Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  slick shoes : (11 May 2019 - 02:07 AM) turnovers and missed free throws the theme of the game thus far. throwing away endless points.
@  thejohnnygold : (09 May 2019 - 01:35 PM) I wish we had found a way to steal that game...it was there for the taking.
@  Mario Peña : (01 May 2019 - 04:09 AM) Is it me or does Capela look in over his head? Why is this happening now?
@  Mario Peña : (26 April 2019 - 09:14 PM) Imagine how much it ticks off Beverly, Harrell and Williams.
@  slick shoes : (25 April 2019 - 09:58 PM) Power move by the Rockets. We travel to Oakland ahead of their next game with the assumption that GSW wins. This gives LAC bulletin board material for the game.
@  thejohnnygold : (24 April 2019 - 01:47 PM) We needed to dust off Nene either way...I think that's the way to go.
@  Mario Peña : (23 April 2019 - 09:48 PM) I wonder if kicking the tires on Nene would be beneficial. Some Nene PNR and board crashing in short stints could help against Gobert/Favors.
@  slick shoes : (23 April 2019 - 09:26 PM) Going to have to dig deep tomorrow night with Clint limited. Will be curious to see how the coaching staff adjusts to their new formula. Perhaps driving in to Gobert and getting him in early foul trouble.
@  Mario Peña : (18 April 2019 - 03:41 PM) I agree slick.
@  slick shoes : (17 April 2019 - 01:02 PM) Boogie was their answer to our run in the WCF last year. When we cover all of their shooters they can dump it to Cousins who has a physical advantage over Clint and can also shoot the 3 which pulls him from the rim. They still have Bogut but this takes them back to the W's of last year which our team has shown to match up well against with full strength.
@  Mario Peña : (16 April 2019 - 08:50 PM) I think in a general sense you are correct Johnny. Getting specific to the Rockets though I think we have the personnel to wear Curry down defensively and offensively so for the Rockets could the exit of Cousins be a good thing? To me Cousins also presented a possible matchup wrinkle the Rockets have had to figure out, maybe?
@  thejohnnygold : (16 April 2019 - 04:47 PM) The Cousins injury is very interesting...Not sure if it helps or hurts them. My theory has always been the less Curry shoots the better it is for their opponent. This could lead to more Curry shooting :(
@  redfaithful : (16 April 2019 - 02:59 PM) Is it time to start the discussion which team is more dangerous as the Rockets 2nd round opponent? :D
@  slick shoes : (16 April 2019 - 12:58 PM) Nice win for the Rocke.... Clippers last night. Good to see Bev, Sweet Lou and Trez shining.
@  thejohnnygold : (13 April 2019 - 12:06 AM) I am very much looking forward to the playoffs. I like our chances.
@  thejohnnygold : (13 April 2019 - 12:05 AM) I agree 100%. Still, if that shot rims out...
@  DenverRocket : (12 April 2019 - 02:27 AM) I'd say the slow start was more to blame than a single 3-pointer (we shouldn't have allowed them to get into that position in the first place). Anyway, embrace the challenge I say- bring on the Jazz!
@  thejohnnygold : (11 April 2019 - 02:23 PM) It's hard to accept that one Paul George 3-pointer had that big of an effect on our postseason.
@  slick shoes : (10 April 2019 - 12:21 PM) boy, we really crapped the bed on that one.
@  redfaithful : (09 April 2019 - 09:40 AM) The potential 2nd round series against DEN just got a lot more interesting... https://twitter.com/...384573762760704

Photo

Dwight Howard Free Agency Watch

• Please log in to reply
574 replies to this topic

#521 Guest_Red94_*

Guest_Red94_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

New post: Dwight Howard Free Agency Watch: Part 11
By: rahat huq

Follow me on Twitter where I'm much better about updating throughout the day.

Well, here we are - Part 11.  Supposedly, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Howard's decision could come this Friday.  I'm still waiting for confirmation from Buster Olney.

In seriousness, if true, I wouldn't at all be shocked if we got some sort of leak regarding the announcement by sometime today.  If you're Howard, you might want to bury the immediate maelstrom on a holiday and duck for cover.  So have your Tweetdeck's out and handy.  There, I just ruined your 4th of July.

