Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  SadLakerFan : (27 November 2014 - 05:00 AM) Another brutal game from CP. Mavs somehow win despite going 4-31 from three-pt range.
@  jorgeaam : (27 November 2014 - 02:48 AM) So hack-a-Dorsey because Howard is not playing?
@  jorgeaam : (27 November 2014 - 01:30 AM) Hahaha, let's hope they don't
@  Dayak : (27 November 2014 - 01:20 AM) They have to find a way to stop Harden either
@  jorgeaam : (26 November 2014 - 08:24 PM) No Howard or Bev tonight, let's hope we find a way to stop Boogie
@  cointurtlemoose : (25 November 2014 - 03:13 AM) Harden is beasting
@  kdo : (24 November 2014 - 01:19 AM) Sigh...Howard's out...
@  Mario Pena (... : (23 November 2014 - 03:58 AM) Talk about surviving on defense and Harden delivering! Rockets beat the Mavs!
@  jorgeaam : (23 November 2014 - 03:44 AM) Yes! Nice win today
@  jorgeaam : (23 November 2014 - 03:37 AM) It's quite satisfactory to see Harden get an And-One against Parsons
@  jorgeaam : (23 November 2014 - 03:13 AM) Most three-point field-goal attempts, game
49-Dallas vs. New Jersey, March 5, 1996

Houston has 44 so far
@  jorgeaam : (23 November 2014 - 03:12 AM) WOW, 75 combined 3PA so far, NBA record for Most three-point field-goal attempts, both teams, game was 69
@  jorgeaam : (23 November 2014 - 01:51 AM) We're on pace to break the 3pm in a game record, 12 already with 6 min remaining in first half
@  jorgeaam : (23 November 2014 - 01:48 AM) Insane 3 point shooting so far
@  Mario Pena (... : (23 November 2014 - 12:22 AM) Big man down, I repeat the big man is down! http://blog.chron.co...nee/#27967101=0
@  jorgeaam : (21 November 2014 - 10:07 PM) My bad, it's good to learn that, thanks for the input :D
@  Mario Pena (... : (21 November 2014 - 05:26 PM) jorgeaam, it's called self deprecation. It doesn't mean he's ok with people making jokes rather it's a sign of having a sense of humour regarding his defense and hthe hoopla surrounding it. On the court he has clearly shown he is not ok with the ridicule.
@  rocketrick : (21 November 2014 - 03:10 PM) Harden OK with people joking about his D?? Hello---did anyone bother to watch the game the otber night? I guess it's kinda like calling the kettle black at this point, WTF......
@  jorgeaam : (21 November 2014 - 01:25 AM)
@  jorgeaam : (21 November 2014 - 01:25 AM) I don't know if you guys have seen this, but it seems Harden is ok with people joking about his D

Photo

What acquisitions will make the Houston Rockets the team to beat in the West?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 MrZeno1911

MrZeno1911

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

The Houston Rockets are 3 players away from being the team to beat in the West. With J-Lin, Harden, Parsons, and Asik at the core what other pieces should they be surrounded with to become the team to beat?

#2 MrZeno1911

MrZeno1911

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

We have to get that quality forward but we dont need alot of star power. I think we should go after these three players: Al Jefferson, Monta Ellis, and JJ Reddick. After that we should pick up a Delonte West. I think that would make us a complete team. I'm willing to give up Delifino, Aldrich, Douglas, and possibly Patterson in order to obtain these guys. I would prefer to keep patterson and morris. We could start Lin, Harden, Parson, Jefferson, and Asik. We could have Monta Ellis as the sixth man for Harden/Lin. We could replace Delfino with Reddick and have a secondary of Patterson/Morris, Reddick, West, Ellis, and DMO. We would still have Jones and Machado as backups.

#3 sircharles

sircharles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationAustin Tx

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

how on earth are we going to get ellis? and what sense would that make? he plays sg......and would NOT come off the bench.

the last thing we need to a head case like delonte west

#4 RocketMan

RocketMan

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

We need Lamarcus Aldridge and a legit backup PG for starters. Who would you hire to replace Toney Douglas?

#5 RocketMan

RocketMan

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

Another athletic SF to help Parsons would be nice.

#6 MrZeno1911

MrZeno1911

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:42 PM

how on earth are we going to get ellis? and what sense would that make? he plays sg......and would NOT come off the bench.

He plays SG in a PG body, he can still play the one, he'd provide a good back up for Lin/Harden when they're on the bench. A perfect sixth man granted he may not want to come off the bench! I agree Delonte West is a head case but he's a pesky Defender that could provide the bench with some added support.

