Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

Who's the Rockets' next target?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#21 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

Just imagine the Harden-Howard pick and rolls , and how deadly it would be for other teams to guard . And we would still have Asik , so even when Dwight is off the floor the second unit would still have a great defensive presence in the paint . We would instantly be contenders and the most popular team in the NBA .

And exactly who would you be sending to LA in order to get Howard? Getting a player like him usually guts your roster (unless their GM is named Hennigan), just ask New York and how happy is Denver now after trading Melo.

#22 amacbrooks12

amacbrooks12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationBronx, New York

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

Isn't he a free agent after this season ?

#23 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

He is, but he won't come here....he is into the lights and fame, and Houston is not a glamorous city.

#24 tombrokeoff

tombrokeoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

F** Howard

#25 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

F** Howard

HELL YEAH!

#26 Chichos

Chichos

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

I think the Pairing of Lin and Harden works really well. Lin loves to slash and kick out to shooters and Harden loves to do the same. Once Lin establishes he is a consistent three point threat the lane will open up for both of them. (Parsons needs to start nailing some threes as well.) Miami's game works because they have excellent three point shooting at three positions at all times. So what we need is a PF that can step back and hit a three while also being a consistent threat in the mid-range game. (this is my best guess as to why Marcus Morris was in the game other then McHale playing him out of spite)

1. Patterson. From all accounts spent the summer working on his shooting stroke and his post game. If he can finish at the rim while making around 50% of his long 2s expect to see him as the starting 4 all season. His defense is miles ahead of everyone else's and as we saw last night, we need lots more D at the 4.

2. Jones. 3-point range, slashing ability, tons of athleticism? All checks. Now here is the hard part, he doesn't know the schemes on offense or defense well enough for McHale to give him significant minutes. So until Morey trades everyone that can start over Jones (remember that scene in Money ball?) I expect him to see him coming off the bench as the first or second big. So lets all hope Jones likes to study, like A LOT.

3. D-Mo. This is the guy I want to see prove he belongs. If he can withstand the physicality of the NBA game I think he becomes a great stretch 4/small ball 5. He has the range and post moves now he just needs to translate it to the NBA. Plus when the starters come out we can unleash some small ball action where all 5 positions can shoot it from anywhere on the floor. (This is again dependent on McHale being able to stomach a lot of defensive mistakes from our young guys. Which he seems very unwilling to do)

4. White. Man how far his star has fallen since draft night. Remember when he was supposed to run the team through the post a la finals Lebron? I honestly believe the Harden acquisition hurt Royce more then any other big guy. He looked a little smaller and a little slower then a lot of his competition in the preseason, which meant he was going to have to really shine with his passing and play making ability. But now that we have Harden creating so well the need for that skill has diminished significantly. Now that the team isn't starved for play making I don't expect to see White receive meaningful minutes this year. Realistically, the Rockets have three years to see if White can improve his athleticism and outside shooting. But for this year I see White spending a lot of time in the D-league unless he has an Ah Ha moment and just puts it all together.

I think the most likely scenario is Morey playing it out with his troop of 4's. Yes he found his corner stone in a trade. But with this much talent on rookie scale contracts Les Alexander's wallet is probably telling him to play out the season and see where our bigs end up.

#27 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 437 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:45 PM

If I were a betting man, I would say Smith will be a Rocket next year. However, as we've seen, people can come out of no where so I don't really want to make a prediction, but I guess I just did...

#28 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 373 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:14 PM

Actually what we saw Wednesday is probably a preview the main offensive set that will be featured this year. Horns featuring both Harden and Lin at the elbows. The 3 and 4 both wide on the baseline and Asik posted around the foul line. With both the guards able to shoot the 3 or penetrate, the defense is already back on their heels. While Lin will have the attention of the defense, if Harden gets the ball the 2 guarding Harden has to be supported by a player edging to double team him if he drives. Playing off of Harden is not an option. Then Harden just ball fakes, drives and then hits the open man for an assist. (One of several options for Harden.) The most effective example was when Harden was on the right elbow and Detroit had four players shading to Hardens side. A quick swing to Lin resulted in a drive from the 3 point line to the basket for a dunk.

