is done in Jeremy's name these days.  If that makes me appear as anti-Lin so be it.  I know where I stand on the matter and pointing out fact vs. fiction does not change that.

If you want to get into pointing out funny things I would point at your need for our approval of Lin.  Surely there is a place where like-minded people, such as yourself, can sing his praises without the taint of us over-analyzing complainers.  Yet, here you are...gloating...for what?  Because you like Jeremy more than we do?  You appreciate him in ways we can't imagine?  Your bond goes back to New York--something we can't understand?  Well then, go on with your bad self--be the wind beneath his wings. ;)

#46 Dayak

Dayak

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 116 posts
        • LocationBorneo Island

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:44 AM

Lin played well in last 2 games. I'm so curious now, could he extends this performance when Harden is back?

#47 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 2,008 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:30 AM

Lin played well in last 2 games. I'm so curious now, could he extends this performance when Harden is back?

Hopefully, but probably not.

#48 SadLakerFan

SadLakerFan

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 172 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:19 AM

Is he "clutch"? He certainly was in a game at Toronto two years ago. He'll have a chance to show how "clutch" he is this year, since the Rockets will make the playoffs and he should be in the rotation.

It just takes one good playoff run to cement a player's reputation. I remember last year, the Japanese press was speculating that Koji Uehara would fold under pressure in the playoffs because he bombed with the Texas Rangers a couple of years ago. Now, all you hear about is how "clutch" he is in big game situations.

#49 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,865 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:57 AM

I'm one of those that is not a LOF but that believes that Lin can contribute to the success of this team going forward, particularly as the vital 6th man, which most successful teams have on their roster.

I agree with this sentiment. I am not sure how I get labeled as a detractor. I wrote that I wanted him to succeed as a sixth man. To me he is another role player the Rockets need to be productive so they can be competitive.

It's because some of the more crazy Lin fans on this board misinterpret any comment that doesn't praise Lin as criticism.  

You could say "Lin and Harden don't compliment each other" and they will call you a Lin hater even though the comment isn't a criticism at all.  

You could say "I'm more invested in the Rocket's team success than Lin's individual success" and they will call you a Lin hater.  

It's not you, it's them.  They're the crazy ones.

I don't know what's really left to be debated.  Lin doesn't play well with Harden, his cap number is too high for a bench player, and he needs to be traded.  End of story.

I believe it is comments like the last one above that set some of the members on this board off when Lin detractors say things like "Lin's cap number is too high, he needs to be traded, end of story".

Really, some of the LOF's on this board bother me just as much, sometimes even more, as comments like the above. Some of the LOF's on this board need to realize success in the NBA is not about the individual, it is about the team. Individuals don't win rings in this league, only teams do.

It's great that the Rockets earned 2 much needed victories over the Spurs and the Mavericks after last weekend's debacle with the Grizzlies. It's nice that Lin contributed with 2 solid games. However, the very first time he has a below average game going forward, or the very next time the Rockets lose, I can guarantee one thing. The Lin detractors will be back in force demanding a trade and the McHale detractors will be back in force demanding he be fired.

I don't understand why we can't just continue marveling at the quick progress of our young team and realize that all the key rotation players and our coaching staff this season need our support more than our criticism. I don't mind reading other members criticism, but to continue railing for Lin to be traded and for McHale to be fired doesn't count as criticism in my view. Especially since the Rockets have had so much success this season. Please continue insightful critical comments but can you please stop whining about Lin and McHale!!

Edited by rocketrick, 30 January 2014 - 10:06 AM.

#50 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPipPip
              • 548 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:22 PM

My only complaint about Lin and his style of play, is on the drives where, at the last second he decides NOT to shoot. This is where he commits the majority of his turnovers. I counted no less than 3 times last night where such a decision resulted in a negative result for the team. The refs are much more likely to call contact fouls in the post when a shot is attempted rather than a pass. If the finesse shot he is driving for isn't there, I'd much prefer him to seek out contact in a shot attempt, ala Harden or Lowry. At least the possible results from this are predictable and traditional and planned for by coaching:

1. A foul is called and he goes to the line.
                2. The shot is missed, and the post guys, if doing their jobs, are there to recover the rebound.
                3. The shot is blocked and we have a chance to retain possession if it goes out of bounds, or is recovered in the backcourt 
                4. The shot goes in.

