Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  thejohnnygold : (24 July 2019 - 04:30 PM) The McLemore/Bennett pick-n-roll will be unstoppable :)
@  slick shoes : (23 July 2019 - 03:04 PM) McLemore is an interesting add. Apparently we are gathering all of the first round flops of the past few years
@  Mario Peña : (12 July 2019 - 03:06 AM) WHOA.
@  slick shoes : (08 July 2019 - 09:16 PM) I would have to assume that to bring in Russ we'd have to ship out CP. I don't see it working any other way.
@  thejohnnygold : (08 July 2019 - 08:45 PM) The money makes it virtually impossible...I wouldn't worry. I have to admit I find the idea of having Paul, Harden, and Westbrook on the floor together intriguing.
@  slick shoes : (08 July 2019 - 02:51 PM) im going to go ahead and pass on any westbrook to houston deals. iso hell.
@  slick shoes : (30 June 2019 - 11:43 PM) trevor ariza has absolutely zero interest in returning to houston lol
@  slick shoes : (28 June 2019 - 08:16 PM) Id rather lose EG or Clint than PJ and ONLY if were getting Jimmy. Sounds like we have a trade partner for Clint if Jimmy isnt using us for leverage for his 5 year max offer.
@  thejohnnygold : (26 June 2019 - 11:33 PM) Do y'all think if we all tweet at Morey to NOT trade PJ he'd listen?
@  slick shoes : (21 June 2019 - 01:20 AM) ....and the new uniforms are trash.
@  thejohnnygold : (15 June 2019 - 02:05 PM) Agreed. Although, the injury narrative will probably keep them chirping.
@  slick shoes : (14 June 2019 - 02:40 PM) SO glad all of the Warriors fanboys can crawl back into their respective holes for an entire year. Good for Toronto/Canada as well.
@  thejohnnygold : (05 June 2019 - 07:33 PM) I think so.
@  slick shoes : (04 June 2019 - 07:20 PM) Dame and CJ #2 I assume?
@  thejohnnygold : (30 May 2019 - 05:42 PM) 3rd best backcourt in the NBA!!!
@  slick shoes : (29 May 2019 - 09:04 PM) im sure hed be great alongside jrue holiday and no one else. 100% iso ball all the time.
@  thejohnnygold : (29 May 2019 - 06:46 PM) Anthony Davis + the #1 pick?
@  slick shoes : (29 May 2019 - 05:39 PM) shopping the entire team including james. what is the point if you trade our best player away? what could we possibly get in return that is equal value of james harden?
@  slick shoes : (11 May 2019 - 02:07 AM) turnovers and missed free throws the theme of the game thus far. throwing away endless points.
@  thejohnnygold : (09 May 2019 - 01:35 PM) I wish we had found a way to steal that game...it was there for the taking.

Photo

Rockets 2018-19 Roster

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#21 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,157 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:45 PM

I'm fairly happy with our newest signing, Rob Gray.  He's talented and gutsy.  If, somehow, someone is not familiar with him check out this quick video.

I doubt he's anywhere except RGV for us next year, but if nothing else he will push others around him to be better because It seems like he's that sort of competitor.

Now we just need to see what happens with these Miami rumors.  If we wait until Dec. 15th, an Ellington/James Johnson combo becomes an option.  I think Morey would give up an asset or two for that.

#22 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 August 2018 - 05:50 PM

I'm fairly happy with our newest signing, Rob Gray.  He's talented and gutsy.  If, somehow, someone is not familiar with him check out this quick video.

I doubt he's anywhere except RGV for us next year, but if nothing else he will push others around him to be better because It seems like he's that sort of competitor.

I second this. I attend U of H so seeing him get picked up (and by my team nonetheless) is great. He had a few late-game blunders when the game was on the line in last year's tourney, but he's also still young. I doubt he will ever start, but a nice player nonetheless.

when you win two games in a row that's called a winning streak.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#23 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 August 2018 - 05:54 PM

https://www.instagra...m/p/BmMUto9AZAE

#24 DenverRocket

DenverRocket

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:25 AM

I second this. I attend U of H so seeing him get picked up (and by my team nonetheless) is great. He had a few late-game blunders when the game was on the line in last year's tourney, but he's also still young. I doubt he will ever start, but a nice player nonetheless.

I'm a Coog too, so delighted for him. I drove to Wichita for the tournament last Spring and watched those games - he was awesome. Agree with JG, he will go down to RGV and compete like hell. Happy to have him on the Rockets.

"I could never understand national or ethnic pride, 'cos to me pride should be preserved for something you achieve or attain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth!" - George Carlin.

#25 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 04:01 PM

As a Cougar for life literally and figuratively, I am all in on the Rockets signing Rob Gray to a contract. At best, he is playing for RGV going forward. Unfortunately, I just don't believe he has the size nor the quickness to be a difference maker in the NBA. Still, good for Rob Gray and I only wish him the very best gong forward!

Unfortunately, recent news is Miami has 0, nada, dinero, et al interest in Ryan Anderson going forward. So a trade going forward is very, very very unlikely IMO.

What is shocking is the really low cost for Cleveland going forward to retain Rodney Hood.

Only if the Rockets had more salary cap room..............oh well..............

Now we just need to see what happens with these Miami rumors.  If we wait until Dec. 15th, an Ellington/James Johnson combo becomes an option.  I think Morey would give up an asset or two for that.

#26 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,157 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 August 2018 - 04:04 PM

How does everyone feel about Bruno Caboclo?

There really isn't much to glean from his 35 career games' stats.

Outside of a crazy NBA body, does anyone know what this guy brings to the table?