This is it.  After nearly two full years of discussion surrounding Dwight Howard, we are going to have a decision likely by week's end.  By the time you all go back to work on Monday, this Rockets team may have become a title contender overnight.  Boy am I going to be depressed if he heads elsewhere.

I think Golden State is out.  The logistics would seem awkward and don't seem to make much sense.  He'll be making his decision but then would have to get the Lakers to cooperate in a deal?  Something like, "I've decided on the Warriors....uhh, by the way, would you mind giving me a hand?"  That'd be really odd and I think we would have already heard wind of the machinations by now.  To get to Golden State, Howard has to threaten to leave to Houston/Dallas outright first, to get the Lakers to play ball, and I think we would have already heard about those discussions by now from someone in one of the camps.  But if he could somehow make it work, I wouldn't fault him.  Golden State, like Houston, is a great basketball situation with a rabid fanbase.  He'd also be taking less money to play for a winner.  (Remember that with the new S&T rules, a player cannot be signed and traded for the same amount as if he signed with his original team.  Yet unlike Dallas/Houston, Howard would not benefit from Texas tax laws.)

If he remains with L.A., we'll know he suffers from Stockholm, especially after what reportedly was said to him in the other day's meeting by Kobe Bryant.  I just don't know how one can return to a team with a guy that point-blank accused him of faking an injury, publicly, showed no remorse, and then followed up with more patronizing in his final pitch.  But hey, L.A.'s one hell of a place to live if you're rich.

Dallas is a similar situation, like L.A., where if he signs on, he'll waste yet another year of his precious prime.  A colleague last year wrote a seminar paper on sports agents and fiduciary ethics and if Dan Fegan is able to successfully steer his client towards good friend Mark Cuban, that'll be yet another prime case study into the topic.  This is really a matter which isn't discussed nearly enough in the media, but while it probably doesn't have any social harm, the power held by some of the more prominent agent in brokering their clients against said clients' pecuniary interests is something that really needs to be addressed by each of the three respective major sports leagues.  But with pathetically weak players' unions --which couldn't crawl to begin with sans agency representation--and the league itself likely not giving a damn, fat chance on that ever happening.

Houston is hands down the best situation for Dwight Howard from any objective angle.

If he comes, he'll be crucified, and I think that's sad.  What does he owe the Lakers?  He's a free agent who served the duration of his employment contract.  It will be said that he left the team high and dry with nothing after they gave up so much to get him.  False.  The value the Lakers gave up to get Howard (Andrew Bynum) was adjusted with implicit recognition of the risk involved with respect to him leaving.  In example, they only were able to get him to begin with because he had 1 year remaining on his deal.  If there was no risk of Howard leaving, they couldn't have gotten him for just Bynum.  The risk was an inherent component of the deal.

But of course, if he leaves, all of that will be ignored and we'll end up getting dumber from the discourse that ensues.  That's usually the case with these things.

#522 Jeby

Jeby

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:08 PM

<br /><br /><p>\"Teach him to be a champion?\" That\'s rich, Kobe.<br />
Bryant would do the same thing to Howard that he has done to Shaq and Gasol/Bynum: ride the league\'s most dominant frontcourt to a championship, and then take the credit. The 6-24 game and ensuing Finals MVP is a microcosm of Kobe\'s career.<br />
McHale actually has a track record of mentoring and teaching guys like Kevin Garnett and Kevin Love to take their games to the next level.<br />
The only big man you could argue that Kobe ever mentored was Bynum, a physically gifted train wreck.</p>

#523 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
  • 2,440 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:19 PM

Below is the Rose Report with Jalen Rose and David Jacoby and 46 minutes into it they go into what Kobe's approach with Dwight would be and I think they nailed it a month before the meetings. I agree, I don't believe Bryant helped the cause.

http://cdn16.castfir...dcasts/_/page/4

#524 Guest_Red94_*

Guest_Red94_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:04 PM

New post: Dwight Howard Free Agency Watch: Part 12

https://twitter.com/Chris_Broussard/status/352833006400053248

What a shocker.  Only in Kobe's mind could that possibly have been a good idea...

#525 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:33 PM

Could it be possible that Kobe is actually trying to drive DH away? We all know he doesn't really get along with Howard and has advocated for keeping Gasol....is it possible?