#7 MrZeno1911

MrZeno1911

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

We need Lamarcus Aldridge and a legit backup PG for starters. Who would you hire to replace Toney Douglas?

I'd go after a veteran PG we have to get more depth in that position or I'd say let's go after Greivis Vasquez, or bring back Aaron Brooks! Lemarcus Aldridge would be good but we might have to overpay him.

#8 MrZeno1911

MrZeno1911

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

Besides we have the money for Ellis, he'd make a great back up 2/1 guard. Every championsip team needs a good bench.

#9 MrZeno1911

MrZeno1911

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:47 PM

Another athletic SF to help Parsons would be nice.

Plus I was hoping that one of our rookie SF would step up to the plate to help Parsons!

#10 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:55 PM

1. An All-Star caliber big man next to Asik (this can also be through D-Mo developing into this player)
2. Consistency from Jeremy Lin
3. A halfway competent backup point guard
4. A backup wing

#11 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:55 PM

Interestingly, I think the Rockets were in talks with Aaron Brooks this summer for some time before he went another way.

#12 MrZeno1911

MrZeno1911

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

1. An All-Star caliber big man next to Asik (this can also be through D-Mo developing into this player)
2. Consistency from Jeremy Lin
3. A halfway competent backup point guard
4. A backup wing

1.Asik and DMO need to work with Olajuwon this offseason for sure
2. Lin has to average 16p and 7a at least.
3. Who will be the next superstar that takes us where we need to be?

#13 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

Here's a question: Since Denver likes to sell high what are the odds they would take our Toronto pick plus a couple of guys like Machado and Delfino for Ty Lawson. Lawson would command the second unit bringing instant offense and control of the squad plus is great injury insurance. How much would you throw at Denver to get him? I don't think we could do better without waaaay over-paying.

I don't think we need a small forward. I don't think there is much quality at center available (at a decent price). That leaves power forward. Call me crazy, but I love the way reggie evans plays. He is the guy every team loves to have and hates to play against. Now, he doesn't score much, but he crushes the glass and his defense is solid. His offensive contribution would be creating more possessions for our other scorers.

Of course I would rather have a stud PF like Love, but that isn't happening anytime soon. I don't want Gasol. No Josh Smith. PPat will get better. DMO will either sink or swim once he gets some playing time. A guy like Evans improves us short term, helps teach the young ones, knows his role, and when a big name comes to town will happily play behind them.

How does that sound?

#14 MrZeno1911

MrZeno1911

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:22 PM

Here's a question: Since Denver likes to sell high what are the odds they would take our Toronto pick plus a couple of guys like Machado and Delfino for Ty Lawson. Lawson would command the second unit bringing instant offense and control of the squad plus is great injury insurance. How much would you throw at Denver to get him? I don't think we could do better without waaaay over-paying.

I don't think we need a small forward. I don't think there is much quality at center available (at a decent price). That leaves power forward. Call me crazy, but I love the way reggie evans plays. He is the guy every team loves to have and hates to play against. Now, he doesn't score much, but he crushes the glass and his defense is solid. His offensive contribution would be creating more possessions for our other scorers.

Of course I would rather have a stud PF like Love, but that isn't happening anytime soon. I don't want Gasol. No Josh Smith. PPat will get better. DMO will either sink or swim once he gets some playing time. A guy like Evans improves us short term, helps teach the young ones, knows his role, and when a big name comes to town will happily play behind them.

How does that sound?

You make sound points, I actually like the Ty Lawson deal. We have the money for a max player, but I think it's better spent in surrounding Asik, Lin, Parsons, and Harden with quality players. I dont really like the Reggie Evans deal though. I really think we need a good PF that can also score. I think DMO could get better but he's a toss up......I really want to see what he does offensively since Asik isnt that good in that area. What are your takes on a veteran that can score and Al Jefferson as a 4 option? OH AND PLEASE HOUSTON DO NO GO AFTER GASOL OR BYNUM.....

#15 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

Mr. Zeno, I dig your enthusiasm, but as far as I can tell Olajuwon has never helped anyone get much better. You can't teach athleticism and instincts like he had. We all love the Dream, but he isn't the answer for those dudes. I say play to their strengths. Maximize the assets they have and add a little where you can.

Lin is coming along. I imagine we will see him dropping about 16-18 pts. and 7-9 assts. by the end of the year. As the players around him improve his opportunities will get better. As far as I can tell, PPat, Parsons, and Morris have all made strides in their offensive game. As defenses are forced to respect their shooting, and their range, the lane will be wide open for Lin and Harden.

I am not in a big hurry to add a "super star". I like what we have and at this point, aside from back-up pg, don't want to fiddle with the roster too much.

