Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (18 April 2019 - 03:41 PM) I agree slick.
@  slick shoes : (17 April 2019 - 01:02 PM) Boogie was their answer to our run in the WCF last year. When we cover all of their shooters they can dump it to Cousins who has a physical advantage over Clint and can also shoot the 3 which pulls him from the rim. They still have Bogut but this takes them back to the W's of last year which our team has shown to match up well against with full strength.
@  Mario Peña : (16 April 2019 - 08:50 PM) I think in a general sense you are correct Johnny. Getting specific to the Rockets though I think we have the personnel to wear Curry down defensively and offensively so for the Rockets could the exit of Cousins be a good thing? To me Cousins also presented a possible matchup wrinkle the Rockets have had to figure out, maybe?
@  thejohnnygold : (16 April 2019 - 04:47 PM) The Cousins injury is very interesting...Not sure if it helps or hurts them. My theory has always been the less Curry shoots the better it is for their opponent. This could lead to more Curry shooting :(
@  redfaithful : (16 April 2019 - 02:59 PM) Is it time to start the discussion which team is more dangerous as the Rockets 2nd round opponent? :D
@  slick shoes : (16 April 2019 - 12:58 PM) Nice win for the Rocke.... Clippers last night. Good to see Bev, Sweet Lou and Trez shining.
@  thejohnnygold : (13 April 2019 - 12:06 AM) I am very much looking forward to the playoffs. I like our chances.
@  thejohnnygold : (13 April 2019 - 12:05 AM) I agree 100%. Still, if that shot rims out...
@  DenverRocket : (12 April 2019 - 02:27 AM) I'd say the slow start was more to blame than a single 3-pointer (we shouldn't have allowed them to get into that position in the first place). Anyway, embrace the challenge I say- bring on the Jazz!
@  thejohnnygold : (11 April 2019 - 02:23 PM) It's hard to accept that one Paul George 3-pointer had that big of an effect on our postseason.
@  slick shoes : (10 April 2019 - 12:21 PM) boy, we really crapped the bed on that one.
@  redfaithful : (09 April 2019 - 09:40 AM) The potential 2nd round series against DEN just got a lot more interesting... https://twitter.com/...384573762760704
@  slick shoes : (04 April 2019 - 06:20 PM) Barring any injuries I think we have a shot. Without Nurk and CJ, they won't be able to contend for anything.
@  thejohnnygold : (04 April 2019 - 06:11 PM) I'm starting to get pretty excited about this team. Also, why does it seem like no one is talking about Portland?
@  slick shoes : (29 March 2019 - 12:54 PM) Nice win last night against the two seed Nugs.
@  Mario Peña : (13 March 2019 - 08:50 PM) Great to see the good news continues. Morey, Beard and Mike need to stay together.
@  slick shoes : (13 March 2019 - 05:28 PM) Morey is back for another 5 years.
@  Losthief : (13 March 2019 - 07:40 AM) well house is back according to macmahon. I am about 10x less excited about this as i would of been two months ago.
@  thejohnnygold : (04 March 2019 - 03:14 PM) A worthwhile read about Harden and the step-back 3.
@  slick shoes : (22 February 2019 - 09:52 PM) Hopefully playing with some talent will bring back the old form.

Photo

2018 FA Thread

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#21 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:54 PM

Reports are that Kawhi now no longer wants to go to the Lakers, but would prefer the Clippers instead. The Clips have nothing to offer as far as trade assets, so that opens the market a bit. Kawhi not wanting to play with LeBron would suggest that he would prefer not to come here and play 2nd fiddle to James Harden, but at least the door is cracked?

when you win two games in a row that's called a winning streak.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#22 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,137 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 July 2018 - 05:23 PM

Romona Shelbourne saying on ESPN that Clint is leading towards the Qualifying and gambling. Makes me wonder what the hell we offered him. I mean...and following that logic and Ariza, how much is Fertitta really willing to spend.

Eh, I think it may have to do with the market.  I am sure Morey would have matched just about any offer he accepted.  He likes to let the market dictate value; however, this year the money dried up.  It's a smart move for Clint to wait and see what next year has.  I don't think it is because we aren't "showing him the love", or anything like that.

