Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  rocketrick : (10 June 2018 - 09:35 AM) Up for Debate. It is OK. The Author has some interesting points in his commentary but this Rockets site is dying because apparently the author is also thin skinned and not willing to open up further discussion.
@  Losthief : (09 June 2018 - 03:37 AM) I think that was a forbes article...i don't know the rules for copy pasting it wholesale...but im guessing not allowed.
@  rocketrick : (07 June 2018 - 11:17 PM) Still don't see the Capela article but I will comment on that if that should ever appear to comment upon. Still, Capela averaging a double/double with a number of highlight reel blocked shots during the series, well, I am still speechless what the author attempted to convey regarding Capela. He certainly didn't cause us to lose to the Warriors by any stretch......
@  thejohnnygold : (06 June 2018 - 03:15 PM) Got ya fixed, Rick. FYI, you can create these posts as well. Just start a new topic and copy+paste the article text.
@  rocketrick : (05 June 2018 - 07:47 PM) Speechless
@  rocketrick : (05 June 2018 - 07:46 PM) Who only averaged a double-double during the 7 game slugfest
@  rocketrick : (05 June 2018 - 07:46 PM) What an author states in an article..... in this case regarding Capela
@  rocketrick : (05 June 2018 - 07:45 PM) Once again I am aghast at the fact I do not have the opportunity on this site to discuss what an article author states.
@  thejohnnygold : (02 June 2018 - 03:58 PM) Got you all set up, Rick. Fire away on Ariza!
@  rocketrick : (01 June 2018 - 01:49 PM) I have some comments and ideas about Rahat's article on Trevor Ariza but unfortunately that is no longer possible directly on this site...Rahat's article on "The Challenges in Playing Trevor Ariza"
@  DenverRocket : (29 May 2018 - 04:26 PM) So disappointed, but I agree, great effort. To even be that close despite losing CP3, experiencing such a massive statistical outlier from 3 and some very questionable officiating calls, is just crazy. I feel bad, my youngest was heartbroken going to bed. I told him we'll be back next year :-)
@  rocketrick : (29 May 2018 - 11:30 AM) IMO, the Rockets are clearly on the right track. Like D'Antoni stated in his presser after Game 7, make a few tweeks and let's go again
@  rocketrick : (29 May 2018 - 11:27 AM) Just guessing, so 80% of the time the home team wins Game 7 in the NBA and 99.99% of the time NBA teams don't go 0/27 on 3 pointers. So combine those odds along with the fact CP3 is injured.........
@  rocketrick : (29 May 2018 - 11:25 AM) Looking forward to seeing Nate Silver's statistical breakdown of the Rockets tragic 3 point shooting on his 538 site later today or tomorrow
@  redfaithful : (29 May 2018 - 07:10 AM) Indeed great season, too bad it ended due to injury. First time in very long time that someone made the Warriors look vulnarable
@  Mario Peña : (29 May 2018 - 04:09 AM) What a season. It’s been so much fun to be a fan this year and I’m already hyped for the next season. I’m proud of this team and liked the fight they showed tonight. I think James made a noticeable jump as a superstar in postseason play compared to past elimination games.
@  DenverRocket : (29 May 2018 - 12:46 AM) Don't think I've felt this nervous about a sporting event for a long time!
@  Mario Peña : (27 May 2018 - 02:25 PM) For me the defensive breakdowns and turnovers were the most glaring problems. In the second half the Warriors got the looks from three they didn’t get in the first half. The Rockets have to let them drive and be physical but limit the looks from behind the arc in game 7.
@  08huangj : (27 May 2018 - 03:44 AM) Refs played a part but wasn't fundamentally the problem.
@  08huangj : (27 May 2018 - 03:43 AM) The two straight wide open 3s missed by Tucker and Ariza (when we were up 4)plus the 3 straight free throws missed by Gordon in the 3rd lost us the game.

