Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

Who's the Rockets' next target?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#61 areteejay789

areteejay789

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

The thing with parsons, is he is a great defender, a great finisher around the rim, and an underrated passer. plus he does all the little things that battier used to do. Morris is a decent creator for himself, and an average shooter (from what we can tell.) Players with parsons's skillset are a lot rarer, and therefore more valuable. I think our main problem is we cannot have both a PF and a SF who are anything less than good at offense, because Asik is a complete nonfactor on that end of the ball (except on offensive boards). I would say parsons is more important to us at the minute than patterson because of the quality of the offensive bigs in this league is a long way below the quality of the elite wings, so we need a defensive presence for Kobe, Lebron, Melo, etc.

I agree we need a better backup PG, but douglas looked quite good in preseason, so it might be a bit early to write him off. Another aspect to watch is Douglas is a very good defender, but below average at running the offense, so maybe we should pair him with a backup sg who can create (not delfino). Machado definitely needs some run, especially as morey knows how productive he was in the preseason.

#62 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,123 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:51 PM

I keep hearing this about parsons (he does the little things well). what little things? he an ok rebounder, doesn't get many steals, plays slightly above average defense, doesn't set screens, shoots scappy three's when driving is his real asset, doesn't get many assist, a decent passer. so exactly what little things are you talking about? when you get pass rebounding, scoring, getting steals, blocking shots and getting assist what else is there?

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#63 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,182 posts
    • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:17 AM

I keep hearing this about parsons (he does the little things well). what little things? he an ok rebounder, doesn't get many steals, plays slightly above average defense, doesn't set screens, shoots scappy three's when driving is his real asset, doesn't get many assist, a decent passer. so exactly what little things are you talking about? when you get pass rebounding, scoring, getting steals, blocking shots and getting assist what else is there?

It's less about the skills in and of themselves, and more about the context in which he does them. He's got a great nose for the ball coming off the rim that allows him to get to the right position to grab the board often (hence why he was able to get all those tip jams at the start of last year). Knowing that he's able to pick up the boards from the SF position makes it a lot easier for the other front court players to concentrate on blocking out their man, and tips the balance towards us having good control of the defensive glass.

That synergises well with his handle, which allows him to kick off the break well if he picks up the rebound. He's already thrown several spectacular passes in transition so far this year (one in particular to Morris in the opening game was sublime), which is a great asset as it substantially increases the number of opportunities that Houston have to run. And when he doesn't have the ball in his hands on the fast break he tends to run the floor well, which improves our efficiency substantially in that area (or at least it would if Lin wasn't such a poor decision maker in that aspect of the game).

Defensively, I'd say he's more than just 'slightly above average'. His one-on-one defence is extremely solid, which is very valuable when playing against teams with an elite wing player. I can't recall seeing better defence on Kobe than Parsons played when we met the Lakers last year, for example. In addition, he tends to have a good understanding of where to be when he's off the ball - you often see him in good help position threatening the double team when the ball is in the post. That doesn't necessarily equate to anything that shows up in the stat sheet, but it does have an effect on the game.

In the half court, his career numbers from three aren't great, it's true. But he shot 36% from three after the all star break last year, which shows he is certainly capable of good enough shooting from the corner to be a threat. When that's on, it dovetails nicely with his slashing game - he's deceptively quick at curling to the hoop off the dribble, which makes it harder to close out on him, and his cutting is especially useful given that Lin, Harden and to a degree Asik are good at finding the slashers for baskets. Helps that his finishing at the rim is solid as well, so you can count on him for that.

So yeah, he does all that. It's a not insignificant contribution, in my opinion. You also have to factor in that in today's NBA, with its increasingly sophisticated scouting methods, being able to field a player with no glaring weaknesses to his game is a huge plus point. For sure there are some things he can work on, but nothing that is easily exploitable at either end of the floor and that is an asset in its own right.