Fertitta would be a fool to step in here and immediately start mucking it up by being cheap and, essentially, crushing our chances of competing.  The city would turn on him in a heartbeat which would not only affect his basketball business--it would affect ALL of his businesses.  He'd be in the poorhouse within a year  :lol:

He seems smart enough to realize this.  I guess we'll see.

#23 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,137 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 July 2018 - 05:28 PM

Reports are that Kawhi now no longer wants to go to the Lakers, but would prefer the Clippers instead. The Clips have nothing to offer as far as trade assets, so that opens the market a bit. Kawhi not wanting to play with LeBron would suggest that he would prefer not to come here and play 2nd fiddle to James Harden, but at least the door is cracked?

I really don't know what to think here, but I will say this: the fact that Kawhi won't step forward and speak for himself really bothers me.  As great as he is--I'm officially done with him.  Good riddance.

Think about it this way--he managed to shake up the Spurs' locker room.  That place had been airtight since 1999 or so...heck, maybe since Dennis Rodman was there!  There is something to be said about that...

#24 DenverRocket

DenverRocket

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 July 2018 - 05:42 PM

Well OKC just announced that they're working out how to part ways with Melo, so I expect we'll be in the mix if he's available for the veterans minimum.

Also, KOQ has gone to the pacers, and apparently we've been sniffing around Nick Young!?!

"I could never understand national or ethnic pride, 'cos to me pride should be preserved for something you achieve or attain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth!" - George Carlin.

#25 Noah

Noah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 03:29 PM

@JG @Slick Shoes

I thought I was the only one who thought this way. I cannot believe the lack of criticism towards Kawhi. I mean, imagine if Harden did something like this; the national media would be all over him. This situation makes me appreciate the loyalty of Harden and the people upstairs for taking care of him. As for Kawhi, I’m also done with him. Who wants to fork up their entire roster for a guy who quits on his team, doesn’t have the audacity and respect to communicate with his team, and who still has a major concern with the leg injury. The only silver-lining here is that at least he wants to be the alpha of his own team and not join a superteam like these other stars.

@DenverRocket

I’m all in for Melo. Hopefully if or when he gets bought out, we can split the tax payer MLE (5.3mil) between Melo and Luc. The next step would be to sign Capela, and trade Ryno for either a Bazemore, Crabbe, or Matthews. Then, I’d feel very comfortable “running it back”.

#26 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 04:14 PM

How quickly things turn....San Antonio and Popovich were considered at a higher level than anyone else in the NBA for quite a few years. Argueably, quite a few would have been more than happy to say several levels above the next NBA franchise for so many years.

How quickly they have fallen. Kawhi wants out and is not going to be in a Spurs uniform as far as I can see. Apparently the issue with his thigh injury crossed the line. Just reminds me how close we came to losing Olajuwon just before we won back to back Championships. The NBA is a much different league now than back in the 1990's. Otherwise, if Olajuwon had the same disagreements today, no chance he would have remained a Rocket.

Everyone considered the Spurs organization to be heads and shoulders above anyone and everyone else for many years. Just shows what Pop and Tim Duncan were able to accomplish and I honestly don't think that will ever happen again in the NBA going forward with Free Agency and these 9 figure guaranteed contracts.

The Rockets are in a special place at this moment. All of us should take a minute to appreciate that because this is going to be difficult going forward not only here but everywhere for a time period as long as that enjoyed by Spurs fans with Duncan and Pop in my opinion.

#27 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,137 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 July 2018 - 02:48 PM

Nothing new really....Apparently, Melo's people were hanging out with Morey and D'Antoni last night while the Rockets beat GS in Summer league.  I'm starting to get scared that this thing is happening.  Melo, at least these days, is a paper tiger.  His presence does not elevate teams.  He has not been "Melo" since he was in Denver.  Don't take my word for it.  Just look at this fancy chart I stole from Basketball Reference:

XPgczOG.jpg

Look at how much less he gets to the basket--that's a big deal.  Look at all the mid-range shots he takes and how low his fg%'s are.  He's a high volume, shot-gobbling, offense-sinking, no-passing, "Star" who plays poor defense.  What on Earth would we want him for?  He would sell tickets and merchandise, but he would kill us once the playoffs arrived.  Let's not forget--even Billy Donovan benched him last season.