#526 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
  • 2,440 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:10 PM

No, I believe Kobe believes he is correct. With his religious knowledge of the game past and present and his obsessive physical dedication to his basketball regimen he is blinded by his own righteousness. He could never see it from Dwight's point of view especially considering the age difference and differences in the way they approach the game. Kobe is maniacal tunnel vision personified.

#527 datruth

datruth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:21 AM

sign and trade makes sense. lakers sign d-12 and then trade him to the rockets for lin/asik. I think both teams get something and it makes sense.

#528 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:45 AM

The Warriors are making a run apparantly, I think there's some plausibility in them making it work but boy it's a hard road and they still need to flip a lot more moves after that to make a proper team around him and Curry after (since I suspect they would need to trade Klay and Barnes to get Diwght.)

#529 Guest_Red94_*

Guest_Red94_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:39 AM

New post: Dwight Howard Free Agency Watch: Part 13

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/353020723368955905

Follow me on Twitter where I'm able to provide much more frequent commentary on these developments.

I thought we'd hear something final by last night, but I was wrong.  The big story from yesterday pertained to ongoing reports of a Warriors late push to shed the money necessary to sign Howard outright so that they wouldn't need the Lakers to participate in a sign&trade.  This led many to speculate that perhaps the Warriors had received word of Howard's preference.  Pretty late in the night, Marc Stein reported that a) some rival executives believe that the Warriors will be capable of clearing the necessary cap space and b) the Lakers have become open to S&T possibilities.

First, there's no need to panic.  None of the reports indicate that Howard yet has shown any preference.  This most likely is just a push by the Warriors to even give themselves a shot at this thing.  Secondly, to sign Howard outright, the Warriors would have to unload the salaries of Andrew Bogut, Andris Biedrins, and Richard Jefferson.  While they're all expiring, if this was a feasible task, don't you think it would have been accomplished already, earlier in the summer?  The Warriors knew they'd be pursuing Howard.  I'd go so far as to say that making this happen would be close to impossible especially given the duress circumstances in which the Warriors find themselves.  (This shows the importance of planning, years in advance.  Things would sure be easier for Golden State had they not wasted their one-time amnesty provision on Charlie Bell.)

The real threat is the fact that the Lakers reportedly might be amenable to sign&trades.  The question though is how much are the Warriors willing to give up to make this happen.  I saw a report that the Lakers would only consider Thompson AND Barnes, but who knows if that's credible.  If it's just one of those two players, obviously the Warriors jump.  And then the question becomes whether some package surrounding Asik and/or Lin is preferable, especially given the '14 consequences.  This whole thing is a mess but the important thing to keep in mind is that none of these reports pertain to any indication given from Howard.  It's just the teams themselves bracing for the possibilities.

Next, I truly wonder if Dwight Howard understands that to get him, the Warriors would have to give up a major piece of their rotation.  This goes back to that fiduciary duty theme I've been writing about.  And you laugh when I say that, thinking, "come on, he's not that dumb" but it's completely possible.  I think back to some years ago when Tracy McGrady was being interviewed about his time in Orlando on some Houston radio station.  The host was asking him about his time with the Magic and he said something along the lines of, "they never gave me any help while I was there but then the year I left they went out and got Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley."  Huh?    Yeah.  Some of these players are that out of touch and from the reports, I'm not completely sure that they're getting the best advice from those who are supposed to be acting in positions of trust.  But I'll digress.  I'm not going to bore you with legal ethics when you're already about to lose it from anxiety.

We're most likely going to hear a decision by sometime today.  Remember, while the Lakers very well may now be willing to engage in sign&trade talks, this comes down to Howard himself.  Where does he want to go?  If he wants to walk to Houston, he can go there outright.  And the interesting thing is that Howard has kept his mouth shut, giving no signs.  The big man has seemed to learn from the past, staying off Twitter and according himself professionally throughout this process.  He very well may already have made up his mind a few days ago.

I won't give a prediction but it seems the Lakers are out.  Thank you, Kobe.  If Howard wants the Warriors, I can't fault him.  We'll just have to wait and see.  I just hope he realizes it's not that full squad (meaning all three of Curry, Barnes, and Thompson) whom he'll be playing with.

Howard or not, the one thing I will predict is that regardless of what happens today, the Rockets will come to terms quickly with Josh Smith by the end of the weekend.  I don't know how I feel about that, but that's a topic that's already been beaten to death.

