Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

Goran Dragic vs. Jeremy Lin: Did the Houston Rockets pick the wrong guy?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

New post: Goran Dragic vs. Jeremy Lin: Did the Houston Rockets pick the wrong guy?

#2 tombrokeoff

tombrokeoff

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 594 posts
    • LocationHouston

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

losing dragic was the move i was most upset about in the offseason as i have expressed on here a number of times. i was happy they landed lin after losing goran, but would have always preferred goran.

#3 Mel

Mel

• Members
    • Pip
    • 1 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

I never viewed the decision to sign Jeremy Lin as one about getting the best point guard available. Both Lowry and Dragic > Lin. I just figured that Morey didn't see any point in signing Dragic to a long term contract (and inhibit any cap/spending flexibility) when the team won't be relevant for the next couple of years. Lin is serviceable, but I saw signing him as a move to bring some excitement to the fan base. But guessing by the low turnout at the Toyota Center, it's not working.

#4 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 338 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

Good question.
        The ultimate answer is what is Lin's ceiling going to be.
        Because Goran has pretty much reached his-and it's that of solid starting PG.
        But the real Goran isn't exactly the dead-eye shooter the theoretical Goran is. He shot .337 last yr from 3 and he's shooting .340 this yr.(Weird how our perceptions go,Parsons shot the same % from 3pt land last yr as Dragic,yet Parsons was considered a bad 3pt shooter while Dragic was considered a good one.)

As Lin learns to play more under control,he looks to be a better pure PG,whose shot will come and go. In the long run,better for the Rockets as they integrate Harden into a team offense instead of having Harden being the offense.

As to the decision,one over other...
        W/Dragic,the Rockets would have been committed to him for four yrs,for better or for worse.
        W/Lin,the team is realistically committed for two yrs. After all,the team can stretch buy-out Lin's last yr and take a Cap hit of just $2.6mil/yr for three yrs.
        And Lin allowed Les to agree to a rebuild,which paid off in not giving away everything for Howard or Bynum,which in turn allowed the Harden trade.

#5 Zero Zero

Zero Zero

• Members
        • Pip
        • 6 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

I only saw the title and don't even have to read the rest of the article. The answer is: absolutely!

#6 Chichos

Chichos

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 216 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

Goran is probably going to be the better PG this year. Lin gives you a lot of other stuff, but Goran's ability to hit spot up threes makes him more valuable at the moment. Having said that, if Lin can get to the mid .300s on his threes and develop a floater I have to agree his ceiling is higher. He rebounds, plays passing lanes, and is a willing passer. Those are all great traits in a point guard, but until he can shoot he is just Rafer Alston 2.0.

#7 clive

clive

• Members
            • Pip
            • 1 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

Is there anyone can help to trade JLin out. This will help a lot Jlin's fans out
              Thanks in advanced.

#8 SamC

SamC

Rookie

• Members
              • PipPip
              • 50 posts
              • LocationConnecticut

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

No team would take on Lin's contract after what we've seen thus far so a trade is out of the question. Houston showed a lot of faith in Lin and now it's time for him to step up his game. I'm a huge Lin fan so I get annoyed when Sampson takes him out of the game but I don't blame Sampson because PT is based on performance. Lin has to improve his shooting % and play better defense or Sampson is going to keep riding Douglas.

#9 ObstructTheLore

ObstructTheLore

• Members
              • Pip
              • 9 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:56 PM

I dont think its even close to how much better Dragic is than Lin but its hard to complain too much because Morey would have had to look into the future to see the Harden trade and I think Lin was more Les's idea anyway.

#10 jojokattie

jojokattie

• Members
                • Pip
                • 4 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:30 PM

Hindsight and stirring the emotion of fans are the favorite of bloggers. Please take look the conference standing of Suns. Both of Lin and Dragic are first time starters. High expectation is not fair for both of them. Players learn and improve through experiences. Rockets, Suns, Raptors are not top contenders, people.

#11 Guest_ckingtcu_*

Guest_ckingtcu_*
                  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:48 PM

From a basketball standpoint, this argument of Gogi over Lin makes a lot of sense. Their contracts are similar (on an annual basis but Dragic's contract is for an extra year) so the outflows are comparable. The difference lies in the media coverage and merchandise revenue that Lin brings. So far Rockets' fans haven't caught on and also haven't been attending games but I believe that's more attributed to the issues with the new Comcast tv contract. As a whole, most of the city has tuned off the Rockets because of not getting the games and/or the success and local media dominance of the Houston Texans. If/when Comcast figures everything out and starts giving Houstonians what they want things will begin to change ESPECIALLY if this team is contending toward the end of the season. If Morey can make a splash in the offseason or later this season like he's openly said he wants to then this team will be better and fans will buy in. Bottom line is that fans need to be able to watch the games in order for the Rockets to benefit from Jeremy Lin's best asset (his marketability).

