Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

Goran Dragic vs. Jeremy Lin: Did the Houston Rockets pick the wrong guy?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

With all decisions like this, the results need to be evaluated over the length of these players' contracts. Especially since Lin was signed over Dragic in part because of his room for growth. Lin's deal is 3 years long, so that's 246 games excluding post-season games. We've played 12 games so far, so we're less than 5% of the way through his contract. Probably a bit early to be making any concrete judgements here, IMO.

Maybe by the time the All-Star Break comes around we'll know enough about Lin's capabilities to make an informed analysis of the situation - at the moment we're still in the Small Sample Size zone, and if that zone has a shooting slump in then you're always going to come up with a negative view of a player's abilities.

ST

#22 Jlin787

Jlin787

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

I would also like to add that this is basically a new Rockets team and that it takes time to build chemistry and figure things out. It took the Heat a while to play well together and the Lakers are having trouble as well. Also the way the offense plays is not really how Jeremy plays, he plays a lot of off-ball and gives the ball to Harden a lot. There isn't a lot of good ball movement and a lot of iso play from Harden.

#23 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

A few more thoughts:

In response to some of the responses here and also on Twitter, I strongly disagree with the sentiment that this is somehow an albatross contract and that Lin is irredeemable. I do think Dragic is the better player and the better fit for this team, but that doesn't mean Lin sucks or won't be valuable for this team. I don't know if it will be this year, but I think that by the end of the contract, Lin will have proved himself worthy.

He does everything else well, its just the shooting right now which is the problem. And shooting is the easiest thing to correct. I also think its on the coaching staff to find a way to utilize Harden and Lin together as their skills are redundant - but that's on the staff, not J Lin.

Bottom line is that he's just going to have to get in the gym and shoot 1000 jumpers per day. That's the only way he's going to be a good point guard. He seems to have a good work ethic so I'm not too concerned.

#24 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 702 posts
    • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

The easiest way to correct that in this moment is to give the ball more to Lin so he can play the pick and roll and get Harden open. I know that being Harden the star of this team is easier said than done, but it would take the responsability from Lin to knock those open 3's or to pass up opportunities.

#25 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 338 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

Right now the Rockets are running a bare-bones offense of giving the ball to Harden or Lin and telling them to create something.
      Other teams are packing the paint and swarming the dribbler creating tons of turnovers.

I hope the Rockets return to the "weave" offense of the second half of last season that was very good for the PGs and wings.
      I kinda expect they will once McHale returns.
      Incidentally,Milwaukee is using it this yr w/great success for Jennings and Ellis.

#26 LMAOwais

LMAOwais

• Members
      • Pip
      • 35 posts
      • LocationHoustonish

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:08 AM

Offense at our PG position is awfuI. think letting Lin run the 2nd unit would be a great idea, only I'd loathe the idea of letting Toney Douglas be the benefactor of such a decision because he clearly is not high-functioning/starting caliber point guard right now. If Toney can just somehow gain the same consistency in shooting that we demand of Lin then there is a point of reconsideration. And I agree with Rahat, despite all his offensive woes Lin has demonstrated that he is capable of doing all the other things required of his position: directing the offense, providing the occasional drive to the basket to keep the defense honest, and serving as an upper-echelon ball-hawk and decent defender.

#27 Voecklen

Voecklen

• Members
      • Pip
      • 26 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:10 AM

Interesting topic. Unlike many here (my assumption but could be incorrect) I have had the pleasure of watching every Dragic game this year. I haven't watched every Lin game but I've watched most of his minutes. Many here are saying that this is a question that can't be answered now as Lin was a longer term project and therefore we need to wait and see what Lin becomes. While the future can never be predicted with certainty, after watching Dragic improve this year above and beyond how he played at the end at the last season, I believe Jeremy Lin will never be as good as Goran Dragic is right now. Dragic could very well make the All-Star game this year. Stats just don't really tell the whole story.

