Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  08huangj : (01 March 2015 - 02:12 AM) Why is there no reports on Dwight Howard's recovery. Isn't the 4-6 or 6-8 weeks past. Well, it's been more than a month...
@  Losthief : (28 February 2015 - 06:31 AM) gutty win by the good guys tonight, big week coming up needed this! The Basketball Jones!
@  jorgeaam : (28 February 2015 - 03:53 AM) T Jones is a beast
@  Dan G : (28 February 2015 - 03:45 AM) Indeed and we got to 40 wins before 20 losses so Phil Jackson would be pleased.
@  cointurtlemoose : (28 February 2015 - 03:36 AM) TJOOOONNNEEESSSSSSS
@  thejohnnygold : (27 February 2015 - 04:31 PM) @losthief--I know exactly what it is--my ex-wife is English. How about we just don't cuss in the shoutbox, on the front page of an ESPN affiliated site, when we know it's against the rules? It's in the terms of use and it's not a game. If you need to cuss in your posts every other Rockets' forum allows that and all sorts of other behavior--go there to get it out of your system. The editing I do is a courtesy--the reality is warnings and bans are prescribed for violations. Sorry for the harshness, but I want the point to be clear for everyone.

Also, if you don't think UK English is a different language go over there and spend some time talking to folks--and not the posh ones with the stiff upper lips.
@  Losthief : (27 February 2015 - 01:26 AM) to be clear what i used jg was an english word...but i get you, didn't mean it as a curse word...thats urban slangs fault, its a middle english word.
@  cointurtlemoose : (26 February 2015 - 09:37 PM) "James Harden didn't practice today. Coach Kevin McHale told reporters Harden's right ankle was swollen and sore. He got treatment." - via Calvin Watkins
@  YaoMan : (26 February 2015 - 08:08 PM) @ jorgearm, Prigioni played well in his time on the floor. He could prove very helpful for the stretch run
@  YaoMan : (26 February 2015 - 08:07 PM) @ Incubus, give it time. KJ may see some time later but he's too fresh and needs practice with the team and I am still under the impression that this is a trade asset as well
@  YaoMan : (26 February 2015 - 08:06 PM) Does anyone know the condition of the Harden's ankle?
@  Incubus2803 : (26 February 2015 - 06:57 PM) Kj McDaniels was never going to play for this team. Morey saw someone that was shining (presumably) in his defensive metrics, with athleticism bubbling out of him, and trusted that we could teach him to shoot. Remember the part about Smoove not leaving the gym till he sank 200 3s? Yea...
@  thejohnnygold : (26 February 2015 - 05:36 PM) Cursing in another language is still cursing. Sorry. By the way, this is not a game--let's not start that, please.
@  Losthief : (26 February 2015 - 06:08 AM) i kno...my heart can't take the *looks thru thesaurus* agony and the ecstasy of it all (does that work jg?)
@  cointurtlemoose : (26 February 2015 - 03:26 AM) Harden's gotta stop scaring me by having these close calls......
@  jorgeaam : (26 February 2015 - 03:09 AM) I'm still wondering where KJ McDaniels is at
@  jorgeaam : (26 February 2015 - 03:03 AM) Well, it seems Prigioni actually enjoys playing with a real team for a change.
@  jorgeaam : (26 February 2015 - 03:02 AM) Same question I get when I see Tyson Chandler and Dallas
@  Sir Thursday : (26 February 2015 - 02:19 AM) So the question is: why don't the Clippers just throw an alley-oop to Jordan every time? The Rockets only seem to be able to stop it about one time in three...
@  Cooper : (26 February 2015 - 01:58 AM) crawford going off and harden doing nothing. Surprised they're still in the game

Photo

Houston, Texas - Free-Agent Destination?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Drew in Abilene

Drew in Abilene

• Moderators
  • 300 posts
  • LocationAbilene

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:34 AM

As we've see in the past few years, marquee Free Agents have spurned Houston in favor of cities like Miami, Los Angeles, and New York. Year after year, signing after signing, the message has been beaten in the Rockets faithful: all things being equal, the best players won't choose Houston.

Biased as I may be, I keep believing that Houston should be one of the more desirable locations for ballers to set down roots. But since that hasn't exactly panned out, I was wondering what y'all thought Houston's best assets and biggest drawbacks are, both on the court and off, in attracting high-quality talent? Also, what could be done in order to help shore up our deficiencies and maximize our strengths?

Maybe we'll never have the draw of the L.A.'s glittering lights or the Knick's Madison Square Garden, but what would it take for big time Free Agents to give us more consideration as a legitimate destination?

#2 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:46 AM

Biggest asset is that we don't have state income taxes. When you're making millions that should be a HUGE attraction.

#3 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,019 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:32 AM

I don't think there is a problem. we have not been able to draw FA's because we didn't have anyone that the top players wanted to play with. that will change with harden. it's harder to get that first star, after that things fall more easily into place. many nba players live here in the off season which mean they understand houston is a great place to live.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#4 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

Biggest asset is that we don't have state income taxes. When you're making millions that should be a HUGE attraction.

I wonder how much this plays a role though. I don't recall anyone signing here and citing that as a reason.

#5 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:28 PM

I wonder how much this plays a role though. I don't recall anyone signing here and citing that as a reason.

I can understand it not making much difference put up against LA or NY, because of the sponsorship opportunities that are more plentiful/rewarding but put against OKC, Golden State, Charlotte kinds of cities it should be a huge factor. Of course when mentioning OKC I mean completely other than the fact that they employ the second best player in the world, and are a powerhouse.

#6 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:27 AM

Houston isn't a destination city but its not like Milwaukee, charolette, sacremento etc where the city may actually play a negative role in the decision making process. I think the main reason we haven't gotten top free agents is they usually want to play with other top players and we haven't had one until trading for harden.

#7 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:55 AM

I don't think there is a problem. we have not been able to draw FA's because we didn't have anyone that the top players wanted to play with. that will change with harden. it's harder to get that first star, after that things fall more easily into place. many nba players live here in the off season which mean they understand houston is a great place to live.

Yeah, I'd agree with this. The key is getting players on the Team USA squad - that's where the friendships are developed and the players gain a better respect for each others' games. The seeds of The Decision were planted in 2008, and IIRC there was a period where Carmelo was trying to woo Paul to New York on the basis that they knew each other pretty well (there was some kind of speech at a wedding that caused a minor controversy or something, I think). We have someone on that team now, so hopefully that will raise the profile of the team quite a bit.

ST

#8 Jlin787

Jlin787

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:05 AM

I remember one of the reasons Tracy McGrady wanted to go to Houston was to play with Yao Ming. So having a star caliber player in Harden definitely makes Houston a place to go to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users