Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  thejohnnygold : (24 July 2019 - 04:30 PM) The McLemore/Bennett pick-n-roll will be unstoppable :)
@  slick shoes : (23 July 2019 - 03:04 PM) McLemore is an interesting add. Apparently we are gathering all of the first round flops of the past few years
@  Mario Peña : (12 July 2019 - 03:06 AM) WHOA.
@  slick shoes : (08 July 2019 - 09:16 PM) I would have to assume that to bring in Russ we'd have to ship out CP. I don't see it working any other way.
@  thejohnnygold : (08 July 2019 - 08:45 PM) The money makes it virtually impossible...I wouldn't worry. I have to admit I find the idea of having Paul, Harden, and Westbrook on the floor together intriguing.
@  slick shoes : (08 July 2019 - 02:51 PM) im going to go ahead and pass on any westbrook to houston deals. iso hell.
@  slick shoes : (30 June 2019 - 11:43 PM) trevor ariza has absolutely zero interest in returning to houston lol
@  slick shoes : (28 June 2019 - 08:16 PM) Id rather lose EG or Clint than PJ and ONLY if were getting Jimmy. Sounds like we have a trade partner for Clint if Jimmy isnt using us for leverage for his 5 year max offer.
@  thejohnnygold : (26 June 2019 - 11:33 PM) Do y'all think if we all tweet at Morey to NOT trade PJ he'd listen?
@  slick shoes : (21 June 2019 - 01:20 AM) ....and the new uniforms are trash.
@  thejohnnygold : (15 June 2019 - 02:05 PM) Agreed. Although, the injury narrative will probably keep them chirping.
@  slick shoes : (14 June 2019 - 02:40 PM) SO glad all of the Warriors fanboys can crawl back into their respective holes for an entire year. Good for Toronto/Canada as well.
@  thejohnnygold : (05 June 2019 - 07:33 PM) I think so.
@  slick shoes : (04 June 2019 - 07:20 PM) Dame and CJ #2 I assume?
@  thejohnnygold : (30 May 2019 - 05:42 PM) 3rd best backcourt in the NBA!!!
@  slick shoes : (29 May 2019 - 09:04 PM) im sure hed be great alongside jrue holiday and no one else. 100% iso ball all the time.
@  thejohnnygold : (29 May 2019 - 06:46 PM) Anthony Davis + the #1 pick?
@  slick shoes : (29 May 2019 - 05:39 PM) shopping the entire team including james. what is the point if you trade our best player away? what could we possibly get in return that is equal value of james harden?
@  slick shoes : (11 May 2019 - 02:07 AM) turnovers and missed free throws the theme of the game thus far. throwing away endless points.
@  thejohnnygold : (09 May 2019 - 01:35 PM) I wish we had found a way to steal that game...it was there for the taking.

Photo

Rockets 2018-19 Roster

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#41 Losthief

Losthief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 31 August 2018 - 06:05 AM

This will sound weird for a 65 win team but I'm very fascinated by how the 4th guard spot will play out.

well...I wouldn't of guessed the result...but brandon knight is more of a sure thing. I don't even feel that bad about giving up melton. Knight will more than match what melton could do on the court over the next two years. And...well window wise I get the move. Here's hoping he's fully recovered from the acl injury.

Not impressed with Chriss from what I've seen. But 21 years old and rookie deal is easy enough to move in other business. For that matter knight's 15 mil is easier as well.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#42 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,157 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 August 2018 - 01:56 PM

Is it weird that this trade has me more excited for Phoenix than us?

The Melton/Booker backcourt may wind up being amazing.

Maybe Travis Knight will play better now that he's on a team where winning actually matters.  I hope so.

Marquese Chriss is so lazy that Derrick Coleman thinks he is squandering his talent.  I'm pretty sure I only know his name because of Fantasy Basketball.

Yup, that about sums up my feelings on all of this.

#43 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 31 August 2018 - 03:27 PM

Maybe Travis Knight will play better now that he's on a team where winning actually matters.  I hope so.