#27 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:10 PM

If memory serves, Bruno is the dude back a few years ago that was "2 years away from being 2 years away before becoming the next KD"

I am clueless what has happened since. However, I am quite certain since I never heard about him or watched him play any meaningful games the past couple of years that he is still..........you guessed it, 2 years away!

I am happy with the signing. The Rockets can have up to 20 players in camp for pre-season which is just around the corner. Let's see what he possibly can add going forward. Worst case, I would expect Bruno will be on the RGV roster going forward for the time being as I expect Rob Gray to be. Both are athletic players who could eventually find their way on a NBA roster (the Rockets only control the 2 players they sign to 2-way contracts).

So, it seems quite clear that the Rockets and Morey are still on the hunt for a proven 3-4 swing player going into the regular season is my best guess at this moment. Plenty of time before the Trade Deadline. In Morey I Trust. No rush in my opinion at this time, let's just let things play out for awhile seems like the best strategy.......

How does everyone feel about Bruno Caboclo?

There really isn't much to glean from his 35 career games' stats.

Outside of a crazy NBA body, does anyone know what this guy brings to the table?

Edited by rocketrick, 22 August 2018 - 05:16 PM.

#28 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,157 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 August 2018 - 06:01 PM

Yeah, Caboclo might just be Capela-Lite.

I'm more excited about Zhou.  I know it's just the Philipines, but he looks really good in these highlights.

#29 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 03:12 AM

I’m pretty convinced that De’Anthony Melton cracks this rotation.

#30 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,157 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 August 2018 - 01:40 PM

I’m pretty convinced that De’Anthony Melton cracks this rotation.

Hard to argue against you.  Michael Carter-Williams and Markel Brown are all that stand in his way...them, and D'Antoni giving him a chance to pull a Donovan Mitchell/Jayson Tatum for us.  Why not let him show what he can do playing against the second unit of lesser teams and then work up from there?

#31 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:06 AM

This will sound weird for a 65 win team but I'm very fascinated by how the 4th guard spot will play out.

#32 redfaithful

redfaithful

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:47 PM

This will sound weird for a 65 win team but I'm very fascinated by how the 4th guard spot will play out.

The 65 win team lost in a playoff series in which it had a rotation of 7 players. Any player that can stay on the court against GSW should get a fair chance to be there when it matters.

#33 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,157 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:50 PM

Actually, it doesn't sound weird at all.  We know where we are set.  In particular, Harden, Paul, and Gordon are locked into the guard rotation.  Bobby Brown is gone (YES!!!)  which means there is an open spot and we just drafted (potentially) the next James Harden.

There are only 2 things you can find that people count as negatives against Melton: his size and his shooting.

At 6' 4" his size is fine.  He's got good reach and great athleticism combined with a good b-ball IQ.  Plenty have done more with less.

His shooting is the only question mark and it appears that will not be an issue.

People rave about his great first step, ability to create and absorb contact at the rim, willing passer and an accurate passer, great rebounding, can play either guard spot...heck, they're even from the same city (if you can count opposite sides of LA as the same city).  It all adds up to Right-Handed-James-Harden.

It's difficult not to get excited about that.

Michael Carter-Williams?  Please.  Might was well bring Corey Brewer back.  He's a mid-range chucker who doesn't realize he's shooting 23% from 3 ft. out to the 3 pt. line.  How is this guy in the NBA?

It's not clear if Gerald Green will get some of those 2-guard minutes or possibly James Ennis.  We know what we've got in every other player (more or less).  D'Antoni has to let Melton get out there just in case he is ready and he's the missing piece that catapults us over the rest of the NBA.

In other news, I was watching some recent Caboclo highlights and wound up being less excited about him when I was done.  That's not good.  Perhaps taking on a more passive role here will allow his talent to flourish more, but I think there is a reason Morey found him on the NBA scrap heap.

#34 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
  • 2,442 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:52 PM

I am interested in the other part of that equation as well. How will coach as well as James and CP work to limit their minutes to rest but also to make time for player development? Will James play less fourth quarters, give up those 6 points and let Melton or Brown turn into to something within the bench support that’s worth something for the post season?

#35 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 02:33 AM

On that point, what I don't want to see again this year is Harden and Paul out there in the 4th quarter of blowouts. 

#36 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
  • 2,442 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 29 August 2018 - 04:02 AM

Agreed, and if it’s past Christmas and James is out their step back three’ing Phoenix so he can get 40 points in the fourth quarter I’ll know he’s still a year a way from leading a team (trusting the others to finish the fourth) past Golden State.

#37 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 29 August 2018 - 12:16 PM

On that point, what I don't want to see again this year is Harden and Paul out there in the 4th quarter of blowouts. 

I think now that James has his MVP trophy he will start to look to the postseason in those moments. A part of why GSW are so good is that they are usually resting their stars in the 4th because of their 3rd quarter attack. I feel the same about CP and his WCF injury. Now more than ever he knows that his window is closing so he must save his body for when we need his presence the most. 

#38 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,157 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 29 August 2018 - 11:21 PM

We can leave Melo out there and he can go ISO to his heart's content  B)

#39 redfaithful

redfaithful

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 30 August 2018 - 03:44 PM

Any thoughts on this idea? https://www.givemesp...oon-be-resolved

#40 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 30 August 2018 - 05:29 PM

Any thoughts on this idea? https://www.givemesp...oon-be-resolved

Interesting angle, but I'll pass. I have to believe there will be a nice SF on a non-contender around the trade deadline that will be pining to join up with us right before the playoffs. Maybe Jimmy B finally calls it quits on Minny? I know about the NYK rumors but how could he pass up sliding into our starting 3 spot and putting us right back in the conversation with the Warriors? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users