Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  thejohnnygold : (30 May 2019 - 05:42 PM) 3rd best backcourt in the NBA!!!
@  slick shoes : (29 May 2019 - 09:04 PM) im sure hed be great alongside jrue holiday and no one else. 100% iso ball all the time.
@  thejohnnygold : (29 May 2019 - 06:46 PM) Anthony Davis + the #1 pick?
@  slick shoes : (29 May 2019 - 05:39 PM) shopping the entire team including james. what is the point if you trade our best player away? what could we possibly get in return that is equal value of james harden?
@  slick shoes : (11 May 2019 - 02:07 AM) turnovers and missed free throws the theme of the game thus far. throwing away endless points.
@  thejohnnygold : (09 May 2019 - 01:35 PM) I wish we had found a way to steal that game...it was there for the taking.
@  Mario Peña : (01 May 2019 - 04:09 AM) Is it me or does Capela look in over his head? Why is this happening now?
@  Mario Peña : (26 April 2019 - 09:14 PM) Imagine how much it ticks off Beverly, Harrell and Williams.
@  slick shoes : (25 April 2019 - 09:58 PM) Power move by the Rockets. We travel to Oakland ahead of their next game with the assumption that GSW wins. This gives LAC bulletin board material for the game.
@  thejohnnygold : (24 April 2019 - 01:47 PM) We needed to dust off Nene either way...I think that's the way to go.
@  Mario Peña : (23 April 2019 - 09:48 PM) I wonder if kicking the tires on Nene would be beneficial. Some Nene PNR and board crashing in short stints could help against Gobert/Favors.
@  slick shoes : (23 April 2019 - 09:26 PM) Going to have to dig deep tomorrow night with Clint limited. Will be curious to see how the coaching staff adjusts to their new formula. Perhaps driving in to Gobert and getting him in early foul trouble.
@  Mario Peña : (18 April 2019 - 03:41 PM) I agree slick.
@  slick shoes : (17 April 2019 - 01:02 PM) Boogie was their answer to our run in the WCF last year. When we cover all of their shooters they can dump it to Cousins who has a physical advantage over Clint and can also shoot the 3 which pulls him from the rim. They still have Bogut but this takes them back to the W's of last year which our team has shown to match up well against with full strength.
@  Mario Peña : (16 April 2019 - 08:50 PM) I think in a general sense you are correct Johnny. Getting specific to the Rockets though I think we have the personnel to wear Curry down defensively and offensively so for the Rockets could the exit of Cousins be a good thing? To me Cousins also presented a possible matchup wrinkle the Rockets have had to figure out, maybe?
@  thejohnnygold : (16 April 2019 - 04:47 PM) The Cousins injury is very interesting...Not sure if it helps or hurts them. My theory has always been the less Curry shoots the better it is for their opponent. This could lead to more Curry shooting :(
@  redfaithful : (16 April 2019 - 02:59 PM) Is it time to start the discussion which team is more dangerous as the Rockets 2nd round opponent? :D
@  slick shoes : (16 April 2019 - 12:58 PM) Nice win for the Rocke.... Clippers last night. Good to see Bev, Sweet Lou and Trez shining.
@  thejohnnygold : (13 April 2019 - 12:06 AM) I am very much looking forward to the playoffs. I like our chances.
@  thejohnnygold : (13 April 2019 - 12:05 AM) I agree 100%. Still, if that shot rims out...

Photo

Rockets 2018-19 Roster

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#1 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:36 PM

OK, so as of July 20, 2018 the Rockets roster seems much clearer now going forward:

Harden

CP3

E Gordon

Capela (I  know he is still a FA today but this will get done)

PJ Tucker

C Anthony (not a done deal, but very likely IMO)

J Ennis

MCW

Nene

R Anderson

G Green

so that is 11/15 spots and all are very solid NBA players (R Anderson and Nene limited in playoffs)

Hartenstein

Melton

Qi

Qi is already signed going forward. I think it is very likely Hartenstein and Melton will be signed

That leaves 1 more spot.

It is difficult not to see Danuel House in the final spot. If the Rockets don't sign him, House will be on someone's team this season. He is legit.

That leaves the Rockets 2 spots for 2-way players for our G League Vipers team:

Rockets already signed Gary Clark earlier this summer. So 1 spot left.

Most likely Vincent Edwards since the Rockets invested money in purchasing his draft slot from Utah.

Long shot would be Trevon Duval. If something unexpectedly opens up above, Duval is the most logical player moving forward IMO.

Regardless, I would expect Duval and Adel to be on the RGV roster going forward.