Marquese Chriss is so lazy that Derrick Coleman thinks he is squandering his talent.  I'm pretty sure I only know his name because of Fantasy Basketball.

Yup, that about sums up my feelings on all of this.

I have to believe this is a move made to create future flexibility. The alley to the future oop, if you will. 

when you win two games in a row that's called a winning streak.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#44 Losthief

Losthief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 31 August 2018 - 06:28 PM

Long-term I see your excitement too. No doubt PHO won this deal probably in that regard. Two good combo guards for the future looks bright if Melton pans out. But then....were not playing to be good in 4-5 years like PHO. We got 2, maybe 3 years before CP3 is an albatross type contract. Don't really think melton was gonna be ready in 2 years to contribute at the level we'll need. Could be wrong, but players like Mitchell are the exception not the rule.

Knight is a huge upgrade over MCW at the backup PG if we keep him  (Also now I think we see MCW as a defensive wing more often (6'6 with a 6'7 wingspan), he's always been a positive Def WS guy). And Knight is only 26 which means he should bounce back from the acl at least to the extent of being effective. Add in move-ability of either Chriss or Knight is much higher than Ryno was.

so:

PG: CP3/Knight

SG: Harden/Gordon

SF: Ennis/MCW/Green

PF: Tucker/Melo/Chriss (Chirss shot 35 % from corners as a rookie and 32 overall)

C:  Capela/Nene/Hartenstein/Chriss

Obviously Tucker and Melo might play 3-5 depending on matchup. And 1/2 switchable as are 3/4 for Rockets.

LoSTHieF

#45 redfaithful

redfaithful

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:38 PM

Any thoughts on this idea? https://www.givemesp...oon-be-resolved

#46 redfaithful

redfaithful

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:40 PM

That's no happening... https://t.co/yLAZsGNAZ1

#47 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,157 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 September 2018 - 11:05 PM

That's no happening... https://t.co/yLAZsGNAZ1

I don't know...there is a reason Deng has been MIA for years now.  

#48 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,157 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 September 2018 - 05:47 PM

I never thought the "roster" thread would include a coach, but here we are.  I have to say I am pretty bummed about losing Bzdelik.  I don't often feel as if I really see the effect most coaches have on the game, but with Jeff his value was very apparent.  I can only take solace that we have video to look back on and the players should be able to remember what he taught.

My biggest concern is that whoever we bring in to replace him will have an ego on him and ignore what Jeff made so plainly obvious.  It appears Matt Brase will take a large part of that role.  I guess we'll see how things are going to be soon enough...

#49 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 September 2018 - 07:35 PM

I never thought the "roster" thread would include a coach, but here we are.  I have to say I am pretty bummed about losing Bzdelik.  I don't often feel as if I really see the effect most coaches have on the game, but with Jeff his value was very apparent.  I can only take solace that we have video to look back on and the players should be able to remember what he taught.

My biggest concern is that whoever we bring in to replace him will have an ego on him and ignore what Jeff made so plainly obvious.  It appears Matt Brase will take a large part of that role.  I guess we'll see how things are going to be soon enough...

The thing about this that concerns me most is how close to the beginning of the season it is. Is this health-related or a disagreement about philosophy? We could have had all summer to scout and interview potential replacements and now we are about a month away from opening night and are starting from scratch. I am sure that whoever they hire will be a strong candidate, but we will need some defensive wizardry if we are to topple the W's this year. 

#50 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,157 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 September 2018 - 11:46 PM

The thing about this that concerns me most is how close to the beginning of the season it is. Is this health-related or a disagreement about philosophy? We could have had all summer to scout and interview potential replacements and now we are about a month away from opening night and are starting from scratch. I am sure that whoever they hire will be a strong candidate, but we will need some defensive wizardry if we are to topple the W's this year. 

All reports are that he just wanted to spend time with his family.  I get it.  It sucks for us a little, but good for him.

With any luck, D'Antoni brings him in to "consult" once the playoffs roll around.

#51 Losthief

Losthief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 20 September 2018 - 06:50 AM

yeah I get it too. I think he was in his mid 60s. That is normal retirement age, and nba travel is not exactly easy.

