This post is an addendum to ‘An Explanation of the Houston Rockets’ Salary Cap Situation.’
What does BRI entail?
Basketball Related Income (BRI) essentially includes any income received by the NBA, NBA Properties or NBA Media Ventures. This includes:
- Regular season gate receipts
- Broadcast rights
- Exhibition game proceeds
- Playoff gate receipts
- Novelty, program and concession sales (at the arena and in team-identified stores within proximity of an NBA arena)
- Proceeds from team sponsorships
- Proceeds from team promotions
- Arena club revenues
- Proceeds from summer camps
- Proceeds from non-NBA basketball tournaments
- Proceeds from mascot and dance team appearances
- Proceeds from beverage sale rights
- 40% of proceeds from arena signage
- 40% of proceeds from luxury suites
- 45% – 50% of proceeds from arena naming rights
- Proceeds from other premium seat licenses
- Proceeds received by NBA Properties, including international television, sponsorships, revenues from NBA Entertainment, the All-Star Game, the McDonald’s Championship and other NBA special events.
Some of the things specifically not included in BRI are proceeds from the grant of expansion teams, fines, and revenue sharing (e.g. luxury tax).