Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  jorgeaam : (29 September 2014 - 09:01 PM) It was a joke, it seemed like Injury Report in there
@  Cooper : (29 September 2014 - 04:03 PM) you're quick
@  jorgeaam : (28 September 2014 - 04:35 AM) Paul George out for the season
@  Buckko : (28 September 2014 - 02:07 AM) Tyreke Evans out 3-5 weeks.
@  Cooper : (27 September 2014 - 01:05 AM) rondo out 6-8 weeks
@  rocketrick : (25 September 2014 - 02:06 PM) I'm not a huge Bill Simmons fan as his "inside information" related to NBA player movement at times is a reach, but today I LOVE me some Bill Simmons! He is willing to say what most everyone feels about one Roger Goodell. Should be a lesson for the NBA prior to the start of the regular season.
@  Cooper : (25 September 2014 - 01:58 AM) Worth the gamble for the suns but was not the best option for the rockets.
@  rocketrick : (25 September 2014 - 12:28 AM) Wow, early reports this morning was 4 years around $50 million and by late this afternoon that had changed to 5 years at $70 million for Eric Bledsoe. Good for him! Much too expensive for the Rockets in my opinion.
@  thenit : (24 September 2014 - 11:51 PM) 5for 70 is what I have seen
@  rocketrick : (24 September 2014 - 01:24 PM) $50 million moreorless per reports.
@  rocketrick : (24 September 2014 - 01:24 PM) Like I posted on numerous occasions, chasing Bledsoe was a waste of time. Reports this morning indicate he is close to signing a 4-year deal for P million moreorless, to stay a Sun going forward.
@  thejohnnygold : (24 September 2014 - 12:37 AM) I believe it is that Harden is insanely good playing off the ball...we simply lack a better ball handler/creator. Hence, Rondo.
@  2016Champions : (23 September 2014 - 05:32 PM) I heard Morey loves Rondo though so there must be something I'm missing.
@  2016Champions : (23 September 2014 - 04:56 PM) Bledsoe played off the ball a lot next to Dragic, right? So wouldn't that make him the better fit in contrast to the ball dominant Rondo?
@  YaoMan : (22 September 2014 - 04:29 PM) Personally I'd rather have Rondo over Bledsoe by far but I'm not sure the chances of getting Rondo are that high but I am hoping
@  redfaithful : (21 September 2014 - 11:40 AM) So many overpaid players in Minnesota... Including a couple ex-Rockets
@  Cooper : (20 September 2014 - 12:48 AM) Bennet? Or they have a couple other young guys.
@  txtdo1411 : (19 September 2014 - 10:29 PM) Did anybody else see that Minny offered Bledsoe a max? I believe they are over the cap, so it would have to be a S&T. I wonder who the Wolves feel they can deal to get Bledsoe.
@  thejohnnygold : (17 September 2014 - 10:46 PM) Nice article about Trevor Ariza. LINK
@  feelingsuper... : (15 September 2014 - 09:01 PM) Okay, I may have been a little harsh down below in my earlier comments but at the very least I agree with Bird, Paul George's comments were thoughtless. Thanks for the link jorgeaam.

Photo

Patrick Beverley Incoming

Player Movement

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

So, per Feigen, the Rockets have cut Scott Machado to make room for Patrick Beverley.

Beverley was the Eurocup MVP (which is the second tier of European Basketball competition - kind of the like the Europa League vs the Champions League) with Spartak Moscow. General consensus that I'm hearing is that he is a much more NBA-ready player than Machado (which I guess you'd expect given that he's got 4-5 years of European basketball experience under his belt). You don't get to be an MVP even in a second tier competition unless you can score and presumably dole out assists as well.

It's a shame to get rid of Machado, but I don't think Morey would have done it unless he'd seen something in Beverley that he thought was more promising. Hopefully we'll get to see what it is that's made him attractive enough to bring in.

ST

#2 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,966 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

morey has done and outstanding job spotting talent once we decided we were going to go young. lets hope he has found another piece to the puzzle. the rockets signed him to a 3 year deal so they must like him a lot.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#3 areteejay789

areteejay789

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

Is it the same three year deal we signed greg smith to? 2nd and 3rd years both unguaranteed?

#4 tombrokeoff

tombrokeoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

unless im missing something, this kind of came out of nowhere, but i trust morey so i presume and hope its an upgrade.

#5 Bigtkirk

Bigtkirk

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

This move addresses one of the Rockets' weaknesses, which is relying on Douglas as the backup PG (Douglas is better suited as a backup combo guard). Also, I suspect that the Rockets will offer Machado a D-League contract if his contract passes through waivers. But my question is whether this move indicates that the Rockets are losing interesting in Sergio Llull?

#6 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

This move addresses one of the Rockets' weaknesses, which is relying on Douglas as the backup PG (Douglas is better suited as a backup combo guard). Also, I suspect that the Rockets will offer Machado a D-League contract if his contract passes through waivers. But my question is whether this move indicates that the Rockets are losing interesting in Sergio Llull?

Llull signed quite a long contract with his ACB team, so it's very unlikely that he's ever going to cross the Atlantic. Suspect the Rockets have put that one on the backburner.

unless im missing something, this kind of came out of nowhere, but i trust morey so i presume and hope its an upgrade.

Feigen has been talking about the Rockets' interest in Beverley for a few weeks - I think about the same time that he got word they were going for James Anderson. So it's been floating around for a little while.

ST

#7 tombrokeoff

tombrokeoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:53 PM

Feigen has been talking about the Rockets' interest in Beverley for a few weeks - I think about the same time that he got word they were going for James Anderson. So it's been floating around for a little while.

ST

ahh ok, thanks. somehow i missed that. i follow him on twitter, but dont really goto the chron's website anymore.

#8 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:05 AM

One thing that's funny is that everytime the Rockets sign some random guy like this whether it be from the second round or wherever, I never even bother to put up an article about it because I assume he'll suck. And then most of the time it turns out to be a contributor.

Second point: this goes along with the "do the Rockets have the deepest bench" thread...Morey's forte is finding those role player guys. Now that he has his core in Harden-Lin-Asik-Parsons, it will be exciting/interesting watching him fill around with other young pieces.

#9 miketheodio

miketheodio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:28 AM

after watching less than 2 minutes of todays game. im going to preemptively jump on the Patrick Beverley train.

CHOO

CHOO

#10 amacbrooks12

amacbrooks12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationBronx, New York

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:08 AM

the guy stripped Jamal Crawford while he was performing his famous crossover, knocked down a 3, and played with great energy. He didn't even look nervous at all, as if he's been playing since the start of the season. I'm not on the train because it's one game in garbage time, but we should keep an eye on Patrick Beverley.

#11 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

the guy stripped Jamal Crawford while he was performing his famous crossover, knocked down a 3, and played with great energy. He didn't even look nervous at all, as if he's been playing since the start of the season. I'm not on the train because it's one game in garbage time, but we should keep an eye on Patrick Beverley.

On consecutive defensive plays, he ripped Crawford's crossover and then forced him into a jumped pass. I was extremely impressed by his defense.

#12 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

I'm going to post video of those plays later today when I get time. But if that pops up somewhere else beforehand, please post that in here.

#13 bob schmidt

bob schmidt

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationBrownsville, Texas

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

Like Rahat, I was highly impressed with his defense. In addition, I was surprised with his handle on the ball. I've become accustomed to holding my breath while non-regulars handle the ball, but Beverley looked rock-solid with his dribble. While the appearance was brief, I was certainly impressed.

#14 DaDakota

DaDakota

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

Seems like a keeper, Jeremy better watch his back....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users