ST

#64 Jeby

Jeby

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 208 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:51 AM

I would throw everything but Harden and the kitchen sink at Atlanta for Al Horford. Aldridge would be my second choice with Josh Smith third. I wouldn't touch Jefferson with a ten foot pole.
      Horford, Aldridge and Smith are all mobile bigs with range--the most valuable commodities in the NBA behind playmakers (which we have).
      Jefferson is a lane-clogging pivot who can't defend. Can you see him running pick-and-rolls with Harden?
      "Assets" -- Daryl Morey

#65 sircharles

sircharles

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 283 posts
      • LocationAustin Tx

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:53 AM

parsons ability to guard the wing is truely rare, that right there is enough for me. all battier could do on offense was shoot spot up shots, parsons can actually create with the ball. parsons does what he needs to do, he is the teams chemistry, especially now.

#66 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,123 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:15 AM

Sir Thursday and Sircharles:
      totally disagree on your view of parsons. finding people who can guard wing players is not rare.....ie gay,iggy,durant,kobe,ginobly,batum. finding people who can guard wing players and score is rare. 36% from 3 point land isn't good considering how many he shoots. plus his percentage was a lot lower when you take the entire year into account. I respect your opinion, but i'm not seeing the same player you all are looking at. I didn't like battier when he was here and it appears he will become another battier. we don't need someone doing the little things we need someone who can fill out a stat sheet. I think we can do better at that position.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#67 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 702 posts
      • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

I fully agree with both sirs (by the way, really nice take ST). He really is a must have guy, even if he doesn't score a lot from the outside, that's something we already have in our roster with Delfino, Morris, Douglas and Harden (all attached to any given night). I would be more interested in Lin developing a solid outside shot rather than Parsons outside that corner three.

rockets best fan: all those players you named are getting payed huge numbers, and I truly believe that Parsons can limitate their offensive production against the Rockets, and that alone gives us a good chance of winning those games. He is only a sophomore which should only get better. Worst case scenario, he has already hit his ceiling, in which case, he is valuable as a backup SF or starter depending on the rest of your starting lineup. If you have two scorers, who are also playmakers, you don't really need another one, that would be more apropiate for the second unit (we'll be needing those points from the bench) and that's why Morris should stick on the bench. Maybe you want to kill Morey for trading Batum for Darrell Arthur and Joey Dorsey (trading Gay for Battier was Dawson's fault).

Imagine that we get some kind of offensive juggernaut at PF (maybe one of our rookies). Having Lin, Harden and that PF scoring somewhere 50-60 points a night, the best complement you can get is SF and C who can play "above average" defense, and we already have those two. So, besides backup guards, what we are lacking right now from a serious playoff contender is a PF who can put something like 20 ppg, IMO.

From anywhere you all like to see it, we are in a good place now, even if our young players don't turn out to be what we expect from them, we are well positioned to shuffle up and deal again to build around Harden (right now, he's the only truly untouchable player in the roster). Most of us were all on board with rebuilding, now that we got Harden, let's not get too greedy. Let's be patient with this team, we have plenty of time to see what works and what doesn't before the trade deadline.

Be optimistic, fellas :D we are heading in the right direction for the first time in several years.

#68 tombrokeoff

tombrokeoff

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 594 posts
      • LocationHouston

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:17 PM

Be optimistic, fellas :D we are heading in the right direction for the first time in several years.

id agree but id also kind of disagree by saying we were never really headed backwards (in the daryl morey era). i mean we had the injuries, obviously, but i think (even though mostly minor) all of the upgrades morey has made we were more or less satisfied with at the time and they appeared to be positive moves. we were just stuck in the mud for some damn long, its nice to finally hit the jackpot of moves. granted we still need another one of these, but the monkey is off of moreys back.

#69 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,123 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:59 AM

id agree but id also kind of disagree by saying we were never really headed backwards (in the daryl morey era). i mean we had the injuries, obviously, but i think (even though mostly minor) all of the upgrades morey has made we were more or less satisfied with at the time and they appeared to be positive moves. we were just stuck in the mud for some damn long, its nice to finally hit the jackpot of moves. granted we still need another one of these, but the monkey is off of moreys back.

agreed

agreed. let me clear something up. I don't think parsons is useless. I just think we can upgrade the position and get better results.

#70 tombrokeoff

tombrokeoff

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 594 posts
      • LocationHouston

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:33 AM

technically we can upgrade every position and get better results (with the slight exception of harden - only a handful of better 2s in the league). but realistically we'll be fortunate to upgrade 1 position in a definitive manner (and in the somewhat short term). i personally dont believe SF is that position. I dont think Parsons has looked well this season (very early), but I believe with the right pieces, we can win big games with him at the 3.

