Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  jorgeaam : (27 November 2014 - 01:30 AM) Hahaha, let's hope they don't
@  Dayak : (27 November 2014 - 01:20 AM) They have to find a way to stop Harden either
@  jorgeaam : (26 November 2014 - 08:24 PM) No Howard or Bev tonight, let's hope we find a way to stop Boogie
@  cointurtlemoose : (25 November 2014 - 03:13 AM) Harden is beasting
@  kdo : (24 November 2014 - 01:19 AM) Sigh...Howard's out...
@  Mario Pena (... : (23 November 2014 - 03:58 AM) Talk about surviving on defense and Harden delivering! Rockets beat the Mavs!
@  jorgeaam : (23 November 2014 - 03:44 AM) Yes! Nice win today
@  jorgeaam : (23 November 2014 - 03:37 AM) It's quite satisfactory to see Harden get an And-One against Parsons
@  jorgeaam : (23 November 2014 - 03:13 AM) Most three-point field-goal attempts, game
49-Dallas vs. New Jersey, March 5, 1996

Houston has 44 so far
@  jorgeaam : (23 November 2014 - 03:12 AM) WOW, 75 combined 3PA so far, NBA record for Most three-point field-goal attempts, both teams, game was 69
@  jorgeaam : (23 November 2014 - 01:51 AM) We're on pace to break the 3pm in a game record, 12 already with 6 min remaining in first half
@  jorgeaam : (23 November 2014 - 01:48 AM) Insane 3 point shooting so far
@  Mario Pena (... : (23 November 2014 - 12:22 AM) Big man down, I repeat the big man is down! http://blog.chron.co...nee/#27967101=0
@  jorgeaam : (21 November 2014 - 10:07 PM) My bad, it's good to learn that, thanks for the input :D
@  Mario Pena (... : (21 November 2014 - 05:26 PM) jorgeaam, it's called self deprecation. It doesn't mean he's ok with people making jokes rather it's a sign of having a sense of humour regarding his defense and hthe hoopla surrounding it. On the court he has clearly shown he is not ok with the ridicule.
@  rocketrick : (21 November 2014 - 03:10 PM) Harden OK with people joking about his D?? Hello---did anyone bother to watch the game the otber night? I guess it's kinda like calling the kettle black at this point, WTF......
@  jorgeaam : (21 November 2014 - 01:25 AM)
@  jorgeaam : (21 November 2014 - 01:25 AM) I don't know if you guys have seen this, but it seems Harden is ok with people joking about his D
@  cointurtlemoose : (20 November 2014 - 08:09 AM) But Papa is great. What a dude. I <3 Papa. I need a t-shirt with that on it.
@  cointurtlemoose : (20 November 2014 - 08:03 AM) This was one of those times where our 'late game - small lead' tactics (or lack thereof) makes me want to explode...

Photo

Kevin McHale might want to play some of those young guys.

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

New post: Kevin McHale might want to play some of those young guys.

#2 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

I think the reason Parsons got to play was because he has veteran qualities - so that was an anomaly. He didn't "get a chance" as a rookie to "learn and grow." He didn't need to grow - he played like a veteran.

I fear that the biggest obstacle standing in the way of this rebuilding project is McHale. I'm not sure he's the man for this job.

#3 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

I'm willing to give McHale a few more games before a castigate him for not playing the young guys (and we should not forget that Morris IS a young guy, so it's not a betrayal of the philosophy if he plays ahead of the rookies IMO). It seems to me that he was trying out a small ball lineup with a floor spreading 4 (Morris), and he could afford to do that against the Pistons because they were starting Maxiell in that position, who is undersized enough that Morris stood a chance of defending him. As mentioned in the preview of tonight's game though, the Hawks will be playing Josh Smith at PF, who is a different proposition. Defending him will necessitate a big body, and I think that means McHale will have to call on some actual PFs to have a go.

ST

#4 Chichos

Chichos

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

McHale had an old school disposition where you have to earn your time. It works with some young teams as it places a lot of emphasis on accountability and keeps most of the mistakes on the practice floor away from too much criticism. But at some point you have to let your baby birds out of the nest. If White and Motie are still glued to the bench around game 20 I will be seriously disappointed. Can we keep calling White McHale's draft pick if McHale won't play him?