Melo is 34.  It's over.  I would rather see Morey give Amare Stoudemire a chance than give Melo even one cent to don a Rockets jersey.  I know I've waffled on this subject, but I'm not waffling anymore.  SAY "NO" TO MELO.

I would rather see us drag guys up from the G League.  Young, hungry, scrappy players who aren't resting on their laurels.  Heck, if we're going to get a ball-hogging scorer let's go get Michael Beasley.  He's made huge strides in his game and, deployed properly, could help us give the Warriors fits on offense.  Oh, you've got Draymond at center?  Well, let me introduce you to our 6' 9" scoring machine, Michael Beasley.  Have fun, Draymond.  On defense, he will be able to stay in front of Draymond--which is the one thing you have to do.

I doubt we have the money, but if he was willing to take the MLE I'd gladly have him back.  I think he's finally healthy and is going to really show up next season for whoever signs him.  FYI, he has quietly shot 40% from deep over the past two seasons.  He's a solid rebounder (under-rated skill).  He can play 4 positions (eh, he can play SG...why not?  Positions hardly matter anymore).

So, who's with me?   B)  It's either Ryan Anderson, Mbah a Moute, or...Player to be named later...

#28 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 July 2018 - 03:22 PM

@JG @Slick Shoes

I thought I was the only one who thought this way. I cannot believe the lack of criticism towards Kawhi. I mean, imagine if Harden did something like this; the national media would be all over him. This situation makes me appreciate the loyalty of Harden and the people upstairs for taking care of him. As for Kawhi, I’m also done with him. Who wants to fork up their entire roster for a guy who quits on his team, doesn’t have the audacity and respect to communicate with his team, and who still has a major concern with the leg injury. The only silver-lining here is that at least he wants to be the alpha of his own team and not join a superteam like these other stars.

While I agree with you guys on all of your points, I am trying to figure out who will be guarding KD or Lebron in the playoffs. Kawhi won't be playing in Houston next season, but we need to find a solid 3 somewhere somehow. Tyreke Evans would have been my choice in FA, but that ship has sailed. 

Nothing new really....Apparently, Melo's people were hanging out with Morey and D'Antoni last night while the Rockets beat GS in Summer league.  I'm starting to get scared that this thing is happening.  Melo, at least these days, is a paper tiger.  His presence does not elevate teams.  He has not been "Melo" since he was in Denver.  Don't take my word for it.  Just look at this fancy chart I stole from Basketball Reference:

XPgczOG.jpg

Look at how much less he gets to the basket--that's a big deal.  Look at all the mid-range shots he takes and how low his fg%'s are.  He's a high volume, shot-gobbling, offense-sinking, no-passing, "Star" who plays poor defense.  What on Earth would we want him for?  He would sell tickets and merchandise, but he would kill us once the playoffs arrived.  Let's not forget--even Billy Donovan benched him last season.

Melo is 34.  It's over.  I would rather see Morey give Amare Stoudemire a chance than give Melo even one cent to don a Rockets jersey.  I know I've waffled on this subject, but I'm not waffling anymore.  SAY "NO" TO MELO.

I would rather see us drag guys up from the G League.  Young, hungry, scrappy players who aren't resting on their laurels.  Heck, if we're going to get a ball-hogging scorer let's go get Michael Beasley.  He's made huge strides in his game and, deployed properly, could help us give the Warriors fits on offense.  Oh, you've got Draymond at center?  Well, let me introduce you to our 6' 9" scoring machine, Michael Beasley.  Have fun, Draymond.  On defense, he will be able to stay in front of Draymond--which is the one thing you have to do.

I doubt we have the money, but if he was willing to take the MLE I'd gladly have him back.  I think he's finally healthy and is going to really show up next season for whoever signs him.  FYI, he has quietly shot 40% from deep over the past two seasons.  He's a solid rebounder (under-rated skill).  He can play 4 positions (eh, he can play SG...why not?  Positions hardly matter anymore).

So, who's with me?   B)  It's either Ryan Anderson, Mbah a Moute, or...Player to be named later...

I was discussing this with a colleague yesterday. How is this man still getting paid this much? The name alone? Hoodie Melo videos from summer pick up games? I see the friendship aspect of bringing him here, but for all of the reasons I mentioned when we were first courting Melo pre OKC signing, I will pass. He adds nothing to our roster points wise or leadership wise. Go play with LeBron and don't win any rings. 