#16 MrZeno1911

MrZeno1911

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

Mr. Zeno, I dig your enthusiasm, but as far as I can tell Olajuwon has never helped anyone get much better. You can't teach athleticism and instincts like he had. We all love the Dream, but he isn't the answer for those dudes. I say play to their strengths. Maximize the assets they have and add a little where you can.

Lin is coming along. I imagine we will see him dropping about 16-18 pts. and 7-9 assts. by the end of the year. As the players around him improve his opportunities will get better. As far as I can tell, PPat, Parsons, and Morris have all made strides in their offensive game. As defenses are forced to respect their shooting, and their range, the lane will be wide open for Lin and Harden.

I am not in a big hurry to add a "super star". I like what we have and at this point, aside from back-up pg, don't want to fiddle with the roster too much.

Olajuwon did help lebron james (the summer before he gained a championship) Kobe Bryant, and Dwight Howard just to name a few, develop a post game that was alot more productive. Not saying he can make Asik/DMO all stars but he can help them to add a few moves to their arsenal that will help in the long run. I agree with Lin being 16-18 pts and 7-9 assists. PPat, Parsons, and Morris will be great in the long run. But I still think we are slim in a few important areas.

#17 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:38 PM

Hmmm, Al Jefferson???? No thanks. He's a poor man's Lamarcus Aldridge and I don't want him either. since Asik is already locking down the lane I like an athletic 4 that can fly around and block shots--much like taj gibson did with Asik in chicago. Obviously, Ibaka is off the table. Not sure what it would take to get gibson. I think our offense is fine. We can score, but our scoring margin is paper thin. If we can hold opponents to 4-6 fewer points per game I think we will be in great shape. That comes from defense--rebounds and blocks. Remember how Dennis Rodman, who couldn't hit the side of a barn, was able to elevate teams with defense and rebounding. He allowed great scorers on his team more opportunities to do their thing while inhibiting the scorers on the opposition. Undervalued. There are other examples like Ben Wallace, Otis Thorpe, and Charles Oakley. Anyone around the NBA like that sound good to you?

#18 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:44 PM

Olajuwon did help lebron james (the summer before he gained a championship) Kobe Bryant, and Dwight Howard just to name a few, develop a post game that was alot more productive. Not saying he can make Asik/DMO all stars but he can help them to add a few moves to their arsenal that will help in the long run. I agree with Lin being 16-18 pts and 7-9 assists. PPat, Parsons, and Morris will be great in the long run. But I still think we are slim in a few important areas.

OK, I agree with 2/3 there. I think Howard's offense is unwatchable. Kobe and Lebron are a different breed--they already possessed that which I spoke of--athleticism and instincts. For them, Olajuwon probably could, and did, help. I would rather see someone with incredible fundamentals get a hold of DMO and Asik. Nick Collison comes to mind. I know he is still playing, but that's a guy with average athleticism who stays effective through fundamentals and intelligence. Really, we should just put DMO and Asik in the teleportation machine from "The Fly" so that they come out the other side merged as one bad-ass dude.

#19 MrZeno1911

MrZeno1911

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

Hmmm, Al Jefferson???? No thanks. He's a poor man's Lamarcus Aldridge and I don't want him either. since Asik is already locking down the lane I like an athletic 4 that can fly around and block shots--much like taj gibson did with Asik in chicago. Obviously, Ibaka is off the table. Not sure what it would take to get gibson. I think our offense is fine. We can score, but our scoring margin is paper thin. If we can hold opponents to 4-6 fewer points per game I think we will be in great shape. That comes from defense--rebounds and blocks. Remember how Dennis Rodman, who couldn't hit the side of a barn, was able to elevate teams with defense and rebounding. He allowed great scorers on his team more opportunities to do their thing while inhibiting the scorers on the opposition. Undervalued. There are other examples like Ben Wallace, Otis Thorpe, and Charles Oakley. Anyone around the NBA like that sound good to you?

So if thats the case, then we should just go and grab Kenyon Martin, and Darren Collison!!!

#20 MrZeno1911

MrZeno1911

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:46 PM

OK, I agree with 2/3 there. I think Howard's offense is unwatchable. Kobe and Lebron are a different breed--they already possessed that which I spoke of--athleticism and instincts. For them, Olajuwon probably could, and did, help. I would rather see someone with incredible fundamentals get a hold of DMO and Asik. Nick Collison comes to mind. I know he is still playing, but that's a guy with average athleticism who stays effective through fundamentals and intelligence. Really, we should just put DMO and Asik in the teleportation machine from "The Fly" so that they come out the other side merged as one bad-ass dude.

I agree!!! Let them go ahead and get that rough 2-3 years out of the way so they can come out polished and ready to go!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users