Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.
@  Mario Peña : (13 September 2015 - 05:24 PM) Sad to see Moses pass. I don't remember watching him as a Rocket but I do remember his Philly and Hawks teams. He was the perfect man to mentor Dream. It's a very sad day for his family and friends and there are many.
@  majik19 : (12 September 2015 - 09:01 PM) i just saw a post wishing Yao Ming a happy 35th birthday... am I the only one whose mind is blown that he's only 35?
@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html

Photo

Need the Aggressive... JLin

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#1 Knickabokkaz

Knickabokkaz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:12 PM

The difference between a JLin that's "in" the game, and who has taken himself "out" of the game.

Most "elite" pg's are given the freedom and opportunity to showcase what they can do offensively. All are taking more then 11 shots per game and a good average would be about 17 ppg. But the difference between those pg's and JLin in the consistency to take those amount of shots. The "flow" they are in and the rhythm they need to sustain that. Obviously JLin is not within that state of mind...

Here's a stat line of ALL the games JLin has 11+ shots per game and seemed to be "in" the game, with a "flow" and a "rhythm during the beginning of the season. Getting his shots needed to be affective, playing more efficient.

2ko9.png

18.9ppg 46%FG%, 4.91assist when Lin shoots 11+ shots per game & with an 11-1 win-loss record

Here's a stat line of games he has shot in the last 4 games. Not being aggressive, not in the flow of the game, not in a rhythm, totally not interested, to me he looks done.

v76j.jpg

In the last 4 game span, Beverley averages 10.75 shots per game, Casspi 9.3, Lin 8.0

#1 in Points Per Shot for all Point Guards (Isaiah Canaan does NOT count)

4ps6.jpg

#3 in the NBA with FG% on drives to the rim (sorry no chart)

#2 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,290 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:43 PM

Casspi shooting more than him is a fluke, and Beverly should generally have a similar shot count as Lin since they play about the same minutes. You could also argue Lin should assist more and if he can't score or assist like "elite" Pgs you mentioned perhaps he isn't.
      The rockets need Lin to provide an extra scoring punch no doubt but 2 extra shots per game isn't going to make or break the rockets.

#3 BrentYen

BrentYen

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 339 posts
      • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:19 PM

ROX started with the 6MOY idea on Lin and it worked for some earlier games. But for those recent games, he is more like a 10MOY. I don think it was the style of the play of him that mattered. From the rotation recently, he is just playing the role that ROX gave him. Not a scoring punch, but more of a backup on the court when the offense did not go right.

Is a big Jeremy Lin fan and was a big ROX fan. More importantly, a huge bball fan in general.

#4 Dayak

Dayak

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 116 posts
      • LocationBorneo Island

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:43 AM

He is not a sixth man, he is just a backup PG and 3 years/25.12 million is too much for a backup PG. I'm not saying he is a scrub, he just may not belong with the Rockets. He's a poor man's James Harden and JH is the real deal. I'm sure he will put respectable stats with some lottery teams (as the main ballhandler).

#5 goRockets

goRockets

• Members
      • Pip
      • 30 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:18 AM

I think we all know Jeremy Lin is smart, it's so obvious to him by now that his leash is very short on this team, he's only in the game for long minutes if he plays well, yet Patrick Beverley plays more minutes than him even if he's having a worse night. Unless if someone is completely numb to what's going on in a game, I think he knows that this team doesn't trust his abilities, nor does it really want him to have any freedom to operate, even with the bench. Harden is only out of the game like 10 minutes most nights, and in those 10 minutes when he's not on the floor, PB is often at the PG position anyways, JLin is playing SG. So he's not having all the PG freedom anyways, just Harden's backup when he's out. I hope that he will regain the confidence he showed early in the season, maybe having a healthier bench would help, they are kind of thin right now. But I think from the beginning of the season, Jeremy was disappointed at his demotion, unexplained demotion. He mentioed to sources that he was not expecting to come off the bench, even though he's accepted what the coach has decided, but he said there was not much conversation about it, even though McHale claims they talked about it. I think in Jeremy's mind, he and Beverley were fighting for the starting spot, but in the coaches mind, they wanted him to come off bench all along. I don't think the coaches really handled that well, and their lack of honesty with Lin and lack of trust in him is now eroding his desire to fully buy in to what they preach. I mean they tell the media they want Lin to be a spark off bench, but he's bascially getting garbage minutes, not meaningful minutes, just put in at very end of 1stQ usually, which are not competitive minutes.

#6 Richards

Richards

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 393 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:35 PM

The coaches would say they are fairest of all but like parents they have their own preferences.

Not matter what, as long as a player is important to the team, coaches will ignore his shortcomings. Look, we all knew how poor Harden's defense was but he is most reliable scorer and put up more points than anybody. So coaches used (love) him.

Lin's defense is not as bad as Harden but he put up points like Harden. I can see Lin 18PPG guy given an opportunity but still no where near Harden.

Reason Bev starting was purely for defense, Bev wasn't a good spot up shooter and he can't drive and score either. Lin improved on defense but he still not the same level as Bev.

I think most important thing for Lin is his TO. I believe coaches will trust and use him more if he can cut down TO.

Not questing Lin is a very smart guy but he need to be "basketball smart" or at least "wicked".

He played with "one speed". Whenever he dribble drive to the paint, either he score or lost the ball. He need to learn how to draw foul if he stuck in the lane. Or learn how to shoot circus shot like AB (Westbrook) instead of "giving away" the ball.