I have read several places that if Morey is unable to move Ryan Anderson's contract by the start of the season that Tillman will buy him out to clear the way for the future. Imagine being paid $40 million to NOT play for a team. What a time to be alive. 

#29 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 03:56 PM

#30 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 04:03 PM

I agree with JG,

Let Carmelo enjoy the remainder of his career in La La land.

I have this funny feeling that the Rockets are hanging on to the $5.3 mlllion MLE until Carmelo settles someplace else.

Moute, to his credit, held a soccer camp over the weekend here in Houston for youngsters. Leads me to believe he still prefers to be in H-town for the upcoming season. He deserves more than the minimum in my opinion, just not sure about the full MLE though. 

Only time will tell. I am pretty certain that Moute will end up with the Rockets and not Carmelo though. Unless the Lakers tell Carmelo to go fly a kite.......Even then I believe Moute will be a Rocket.

Just have to be patient and let these things work out.

#31 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,137 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:59 PM

I was just thinking about how the tables have turned...

Ariza and Melo have been in the league almost the same amount of time.  Ariza has pretty much (aside from a brief period we won't talk about) always been a role player while Anthony came in a star and has maintained that status...until now.

Ariza just inked a 1-year $15M deal while Anthony will most likely be signing for $5M or less.  That kind of says it all, doesn't it?

I'm still curious about this guy who was shooting 55% from deep over in Europe.  Your defense has to be pretty bad to not get a look in the NBA if you're shooting like that.  Speaking of bad defense...Isaiah Thomas is just sitting out there....Thomas and Gordon running that second unit?  Worse things have happened...

#32 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 July 2018 - 07:24 PM

I was just thinking about how the tables have turned...

Ariza and Melo have been in the league almost the same amount of time.  Ariza has pretty much (aside from a brief period we won't talk about) always been a role player while Anthony came in a star and has maintained that status...until now.

Ariza just inked a 1-year $15M deal while Anthony will most likely be signing for $5M or less.  That kind of says it all, doesn't it?

I think Trevor was brought over to show those young bucks on the Suns how to be a professional. IMO he is more of a player-coach for them than someone they brought in to boost their win shares. I can't think of a better candidate for that role and I'm happy he is still garnering that amount at this point in his career. 

The sad part is, you don't even get THAT from Melo. Would he even be willing to come off the bench as D'Antoni suggested and lead the 2nd unit? He wasn't willing in OKC, so why would it be different here? 

Speaking of bad defense...Isaiah Thomas is just sitting out there....Thomas and Gordon running that second unit?  Worse things have happened...

I've got to imagine there is WAY more wrong with his hip than anyone ever guessed. For a player of his talent to be benched and bounced out of Cleveland and LA, and then hiccup after hiccup getting signed to a team that clearly desperately needs him......

I wonder how many players in the future will play through an injury due to team loyalty? 

#33 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:29 PM

At this point Id rather bring Harrel back than get Melo, at least you can rely on him to play hard.

Thomas is kind of interesting but would almost certainly be run off the court in the playoffs, so I'd rather just see Melton get those regular season min and see how he develops.

Looking over the wing market is rough, barring a trade looks like best case we bring back LRM and take a flier on a couple guys through the year and hope one pans out.

#34 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,137 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:51 PM

I think Trevor was brought over to show those young bucks on the Suns how to be a professional. IMO he is more of a player-coach for them than someone they brought in to boost their win shares. I can't think of a better candidate for that role and I'm happy he is still garnering that amount at this point in his career. 

The sad part is, you don't even get THAT from Melo. Would he even be willing to come off the bench as D'Antoni suggested and lead the 2nd unit? He wasn't willing in OKC, so why would it be different here? 

I've got to imagine there is WAY more wrong with his hip than anyone ever guessed. For a player of his talent to be benched and bounced out of Cleveland and LA, and then hiccup after hiccup getting signed to a team that clearly desperately needs him......

I wonder how many players in the future will play through an injury due to team loyalty? 

Ask Jermaine O'Neal...he spoke out about it quite a bit...people forget.

That's the one thing I thought Kawhi had in his favor during his "holdout".  However, it seems now that wasn't the case and, if it was, he should have been more vocal about it.  He has a lot to protect and coming back early in a year that had not just Golden State, but our own Rockets as well, all but assured of defeating his Spurs would not be wise long-term.