#12 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
                  • 1,564 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:10 PM

If given the opportunity again, I'd go with Goran. If Lin can get his shot going, which I have confidence that he can, then it becomes a more complicated decision. If Lin can begin knocking down the deep shots it will help stretch the floor and open up some lanes for Harden to abuse. I liked Goran, and was furious that we let him leave, but as Stephen commented-with Goran we were stuck for several years regardless of his play, Lin gives us options.

As stated in the post above me, Lin's marketability has suffered because of Comcast and hopefully the Rockets realize that and push for a deal. Home-court advantage isn't really effective if half your seats are empty and half of what are filled are opposing team fans.

#13 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 4,123 posts
                    • Locationhouston

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:45 AM

dragic is better now and will be better in the future than lin can ever hope to be. looking back in hindsight it's easy to say that. at the time dragic wanted a 5 year deal starting at 8 mil. the real question is do you like dragic better than harden, because if we had sign dragic the okc trade would not have been available. why do you ask? each team under the new cba can only have 1 player signed for 5 years. all other players must be on deals of 4 years or less. what made us atractive to harden is we could offer the extra year in the deal that okc could not (durant is their 5 year player), netting him an extra 20 mil dollars. if we could only sign harden to a 4 year deal then there would have only been a 5 mil dollar difference between the offer okc had on the table and what we would have been able to offer which probably means harden stays in okc. I think harden is the better deal. lin was only signed as damage control. we are in a win-win situation with lin. if he pans out great we have our PG of the future, if not his contract only has 2 years after this one. lin was signed as a PR move to generate news in what was otherwise thought to be a down year.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#14 jojokattie

jojokattie

• Members
                    • Pip
                    • 4 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:42 AM

Hey Dragic Lovers, you should read this http://www.slamonlin...ole-in-phoenix/

#15 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                      • 1,547 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

dragic is better now and will be better in the future than lin can ever hope to be. looking back in hindsight it's easy to say that. at the time dragic wanted a 5 year deal starting at 8 mil. the real question is do you like dragic better than harden, because if we had sign dragic the okc trade would not have been available. why do you ask? each team under the new cba can only have 1 player signed for 5 years. all other players must be on deals of 4 years or less. what made us atractive to harden is we could offer the extra year in the deal that okc could not (durant is their 5 year player), netting him an extra 20 mil dollars. if we could only sign harden to a 4 year deal then there would have only been a 5 mil dollar difference between the offer okc had on the table and what we would have been able to offer which probably means harden stays in okc. I think harden is the better deal. lin was only signed as damage control. we are in a win-win situation with lin. if he pans out great we have our PG of the future, if not his contract only has 2 years after this one. lin was signed as a PR move to generate news in what was otherwise thought to be a down year.

If I'm not mistaken, Dragic wanted a 4 year deal with the 4th year being a player option. Morey didn't want to give the player option.

#16 tombrokeoff

tombrokeoff

Advanced Member

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPip
                        • 594 posts
                        • LocationHouston

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

If I'm not mistaken, Dragic wanted a 4 year deal with the 4th year being a player option. Morey didn't want to give the player option.

exactly correct

#17 kjy112

kjy112

• Members
                        • Pip
                        • 2 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

Perhaps, the next Lin blog should be. "What is wrong with Jeremy Lin's shot?" @kjy112

#18 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
                          • PipPipPipPipPip
                          • 1,290 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:52 AM

I guess it depends on what the rockets wanted to do. If they wanted to generate some buzz and gamble on lin living up to the hype then Lin was the right choice. If they wanted to maybe contend for a playoff spot this year and next year dragic probably was the guy for that. Maybe Lin will play better if not I'm sure they could deal him next year around the deadline.

#19 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
                            • PipPipPip
                            • 437 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:26 AM

At the time, I don't believe Morey thought he was going to get Harden. It is clear that at the point Goran is better. When Morey signed Lin, he knew we were at least 2-3 years from being competitive. Because of this, he went with the guy he thought could develop and, just as importantly, could put people in the seats. In my opinion this isn't on Morey at all.

#20 Chichos

Chichos

• Members
                              • PipPipPip
                              • 216 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:07 AM

Morey just can't win. When he sets himself up to trade for a star he gets no takers. So he sets himself up to tank and gets a star... on a team built to tank.

I hope Lin is part of the future and not part of the tanking

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users