Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

Goran Dragic vs. Jeremy Lin: Did the Houston Rockets pick the wrong guy?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
  • 2,303 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

Tuoi56, with all due respect, you are pretty off if what you have written you consider an informed opinion that you are presenting as factual points in this debate. Now if you are crazy about Lin and truly 'feel' that way then hey you are entitled to your feelings but generally we try to keep discussion here on Red94 on the more rational side of basketball talk.

The fact is Harden averages 5.6 assists and Lin averages 6.1 and on the surface that is not much of a difference. Looking at assists average would not confirm that Harden is a ball hog and it would tell me he is a player who handles the ball and makes plays. Now you can break down their assists averages versus minutes played, their position on the court or however you want but to label Harden as selfish is pretty far from the truth.

To the original question as to whether Dragic or Lin is better, honestly there isn't probably much of a difference in the long term big picture. We are just splitting hairs in this debate. In the details they are quite different but both fit in a blueprint for the future. If anything we know Lin is exponentially superior in the PR realm but I personally do not care about that though it must be noted.
How sweet it is!

#42 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

Sheesh, Well we all know who that guy is a fan of.. As far as Dragic vs Lin, to me they're both cut from the same mold, which is kind of the problem with both of them. They have shooting guard skills in a PG sized body. Neither is a true shooter, and you can't play either at the 2 for too long because they're too small. This is also a problem especially for Lin having to share the backcourt with another player (Harden) cut from the same mold, but is actually sized right for his skills. Dragic's 2 is Brown(?) and the team has no scorer able to net 20 per night on average which opens up more opportunity for him, hence the 3 pt advantage over Lin. Their assists are about the same. Now if you wanted a much easier debate ask if Lin>Lowry. I would love to have Lowry back in his stead. Lowry fit the PG mold perfectly, and then some when you add in his rebounding. He's non-selfish and would gel perfectly with Harden, IMO without much adjustment. even though he's shorter, he was built like a football halfback and really bothered other PGs on defense with his bulk. Heck he even bothered bigs when creating contact driving to the basket because he would leave bruises. He had better court vision than both and knew well all of the technical little intricacies of the game and his position. Way more savvy to the game. Losing Lowry was the biggest heartbreaker.

#43 SamC

SamC

Rookie

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 50 posts
    • LocationConnecticut

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:37 AM

During the game, they had a quick shot of Lin sitting on the bench at end of the 4th and he looked demoralized. The coaching staff is clearly sending a message to Lin.

#44 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,865 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:15 AM

It seems quite pointless to me to keep harking on whether we should have signed Dragic or kept Lowry instead of signing Lin. The fact is Dragic wanted a 5 year contract (only 1 player per team can be signed to a 5 year contract, is Dragic the right player to sign in that case? No, as it turns out the Rockets instead eventually signed a much better player, Harden, to that 5 year contract) and reportedly Lowry and Coach McHale were at loggerheads. Jeremy Lin is an NBA point guard period and is better than at least half of the point guards starting in the league today period. Personally, I would like to see Lin have the ball more so he can do his magic and create rather than keep going with the same old play over and over again by giving Harden the ball at the top of the key and see what he can create. Why not let Harden create from the right side of the court and give Lin first dibs on most plays. If nothing is available, pass the ball to Harden and let him create from the side with dribble penetrations or pick and roll with Patterson leaving Patterson open for a 3 in the corner if both defensive players go for Harden. Just a thought.

#45 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,865 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:20 AM

During the game, they had a quick shot of Lin sitting on the bench at end of the 4th and he looked demoralized. The coaching staff is clearly sending a message to Lin.

And just exactly what message is the coaching staff supposedly sending to Lin??

#46 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
        • 1,547 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:05 AM

It seems quite pointless to me to keep harking on whether we should have signed Dragic or kept Lowry instead of signing Lin. The fact is Dragic wanted a 5 year contract (only 1 player per team can be signed to a 5 year contract, is Dragic the right player to sign in that case? No, as it turns out the Rockets instead eventually signed a much better player, Harden, to that 5 year contract) and reportedly Lowry and Coach McHale were at loggerheads. Jeremy Lin is an NBA point guard period and is better than at least half of the point guards starting in the league today period. Personally, I would like to see Lin have the ball more so he can do his magic and create rather than keep going with the same old play over and over again by giving Harden the ball at the top of the key and see what he can create. Why not let Harden create from the right side of the court and give Lin first dibs on most plays. If nothing is available, pass the ball to Harden and let him create from the side with dribble penetrations or pick and roll with Patterson leaving Patterson open for a 3 in the corner if both defensive players go for Harden. Just a thought.

Dragic wanted a 4 year contract, not a 5 year contract. Jeremy Lin has a 3 year contract. Giving Dragic the 4-year-deal would not have prohibited signing Harden to the 5 year.

#47 SamC

SamC

Rookie

• Members
          • PipPip
          • 50 posts
          • LocationConnecticut

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:33 PM

And just exactly what message is the coaching staff supposedly sending to Lin??

