Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  thejohnnygold : (23 September 2016 - 03:02 PM) @Slick Shoes - I don't think so....I may have had him bundled in a trade scenario or two back when Phoenix had ALL the PG's.
@  slick shoes : (22 September 2016 - 08:53 PM) I'm liking the trade with Beasley for Tyler Ennis. JG, weren't you advocating drafting him a year or two ago?
@  thejohnnygold : (17 September 2016 - 03:38 PM) I think they will eventually settle on a good deal, but it will likely have early team options to protect against his chronic injury problems.
@  slick shoes : (16 September 2016 - 02:47 PM) If no one else is making any offers, why would we exceed the minimum? Is it that he/his agent think his value is higher than the market dictates?
@  thejohnnygold : (16 September 2016 - 01:08 PM) Yup. The last sentence of that article says it all. "All deals get done in the 11th hour".
@  DenverRocket : (15 September 2016 - 06:16 PM) The latest on D-Mo http://www.espn.com/...rockets-lagging
@  slick shoes : (29 August 2016 - 11:42 AM) At some point they've got to start trading SOME of these picks for veteran players...
@  thejohnnygold : (26 August 2016 - 10:03 PM) Call me crazy, but I'd rather have Kendall Marshall than 2 2nd rounders.
@  slick shoes : (26 August 2016 - 08:30 PM) the 76's trade for another center? im assuming they were really after the two 2nd rounders...
@  thejohnnygold : (07 August 2016 - 07:16 PM) Nope, but there is some raw talent to work with there. He is years away...
@  majik19 : (06 August 2016 - 11:53 PM) well it doesn't look like Zhou Qi is NBA-ready
@  thejohnnygold : (25 July 2016 - 04:26 PM) I think I am going to like Bobby Brown...that is within the confines of our current strategy which is score, score, SCORE!
@  slick shoes : (22 July 2016 - 08:02 PM) The "super team" Knicks? lol
@  thejohnnygold : (22 July 2016 - 06:05 PM) On Josh Smith...my guess is the Knicks eventually sign him.
@  slick shoes : (21 July 2016 - 04:29 PM) The Jet has been released. Josh Smith will likely play for another team next season. Maybe he teams up with Dwight in ATL?
@  slick shoes : (21 July 2016 - 12:17 PM) Harden is now sending hitmen after Rockets legends' sons for badmouthing him on social media *facepalm*
@  slick shoes : (18 July 2016 - 02:22 PM) If you haven't seen the 30 for 30 "The Guru of Go", I recommend it before the upcoming season.
@  Shy Silver : (14 July 2016 - 07:20 PM) Yea I know, but there were reports both sides were willing to have a reunion before Chicago signed him. So at the time, Canaan was an option, and a better one than Pablo at that. We should've capitalized on that one, especially with how well he fits the system for obvious reasons + age on his side.
@  thejohnnygold : (14 July 2016 - 03:43 PM) Canaan signed with Chicago already
@  Shy Silver : (14 July 2016 - 03:24 PM) Don't love the Prigioni move. Thought for sure we had better options like bringing Canaan back or getting someone like Shane Larkin

Photo

Houston, Texas - Free-Agent Destination?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Drew in Abilene

Drew in Abilene

• Moderators
  • 301 posts
  • LocationAbilene

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:34 AM

As we've see in the past few years, marquee Free Agents have spurned Houston in favor of cities like Miami, Los Angeles, and New York. Year after year, signing after signing, the message has been beaten in the Rockets faithful: all things being equal, the best players won't choose Houston.

Biased as I may be, I keep believing that Houston should be one of the more desirable locations for ballers to set down roots. But since that hasn't exactly panned out, I was wondering what y'all thought Houston's best assets and biggest drawbacks are, both on the court and off, in attracting high-quality talent? Also, what could be done in order to help shore up our deficiencies and maximize our strengths?

Maybe we'll never have the draw of the L.A.'s glittering lights or the Knick's Madison Square Garden, but what would it take for big time Free Agents to give us more consideration as a legitimate destination?

#2 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:46 AM

Biggest asset is that we don't have state income taxes. When you're making millions that should be a HUGE attraction.

#3 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,280 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:32 AM

I don't think there is a problem. we have not been able to draw FA's because we didn't have anyone that the top players wanted to play with. that will change with harden. it's harder to get that first star, after that things fall more easily into place. many nba players live here in the off season which mean they understand houston is a great place to live.

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

#4 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

Biggest asset is that we don't have state income taxes. When you're making millions that should be a HUGE attraction.

I wonder how much this plays a role though. I don't recall anyone signing here and citing that as a reason.

#5 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:28 PM

I wonder how much this plays a role though. I don't recall anyone signing here and citing that as a reason.

I can understand it not making much difference put up against LA or NY, because of the sponsorship opportunities that are more plentiful/rewarding but put against OKC, Golden State, Charlotte kinds of cities it should be a huge factor. Of course when mentioning OKC I mean completely other than the fact that they employ the second best player in the world, and are a powerhouse.

#6 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:27 AM

Houston isn't a destination city but its not like Milwaukee, charolette, sacremento etc where the city may actually play a negative role in the decision making process. I think the main reason we haven't gotten top free agents is they usually want to play with other top players and we haven't had one until trading for harden.

#7 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:55 AM

I don't think there is a problem. we have not been able to draw FA's because we didn't have anyone that the top players wanted to play with. that will change with harden. it's harder to get that first star, after that things fall more easily into place. many nba players live here in the off season which mean they understand houston is a great place to live.

Yeah, I'd agree with this. The key is getting players on the Team USA squad - that's where the friendships are developed and the players gain a better respect for each others' games. The seeds of The Decision were planted in 2008, and IIRC there was a period where Carmelo was trying to woo Paul to New York on the basis that they knew each other pretty well (there was some kind of speech at a wedding that caused a minor controversy or something, I think). We have someone on that team now, so hopefully that will raise the profile of the team quite a bit.

ST

#8 Jlin787

Jlin787

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:05 AM

I remember one of the reasons Tracy McGrady wanted to go to Houston was to play with Yao Ming. So having a star caliber player in Harden definitely makes Houston a place to go to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users