So it seems quite likely the Rockets will have to move on from players including C Onuaku, Markel Brown and RJ Hunter. I personally wish each and everyone  of them much success in the NBA going forward. I just don't envision that will be the Rockets moving forward.

So what does everyone else think about the Rockets roster going forward?

#2 Losthief

Losthief

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 521 posts
    • LocationHouston

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:41 AM

Thoughts/Comments:

I still think we make another trade/move for a wing/forward. Maybe not till the deadline tho....so may be moot for this discussion. Also, I think Anderson is gone by the trade deadline if not before (1 1/2 years are cheaper/easier to sell).

C. Onuaku is already signed for this year on a guaranteed deal so I highly doubt he is going anywhere, especially with the luxury tax implications of just eating his salary. (aka is someone worth 2 times value plus their own contract + luxury tax, so 4 times value over him minimum, which is doubtful).

If we are cutting a PF/C its probably Zhou Qi (non-guaranteed deal). But I think we keep all 3 (Onuaku, Qi, and Hartenstein b/c Qi and Hartenstein are 4/5 hybrids anyways and the two losers out (behind capela and nene) will play in the G-league some).

Two way contracts wise hunter was signed for this year as well as last year. So....edwards, clark, and him all have contracts that seem to fit that mold but we can only have two.

If I understand it right, hartenstein had to be offered (the non-gaurenteed deal he was) for us to retain our draft rights to him. But I agree with you I think he does get signed to a nba deal and is on the roster next season.

Im not as in love with house as i guess everyone else is here. He is already 25. For reference so is rodney hood. Is House as good as hood. I'd say no. And no ones beating down clevelands door for hood. That's not to say House isn't worthwhile at the minimum, he would be. But he's not getting huge minutes on this team, and his potential (due to age, etc) is lower than say melton or hartenstein. If he replaces hunter or brown on a two way I'm all in on it, or as the 15th guy with a minimum deal that is great too replacing Iso Joe.

15 roster spots

Harden, CP3, Capela, Tucker, Ennis, MCW, Nene, Carmelo (on a vet min), Green, and Gordon (10-> rotational-type players as of now)

Anderson, Onuaku (2-> guaranteed deals)

Hartenstein, Melton (2-> most likely signings imo)

Zhou Qi (1-> on non-guaranteed deal)

1 spot opens if we cut Qi or offload Anderson or don't get Melo (House, Iso Joe, or FA we chase w/ MLE if we don't need the MLE for Hartenstein, Melton, and/or Carmelo)

Two-Way Contract Candidates (2 spots total)-> in order of likelihood based on nothing but my guess

House (if not given spot above or signed elsewhere)

R. J. Hunter (on a two way that was given two years last year, so one year left....but could be gone as well if needed for Clark/Edwards/House)

Gary Clark (supposedly given two way contract already.....I think it could actually be non-guaranteed exhibit 10 contract based on the money reported, couldn't find any details other than reports that it might be a two-way contract, but I think he gets waived and assigned to RGV)*

Vincent Edwards (waived and to RGV, currently on a exhibit 10 contract)*

Markel Brown (probably gone or RGV we revoked his Qualifying Offer)

Trevon Devual (I think he goes to RGV straight up)

*you may ask why they would sign them to just get waived later, they get 50K for there trouble as a bonus iirc

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#3 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,934 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 02:43 PM

It appears LT and I are just disagreeing on 1 player, likely the 15th roster spot. It very likely will come down to Onuaku and House. LT has a very solid argument as to why the Rockets may lean to Onuaku (because of money invested). Certainly a very valid argument.

I digress primarily because the Rockets in my opinion are still trying to fortify the wing position going forward after losing Ariza and Moute,

I totally agree with LT that the Rockets will continue trying to improve the roster as the season plays on, perhaps particularly at the trade deadline.

After seemingly giving away half our team last summer to bring CP3 to Houston from the Clippers, I am very impressed with the quality of the bottom of our roster with key additions like Melton and Hartenstein amongst others.

Lastly, I would be quite surprised if V Edwards doesn't end up with the 2nd of 2 2-way contracts going forward. Again, it is quite impressive how Morey is able to discover better and more exciting players at the bottom of the roster which is key for continued success well into the future.

#4 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 5,145 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 July 2018 - 04:44 PM

Mark Berman is reporting that Melo is going to take a vet minimum deal ($2.4M) to play in Houston.  I believe this leaves our MLE open.  

Looking around the league, one free agent kind of stands out: Dwyane Wade.