#5 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

I'm willing to give McHale a few more games before a castigate him for not playing the young guys (and we should not forget that Morris IS a young guy, so it's not a betrayal of the philosophy if he plays ahead of the rookies IMO). It seems to me that he was trying out a small ball lineup with a floor spreading 4 (Morris), and he could afford to do that against the Pistons because they were starting Maxiell in that position, who is undersized enough that Morris stood a chance of defending him. As mentioned in the preview of tonight's game though, the Hawks will be playing Josh Smith at PF, who is a different proposition. Defending him will necessitate a big body, and I think that means McHale will have to call on some actual PFs to have a go.

ST

100% agree. That might be a good plan, to variate the starting PF depending on the rival we are up against. We have lots of PF, but with a great variety of skillsets that could make our team really versatile. Most of the time Patterson will be the starting PF, and he should have been starting at Detroit if he wasn't injured, but in the course of games, we could go big or small, to the paint or the outside depending on the opposite PF. It would be amazing if properly developed

#6 Jeby

Jeby

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:44 AM

It seems to me that McHale's philosophy is not to just give the most minutes to the guys with the most upside. He gives the minutes to the guys who have shown the greatest professionalism and dedication. It is very frustrating to watch as a fan, and may cost the players chances at the All-Rookie team honors that they would get on other teams, but it may be the best long-term development strategy for the Rockets. I don't like it, but I respect it.

#7 Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:23 AM

I felt like I was missing something when I read this post. McHale thus far has played Parsons (2nd year), Patterson (3rd year), Morris (2nd year), and G. Smith (2nd year) at the forward spots. Yes, he plays Delfino as well, but none of the rookies could possibly play back-up shooting guard. I guess he could play Machado for Douglas, but I'm not sure Machado's at all ready. I think McHale's message to the rookies is loud and clear: work hard, do the little things, and your time will come. The rookies can all see that Morris now has his chance after sitting last year.

#8 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

I actually totally support McHale's coaching philosophy. As if he needs it lol. The rookies are not guaranteed anything but a salary. PT must be earned. Morris and Patterson are seeing their minutes increased this year. When and if the rookies start schooling those two in practice, we will see them on the court. Until then the rookies will just have to learn an NBA work ethic. And McHale's approach is fair and open to all to see.

#9 Mario Pena (FSS)

Mario Pena (FSS)

Officer

• Moderators
  • 2,181 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

I pretty much agree with sentiments expressed by Jeby, Johnny Rocket and NorEastern.

Speculation and playing laptop coach is just entertainment for fans that want to be that vested and sure that can be fun for some I am sure. Personally I am of the school of belief where a fan is a fan and a coach is a coach and a GM is a GM (Of course the reporters and analysis guys are the grey area.) and we all play our part. I have no problems with McHale's coaching style (or even someone like Doug Collins) and in fact I am against the type of approach you see in Sacramento where it is just a free for all, that is no way to build a winning culture. I hope the rookies understand they have to build a great work ethic and go above and beyond what is expected so that maybe they have a chance at cracking the rotation midway through the season. There are the games and then there is the other 90% of a player's professional basketball life which we as fans have no clue about. That 90% goes a long way to putting that player in a position to get on the court and have the coaching staffs' trust.

One could debate that perhaps these rookies build habits, regardless of whether they are part of the rotation, in their first season that influence the early part and perhaps the rest of their careers. Facilitating an environment where rookies build good habits are small blocks that go a long way toward building a winning culture.

Not all isolation plays are equal.

#10 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:48 PM

I don't like it, but we should've all expected it after last year. I'll be at the game tonight and really hope to see at least one of the rookies(Jones, White, Motie) get some time. Even if its garbage time the guys need NBA minutes to get anywhere.

#11 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:54 PM

I have said it b4 and I still believe it (kevin mc hale is not a good coach), but on the subject of playing rookies I have to agree. rookies must earn playing time. chill out they will get their chances. the nba season is a marathon not a sprint. over time the cream will rise to the top. I agree with feelingsupersonic. a lot more goes into recieving playing time than what we as fans see.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#12 Chichos

Chichos

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

I think McHale has the ability to be a good coach, has just has the bad luck to follow Jeff van Gundy and Adelman... (can't believe I'm saying JVG was a good coach.) McHale's basketball knowledge is legitimate and he seems to be instilling his "you get what you earn" culture. Now that this team's ceiling is less defined we will find out if he can truly harness the full talent of his personnel.