Photo

Injuries and rotation length

41 replies to this topic

#1 redfaithful

redfaithful

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:50 AM

Given that Luc Mbah a Moute is sidelined for 2-3 weeks, the question of the Rockets' rotation length is up in the air. The major concern I had as a Rockets fan heading into this season is rotation rigidity - last year when players went down the coaching staff's answer was to play the trusted players more. This resulted in wearing down some players and could very well cost some playoff losses.

Similar thing happened to the Clippers over the last few years - Doc trusts only that many players and his team crushed every year when there was almost no one to step in for injured players. On the other end of the scale you have the Warriors and Spurs, giving the 10th, 11th and even 12th player significant playing time in the regular season, ensuring the drop off when injury strikes is not that bad.

I personally would like very much to see Mbah a Moute's minutes given to the next guy in the rotation (Troy Williams? Zhou Qi?) and not spread between the 8+1 that usually play, even if it means losing some games. An important test for the coaches.

#2 DenverRocket

DenverRocket

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 15 December 2017 - 04:54 PM

I agree about giving rotation guys more time - for the opposite extreme, look at Thibs and the TWolves! :-)

I think Williams is injured and currently out (sprained knee), so expect to see Tucker shift down and a little more of Joe?

Interesting to see how they handle it.

"I could never understand national or ethnic pride, 'cos to me pride should be preserved for something you achieve or attain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth!" - George Carlin.

#3 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,036 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:23 PM

We all know what's going to happen....Bobby Brown.  :P

#4 redfaithful

redfaithful

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:38 PM

Well, the rotation now includes Gerald Green, which means 10 regular contributors plus Black and Weber as injury insurance.

Great steal by Morey, let's hope this will ease the load off everyone and result in less injuries.

#5 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:04 PM

Well, the rotation now includes Gerald Green, which means 10 regular contributors plus Black and Weber as injury insurance.

Great steal by Morey, let's hope this will ease the load off everyone and result in less injuries.

Loving watching Green play for us. His passion is definitely contagious amongst the team. Perfect timing with James out for an extended breather. 

when you win two games in a row that's called a winning streak.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#6 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,036 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:11 PM

I haven't been able to watch much lately.  My plate has been FULL for the past month plus.  Glad to hear we're still trucking along.  Does anyone think Morey swings a deal this year?

I think Morey would have to seriously consider a Marc Gasol deal.  Would Ryan Anderson, Zhou Qi, plus a draft pick get the disgruntled center out of Memphis?

We've still got plenty of "wings" to plug in for Anderson and putting Capela back to 20 or so mpg means fresher legs and he's roasting every team's back-ups.  Plus, Gasol gives us something to help topple GS in the playoffs.

The Grizz get a shooter, a legit prospect, plus a future pick and they can solidify their status as "tanking".  Qi is still 2 years away most likely which means lots of good picks to come.  They can deal Conley once he's back for more goodies.  Right around the time Parsons' deal (and Ryno's) comes off the books they'll be ready to attract a legit free agent and will have the cap space to get one or two  :)  It's better than watching Gasol and Conley waste their talents in a bad situation.

I also am intrigued by a Batum for Anderson trade.  I think Batum can play the 4 spot against certain teams and, ultimately, brings more to the table than Anderson.  (I'm not trying to run Anderson out of town...it's just his contract is best suited for these deals.)  Charlotte needs spacing...badly.

#7 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:24 PM

I haven't been able to watch much lately.  My plate has been FULL for the past month plus.  Glad to hear we're still trucking along.  Does anyone think Morey swings a deal this year?

I think Morey would have to seriously consider a Marc Gasol deal.  Would Ryan Anderson, Zhou Qi, plus a draft pick get the disgruntled center out of Memphis?

We've still got plenty of "wings" to plug in for Anderson and putting Capela back to 20 or so mpg means fresher legs and he's roasting every team's back-ups.  Plus, Gasol gives us something to help topple GS in the playoffs.

The Grizz get a shooter, a legit prospect, plus a future pick and they can solidify their status as "tanking".  Qi is still 2 years away most likely which means lots of good picks to come.  They can deal Conley once he's back for more goodies.  Right around the time Parsons' deal (and Ryno's) comes off the books they'll be ready to attract a legit free agent and will have the cap space to get one or two  :)  It's better than watching Gasol and Conley waste their talents in a bad situation.