I know he's not near what he was, but he can still give you some minutes, some leadership, and fill in as a starter when needed.

Plus, he is at his best when he can play off of others.

I think that I just want to see us trot out a line-up of Paul, Harden, Gordon, Wade, and Anthony.  That's unreal.  Defensively, it might be a little suspect, but I don't think we'll have much trouble putting up major points to compensate.

The real benefit is we can pretty much always rest two of those guys, replace them with elite defenders, and still have three legit scoring threats on the floor at all times.

We're gonna need that firepower.  I don't know how, but it seems like every year the West gets a little tougher.

Of course, Morey might also choose to sit on that MLE and wait to see what players shake loose throughout the season.

#5 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,934 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 04:51 PM

Unfortunately the Rockets have to spend some of that MLE on the future with players like Hartenstein and Melton. Would DWade jump on board for Veteran's Minimum (separate from MLE?). Or would DWade prefer a couple or three Million Dollars more elsewhere?

Let me say that again, like $2-3 million dollars or more. Honestly, if I was DWade I would gladly join for $2 -$3 million, even at worst, the Washington team and keep the losing streak to the Harlem Globetrotters moving forward. But what do I know?

Even $2 or $3 million is a lot of money is all I can say.

Edited by rocketrick, 23 July 2018 - 04:55 PM.

#6 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
        • PipPipPipPip
        • 891 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 July 2018 - 05:59 PM

Mark Berman is reporting that Melo is going to take a vet minimum deal ($2.4M) to play in Houston.  I believe this leaves our MLE open.  

Looking around the league, one free agent kind of stands out: Dwyane Wade.

I know he's not near what he was, but he can still give you some minutes, some leadership, and fill in as a starter when needed.

Plus, he is at his best when he can play off of others.

I think that I just want to see us trot out a line-up of Paul, Harden, Gordon, Wade, and Anthony.  That's unreal.  Defensively, it might be a little suspect, but I don't think we'll have much trouble putting up major points to compensate.

The real benefit is we can pretty much always rest two of those guys, replace them with elite defenders, and still have three legit scoring threats on the floor at all times.

We're gonna need that firepower.  I don't know how, but it seems like every year the West gets a little tougher.

Of course, Morey might also choose to sit on that MLE and wait to see what players shake loose throughout the season.

NBA-bboat-lede.jpg

Edited by slick shoes, 23 July 2018 - 06:00 PM.

when you win two games in a row that's called a winning streak.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#7 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
        • PipPipPipPip
        • 891 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 31 July 2018 - 04:51 PM

I have heard some rumblings about this trade. Putting Batum at the 3 sounds pretty okay to me.

CP3

Harden

Batum

Tucker

Clint

I wonder if Charlotte would bite? They clearly need to rebuild but with the East opening up after LeBron's departure, they may be able to stay competitive without bottoming out. 

#8 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 5,145 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:35 PM

His health scares me.

#9 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
        • PipPipPipPip
        • 891 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 August 2018 - 12:40 PM

His health scares me.

I agree the elbow is something to consider, but I feel the same way about CP3. He is one wrong turn from a 2-3 month sideline.

Our championship window will only be open for so long. Maybe not Batum, but I still do not feel as though this team gained any ground this offseason and we need to make a splash in the trade market.

I have also heard about us going all in for Kent Bazemore which I would also be comfortable with, but it is a matter of finding a package that ATL will agree to. Our first offering was rebuffed but it sounds like they are willing to work something out. 

#10 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,934 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 12:49 PM

I agree with JG. 

CP3 has clearly been more durable in his career in regards to most NBA players including Batum.

#11 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,934 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 01:07 PM

Sorry,  I meant to say I agree with JG that there are health concerns with Batum. Much younger, by the way, than CP3. 

#12 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
            • 5,145 posts
            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 August 2018 - 05:06 PM

Eh, Baze only excites me for his 3pt shooting.  He is a bit under-sized for our needs defensively.

#13 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
            • PipPipPipPip
            • 891 posts
            • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 August 2018 - 05:38 PM

Eh, Baze only excites me for his 3pt shooting.  He is a bit under-sized for our needs defensively.

The fact that there are teams willing to eat Ryan Anderson's contract is the encouraging thing to me at this point. 

#14 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,934 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 05:43 PM

The fact that there are teams willing to eat Ryan Anderson's contract is the encouraging thing to me at this point. 

We can only hope that is true. Truthfully Ryan Anderson is an above average player, he just doesn't fit with this roster and the Rockets needs at this moment.