On a somewhat related note his two press conferences after the Harden trade are the happiest I think I have ever seen him in Houston. Not that it has anything to do with his coaching ability. Just strange to see him not pissed about something.

#13 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:33 AM

Most of the time I agree with the writers of Red94. However I believe that you have overstepped the bounds of available public knowledge and even the whisper pipeline.

McHale is not a head coach sitting alone on the top of a mountain. He has some of the best assistant coaches in the NBA right now in Sal, Finch and Bickerstaff. In fact, he did not even get to choose them, the Rockets organization insisted he retain them.

McHale is also a great organization man, and has seen the insides of NBA teams for 30 years. You can bet that he easily reaches compromises with other people, because I do not believe that the Rockets organization would never have hired him he did not. He agonizes over every loss. He takes it personally. Isn't it much more likely that that stable of rookies is getting schooled in practice by Morris and Patterson? He proved last year with Parsons that if it means more wins, the best player plays. Do you think that if Bickerstaff and Finch walked into his office and told McHale the TJ means 5 wins a year that he would ignore them? To think so is without base and nothing other than pure idle speculation.

#14 tombrokeoff

tombrokeoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:01 AM

well put NorEastern

#15 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:43 AM

I disagree. mchale knows about as much about coaching basketball as tiger woods. some mistake hanging around the nba for years as being good at it. not so. mc hale has FAILED every attempt to be in the front office or coach past teams to anything resembling a decent record. even when the team was in contention last year for a playoff spot he could not make adjustments to stop the spiral of loooooosing that ended the season. he is basicly learning on the fly. he may be a decent big man coach, but that does not equate to being a good all around coach. tell me.......how many years did he have in minny to put something meaningful on the floor? too many that's for sure. I don't trust him with this young team and neither do the rockets. that's why he had the other coaches already in place when he got here. he will be here for a couple more years and we will move on because he will not be able to keep this team playing at peak level. as for NorEastern's point that mc hale is a great organization man........on exactly what previous job did he demonstrate that ability? mc hale is simply the same thing delfino is a temporary stop gap filler until we find your replacement.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#16 tombrokeoff

tombrokeoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:54 AM

ive never supported mchale and i agree with a lot of what youre saying, RBF, but its tough to argue with what NorE pointed out. plus the thing that leaves me hoping for mchale to have some success is the simple fact that Les/Morey believe in him and hired him (unless he was simply a bridge to Finch).

#17 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:58 AM

ive never supported mchale and i agree with a lot of what youre saying, RBF, but its tough to argue with what NorE pointed out. plus the thing that leaves me hoping for mchale to have some success is the simple fact that Les/Morey believe in him and hired him (unless he was simply a bridge to Finch).

don't get me wrong I want him to do well because I love the rockets, but I simply believe he is like you said..... a bridge to finch

#18 sircharles

sircharles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationAustin Tx

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:05 AM

mchale almost got a team to the playoffs that were over achieving all year after not even having a off season with his brand new team. i honestly think he has done a pretty good job for the hand his has been dealt.

#19 Mario Pena (FSS)

Mario Pena (FSS)

Officer

• Moderators
  • 2,181 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

I second what sircharles is saying. I also believe Mchale did a pretty good job last year considering everything that came his way.

Furthermore, I do not believe we are going through a full on rebuilding job here in Houston. The Rockets are doing what they told us, rebuilding on the fly. As much as some Red94 members dream this is not necessarily going to be a youth movement and the next star Morey acquires might not be in his early 20's and may cost the squad some of the rookies. I support it and prefer it to sitting around a few seasons and waiting for high upside players to try and realize their potential. Let's all admit the truth, being a Rockets fan with James Harden here is 10 times better that what this year could have been.

Coaching is not just wins and losses. I am willing to bet due to unfavorable circumstances and bad timing some good coaches have probably never had a chance to develop into successful NBA coaches.

Not all isolation plays are equal.

#20 tombrokeoff

tombrokeoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:09 PM

just curtious - who doesnt put a good portion of the blame for last seasons collapse on mchale? and who hasnt scratched their head a # of times at some of his rotations? lastly, i hope he has success, but who pictures mchale still being the coach once this team really matters?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users