Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  txtdo1411 : (20 December 2014 - 05:10 PM) I disagree Cooper. He is a fairly good handler and passer, so I could see him cutting into Canaan's minutes with the second unit.
@  Cooper : (20 December 2014 - 12:24 AM) Ideally shved isn't going to play a whole lot
@  jorgeaam : (20 December 2014 - 12:22 AM) Philly has become the official dumpster of the nba
@  YaoMan : (20 December 2014 - 12:20 AM) Giving Rockets lots of options. Terry and Shved can play together when Harden and Bev are resting...
@  jorgeaam : (20 December 2014 - 12:18 AM) He's 6'6 and can handle the ball
@  jorgeaam : (20 December 2014 - 12:18 AM) Yes, Shved is probably playing PG/SG
@  YaoMan : (20 December 2014 - 12:15 AM) Is Shved going to play back up PG? Would that also mean Papa gets more time at the 4?
@  YaoMan : (20 December 2014 - 12:04 AM) Shved is coming to the Rockets too???
@  jorgeaam : (19 December 2014 - 11:37 PM) Alexey Shved has been traded to the Rockets in exchange for Ronny Turiaf./ Rockets waive G/F Francisco Garcia.
@  jorgeaam : (19 December 2014 - 11:37 PM) There we go
@  thenit : (19 December 2014 - 10:16 PM) I think Morey wanted Brewer from the get go. But he got them mixed up last season and got the wrong one.
@  YaoMan : (19 December 2014 - 09:43 PM) With Brewer, the Rox can have superior defense all around. Imagine Brewer, Ariza, Howard and Bev pestering the heck out of opposing offenses...
@  Mario Peña : (19 December 2014 - 08:32 PM) This is good news and hopefully Brewer slips right in.
@  YaoMan : (19 December 2014 - 08:04 PM) I like Troy but Brewer will definitely help the Rox
@  jorgeaam : (19 December 2014 - 08:03 PM) Turiaf is out for the year, so he is definitely going somewhere else, Rockets not done trading
@  jorgeaam : (19 December 2014 - 08:02 PM) Here's another link http://sports.yahoo....-194852845.html
@  Cooper : (19 December 2014 - 08:02 PM) brewer for daniels possibly with turiaf going somewhere
@  jorgeaam : (19 December 2014 - 08:01 PM) Along with Brewer is Turiaf, traded Troy Daniels and the Rockets must waive somebody
@  jorgeaam : (19 December 2014 - 08:00 PM) https://twitter.com/...025897019846656
@  jorgeaam : (19 December 2014 - 08:00 PM) Wojnarowski

Photo

Patrick Beverley Incoming

Player Movement

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

So, per Feigen, the Rockets have cut Scott Machado to make room for Patrick Beverley.

Beverley was the Eurocup MVP (which is the second tier of European Basketball competition - kind of the like the Europa League vs the Champions League) with Spartak Moscow. General consensus that I'm hearing is that he is a much more NBA-ready player than Machado (which I guess you'd expect given that he's got 4-5 years of European basketball experience under his belt). You don't get to be an MVP even in a second tier competition unless you can score and presumably dole out assists as well.

It's a shame to get rid of Machado, but I don't think Morey would have done it unless he'd seen something in Beverley that he thought was more promising. Hopefully we'll get to see what it is that's made him attractive enough to bring in.

ST

#2 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,015 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

morey has done and outstanding job spotting talent once we decided we were going to go young. lets hope he has found another piece to the puzzle. the rockets signed him to a 3 year deal so they must like him a lot.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#3 areteejay789

areteejay789

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

Is it the same three year deal we signed greg smith to? 2nd and 3rd years both unguaranteed?

#4 tombrokeoff

tombrokeoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

unless im missing something, this kind of came out of nowhere, but i trust morey so i presume and hope its an upgrade.

#5 Bigtkirk

Bigtkirk

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

This move addresses one of the Rockets' weaknesses, which is relying on Douglas as the backup PG (Douglas is better suited as a backup combo guard). Also, I suspect that the Rockets will offer Machado a D-League contract if his contract passes through waivers. But my question is whether this move indicates that the Rockets are losing interesting in Sergio Llull?

#6 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

This move addresses one of the Rockets' weaknesses, which is relying on Douglas as the backup PG (Douglas is better suited as a backup combo guard). Also, I suspect that the Rockets will offer Machado a D-League contract if his contract passes through waivers. But my question is whether this move indicates that the Rockets are losing interesting in Sergio Llull?

Llull signed quite a long contract with his ACB team, so it's very unlikely that he's ever going to cross the Atlantic. Suspect the Rockets have put that one on the backburner.

unless im missing something, this kind of came out of nowhere, but i trust morey so i presume and hope its an upgrade.

Feigen has been talking about the Rockets' interest in Beverley for a few weeks - I think about the same time that he got word they were going for James Anderson. So it's been floating around for a little while.

ST

#7 tombrokeoff

tombrokeoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:53 PM

Feigen has been talking about the Rockets' interest in Beverley for a few weeks - I think about the same time that he got word they were going for James Anderson. So it's been floating around for a little while.

ST

ahh ok, thanks. somehow i missed that. i follow him on twitter, but dont really goto the chron's website anymore.

#8 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:05 AM

One thing that's funny is that everytime the Rockets sign some random guy like this whether it be from the second round or wherever, I never even bother to put up an article about it because I assume he'll suck. And then most of the time it turns out to be a contributor.

Second point: this goes along with the "do the Rockets have the deepest bench" thread...Morey's forte is finding those role player guys. Now that he has his core in Harden-Lin-Asik-Parsons, it will be exciting/interesting watching him fill around with other young pieces.

#9 miketheodio

miketheodio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:28 AM

after watching less than 2 minutes of todays game. im going to preemptively jump on the Patrick Beverley train.

CHOO

CHOO

#10 amacbrooks12

amacbrooks12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationBronx, New York

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:08 AM

the guy stripped Jamal Crawford while he was performing his famous crossover, knocked down a 3, and played with great energy. He didn't even look nervous at all, as if he's been playing since the start of the season. I'm not on the train because it's one game in garbage time, but we should keep an eye on Patrick Beverley.

#11 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

the guy stripped Jamal Crawford while he was performing his famous crossover, knocked down a 3, and played with great energy. He didn't even look nervous at all, as if he's been playing since the start of the season. I'm not on the train because it's one game in garbage time, but we should keep an eye on Patrick Beverley.

On consecutive defensive plays, he ripped Crawford's crossover and then forced him into a jumped pass. I was extremely impressed by his defense.

#12 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

I'm going to post video of those plays later today when I get time. But if that pops up somewhere else beforehand, please post that in here.

#13 bob schmidt

bob schmidt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationBrownsville, Texas

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

Like Rahat, I was highly impressed with his defense. In addition, I was surprised with his handle on the ball. I've become accustomed to holding my breath while non-regulars handle the ball, but Beverley looked rock-solid with his dribble. While the appearance was brief, I was certainly impressed.

#14 DaDakota

DaDakota

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

Seems like a keeper, Jeremy better watch his back....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users