The spontaneous passes right at the basket, mid-air, in a drive, are a problem. Sometimes he doesn't even get to that point and will pick up his dribble on the way to the hoop forcing us to reset the play altogether. He's a great scorer and needs to stay aggressive to that end. It's also why he's better at the SG position and not the initiator of the offense.

There is no doubt in my mind though with his versatility and scoring abilities that he is worth every bit what we pay him and he will be a key part to our future successes.

#51 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                • 4,125 posts
                • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:35 PM

I thought I'd add a little more understanding to the reason we try to play Lin and Harden separately--aside from what we already know (redundant skill set, need for a second unit leader/scorer, etc.)

When you look at their shot charts each player is best utilized on the left side of the court.  Unfortunately, there can be only one.

Let's start with Harden' chart.

His bread and butter is pretty obvious.  Let's move on to Lin.

Well, that's problematic.  They both excel in the same parts of the court.  Just to make sure it's not a fluke--let's look at a chart showing his last 30 days worth of games--most of which were as a starter and not a reserve.

Consistent....and unfortunate.  Let's look at the last two games to further support what we're looking at--the two without Mr. Harden.

San Antonio:

Here, we see he stuck to his usual right side of the floor and shot 5-13.  He still posted a nice 18-8 with 3 to's.

Dallas:

He shifted to the left and sure enough he shoots 8-14 for 18 points with 7 assists and 2 to's.  Heck, he even threw in 7 rebounds.

This is the crux of the problem when trying to play Harden and Lin together.  Unless the coaches can devise some kind of offense that uses motion and screens to get open shots from the left wing for either player (not likely) one of the two gets relegated to their weak side and are significantly less effective.

There's good news.  As both are highly coordinated athletes they should be able to correct this deficiency through practice and training.  Since I presume Morey, McHale, and Co. are smarter than myself I also presume they are already fully aware of this and have plans.  Here is the million dollar question: is it better to train them to compliment each other or is it better to go find a guy who fits naturally?

Speaking of fitting in naturally, check out Parsons' shot chart for this year.  Yin, meet Yang.

...and here is Jones' chart:

In case anyone is curious, Beverley is disappointing all over the floor.

#52 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPip
                • 1,865 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:02 PM

As usual, Excellent Post JG. Good stuff and thought provoking!!

Edited by rocketrick, 30 January 2014 - 05:02 PM.

#53 Dayak

Dayak

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 116 posts
                  • LocationBorneo Island

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:05 PM

Very good post Johnny, thank you :)

#54 webattorney

webattorney

Rookie

• Members
                  • PipPip
                  • 50 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:52 PM

On the article "What wrong with Jeremy Lin?" just published here, there is nothing wrong with Jeremy Lin.  The title should be changed to "What's wrong with Rockets? system?"

#55 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPip
                    • 1,865 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:54 PM

On the article "What wrong with Jeremy Lin?" just published here, there is nothing wrong with Jeremy Lin.  The title should be changed to "What's wrong with Rockets? system?"

Too many injuries. A very young team (except for D12).

#56 webattorney

webattorney

Rookie

• Members
                      • PipPip
                      • 50 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:58 PM

Hopefully, but probably not.

100%, Lin will go back standing in the corner and score less than 10 points.  What Rockets need to do is very simple.  Have Lin play over 35 minutes per game, and 90% of times, the first pass after the revbound should go to Lin, especially on fast breaks.  Doing this alone will get Lin involved and play aggressively.  It's hard to get involved when you have to stand in the corner, the furthest corner from the ball dribbler.

#57 webattorney

webattorney

Rookie

• Members
                        • PipPip
                        • 50 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:59 PM

Too many injuries. A very young team (except for D12).

An improving player.  Playing with Harden.

#58 webattorney

webattorney

Rookie

• Members
                          • PipPip
                          • 50 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:00 PM

I thought I'd add a little more understanding to the reason we try to play Lin and Harden separately--aside from what we already know (redundant skill set, need for a second unit leader/scorer, etc.)

When you look at their shot charts each player is best utilized on the left side of the court.  Unfortunately, there can be only one.

Let's start with Harden' chart.

His bread and butter is pretty obvious.  Let's move on to Lin.