I really wanted to see Dragic develop with the talent that was here. Obviously, I never envisioned him playing with Harden. That would have been something. Honestly, it would have been the best backcourt in the league. Combine with Parson and the team would have been set at those positions for years. Kind of sad to think of what might have been.

#28 Voecklen

Voecklen

• Members
        • Pip
        • 26 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:23 AM

BTW, for anyone who misses his play and has access to old games, go to the recent PHX/Miami game. Watch the steal Dragic makes and the finish with about 2:20 left in the fourth quarter. Spectacular.

#29 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
          • 1,547 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:36 AM

I really wanted to see Dragic develop with the talent that was here. Obviously, I never envisioned him playing with Harden. That would have been something. Honestly, it would have been the best backcourt in the league. Combine with Parson and the team would have been set at those positions for years. Kind of sad to think of what might have been.

Was thinking about this earlier today. I do think Dragic-Harden would have been the best backcourt in the league. Above Joe Johnson and Deron Williams as Joe Johnson has slipped a bit.

#30 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
            • 1,415 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:34 PM

New post: The Jeremy Lin Situation

#31 SamC

SamC

Rookie

• Members
              • PipPip
              • 50 posts
              • LocationConnecticut

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:38 AM

Although Lin isn't a great spot up shooter, I think he can definitely improve that part of his game in the off season. I recall reading an article that talked about how Lin spent much of the summer practicing his ball handling skills because he thought he was going to be the primary ball handler. Having limited time this summer to work on his game because of his knee injury, he had to focus on what he thought would pay the biggest dividends for the team. He couldn't predict that Houston would trade for Harden. However, since the trade, he's been working on his jump shot and now it's starting to show. And I agree that Lin is very dependent upon adrenaline. He passes on a lot of shots and yet he's always waving for the ball. The guy wants to shoot but is afraid to miss. He has to learn how to shoot with confidence.

#32 tigger

tigger

• Members
              • Pip
              • 4 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:51 AM

"Lin must never again be benched down the stretch." I completely agree. Way to kill someone's confidence (no one likes getting benched) by sitting them for freaking Toney Douglas. If you really believe in letting him develop/gain valuable on-court experience, then don't f.ucking bench him.
                "He and the team must be given a chance to figure this out, in a year where the results don’t really matter." I too agree. Imagine if the Rockets traded Lin and then he actually plays awesome on his new team? They'd be the laughing stock of the NBA for letting him go twice.

I know this is hard to fathom but let Lin be the PG and Harden the SG. I don't have much faith in this coaching staff, we'll see what happens.

#33 hammelltime

hammelltime

• Members
                • Pip
                • 1 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:05 AM

Everyone's got a problem with Lin's shot. Yeah, it's not great, but neither is Dwayne Wade's. He shoots 29% from 3 point range for his career! No one complains about his shooting. And he's got a ring with that abysmal percentage. The Heat let him drive to the hoop. Him and Lebron can coexist cause one is a forward and the other a guard. Lebron doesn't have to start off with the ball. Having Lin and Harden is like having two PGs, except Harden is capable of being a shooting guard, so put him in that spot and let Lin play more like Wade. Otherwise, trade Lin and get someone Harden can alley oop to.

#34 tigger

tigger

• Members
                  • Pip
                  • 4 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:33 AM

"Lin must never again be benched down the stretch." I completely agree. Way to kill someone's confidence (no one likes getting benched) by sitting them for freaking Toney Douglas. If you really believe in letting him develop/gain valuable on-court experience, then don't f.ucking bench him.
                    "He and the team must be given a chance to figure this out, in a year where the results don’t really matter." I too agree. Imagine if the Rockets traded Lin and then he actually plays awesome on his new team? They'd be the laughing stock of the NBA for letting him go twice.

I know this is hard to fathom but let Lin be the PG and Harden the SG. I don't have much faith in this coaching staff, we'll see what happens.