LoSTHieF

#52 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,157 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 September 2018 - 09:03 PM

I would just like to go on record saying I prefer Gordon to Butler and I hope this talk about us making that trade is just that--talk.

#53 Losthief

Losthief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 24 September 2018 - 11:01 PM

I'm okay with it personally.

same age. relatively same health (issues). mid to high 60s games played.

Butler is better than gordon.

We lose 1 year contract wise, gordon has two years left versus butler will almost certainly opt out.

That being said...I'd be sad to see E.G. gone. He'e one of my favs to watch.

But the main reason. Do to position logjam (or maybe gordon's health?) Butler will just get to play more than Gordon. Gordon played 31min/32min regular/playoffs respectively the last two years (so even b4 CP3). Butler gives you 36/37 min regular season and 40 in the playoffs.

That means even if they played equal, which to be clear....its not even close how much better Butler is objectively on both sides of the ball (Value over replacement, box score plus minus, ws/48 is literally double). I mean even in long range shooting, what you think Gordon would be better....he's really not after all....

gordon 3p last two years 37.2 and 35.9 percent. Butler 36.7 and 35.0 percent.

Corner 3s gordon 37.2 and 45.9 Butler 55.3 and 43.9.

So even if they played equal effectiveness....which is not likely.....based purely on minutes Butler is 116% of Gordon in regular season and a huge 125 percent in the playoffs. Add in the better play from Butler and your looking at probably someone at least half again (150% more) effective in the playoffs minimum and by some numbers twice as effective.

Edited by Losthief, 24 September 2018 - 11:06 PM.

LoSTHieF

#54 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,157 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 September 2018 - 02:52 PM

You make a compelling case.

Butler definitely gives us a switch-anything type of player and I didn't realize the 3 pt. shooting was that close.  I don't know....I guess I'm just attached to Gordon.  I like watching him play.

Right now, Minny's got their heels dug in so who knows where he winds up!

#55 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 September 2018 - 03:53 PM

You make a compelling case.

Butler definitely gives us a switch-anything type of player and I didn't realize the 3 pt. shooting was that close.  I don't know....I guess I'm just attached to Gordon.  I like watching him play.

Right now, Minny's got their heels dug in so who knows where he winds up!

You guys know I've been aboard the Butler to Houston train for a while now. While I would love to have him, I don't want to send a lot of stuff their way for a one-year rental. I realize that our window is open now and we have to take advantage of that, but I am just wary of what that will mean for our team in 3-4 years. 

#56 Losthief

Losthief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 28 September 2018 - 07:09 PM

I don't know....I guess I'm just attached to Gordon.  I like watching him play.

i know. Im attached to him like i used to be to sam cassell. It hurt to see him go. And it would suck to lose Gordon. I do it to be clear....but in that sad had to do it way.

@slick shoes: I agree, I heard about it being tucker, gorden, qi, and pick. I could care less about qi and pick (window). But tucker and gordon would be real tough. One or the other is a no brainier to me, but both would really mean one year all in and would negate the above points of minutes played (in fact reverse it).

Edited by Losthief, 28 September 2018 - 07:10 PM.

LoSTHieF

#57 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,157 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 September 2018 - 09:08 PM

Word out of camp is Ennis is killing it and may have been a FA steal for us.

With that in mind, let's look at the impact Gordon and Tucker have for us since that is likely what it would take.

Glancing at our top 5-man line ups (net points) from last season (from basketball-reference, of course) both Gordon and Tucker are in the top 3.  In fact, both Gordon and Tucker are in 7 of the top ten of our best line ups.  For reference, Ariza only made 5 of the top 10 line ups.

When looking at eFG%, both Gordon and Tucker made 6 of the top 10 line ups.

Moving all the way down to 2-man line ups gets interesting.

dwp9v5p.jpgCheck that out!  The top 7 is all about Gordon/Tucker except for the Moute-Harden pairing.

Now, this is not to say Butler doesn't improve us, but I think it should be noted exactly what we're putting on the table here.  In fact, I think it is interesting that our "star trio" don't slot in until # 8 and #9.