Well, that's problematic.  They both excel in the same parts of the court.  Just to make sure it's not a fluke--let's look at a chart showing his last 30 days worth of games--most of which were as a starter and not a reserve.

Consistent....and unfortunate.  Let's look at the last two games to further support what we're looking at--the two without Mr. Harden.

San Antonio:

Here, we see he stuck to his usual right side of the floor and shot 5-13.  He still posted a nice 18-8 with 3 to's.

Dallas:

He shifted to the left and sure enough he shoots 8-14 for 18 points with 7 assists and 2 to's.  Heck, he even threw in 7 rebounds.

This is the crux of the problem when trying to play Harden and Lin together.  Unless the coaches can devise some kind of offense that uses motion and screens to get open shots from the left wing for either player (not likely) one of the two gets relegated to their weak side and are significantly less effective.

There's good news.  As both are highly coordinated athletes they should be able to correct this deficiency through practice and training.  Since I presume Morey, McHale, and Co. are smarter than myself I also presume they are already fully aware of this and have plans.  Here is the million dollar question: is it better to train them to compliment each other or is it better to go find a guy who fits naturally?

Speaking of fitting in naturally, check out Parsons' shot chart for this year.  Yin, meet Yang.

...and here is Jones' chart:

In case anyone is curious, Beverley is disappointing all over the floor.

Your post matches what reasonable people see with their eyes.  Even after Lin leaves Rockets, Rockets is not going to contend with Bev as a starter. 

#59 webattorney

webattorney

Rookie

• Members
                            • PipPip
                            • 50 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:02 PM

My only complaint about Lin and his style of play, is on the drives where, at the last second he decides NOT to shoot. This is where he commits the majority of his turnovers. I counted no less than 3 times last night where such a decision resulted in a negative result for the team. The refs are much more likely to call contact fouls in the post when a shot is attempted rather than a pass. If the finesse shot he is driving for isn't there, I'd much prefer him to seek out contact in a shot attempt, ala Harden or Lowry. At least the possible results from this are predictable and traditional and planned for by coaching:

1. A foul is called and he goes to the line.
                              2. The shot is missed, and the post guys, if doing their jobs, are there to recover the rebound.
                              3. The shot is blocked and we have a chance to retain possession if it goes out of bounds, or is recovered in the backcourt 
                              4. The shot goes in.

The spontaneous passes right at the basket, mid-air, in a drive, are a problem. Sometimes he doesn't even get to that point and will pick up his dribble on the way to the hoop forcing us to reset the play altogether. He's a great scorer and needs to stay aggressive to that end. It's also why he's better at the SG position and not the initiator of the offense.

There is no doubt in my mind though with his versatility and scoring abilities that he is worth every bit what we pay him and he will be a key part to our future successes.

What you are saying is either he should pass or shoot, but don't change his mind?  If so, I agree.

#60 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                              • PipPipPipPipPip
                              • 1,865 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:11 PM

100%, Lin will go back standing in the corner and score less than 10 points.  What Rockets need to do is very simple.  Have Lin play over 35 minutes per game, and 90% of times, the first pass after the revbound should go to Lin, especially on fast breaks.  Doing this alone will get Lin involved and play aggressively.  It's hard to get involved when you have to stand in the corner, the furthest corner from the ball dribbler.

OK, I think I understand your frustration. I believe Lin fans (not necessarily LOF's) just need to remain patient, as Lin is being patient, to let things work out. It's amazing to me with all the roster changes and all the injuries that the Rockets are only a couple of games out from being a top 4 team in the NBA this season.

I believe the best is yet to come. It will take everyone on our roster to play their roles and continue striving to improve for this team to achieve major gains this season.

I personally enjoy watching Lin (and all of our team members) play this season. I hope that Harden and Lin can figure out how to be more effective when on the floor together. It just takes time to figure all of this out.

I'm very pleased that the Rockets have put together a roster (sans Asik) that are beginning to come together as a team. Yes, I would like to see Harden employ more of the team in his game, it will come. It's natural for players like Harden to try and take over a game. Eventually, successful players like MJ and LeBron figure it out. Let's hope that Harden can also figure out the importance of team. In the meantime, I am amazed with some of Harden's play this season. And also dismayed at some of Harden's play this season. Comes with the territory!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users