#35 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPip
                    • 548 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

I think the best thing for Lin's development is to have him lead the second unit for a stretch. This will enable us to get the most out of him because he won't have to defer to anyone. If done in the first round of sub-outs and he comes in for Douglas and Cook (Ugh) for Harden, it will give him a chance to get in his zone and catch fire without the hindrance of having to defer. If so, then leave him in with Harden and give him the green light. If he struggles after being inserted then keep him in and let him defer to Harden and set to spot up. I'm not saying playing Douglas the majority of PG minutes, just starting him and bring in Lin off the bench for his Terry/Ginobili-like energy. Put Lin on track for 6th man considerations.

#36 Tuoi56

Tuoi56

• Members
                      • Pip
                      • 3 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

Before this article came out and other writers like Gregg Doyle of CBSSports.com put down LIn, saying he isn't just good enough or LIn is average, I knew exactly what the problem was.

Writers and people just looked at his 10pts a game stats and were putting him down. But I knew the problem with Harden ball hogging 95% of the time and rarely passing to Lin, of course LIn's stat would be down.

LIn had skills all along and his NY Linsanity was his true skills. Lin can penetrate to the bakset create fouls or penetrate and dish out to open man for 3 or to the center for a dunk. LIn can hurt you many way.

LIn had sills all along. given an opportunity to truely be a PG.

Harden has to learn to share the ball like the Spurs and let LIn penetrate and dish out to open Harden and Harden shoot for 3 or LIn penetrate and create foul shot and vice versa. But the most important thing is, when Jeremy dribbles up the court and goes to corner and waving his hands, pass the damm ball to Jeremy and share the ball and create shots.

Harden has to share the ball and that is the only way.

Otherwise trade LIN to the Wizards and being a true ball handlin PG, LIn can average 25pts a game. easily.

I wonder what people say if Lin's 82 game averages 25pts 9assists a game for example teams like the Wizards.

#37 Tuoi56

Tuoi56

• Members
                        • Pip
                        • 3 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

I would actually prefer Lin to be traded to teams like Wizards, because there, he can average 25pts, 9assists a night being a true ball handling PG.

Because here at the Rockets, Harden will not share the ball and be a ball hog his way to 40pts every night.

Although not likely, hope Lin gets traded to teams like Wizards and average 25pts for 82 games for 3years. After that get a huge contract extension and see more LIN for a long time.

Actually, it is better that way I think. go to Wizards LIn and be selfish and up your stats and let's get contracts. because this NBA league is full of selfish ball players who's goal is to get high stats for them and get 100millio dollar contract like Harden.

#38 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                          • 1,547 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

Tuoi56: Out of curiosity, I'm assuming you're a Lin fan and not a Rockets fan?

#39 Tuoi56

Tuoi56

• Members
                            • Pip
                            • 3 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

I am a LIn and Rockets fan. But Rockets team mates are beginning to disgust me.

The way Harden being selfish and a ball control hog. His only goal is to score 30-40pts a night for his next big contract. And his team mates being selective as to who to pass the ball to. Jeremy is open in the corner waving his hands and watch the TV closely, Harden, Parsons or Patterson, Douglas will only share the ball to themselves.

Lin dribble up the court, and as soon as they pass the half court, Lin will pass to Harden and he will take over from there.

Rockets better learn to share the ball and create shots whether that be LIn or Harden and let LIn penetrate with his quick speed to punish the defenders for a foul shots or layups.

Yes I am a LIn fan. I knew Lin had skills while these writers and people were saying LIn sucked without knowing what the reason behind his low stat was. But I knew it a month ago, by just watching TV. Harden just did not pass the ball and ball hogged. I knew right away Lin's stat would go down.

And when Harden camout against the Spurs. I predicted 20pts for LIn but he scored 38pts. I knew LIn had PG skills all along. His penetration speed actually got faster than from when he was with the Knicks.

Bottom LIne : Harden better learn to share the ball and create ball movements and shoot open shots. whether it be LIn or Harden. And let Lin penetrate to create mismatches.

Share the damm ball Harden.

#40 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                              • 1,547 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

I don't think it's a case of his teammates--or Harden--not passing him the ball. I think the issue is that the play needs to be starting in his hands for him to be effective. He isn't very effective off of kickouts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users