I also am intrigued by a Batum for Anderson trade.  I think Batum can play the 4 spot against certain teams and, ultimately, brings more to the table than Anderson.  (I'm not trying to run Anderson out of town...it's just his contract is best suited for these deals.)  Charlotte needs spacing...badly.

I am hesitant to bring in a big man who wants to run a post game (Gasol). I think it would really bog down our offense and I would hate to prevent any further development by Clint. I think the ceiling is really high for him and we have just begun to tap into his potential. I have personally been toying with ideas on how to get Boogie here, but this presents a similar problem in my opinion. 

Batum's elbow really concerns me. He can't seem to be able to get it back to 100% and it has really affected his shot. 

I do think Morey makes a move and I can't help but wonder if we are completely done trying to bring Melo in? Maybe there will be a team more willing to eat Anderson's contract in February allowing a three-team deal

#8 bernardo

bernardo

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 03:18 PM

Really, really hesitant to bring Gasol in. Like slick shoes said, the post game is not really what they want to run, and I feel like Marc is a little bit past his prime.

I do think Morey will make some kind of move, but it will be the typical deadline deal with a rotation player coming in. I don't have any ideia who that player will be.

Really love watching Gerald Green play. Even if you don't know, you can tell he's a hometown kid by that passion that he displays. Awesome to watch, especially since I thought he was nothing more than a glorified dunker currently.

On a last one, can we get this place going again? This is by far the best site to discuss Rockets basketball, and it's been pretty quiet as of late.

#9 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 5,036 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:12 PM

Really, really hesitant to bring Gasol in. Like slick shoes said, the post game is not really what they want to run, and I feel like Marc is a little bit past his prime.

I do think Morey will make some kind of move, but it will be the typical deadline deal with a rotation player coming in. I don't have any ideia who that player will be.

Really love watching Gerald Green play. Even if you don't know, you can tell he's a hometown kid by that passion that he displays. Awesome to watch, especially since I thought he was nothing more than a glorified dunker currently.

On a last one, can we get this place going again? This is by far the best site to discuss Rockets basketball, and it's been pretty quiet as of late.

I'm surprised no one wants Gasol, but I can understand why.  He has added the 3-pt. shot to his game so he can stretch the floor for us, but if the match-up dictates, or the advantage is there, I like the option of being able to feed Gasol in the post.  I very much like what I'm seeing from Capela this year and it appears I was wrong (once again) about his passion for the game.  I think a time-share at center would work, but the odds are we don't get him so no need to worry about it.

Batum's elbow may be more serious than I am giving it credit for.  I just kind of figured he was in a slump, but often a trade can fix that...especially going to a team with two set-up-men like Paul and Harden.

Boogie would be AMAZING.  It is unfathomable to me that a team with both he and Anthony Davis is currently sitting at 19-19.  I can't wrap my mind around it...all I can think is it has to be the coach, right?  Yet, we've got years and years to look at these two putting up monster stats with no W's to go along with them.  They should be destroying this league.

I would love for this place to get a little more active.  It is partly my fault as there was a bit of a mass exodus a while back due to a lack of understanding of simple rules.  They didn't like it and so they left.

I also think some of us have had life kind of get in the way.  I know Mario did a while back.  Blake has always been busy, it seems.  Rahat is all about them Tweets  :lol:  I've actually been wondering about Rockets Best Fan lately.  Sir Thursday as well.  Recently, I have had to take over my father's businesses (he has 3 of them) down in Houston.  The difficulty is I have a business of my own I run in Austin.  It's been hectic, to say the least.  I'm currently splitting time 50/50 between Houston and Austin and trying to cram a week's worth of work into each city.   :wacko:  This will continue for the next 4-6 months...hopefully I can get it all under control by then.  