Of course horns is an offensive set with a variety of options, most fitting McHale's temperament as a coach. By mid-season it should be a thing of beauty. In game one, we just got shown the basics.

So what I was getting around to is that having a PF who is also a threat from the 3 point line is a huge advantage in the horns set. Did you see the amount of space around the basket when the Rockets were properly spaced? I think that was the point of playing Morris at PF. He was enough of a threat to pull his man out to the 3 point line. Both the players and the coaching staff learned much from the Detroit game.

#29 sircharles

sircharles

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 283 posts
        • LocationAustin Tx

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:17 PM

Very good points

#30 Matt Maloney's Ghost

Matt Maloney's Ghost

Rookie

• Members
        • PipPip
        • 57 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:57 AM

I know this sounds crazy. By crazy, I mean insane. I agree that we have a good group of young talent and we have to play the game wait and see.

I think DM is waiting to see what happens with Amare. If he can swing some type of deal where we get 50 cents to the dollar for Amare. I think he would do it. Plus he's ripped off the Knicks before, why not again? I have no idea how the salaries would work out. Some type of massive 3 team trade.

All I know is that Amare value is really really low, I think the Knicks would deal him before the deadline.

Amare and Harden running the pick and roll. Oh My!

#31 Chichos

Chichos

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 216 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

Im not sure on the exact numbers but Im pretty sure Amare still has 4 years and a gazillion dollars left on his contract. Plus every time he jumped I would expect to see this

#32 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,290 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

Les won't want to pay amare 20mill to sit out with injuries and I don't blame him. I wouldn't go anywhere near amare.

#33 tombrokeoff

tombrokeoff

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPipPip
              • 594 posts
              • LocationHouston

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

agree with u again, cooper. no amare, please.

#34 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
              • 1,547 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

no chance on amare.

#35 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 4,123 posts
                • Locationhouston

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:30 AM

Matt Maloney's Ghost:
                I wouldn't take amare if they gave him to us free. his knee's are garbage. phoenix knew what they were doing when they let him leave, and if phoenix doctor's can't help you nobody can( just ask grant hill, steve nash) phoenix has one of the best if not the best medical staffs in the nba. what is happening to amare is exactly what phoenix doctors said would happen. his knee's simply can not handle a nba season. his career will be limited going forward and he may never again become the player he was just a few years ago. like Chichos said he makes about a gazillion dollars (good one Chichos) so for the rockets to chase him would be insane.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#36 sircharles

sircharles

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 283 posts
                • LocationAustin Tx

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:03 AM

derrick favors please

#37 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 4,123 posts
                • Locationhouston

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:54 AM

derrick favors please

why chase a PF b4 we know what we already have at that position. you do remember t-jones and d-mo don't you?

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#38 Peckrr

Peckrr

• Members
                • Pip
                • 3 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

Jefferson sounds good if we can get him pretty cheap, he has a nice post move and mid range jumper. Josh Smith also is a good option (plus he's only 26 years old). He has nice athleticism and defense. I know Bynum is injury prone , but I think we got to take a look at him, a frontcourt with him and Asik could be NBA contender level and would be very awesome. He would probably want max which is something we can offer.

#39 Chichos

Chichos

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 216 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

Josh Smith can't be relied on. He has the body of Lebron James and the mind of J. R. Smith. That is not someone you give max money to. I think the problem with Jefferson is the $$. We paid Dalembert 10 mil a year or right around it. So Jefferson would command essentially the same money. Do you think 15-20 min of Jefferson a night is worth that? Especially when it would take us out of the running for someone else? If the Bulls amnesty Carlos Boozer do you think the Rockets bid on him? I'm not a huge fan of his, but getting him for a reasonable price sounds like a Morey play.

#40 Chichos

Chichos

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 216 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

Sorry, make that 15 mil this year for Al Jefferson. Rockets can't even trade for him straight up, would have to be a three team trade. Now that Martin's salary is gone we can't trade for anyone making over 8 mil a year (using Cole Aldrich and Daequan cook's salaries) without getting creative.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users