#530 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,144 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

Your Tracy McGrady anecdote is poignant.  It's almost unbelievable...which is disconcerting.  We cannot presume Dwight is thinking for himself nor can we presume that is a good idea to begin with.  That's an awful thing to say about a person; yet, it seems to be the truth.

I can see the appeal of playing under Mark Jackson and alongside Steph Curry....maybe he's a Raiders fan too...

I will be shocked if the Warriors can pull off a trade that gives them cap space while retaining Curry, Barnes, and Thompson.

I hope that Morey calls this bluff and doesn't let the Lakers leverage this scenario into nabbing Lin + Asik from us in a sign & trade when we could have gotten Dwight for free.  I know that if I were Jim Buss that is exactly what I would try...tell Morey that he is going to take the Warriors offer unless he gives up Lin + Asik.  I think we're safe--Morey seems like a good poker player.

If Dwight chooses GS then so be it.  I think they will come out weaker for it--I view them (meaning their current roster) as the Rockets' main competition for the next 4-5 years...moreso than Oklahoma City.

#531 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
  • 2,440 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:42 PM

Here is ESPN's latest 5 on 5 (with our own Huq leading off) concerning the Dwightstakes:

http://m.espn.go.com...265&src=desktop

#532 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

good article Rahut. I agree there is a lot of talk going on, but none of it coming from Howard and right now his view is all that matters in this situation

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

#533 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

Perhaps the GS buzz is legit,but the cynic in me sees it differently.

GS has two dreadful contracts in Jefferson and Biedrins they could never unload,costing them Landry and Jack because ownership doesn't want to go into Lux Tax.

All of a sudden they create a buzz that they can move the players because they're chasing Dwight. Teams that in a bazillion yrs would never take on these players,now just might go hmmm,won't hurt to call and see what I might get.

#534 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:02 PM

Howard will remain a Laker, he will fall for the kobe pressure. Even though I think what Kobe said was a "penis" move.

#535 Guest_Red94_*

Guest_Red94_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:27 PM

New post: Dwight Howard Free Agency Watch: Part 14

https://twitter.com/janiscarr/status/353209695307182081

https://twitter.com/janiscarr/status/353217156453908480

This whole debacle has caused a greater loss of economic production than the Lost Decade.

I'm not even going to bother typing anything else out for this segment...

#536 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:30 PM

Perhaps the GS buzz is legit,but the cynic in me sees it differently.

GS has two dreadful contracts in Jefferson and Biedrins they could never unload,costing them Landry and Jack because ownership doesn't want to go into Lux Tax.

All of a sudden they create a buzz that they can move the players because they're chasing Dwight. Teams that in a bazillion yrs would never take on these players,now just might go hmmm,won't hurt to call and see what I might get.

agree. I think it's proper to give Morey a mention here..........I was looking at golden states salary structure and by next year they will be a real threat to sign a max player.........however thanks to Morey our rebuild plan is a year ahead of theirs. Morey continues to show why he is one of the best GM's in the league.

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

#537 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
  • 2,440 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:05 PM

It seems like Golden State is conceding with them now removing Bogut from any trade talks. Furthermore it would seem that Houston is now the destination that will be announced when Dwight satisfies his thirst for twitter followers. In the future Golden State is now an automatic trade partner if something were to go wrong with Dwight but I do not think that will be the case. I love seeing the Rockets getting the last laugh with Jackson.

#538 Drew in Abilene

Drew in Abilene

• Moderators
  • 301 posts
  • LocationAbilene

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:13 PM

My stomach is in knots. I haven't frantically checked ESPN and twitter in my life. I sure hope Howard decides and announces today, because if not, my weekend and my nerves will be shot...

#539 LMAOwais

LMAOwais

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationHoustonish

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:44 PM

My stomach is in knots. I haven't frantically checked ESPN and twitter in my life. I sure hope Howard decides and announces today, because if not, my weekend and my nerves will be shot...

Amen, if anything this whole circus show has taught me is that I am more emotionally vested in this organization than is healthy for a sane individual.

#540 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:48 PM

Amen, if anything this whole circus show has taught me is that I am more emotionally vested in this organization than is healthy for a sane individual.

correct :lol: I may have to take a deeper look at that :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users