I can chime in here and there, but I doubt I can make any of my way-too-long posts full of stats and stuff any time soon.  I think lots of people may be glad about that.  ;)

I'm all for giving it a shot.  Maybe we can resurrect this place.  I think part of the problem is that the team is doing so well.  What is there to discuss, really?  "Yay, we're doing great!"  "Agreed", "Agreed", "Agreed"....and so on.   :lol:

Maybe somebody can go dig around the RGV website and fill us in on how Zhou Qi, Isaiah Hartenstein, and the rest are doing?  I'd be interested in that.  :)

#10 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 784 posts
    • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:21 PM

The thing about striking a deal for Gasol is that you'll have to account for Clint's upcoming extension. Let's assume we can get rid of Anderson's salary (like JG said, just because of his contract, even if he is slumping, opponent's have to respect his shot and give plenty of room for others to operate)....we'll want to retain Paul, so investing big in two centers in today's NBA is not exactly a brilliant idea, specially since neither of them can play PF (Gasol might, but he is too slow).

I came here because of the content, not because of the "discussion" part (mainly because I'm a foreign speaker, I'm not really into discussing, mostly interested in reading the news or elaborate posts that include interesting facts and data), and lately there has been no content at all, but I get most contributors used to write here for fun or to get some recognition in order to achieve something greater, like a paid job for example so they don't have time or want to entertain the rest of us just for the hell of it. There used to be great articles and interesting material to read here....I think that's the main reason there's not much discussion around and why probably many have stopped coming around (besides all the already stated facts). At least people are still participating in our league....for now.

#11 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 5,036 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:54 AM

The thing about striking a deal for Gasol is that you'll have to account for Clint's upcoming extension. Let's assume we can get rid of Anderson's salary (like JG said, just because of his contract, even if he is slumping, opponent's have to respect his shot and give plenty of room for others to operate)....we'll want to retain Paul, so investing big in two centers in today's NBA is not exactly a brilliant idea, specially since neither of them can play PF (Gasol might, but he is too slow).

I came here because of the content, not because of the "discussion" part (mainly because I'm a foreign speaker, I'm not really into discussing, mostly interested in reading the news or elaborate posts that include interesting facts and data), and lately there has been no content at all, but I get most contributors used to write here for fun or to get some recognition in order to achieve something greater, like a paid job for example so they don't have time or want to entertain the rest of us just for the hell of it. There used to be great articles and interesting material to read here....I think that's the main reason there's not much discussion around and why probably many have stopped coming around (besides all the already stated facts). At least people are still participating in our league....for now.

You make a good point about the salary issues...I had not considered that part of it.

You are also right that the discussion was certainly helped when there was actual content--most of which was pretty good stuff.

I'm still enjoying league despite my injury issues this season.  I noticed I missed James Johnson is "out" tonight and didn't get a sub in time.  Oops.

#12 redfaithful

redfaithful

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 259 posts
    • LocationIsrael

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:51 PM

The good news - coach D'Antoni trusts 10 players. The better news - he is willing to experiment in order to get everyone involved.

#13 bernardo

bernardo

Rookie

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 84 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:07 PM

Gerald Green played too well recently to not have minutes now. 10 man rotation is unsual but I think it will benefit everyone, keeping fresh legs for the playoffs

#14 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
      • 2,407 posts
      • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 27 January 2018 - 02:29 PM

Maybe Green will be a go against teams with smaller front courts than NOLA’s. I guess we’ll see.

#15 redfaithful

redfaithful

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 259 posts
      • LocationIsrael

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:40 AM

I think the Jazz game tonight was a clear answer to the issue raised in this thread - without 3 rotation players (Gordon, Capela, Anderson) there were still 9 contributing players resulting in a win where no . And Brandan Wright also injured...

#16 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 5,036 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 February 2018 - 03:54 PM

I think the Jazz game tonight was a clear answer to the issue raised in this thread - without 3 rotation players (Gordon, Capela, Anderson) there were still 9 contributing players resulting in a win where no . And Brandan Wright also injured...

Just read another little piece over at ESPN (By Pelton, I think) talking about the Rockets being serious contenders.  He mainly focused on the offensive and defensive ratings.  Depth is another asset we definitely possess.  Yet, it is the strength of our starting 5 that will carry us...and the strength of the Warriors starting 5 that could, ultimately, derail what is shaping up to be an all-time year for the Rockets.