#7 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,636 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:55 PM

On a personal note, we should be getting asik back soon and I'm curious to see how that effect the bench unit especially for a hopeful revival to 6MOY lin and not January lin because he has been terrible.

#8 BrentYen

BrentYen

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 339 posts
            • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:59 PM

Is there a date set for Asik's return? If McHale are willing to let Lin play tru his mistakes for few games, I think the 6MOY will come back more quickly.

Is a big Jeremy Lin fan and was a big ROX fan. More importantly, a huge bball fan in general.

#9 webattorney

webattorney

Rookie

• Members
            • PipPip
            • 50 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:22 PM

The difference between a JLin that's "in" the game, and who has taken himself "out" of the game.

Most "elite" pg's are given the freedom and opportunity to showcase what they can do offensively. All are taking more then 11 shots per game and a good average would be about 17 ppg. But the difference between those pg's and JLin in the consistency to take those amount of shots. The "flow" they are in and the rhythm they need to sustain that. Obviously JLin is not within that state of mind...

Here's a stat line of ALL the games JLin has 11+ shots per game and seemed to be "in" the game, with a "flow" and a "rhythm during the beginning of the season. Getting his shots needed to be affective, playing more efficient.

2ko9.png

18.9ppg 46%FG%, 4.91assist when Lin shoots 11+ shots per game & with an 11-1 win-loss record

Here's a stat line of games he has shot in the last 4 games. Not being aggressive, not in the flow of the game, not in a rhythm, totally not interested, to me he looks done.

v76j.jpg

In the last 4 game span, Beverley averages 10.75 shots per game, Casspi 9.3, Lin 8.0

#1 in Points Per Shot for all Point Guards (Isaiah Canaan does NOT count)

4ps6.jpg

#3 in the NBA with FG% on drives to the rim (sorry no chart)

Seems like Lin rarely brings up the ball -- don't know whether his choice or he's told to pass off the ball -- because when Harden is in, he brings up the ball; and when Bev is in, Bev brings up the ball.  Lin hardly plays that many minutes without Harden on court, and most times, he stands at the corner waiting for the ball which rarely comes his way.  And to be frank, Lin is not all that good catch-and-shoot shooter.  Also, he seems to be playing without too much motivation these days.  All in all, Rockets need to trade him as soon as possible for their own good as well.  Lin just doesn't fit within the Rockets' system, and McHale just is not the coach for PGs.  I am not blaming anyone, or I am blaming everyone, including Lin, for his current level of play.

#10 webattorney

webattorney

Rookie

• Members
              • PipPip
              • 50 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:25 PM

Also, right now, Rockets seems to be playing incredibly boring style, no spark or excitement.  Hopefully, Rockets will get Spurs during 1st round of playoffs, since I just don't see them beating OKC or Clippers.  Spurs is their best chance.

#11 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 4,122 posts
                • Locationhouston

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:03 AM

we don't need the aggressive J-Lin.............we need the player J-Lin can be traded for :lol:

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#12 smeggysmeg

smeggysmeg

• Members
                • Pip
                • 37 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:46 AM

damn straight, an aggressive Jeremy is vital to this teams success... and yes he should be getting the ball more in hands and driving more........

it should at least start with him leading and dominating the second unit.... and then if he has it going then more second half minutes....

#13 Dayak

Dayak

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 116 posts
                  • LocationBorneo Island

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:13 AM

we don't need the aggressive J-Lin.............we need the player J-Lin can be traded for :lol:

For a 2nd round draft pick? :lol:. He's not a scrub, he is a good young player TBH.

#14 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 2,008 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:42 AM

Agreed.

#15 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 2,596 posts
                    • LocationAlabama

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:53 AM

Sometimes I wish fans could be traded.

Why so Serious? :D

#16 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 4,122 posts
                    • Locationhouston

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:55 AM

@TTDN

that's a point I would have to agree with :lol:

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#17 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 2,008 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:58 AM

Sometimes I wish fans could be traded.

So do the Knicks.

#18 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                      • 2,596 posts
                      • LocationAlabama

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:06 AM

Do the Knicks even have fans?

Why so Serious? :D

#19 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPip
                      • 1,636 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:26 AM

If the bucks do I would have to infer the nicks do.

#20 SadLakerFan

SadLakerFan

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 172 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:20 AM

I think I'll give up on hoops for the year; Felton and Hardaway Jr. combined for 38 points against the Lakers the other night. Before I go, I'd like to offer my thoughts on the Lin debate. I have spent most of my life in LA and Tokyo. In Tokyo Jeremy Lin isn't much more than a curiosity, but the Japanese love baseball, and the success of their players In the MLB is a source of very intense national pride, and when they fail, it's genuinely painful. So, I can understand how Chinese/Taiwanese, or Asian Americans in general (Asian Americans seem to identify much more with each other as a group, whereas Asians who live is Asia don't seem to do so), feel about Jeremy Lin. However, they need to understand that Jeremy Lin will never be an elite point guard or an all-star calibre player. In my opinion, we've had a large enough sample size to be able to conclude that.

However, he is a guy that can give you 10-15 points off the bench fairly consistently because on most nights, the kid can score. In the NBA, that's quite an accomplishment in itself, and I think the lin fans should embrace that. If Lin had never had his improbable run with the Knicks, I think everyone would be amazed at what he has achieved (no other Asian has ever done it) and would be overjoyed by it. I think that lin fans should take pride in the fact that Lin, an Asian. is not only playing in the NBA, but contributing, making some spectacular plays and, on some nights, pouring in a ton of points.

Anyway, hope you guys have a great season.

Edited by SadLakerFan, 28 January 2014 - 09:21 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users