Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

Grading James Harden

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#41 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,128 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:15 PM

Teague vs. Lin is a tough call--I like them both.

Blake Griffin...that's tough as I naturally don't like him...he played at Oklahoma.  I also think he is over-rated by the media because of his hyper-athleticism.

I can say that it is interesting his play-off numbers dipped this year--due to a decrease in his playing time...He couldn't hang with Z-Bo and Gasol--not that many can.

He is an excellent finisher, and makes a good number of his post-up hook shots....after that, I'm not certain he is very useful...he is a decent defender.  I know he is working on his jump shot, but right now it's bad--so bad Josh Smith looks good in comparison. :lol:

So, I guess I will give him a B+.  His huge contract weighs into that.  He did what he is supposed to do very well, but for that much money his jump shot needs to improve...if he finds the range and can knock down 15-18 ft. jumpers with regularity he will be lethal on offense and definitely find himself in the A range.

I am biased as I believe any skilled NBA player should be able to comfortably shoot from 15 -18 ft--unless you are a 7' behemoth whose job description is to dominate the paint.  (one of my knocks against Harden--if he is supposed to be one of the best SG's in the league then I need to see better shooting.  I know he scores a lot, but it's the shooting part that bugs me.)

#42 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,128 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:30 PM

Oh you think he will stop getting calls, now I understand your concern. Well if it makes you feel better, his shot chart looks better than Wade's in Wade's prime. http://stats.nba.com...&Season=2007-08

Considering how Wade is still considered an elite SG even to this day, I still think defense is the bigger concern in Harden's game. But I agree, Harden could start getting less calls one day so he should improve his shooting before that happens. And if by chance he improves his shooting while still getting the calls, then look out, his TS% will reach that astronomical Lebron/Durant efficiency status. 

I never really responded to this...comparing James Harden to Dwayne Wade's injury-riddled season where he only played 51 games is a little dubious, isn't it?  Especially when you describe it as Wade's "prime".  Clearly, two years earlier when he won the championship with Shaq was his prime.  Wade converted 63% of his shots at the rim and got tons of foul calls (he made 629 out of 803 free throws that year).  Harden shot 54% this year at the rim.  Harden's 3 pt. shooting was markedly better.  Harden made 674 out of 792 free throws this year, for comparison.

Again, I'm not saying he can't, or won't get there.  I'm saying he is not there and, until he is, it's a concern.

Edit: Wade's best season was probably '08-'09 when he finally got healthy and made up for lost time

#43 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:37 PM

@thejohnnygold

B+ is a decent grade for blake (IMO)  I agree he need to develop that jump shot of his. I think that's why his numbers decreased during the playoffs.....teams simply aren't going to give up many lobs. this also rendered d-Jordan useless. even tho he was already slipping b4 the playoffs even started.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#44 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,128 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:38 PM

Oh, and RBF, this was my reaction when I saw you give Josh Smith a B+

45822-Keanu-Bill-and-Ted-whoa-gif-49A7.g

...until I realized that just shows how lowly you regard his game...and then I felt more like this...

xnra05.gif

#45 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,128 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

@thejohnnygold

B+ is a decent grade for blake (IMO)  I agree he need to develop that jump shot of his. I think that's why his numbers decreased during the playoffs.....teams simply aren't going to give up many lobs. this also rendered d-Jordan useless. even tho he was already slipping b4 the playoffs even started.

Again, this goes back to my concern for Harden...His game is not yet multi-faceted and without referee assistance he struggles to put together a respectable game.

#46 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:49 PM

I never really responded to this...comparing James Harden to Dwayne Wade's injury-riddled season where he only played 51 games is a little dubious, isn't it?  Especially when you describe it as Wade's "prime".  Clearly, two years earlier when he won the championship with Shaq was his prime.  Wade converted 63% of his shots at the rim and got tons of foul calls (he made 629 out of 803 free throws that year).  Harden shot 54% this year at the rim.  Harden's 3 pt. shooting was markedly better.  Harden made 674 out of 792 free throws this year, for comparison.

Again, I'm not saying he can't, or won't get there.  I'm saying he is not there and, until he is, it's a concern.

My mistake, I was supposed to use 2009 which was Wade's highest PER year: http://stats.nba.com...&Season=2008-09

For whatever it's worth, don't forget that 3's are worth more than 2's. For example 45% midrange is the same thing as a 30% 3-pt. And 50% midrange (very, very rare) is the same thing as a 33.3% 3pt (very common). 

#47 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

Again, this goes back to my concern for Harden...His game is not yet multi-faceted and without referee assistance he struggles to put together a respectable game.

the thing is blake was in his role last year and had minimal gains this year. harden was just receiving this role this year and had the largest point gain in scoring average in the nba this year. that gets him a better grade to me

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#48 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,128 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:58 PM

Yup, and I keep trying to steer you away from the pps viewpoint.  I get it.  If you want to keep bringing it up like I don't you can, but it's beating a  dead horse as I have acknowledged it the whole time.  I am ONLY talking pure fg% with Harden.  I am talking about game by game, if you take away those free throws, the shine comes off reeeeaaaaal fast.  That's it.