#71 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,290 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:37 AM

I would have to agree with Tom, the 4 spot needs more help than parsons at 3, plus a scorer at the four would be more efficient than one you would usually get at the 3 plus would fit well with asik.

#72 redfaithful

redfaithful

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 211 posts
        • LocationIsrael

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

Seems Like Pau Gasol does not currently fit D'Antoni's system http://espn.go.com/l...e-touches-post. He could fit very well with Asik, we know the Rockets love him, and the Lakers need to shed salaries. Maybe...

#73 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
        • 1,547 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

Seems Like Pau Gasol does not currently fit D'Antoni's system http://espn.go.com/l...e-touches-post. He could fit very well with Asik, we know the Rockets love him, and the Lakers need to shed salaries. Maybe...

This is who I'd be targetting, if they can do it without trading Parsons/Harden/Asik. Gasol would make this team competitive in the West. While they wouldn't be contenders, it'd be a great stop gap solution until other FA's are on the market when he comes off the books in 2 years.

#74 amacbrooks12

amacbrooks12

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 161 posts
          • LocationBronx, New York

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:57 AM

Too bad Pau Gasol isn't what he used to be 2-3 years ago, but I agree with Rahat to still go after him. We won't be contenders for a championship but we would be in the playoffs for a few years which should attract FAs and other stars to Houston even more. Pau Gasol will also keep us in the middle pack of the West for a few years until we get that PF we all have been dreaming about ..

Lamarcus Aldridge, Kevin Love

#75 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 4,128 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

Kevin Love is the best PF in the game. I believe Houston has a legitimate chance of signing him to a max contract. I have become disenchanted with other options like Aldridge and Josh Smith. I don't believe either of those players can make people around them better--I think Love does.

Imagine Asik and Love in the front court along with Parsons, Harden, and Lin (for now). That's elite offense at the 2 and 4 position paired with elite defense at the 3 and 5. As long as Lin plays efficiently we are a scary team.

EDIT: just saw Love can't jump ship until 2015. Not sure Rockets will wait that long. : (

#76 sircharles

sircharles

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 283 posts
          • LocationAustin Tx

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:47 PM

This is who I'd be targetting, if they can do it without trading Parsons/Harden/Asik. Gasol would make this team competitive in the West. While they wouldn't be contenders, it'd be a great stop gap solution until other FA's are on the market when he comes off the books in 2 years.

i wouldnt mind gasol but yeah i agree definitely not worth it if it involves getting rid of any of our top players. id say maybe patterson/douglas or something along that lines, he doesnt have the value anymore to warrant a big name for him

#77 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,182 posts
          • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:23 AM

i wouldnt mind gasol but yeah i agree definitely not worth it if it involves getting rid of any of our top players. id say maybe patterson/douglas or something along that lines, he doesnt have the value anymore to warrant a big name for him

The Lakers have been so good at bringing back value in their trades that it has completely distorted expectations in the trade market for them. Whenever I see Gasol trades being discussed, what people are expecting in return for him seems absurd given his age and the size of his contract. They're definitely not going to be getting players that actually improve their starting lineup at this point (eg. you can forget Josh Smith for Gasol and that sort of thing). Your suggestion is more the sort of level I'm expecting (and hoping) that other teams would put out for him.

ST

#78 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,290 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:28 AM

Reports say gasol has tendinitis if he wasn't already crossed off the potentials list that should just about do it unless they can get him for basically nothing.

#79 MrZeno1911

MrZeno1911

• Members
            • Pip
            • 15 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

I say keep J-Lin, Harden, Parsons, Asik, in the starting lineup. Let's see how D-MO , Machado, and Jones pan out. Then we pick up JJ Reddick, a veteran PG, and either (Josh Smith, Paul Milsapp, or Al Jefferson.

Starting Lineup-
              J-Lin
              Harden
              Parsons
              Asik/D-MO
              Smith/Jefferson/Milsapp

Secondary-
              Veteran PG
              JJ Reddick
              Patterson
              Morris
              Delfino