Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

Who's the Rockets' next target?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:53 AM

Was going to write a post on this but figured I'd open it up for discussion ahead of time. Who's the next target for Houston?

Most everyone would agree that Lin, Harden, and Asik are pretty much set in stone.

Parsons is pretty safe, though if a star small forward became available, that would change. But there aren't many of those, so Parsons stays too. (He's also locked in cheap for the next few years and meshes well with Harden.)

So you're left with power forward where you'd like to upgrade.

The team has rookies galore in Motiejunas, Jones, and White. There's Patterson as well.

They also will have enough money next offseason to offer someone the max.

What do they do?

#2 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,182 posts
    • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:10 AM

I think one of the things we could do is try to flip some of our young PFs for a more established star at the position. Kind of a mirror to how this deal went down, really: we trade two of our players at SG for another, better player at SG. That sort of trade is something that might be more acceptable to other teams - they get someone to fill the hole their star has left behind.

We've got a season to see what happens with the guys jostling for playing time there, and ultimately it may prove unnecessary if someone steps up similar to how Parsons did last year. But that doesn't tend to happen very often, and realistically given the setup we have now it seems more likely that the young guys will be spending a lot of time in the D-League. Hopefully they all will get a chance to shine at some point during the season. I've not seen anything from any of the rookies apart from Terrence Jones and maybe Machado (and he's buried too deep on the depth chart for that to happen for a while) that makes me think they'd be able to contribute meaningfully right away.

My one worry is that in the race to sign an established star we end up giving up on our prospects too early. As I imply above, for the most part it's going to take more than a year for these guys to be ready to contribute. If a year is all the time we give them, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't bear fruit in the manner we're expecting. But I guess we'll see what the situation is like nearer the time - I certainly wouldn't expect any more moves until the trade deadline at the earliest (and I don't expect we'll do anything drastic then either unless the first half of the season has gone TERRIBLY - maybe try and flip an asset or two for picks or something like that, you know, the sort of thing Morey can do in his sleep).

ST

#3 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,290 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:10 AM

I know Lin is supposed to be set in stone but if Lawson doesn't get his contract figured out with Denver I think he would be a good pickup. Maybe a trade for Aldridge but not sure we have enough pieces for him left. Taj Gibson might be available or maybe al jefferson. If we don't get any of those guys the 2014 free agent class seems like it will be pretty good as well.

#4 sircharles

sircharles

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 283 posts
      • LocationAustin Tx

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:14 AM

jefferson or milsap will be shipped off this year to make more playing time available for kanter and favors. would love to have either one.

#5 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
      • 1,564 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:15 AM

Considering the assets already accumulated at PF I am thinking a trade is the better opportunity for us to attain that star PF. We'll likely want to keep one(maybe 2) of the 4 you mentioned for depth-but certainly don't need all 4.

Notable PF names:
        Boozer
        Z Randolph
        Josh Smith(FA)
        Bosh
        Al Jefferson(FA)
        Millsap
        Aldridge
        Cousins

I don't see all these guys being available, but theyre the better of the power forwards that have possibility, mostly due to salary cap reasons.

Best odds are for Josh Smith. I can certainly see Bosh being shopped if something were to happen and the Heat don't repeat.

#6 kdog94

kdog94

• Members
        • Pip
        • 2 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:18 AM

It mostly depends on how our rookies and Patterson play as I think the Rockets will more than likely make a trade for the next max contract player. It wouldn't hurt to have a decent pick. While I don't think Howard is completely out of the picture, I don't see that happening. Personally I like LMA, and if 2 of previously said rookies and Patterson show some potential, then it may get interesting.

#7 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
          • 1,547 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:21 AM

Al Jefferson's a name that definitely is realistic, especially given the ties with McHale. He's nearing 30 though if I'm not mistaken.

#8 sircharles

sircharles

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 283 posts
            • LocationAustin Tx

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:37 AM

#9 sircharles

sircharles

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 283 posts
            • LocationAustin Tx

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:37 AM

and pf/c seem to do better in there late 20's and early 30's

edit:sorry for the double post

#10 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 4,123 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:58 AM

I wouldn't make a move at PF. we have 4 high upside players there, surely 2 of the 4 will pan out. if we make a trade to soon at that position we may give away a player who turns out better than the one we are getting (remember rudy gay). we have such a glut of talent there we should wait it out to see who emerges, then maybe trade off the remainder for draft picks. I don't see PF as a problem position. also I have heard a couple of people refer to aldridge as a target. I wouldn't do that deal because if we wait I think a player will emerge who will be as good or better than he is. jefferson or milsap will only clog the position like scola did so their out in my book. the position we should look at is PG. I don't see lin as a fix at the point guard position. he has not proved anything to me yet. yes he had a nice run last year, but we can't live off last year. his training camp has me worried. I have not seen the same player who had the nice run last year surface yet. I know he is recovering from injury, but I was expecting more than what I have seen. if he does not return to last years form that's going to be our position of need. I really wish we had kept dragic, but no use in bringing up the past. all of our other positions are pretty much locked up until we find out what we have of course unless durant want to join his buddy harden. what good is it to aquire all this talent if we aren't going to give them a chance. I have said it b4 and I will say it again I want the rockets to go young, grow our own players, stop chasing older players. I think we have what we need if we just work with what we have. the grass always looks greener on the other side, but if we play our cards right we may have some very green grass too.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#11 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPipPip
            • 702 posts
            • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

Agree with rocketsbestfan: I'd like to land a star PG instead of a PF, mainly because a great PG makes every teammate better, and because Lin isn't likely to grow into a constant star, while we have various rookies at PF and maybe one of them turn into something special.