Look at his game logs (I'm sure you have, but look again).  Even Tyreke Evans thinks that's wildly inconsistent...

#49 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:00 PM

For whatever it's worth, Harden's eFG% was .504 last season and .558 the season before that. Hopefully he improves and we see more of that in upcoming years despite his new role. 

#50 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,128 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:07 PM

the thing is blake was in his role last year and had minimal gains this year. harden was just receiving this role this year and had the largest point gain in scoring average in the nba this year. that gets him a better grade to me

Like I have said all along--I accept every reason for Harden's struggles.  I gave him an "A" myself.  I still have my concerns before I start putting him up too high on a pedestal (not implying you are, but there are a few posts around here that do).  As much as I hate to say it, Harden could just as easily veer off into Tyreke/Monta Land.  I think he can be great, but he's got to make some adjustments/improvements to get there and, like the rest of you, I have faith he will.

#51 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:08 PM

Yup, and I keep trying to steer you away from the pps viewpoint.  I get it.  If you want to keep bringing it up like I don't you can, but it's beating a  dead horse as I have acknowledged it the whole time.  I am ONLY talking pure fg% with Harden.  I am talking about game by game, if you take away those free throws, the shine comes off reeeeaaaaal fast.  That's it.

Look at his game logs (I'm sure you have, but look again).  Even Tyreke Evans thinks that's wildly inconsistent...

oh I have already given up trying to change your mind :lol: you have your opinion and I respect that. however I'm a little more forgiving on harden this year. like I said b4 if there is no improvement next year then I'll be concerned.

#52 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,128 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:18 PM

2016, for being "open-minded" you are maintaining a narrow scope here.  I know what the stats are.  Thank you for sharing.

Let's step away from numbers altogether.  If you think Harden is a great shooter then so be it.  I do not.  There is a difference between scoring and shooting.

Lebron used to be a scorer only and has transformed himself into an excellent shooter as well (my hope for Harden).  Durant is an excellent shooter.  JJ Redick.  Richard Hamilton.  Going back, Larry Bird comes to mind.  Jeff Hornacek.  This is what I am talking about.  Anything else is outside the realm of my concern.

#53 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,128 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

oh I have already given up trying to change your mind :lol: you have your opinion and I respect that. however I'm a little more forgiving on harden this year. like I said b4 if there is no improvement next year then I'll be concerned.

Sorry, that response was for 2016...I should keep the quoted text in my responses....I don't get it...I gave Harden an A for the year.  Judging from the lack of support from the peanut gallery I am truly alone on this one.  I just think Harden was way too inconsistent (regardless of context) to ignore.  I think if he were on another team, and we were in need of a SG, his shooting performances would come under much greater scrutiny. 

#54 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

I agree TJG. But I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect Bosh/Curry levels. But he needs to have some sort of jumper from midrange to make teams respect it.

Why so Serious? :D

#55 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

Sorry, that response was for 2016...I should keep the quoted text in my responses....I don't get it...I gave Harden an A for the year.  Judging from the lack of support from the peanut gallery I am truly alone on this one.  I just think Harden was way too inconsistent (regardless of context) to ignore.  I think if he were on another team, and we were in need of a SG, his shooting performances would come under much greater scrutiny. 

you gave harden an INC for the year in you first post in this thread. that's how this discussion started. you said you wanted to wait till next year. that the jury was still out. I gave harden an A right from the beginning. I understand all of the concerns you list. however I don't need to see next year in order to grade this year. if he fails to improve his grade will be lower next year. another A next year will be harder to receive because expectations will be higher.

#56 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

2016, for being "open-minded" you are maintaining a narrow scope here.  I know what the stats are.  Thank you for sharing.

Let's step away from numbers altogether.  If you think Harden is a great shooter then so be it.  I do not.  There is a difference between scoring and shooting.

Lebron used to be a scorer only and has transformed himself into an excellent shooter as well (my hope for Harden).  Durant is an excellent shooter.  JJ Redick.  Richard Hamilton.  Going back, Larry Bird comes to mind.  Jeff Hornacek.  This is what I am talking about.  Anything else is outside the realm of my concern.

You misunderstand me, I too am concerned about Harden's shooting, I'm just saying it's not my biggest concern. Lets take a closer look at his shooting:

Pick and roll handling 3's: 39.5% -- 346 attempts

Spot up 3's: 39.1% -- 128 attempts

Isolation 3's: 31% -- 417 atttempts

The problem is that he takes too many iso 3's (I could care less about his mid-range, I'm a believer of the Rockets philosophy that mid-range shots should be avoided all together). 

So in other words, his poor shooting this season is more a product of too many isos. Here's my top two concerns:

1. Poor defense

2. Too many isos

#57 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
  • 2,303 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

I think the poor old fashion FG% was at first the adjustment phase and later as the season progressed he was just running out of gas with that middle period probably the truest barometer. Of course anyone has the right to critique Harden in whatever manner they see fit but in my opinion there is enough of that that I do not really need to. If I was in a room with 3 Rocket fans that only praised Harden I would have to point out his flaws but that is definitely not the case here in the forum. To me Harden has arrived here in Houston and put us back on the map. Sure you have those Rocket diehards that rave about Parsons and yearn for Lin to get more credit but in my opinion this show goes on no matter who is on this roster playing along with Harden, he is this franchise going forward. Thank the basketball gods we got our superstar.