Curry, Thompson, Durant, Green, and their platoon of centers vs. Paul, Harden, Capela, and our platoon of wings.  It will be interesting because in years past the strength of the Warriors' bench was often the X factor for them.  Iguodala, Livingston, Barnes, and the rest always seemed to outplay their counterparts.

Now, with Gordon, Anderson, Nene, and Co. (I'm not ready to count Joe Johnson) we might have the edge there--which will be huge considering the task our starters have in trying to match GS bucket for bucket.  Part of that is attrition and age for GS, but I think that even at full strength we'd have the edge this year.

I'm wondering how many minutes per game we can get out of Capela once it's go time.  I guess we'll find out.

#17 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 833 posts
      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 27 February 2018 - 07:02 PM

Piggybacking on your "not ready to count Joe Johnson yet" note; I am mainly pleased with the Joe Johnson signing for the playoffs. There will be games in which James cannot get to the bucket (last year's postseason against the Spurs) and the three-point shots are just not falling (last nights game). Previously, we had no answer for this, but this season we can run Iso Joe alongside CP3 creating open mid-range jumper after open mid-range jumper. Then, after the shock of us actually playing mid-range wears off and the opposing team starts to close down the elbows, the looks at the basket are there again (in theory anyway). 

I would be curious to see if at the end the season and we are neck and neck with the Warriors for the 1 seed, would we shut it down a couple games to avoid OKC in the first round (they are currently 8th) and let the W's take their chances with them? Or is home court advantage THAT important to us?

#18 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 5,036 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 February 2018 - 02:01 PM

Piggybacking on your "not ready to count Joe Johnson yet" note; I am mainly pleased with the Joe Johnson signing for the playoffs. There will be games in which James cannot get to the bucket (last year's postseason against the Spurs) and the three-point shots are just not falling (last nights game). Previously, we had no answer for this, but this season we can run Iso Joe alongside CP3 creating open mid-range jumper after open mid-range jumper. Then, after the shock of us actually playing mid-range wears off and the opposing team starts to close down the elbows, the looks at the basket are there again (in theory anyway). 

I would be curious to see if at the end the season and we are neck and neck with the Warriors for the 1 seed, would we shut it down a couple games to avoid OKC in the first round (they are currently 8th) and let the W's take their chances with them? Or is home court advantage THAT important to us?

I was wondering that myself yesterday...whoever winds up with OKC is going to be at a disadvantage heading into the WCF's.

#19 redfaithful

redfaithful

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 259 posts
      • LocationIsrael

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:33 PM

The Rockets have VERY high chance for winning a playoff series against every western team except the Warriors, so IMHO there is no reason to focus on anything except getting to the WCF in best shape and position to beat them there. In particular, last night we saw the matchup against OKC is quite one sided. Worrying about seeds is for the lesser playoff teams...

#20 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 5,036 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:46 PM

The Rockets have VERY high chance for winning a playoff series against every western team except the Warriors, so IMHO there is no reason to focus on anything except getting to the WCF in best shape and position to beat them there. In particular, last night we saw the matchup against OKC is quite one sided. Worrying about seeds is for the lesser playoff teams...

I'm not in disagreement.  That being said, I don't like the thought of Russ, Paul, and Melo "figuring it out" just in time to bump us out of the playoffs--or at least force a tough 7-game series.  At the end of the day, that is still 3/5 of an All-Star team.   :unsure:

I would much rather tangle with the likes of the Clippers, T-Wolves, Nuggets, Jazz, or whatever team winds up down there.

In the 2nd round, I think Portland is starting to get that dark horse thing going.  They certainly have the firepower to hang with anyone.  Plus, they can rebound very well.  I could see them giving one of Houston/GS fits.  I'm not certain Anthony Davis will still be standing by the end of the season, but if he is that's another problem--albeit, a much less concerning one.

I certainly believe we are a WCF's team and that there is a real chance we can topple GS.  I still prefer to not overlook the minefield that is the WC playoffs.  I mean, the Spurs are still lurking in the weeds and no one is even talking about them.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users