@Cooper - I'm with you.  I hated seeing Harrell go and would welcome him back.  We've still got Onuaku down in RGV who is doing pretty well.  

#35 Losthief

Losthief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:52 PM

I officially give up trying to predict this front office...i don't know what they are doing with the small forward minutes unless we are just going to run the paul, gordon, harden line-up 24/7. Which healthwise still doesn't make sense to me. Maybe Luc's shoulder is just that bad....if so I feel bad for the man.

I'm fine with Melo @ the 5 if he is cheap. If he is willing to set picks and pops/rolls he'll be effective as a offensive backup 5. But must be cheap and willing. Also would not cry if he did not come here. And I agree Beasley could fill that role easily.

SF I still see out there: Jamis Ennis and Wayne Elilngton (he's a SG but might be able to slide up). i heard Nick Young's name about us...but he's just Gerald Green who loves coke imho. Or the young guys/rookies/foreign guys....I'm a bit worried but trying to wait and see.

I'd like us to take a look at Harrell but he is restricted. Still what are we saving the MLE for.....Melo? that is too much imo.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#36 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:13 AM

Innovative new strategy of having no wingmen. I really hope a trade is coming, Ennis is a nice backup but minus starter and Young should be playing in China.

#37 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,137 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:30 AM

Well, Isaiah Hartenstein was listed at SF in the last Summer league game... :unsure:

Woj is reporting we're all in on Melo...So, I guess it's time to start moving through the stages of grief.  Fivethirtyeight.com has this to say about Melo's future potential:

4KBdQjI.png

Ha!  He's got a -$0.3M value!

Apparently, when they all said "run it back" they meant with different players?  That's not how that works...

We're gonna end up with Jamal Crawford and Melo  :(

#38 Noah

Noah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:36 AM

Still early, but if all we end up with is Melo on the MLE and Capela on a QO, with Ryno still on the books, this off-season is a complete dumpster fire.

#39 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,137 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 July 2018 - 02:47 PM

I'm likely allowing my emotions to affect me right now...going to try and be more rational.

Ignoring the Melo part--which I am still trying to make peace with--we have also added Michael Carter-Williams.  Assuming he can bring some energy to defense he has a great body to defend the perimeter, he can switch everything, and, offensively, we get a ball-handler who can create a little for others and maybe, just maybe, knock down a corner 3.  That takes some of the sting out of losing Moute/Ariza.  (The reality is we are going to watch him slowly build a house on our court....brick by brick by brick...)

So, we've got Harden, CP3, Gordon, MCW, Gerald Green, and Tucker (who can play 2-5...which is nice) plus Melton

In the front court we've got "Contract Year" Capela, Nene, Anderson, Melo (maybe), and possibly Tarik Black plus Onuaku, Hartenstein, and Zhou.

I do think Zhou sees floor time this year, but we need to play him at SF because he just does not have the body to play inside with the big boys.  That's ok though because it suits his skill set better.  He is better playing as a weak-side/help defender.  He can launch 3's or cut to the rim for easy scores.  His size makes him a formidable perimeter defender (at least for team defense--which we now play).

Besides, we've got gritty rebounders like Tucker to pick up the slack.

Jeff Bzdelik proved his coaching chops last year by creating and implementing a near-perfect plan to beat an "unbeatable" team.  He can get these guys in shape by the time the playoffs roll around.

De'Anthony Melton is going to be good.  Hopefully, he can crack the rotation because I think we need to get him minutes early and often.

I know it feels like we're moving in the wrong direction, but we're still loaded.  We're still one of the top teams in the NBA.  Let's see what kind of rabbit Morey pulls out of his hat.  One thing we know for certain--he's not just sitting on his hands.

#40 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:02 PM

Capela and his agent expect like $80-$85 miillion for the next 4 years. To Roll to the bucket for a wide open dunk. And an occasional block n the lane in this era of non- paint finishers like Kareem and so, so, so many others..... Capela is not Olajuwon. Not even close. Has anybody witnessed a fade away shot from Capela 10 feet or less from the lane? Just saying.........

The Rockets have placed more than $50 million for 4 years on the table. Nobody chooses to report that fact.

That's a lot of money and I really don't know what else to say or comment on at this time.......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users