James Harden: A
How sweet it is!

#58 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

I think the poor old fashion FG% was at first the adjustment phase and later as the season progressed he was just running out of gas with that middle period probably the truest barometer. Of course anyone has the right to critique Harden in whatever manner they see fit but in my opinion there is enough of that that I do not really need to. If I was in a room with 3 Rocket fans that only praised Harden I would have to point out his flaws but that is definitely not the case here in the forum. To me Harden has arrived here in Houston and put us back on the map. Sure you have those Rocket diehards that rave about Parsons and yearn for Lin to get more credit but in my opinion this show goes on no matter who is on this roster playing along with Harden, he is this franchise going forward. Thank the basketball gods we got our superstar.

James Harden: A

at the risk of upsetting some I totally agree :lol: if you subtract harden from this team how many games do we win? do we go to the playoffs? do we have a chance to be in the conversation to acquire players like D-12? would we be the envy of about 25 other teams in the league? fact is harden's acquisition made all of this possible. why does the future look so bright I may need some shades? B)  I think I may have been a little harsh on harden his first year......I now give him an A+

#59 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:13 PM

By the way JD, you might want to take a look at Kobe's eFG% http://www.basketbal.../bryanko01.html

If Harden's shooting was a concern this season, Kobe's career shooting should be an even bigger concern and yet people are saying he's a top 10 player of all time. 

Once again, I share your concern so I'm not trying to be narrow minded here. I'm just not sure if it's the biggest concern.

#60 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:40 AM

Ok I've been trying to stay off the forum during Houston off-season until FA starts, but I have followed the forum.

I agree with JG's assesment of Harden. Most people seems to give Harden too many excuses and quoting stats. While most of his stats are very impressive, and can display a lot of his greatness, the game logs gives a different view of Mr Harden.

DATE OPP SCORE MIN FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS Fri 5/3 L 94-103 43 7-22 .318 4-10 .400 8-11 .727 6 7 2 2 1 4 26 Wed 5/1 W 107-100 42 10-16 .625 7-9 .778 4-5 .800 8 3 1 1 2 3 31 Mon 4/29 W 105-103 35 4-12 .333 0-4 .000 7-8 .875 1 3 1 5 5 10 15 Sat 4/27 L 101-104 44 9-22 .409 2-8 .250 10-15 .667 8 6 2 2 4 2 30 Wed 4/24 L 102-105 45 9-24 .375 1-7 .143 17-20 .850 11 6 0 1 3 6 36 Sun 4/21 L 91-120 34 6-19 .316 1-6 .167 7-7 1.000 6 2 0 1 3 2 20 Conference Quarterfinals 40.5 7.5-19.2 .391 2.5-7.3 .341 8.8-11.0 .803 6.7 4.5 1.0 2.0 3.0 4.5 26.3 POSTSEASON STATS MIN FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS Averages 40.5 7.5-19.2 .391 2.5-7.3 .341 8.8-11.0 .803 6.7 4.5 1.0 2.0 3.0 4.5 26.3 Totals 243 45-115 .391 15-44 .341 53-66 .803 40 27 6 12 18 27 158

One look at the playoff series. 6-19 , 9-24, 9-22, 10-16, 7-22, 4-12, Those are the fg attempts and made.

4 out of 6 games he shot under 40%. While the overall average is decent, there are too many games when he shoots under 33%. He still got his 26 ppg in the series due to his FT which are important but as a shooter and finisher he wasn't that great. And if you take off his hot night when he was 10 for 16 he was during the other games which was 35 for 99 which is 35%.

I forgot the stats and too tired to looked at the complete game logs. But on a quick scan he had 13 games where he shot under 30% out of 78 games which is roughly 17% of the games. So your are looking at almost 1 out of 5 games he is shooting under 30 %.

Under 40 % the game total is 31 games out of 78 games. = 39.7% round it up to 40 % so basically 2 out 5 games he shoots under 40 %.

If harden just shoots under 40% its not terrible because he gets on the line but most of those games he is in the mid 30s or below. But you have to consider that out of a full season schedule this is 32  games when he struggles. And for someone who doesn't contribute to defence its kind of hard to have your go to guy shoot poorly and play no D to win especially when Harden is our best player by far.

Sorry for cluttered post, but I just put it up quickly. I would give Harden an A for exceeding our expectations but an overall grade of B+ because when you don't play defence and you struggle about 40% of the games where you shoot below 40% and dont stop your opponent its kind of hard to give an A. It's like giving a student an A when he is a great test taker, but can't put up a decent paper, because you need to do both to earn that illusive A where you almost had a perfect season. His D is just too poor to deserve an A even though he ace it on one side of the court.

He is a potential Superstar, but right now he is just a offensive star, not a superstar player.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users