The message is, play well or sit on the bench. The question isn't effort. He's displaying a lot of that but he's not making baskets and instead, creating turnovers. Despite having a poor shooting game, Harden continued to be aggressive and get to the line and at least force the Celtics to double him or stay on him. We all know Lin can play so he has to stop passing up shooting opportunities. And he has a tendency to drive to the basket and stop because he wants to pass. He either gets called for walking, turns the ball over because he's making a poor pass, gets blocked because he's trying to shoot after coming to a halt, or he gets the ball ripped from his hands by a larger defender who's blocking the paint. He could learn a lot from Harden. Lin has to drive to the basket with the mind set to shoot and pass second rather than pass first and shoot second.

#48 SamC

SamC

Rookie

• Members
          • PipPip
          • 50 posts
          • LocationConnecticut

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

Personally, I would like to see Lin have the ball more so he can do his magic and create rather than keep going with the same old play over and over again by giving Harden the ball at the top of the key and see what he can create. Why not let Harden create from the right side of the court and give Lin first dibs on most plays. If nothing is available, pass the ball to Harden and let him create from the side with dribble penetrations or pick and roll with Patterson leaving Patterson open for a 3 in the corner if both defensive players go for Harden. Just a thought.

I saw an effort last night to give both players the chance to try and create something. Early in the game, Lin or Harden would try to penetrate and if nothing opened up, they would kick the ball out to the other. But it didn't work. And I think the coach's experiment with the the rotation isn't working either. For the past two games, when they rest Harden, they have Lin and Douglas in the backcourt. The problem is, the ball keeps going to Douglas first and Lin ends up playing the role of a SG. I don't know if this is a coaching decision to put the ball in Douglas' hands or if Lin is deferring or the team prefers Douglas with the ball or what. If the purpose of that rotation is to give Lin a chance to be "the man", it's not working.

#49 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,865 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:52 AM

Dragic wanted a 4 year contract, not a 5 year contract. Jeremy Lin has a 3 year contract. Giving Dragic the 4-year-deal would not have prohibited signing Harden to the 5 year.

Thanks for that, Rahat. I stand corrected! I see that Dragic has a player option in year 4 of his contract, too.

#50 AlphaBeta

AlphaBeta

• Members
            • Pip
            • 6 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

from the numbers, Dragic is having a better season so far. Not such a difference that people should be crying over him though...
              If the more developed player isn't having a better season that would be a problem.

#51 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 338 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

Fun with numbers continued.

Jeremy Lin has played just under 2100 minutes in NBA prior to Christmas Chicago game.
                His assist % this yr is 29.8% and his turnover % is 18.6% with a usage of 18.9% and a PER of 14.4.

Dragic had 2,170 minutes by the end of his second yr.
                His numbers for his second season are an assist % of 24.1%,turnover % of 18.3% w/a usage rate of 21.1% and a PER of 14.8.

#52 DaDakota

DaDakota

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 165 posts
                • LocationAustin

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

Yes they did, Dragic is better all the way around.

Lin is about 2/3rds the ability of Dragic.....

Lin was signed to sell tickets while we rebuild, once we got Harden, I guarantee they wish they kept Dragic.

#53 Jlin787

Jlin787

• Members
                • Pip
                • 9 posts
                • LocationHouston

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:01 AM

Getting Harden didn't mean playoffs instantly. As stated, the Rockets are ahead schedule and are winning games. We were technically a rebuilding team with the bonus of Harden.

#54 sircharles

sircharles

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 283 posts
                • LocationAustin Tx

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:14 AM

lets look at the great season dragic has been having this year.......

#55 DaDakota

DaDakota

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 165 posts
                • LocationAustin

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

lets look at the great season dragic has been having this year.......

Maybe not great, but better than Lin in every individual category.

Not saying LIn sucks, but Goran is clearly the better player.

#56 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                • 4,128 posts
                • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:13 AM

Stats Schmats! Lin is easier to pronounce than Dragic. Ergo, I prefer Lin. So there.

#57 DaDakota

DaDakota

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 165 posts
                • LocationAustin

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:36 AM

Stats Schmats! Lin is easier to pronounce than Dragic. Ergo, I prefer Lin. So there.

Well how can you argue with that?

LOL - and he is american to boot !

DD

#58 kjunfood

kjunfood

• Members
                • Pip
                • 8 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:38 AM

Wait, you mean every individual category not named assists and rebounds, right? Or steals, blocks and FT%? And while Lin is still behind in FG% by a bit (just .2 now), and by a lot in 3 pt %, and a tad higher in TOs...their momentum seems to be in opposite directions. Lin's play has been much, much better lately.

Am I saying, knowing we would have Harden today, I would personally choose Lin over Dragic? No. Am I saying Lin is better than Dragic? Definitely not. But I feel, esp. as the season continues (and Lin who is 2 yrs younger grows), it will be a much tougher question than you think. I already am unsure it is that obvious of an answer!

#59 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 373 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

I do believe that we are seeing why Lin is an acceptable replacement for Dragic. Remarkable what coaching and substituting patterns can do for a team. We seem to be heading in the right direction. Why mess with success?

#60 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 373 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

DD! Good to see you again. Best to you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users