I'd like to bring Paul, but that would probably be out of the question, and I don't see any team trading a star PG, so the most probable scenario would be that Morey waits until next offseason and tries to land a great PF. Aldridge is very solid and could complement nicely with Asik skills, but Smith can impact the team in more aspects (even if he is unconsistent or likes to throw mid range jumpers which don't always fall). Both of them are 27 (Smith will turn 27 this year), they aren't old and are probably entering their prime, so the window would last their entire contracts. That could be an option via free agency, I wouldn't like to trade 2 or 3 PF in exchange for one of them without seeing what they can do first.
            Cousins would fit more in the youth movement, although he is a C, not PF, but probably could adapt to it, or share time with Asik at C. Bosh could be shopped and it would be a nice addition, but it's not likely to happen (we probably get another max player before he is being shopped).

The rest of the list blake named....not interested really. I don't see any of them bringing much upside, and all of them would probably get very overpaid.

#12 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 4,123 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

ale11:
            cousins is a player I would target without a doubt. problem is I don't know how you could convince the kings to part with him. you never know what can happen in the run of a season, but if he became available the rockets should be 1st in line. can never have to many good bigs right? cousins is slowly accending to stardom. if we could somehow nab him that would be a hostal takeover in the west. thing is whoever the rockets target should be young like harden and the rest of our team. if we want to contend for a decade we must build young. the longer you can hold the contender window open the more likely you are to win a championship right?

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#13 chesegovia

chesegovia

• Members
            • Pip
            • 13 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:44 PM

Personally I would like either Josh Smith or Demarcus Cousin.

#14 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
              • 1,564 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:50 AM

Agree with rocketsbestfan: I'd like to land a star PG instead of a PF, mainly because a great PG makes every teammate better, and because Lin isn't likely to grow into a constant star, while we have various rookies at PF and maybe one of them turn into something special.

I'd like to bring Paul, but that would probably be out of the question, and I don't see any team trading a star PG, so the most probable scenario would be that Morey waits until next offseason and tries to land a great PF. Aldridge is very solid and could complement nicely with Asik skills, but Smith can impact the team in more aspects (even if he is unconsistent or likes to throw mid range jumpers which don't always fall). Both of them are 27 (Smith will turn 27 this year), they aren't old and are probably entering their prime, so the window would last their entire contracts. That could be an option via free agency, I wouldn't like to trade 2 or 3 PF in exchange for one of them without seeing what they can do first.
                Cousins would fit more in the youth movement, although he is a C, not PF, but probably could adapt to it, or share time with Asik at C. Bosh could be shopped and it would be a nice addition, but it's not likely to happen (we probably get another max player before he is being shopped).

The rest of the list blake named....not interested really. I don't see any of them bringing much upside, and all of them would probably get very overpaid.

I agree with the rest of the list statement, just wanted to put a few names out there that we've all talked about before. As far as seeing what Aldridge/Smith can bring before trading away 2-3 of our PFs, they've both been in the league long enough management should have a damn good idea. I just don't see a way to get LMA without giving a few up, theyll desperately need someone with upside.

#15 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 2,008 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:01 AM

Greg Monroe.

#16 The Diceman

The Diceman

• Members
                  • Pip
                  • 2 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:00 AM

The next target better be the fans!!!!!!

get the TV deal done by Friday!!!!!!

If no deal is done I hope the NBA banishes them to Canada :angry:

#17 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 4,123 posts
                    • Locationhouston

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:35 AM

Greg Monroe.

I wouldn't touch monroe with a ten foot pole. I don't know what joe dumars is smoking up there, but its gotta be some good sh_t. if joe thinks he can play that's good enough reason for us to leave him alone. joe couldn't spot talent if it hit him with a mack truck :lol:

#18 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPip
                    • 1,182 posts
                    • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

I wouldn't touch monroe with a ten foot pole. I don't know what joe dumars is smoking up there, but its gotta be some good sh_t. if joe thinks he can play that's good enough reason for us to leave him alone. joe couldn't spot talent if it hit him with a mack truck :lol:

Here's Aaron McGuire's breakdown: http://gothicginobili.com/?p=3366#p1. It sounds like if he can sort out his defence he'll be a star. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Suspect he's under rated because he's been playing in Detroit...

ST

#19 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 236 posts
                    • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

I'd actually upgrade the SF/PF over the PG. Who was the last star PG to win a title? Is Tony Parker a super duper star? Jason Kidd was past his prime, and Rondo was still fresh, so it seems that an adequate PG is sufficient. I'm OK with Lin.

Hoopsworld has a great list of possible targets: http://www.hoopsworl...ba-free-agents/

For the SF, there isn't a whole lot available next summer that I'd take over Parsons. Leonard and maybe Harrington, but Leonard has a team option we know SA will pick up.

For the PF, Smith seems to be the easiest to get, but he'll likely be the most expensive. Millsap and West are both experienced vets, and adequate. Other names were Hickson, Brand, Speights, and Davis, though the latter 2 are on team options.

Think I'd rather try for a younger player and have him grow into a star. The PFs we have all have talent, but let's see if they could have "star" in them.

#20 amacbrooks12

amacbrooks12

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 161 posts
                    • LocationBronx, New York

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

I know its early but Lakers are 0-2 , and theres already major drama in hollywood . I think we should go after Dwight Howard if it doesnt work out for him over there . And its different now , it's not like we're giving up all our young players and rookies for him . And it's not like we suck and have no star on the team ( before the Harden trade ) . We already have Harden and a good young core , so its a different situation now and I think Howard can probably commit to us if he realizes how much potential we would have with him on the rockets .

Just imagine the Harden-Howard pick and rolls , and how deadly it would be for other teams to guard . And we would still have Asik , so even when Dwight is off the floor the second unit would still have a great defensive presence in the paint . We would instantly be contenders and the most popular team in the NBA .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users