In the playoffs, our top 3 5-man units all had Gordon and Tucker.  If you whittle it down to 3 and 2 man pairings Gordon drops off, but Tucker dominates.  Is Jimmy Butler gonna get in there and do the things that Tucker does for us?  I don't think so.

Not only do those two improve our net points, but they help us to dominate the glass as well--on both ends of the floor.  I put rebounding at a premium--particularly in light of how Morey strategizes the game.  If we're playing percentages then the more shots we take the more points we'll score--plain and simple.  Conversely, the less shots our opponents take--the less they will score.  Math!

The problem is trying to squeeze all these numbers into actual game play.  No one is arguing Gordon nor Tucker are better than Butler.  However, all things considered they might be better for this team.

In order for us to best utilize Butler it means taking the ball out of Harden and Paul's hands.  If I'm picking a spot up shooter, even after looking at the numbers, I'm taking Gordon all day.  If I need defense to lock down an opponent I'm taking Tucker all day even though Butler isn't bad either.

What do I know?  Maybe Butler comes here, doesn't have to play alpha dog and can lock back into his crazy-good defense from a couple years ago, spot up from the corners, rebound, and basically play the Ariza role with better athleticism.  Maybe he and Melo can dominate second units while Harden and CP3 rest.  It's too bad we can't take a test drive first  :lol:

Of course, if the rumors are true and Morey is working hard to get a deal done then maybe I'm wrong and I'm over-valuing such things.

#58 Losthief

Losthief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 01 October 2018 - 01:32 AM

I don't see how we could rationalize doing both Tucker and Gordon. Gordon and Nene seem like the starting point for any deal that would make sense for us.

Then its about additional assets. Obviously one pick at least (1st rounder next year probably). Then Zhou, Harenstein? Gentile's Rights, a combo of them. Llull (joking haha).

Minny wants vets/assets/young player

vets=gordon and nene (thibs loves them early 2010s stars and nene would be great mentor for KAT).

assets=the pick/gentile rights

young=Zhou or Harenstein

I mean...something along those lines. If we don't include Zhou, then we basically snap the cap back to pre-anderson trade levels (doable probably). And Tilman gets a year closer to dropping below the repeater tax (unless we re-sign butler which you'd have to imagine he see as worth it if we won).

edit: if we are using sac, which i've heard rumors about

Maybe:

Minny gets to drop Gorgei Deing (sp?) which they want to Minny. Minny sends back Iman Shumpert to Minny.

We send Nene to SAC plus the 1st.

Minny gets Gentile's rights or Zhou/Harenstein and massive cap relief (deing is 3 years 15 mil, iman is 1 year 11 mil). Which they said they are interested in. Plus minny gets two vets in gordon and shumpert who can play immediately.

SAC uses its cap space to swipe our 1st. Maybe a 2nd from Minny or us?

Edited by Losthief, 01 October 2018 - 01:41 AM.

LoSTHieF

#59 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,157 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 04 October 2018 - 08:44 PM

I'm starting to get pretty excited about this team.  I'm even letting myself get on board the Melo train.  I look up and down the roster at the moves we've made and the pieces we added and I start thinking we're gonna do it...this is the year...and then I remember that Golden State added Demarcus Cousins who is now the 3rd (possibly 4th) best player on his team.  :o  Achilles or not, that is a pretty big upgrade from what they've been running out at center.

I suppose having him might be a good thing if he's taking shots away from Durant, Curry, and Thompson  B)  

I'll say this--if we do square off against them again this year it's going to be epic.  We're talking at least 7 future hall of famers (8 if you count Draymond) going at it.  That's awesome!

#60 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 05 October 2018 - 03:39 PM

I am trying to sort out what our starting lineup should be along with our second unit. I was discussing with a potential lineup of Paul, Harden, Ennis, Tucker, Capela with Melo and Gordon coming off the bench to torch other teams' second units. I am also interested to see how those minutes are staggered because CP3 and Melo clearly have chemistry. I may be wrong but I feel like Harden on the floor with Melo bogs down our offense a bit. 

Alternate theories? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users