#15 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
              • PipPipPipPip
              • 891 posts
              • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 August 2018 - 06:34 PM

We can only hope that is true. Truthfully Ryan Anderson is an above average player, he just doesn't fit with this roster and the Rockets needs at this moment.

I agree. I have never questioned Ryno's talent or abilities, only that his value to the team was less than the contract we signed him to. On another team, he will definitely show his value. I just don't think it's quite the salary he's currently earning. 

#16 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 5,145 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:20 PM

I suppose that's true.

Watch...Morey's gonna bring Chandler Parsons back  :o talk about injury concerns!

#17 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPip
              • 1,934 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:37 PM

Every season is a new start when it comes to the NBA.

2014-2015 Western Conference Finals...... the Rockets should have won at least one, if in fact not both, of the first 2 games on the road. Very narrow losses.

I was sitting Row 4 near mid court and witnessed the disaster of Game 3. It was actually close into early into the second quarter. D12 happened to get ALL of the Warriors bigs in foul trouble (3+ fouls early second quarter).

Then Kerr decided to put Draymond on D12. And Draymond just killed D12 primarily on the perimeter. The Warriors ended up winning by like 30 points and had a 3-0 advantage. That was the game that in my mind ended the D12 experiment here in Houston. 

Anyway, who knows going forward? i like Ryan Anderson matching up with Boogie over D12 chasing Draymond Green on the perimeter. If the Rockets and Warriors have an early season game, it would be interesting to see if D'Antoni sees how the Ryan Anderson/Boogie matchup works in a real game. 

I believe that Boogie slows down the Warriors offense by default. That might possibly work to the Rockets advantage.

The crazy thing is that one or both could very well be traded in February 2019 before the Deadline. If not, that could be an interesting storyline in the 2018-19 playoffs should the Rockets end up matching up with the Warriors. Only time will tell........

#18 Losthief

Losthief

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPipPip
                • 521 posts
                • LocationHouston

Posted 01 August 2018 - 10:51 PM

Well morey dumped Onauku. Opens a spot up. Saves us 3 mil. Could be the midlevel or could be joe johnson back. Either way....that could of been house's spot i guess. Will wait and see what shakes out.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#19 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPip
                • 1,328 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 01:21 AM

Every season is a new start when it comes to the NBA.

2014-2015 Western Conference Finals...... the Rockets should have won at least one, if in fact not both, of the first 2 games on the road. Very narrow losses.

I was sitting Row 4 near mid court and witnessed the disaster of Game 3. It was actually close into early into the second quarter. D12 happened to get ALL of the Warriors bigs in foul trouble (3+ fouls early second quarter).

Then Kerr decided to put Draymond on D12. And Draymond just killed D12 primarily on the perimeter. The Warriors ended up winning by like 30 points and had a 3-0 advantage. That was the game that in my mind ended the D12 experiment here in Houston. 

Anyway, who knows going forward? i like Ryan Anderson matching up with Boogie over D12 chasing Draymond Green on the perimeter. If the Rockets and Warriors have an early season game, it would be interesting to see if D'Antoni sees how the Ryan Anderson/Boogie matchup works in a real game. 

I believe that Boogie slows down the Warriors offense by default. That might possibly work to the Rockets advantage.

The crazy thing is that one or both could very well be traded in February 2019 before the Deadline. If not, that could be an interesting storyline in the 2018-19 playoffs should the Rockets end up matching up with the Warriors. Only time will tell........

Seems like a big mismatch against us, Boogie destroys Anderson in the post and isn't really a rim protector so GS shouldn't mind him standing next to Anderson on D. Capela has to be on the floor when/if Cousins is healthy and back in form. 

#20 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPip
                  • 1,934 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 02:23 PM

Seems like a big mismatch against us, Boogie destroys Anderson in the post and isn't really a rim protector so GS shouldn't mind him standing next to Anderson on D. Capela has to be on the floor when/if Cousins is healthy and back in form. 

On paper Boogie destroys Ryan Anderson. In reality, if the Warriors are slowing things down to post up Cousins, who knows? 

Also, by next Spring who is guarding Boogie other than Capela? Ryan Anderson could be long gone by then. The Rockets are still targeting 1 more Wing from various reports. They chose not to sign House and sent Nanu to Dallas who immediately then waived him.

Maybe it is a pre season move by the Rockets for that all important Wing position to replace Ariza and Moute. Or this could last well into the season into the Trade Deadline 2019 for the right fit. Personally, I trust Morey going forward

Worst case, if in April Golden State chooses to play the post up game with Cousins when matching up with Houston, I will gladly take our chances.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users