Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (25 January 2016 - 04:58 PM) it wasn't even close. It helped for sure that the shots were falling (if those 3s weren't falling, would we have gotten all mopey?) but man that was a great quarter.
@  Sir Thursday : (24 January 2016 - 11:22 PM) Easily the most fun I've had watching a Rockets game this year :).
@  Sir Thursday : (24 January 2016 - 11:21 PM) Oh man, that 4th quarter was special
@  thejohnnygold : (24 January 2016 - 10:35 PM) Amazing the difference Josh Smith is making on both ends of the floor.
@  Sir Thursday : (23 January 2016 - 03:42 AM) Majik - he's on the veteran's minimum so you're allowed to sign him no matter what your cap situation is.
@  Cooper : (22 January 2016 - 10:00 PM) Good to have Smith back, Blatt would be interesting, firing him makes no sense unless Bron wanted him out.
@  majik19 : (22 January 2016 - 09:23 PM) so... anyone interested in Eric Blatt? I am SHOCKED they fired him.
@  thejohnnygold : (22 January 2016 - 08:02 PM) @Mario--that is a funny thought. Smith and Howard's friendship is important and may help reinvigorate the entire team. I'm pretty excited about this.
@  Mario Peña : (22 January 2016 - 07:15 PM) Glad to see Smith back, the Rockets needed an irrational confidence frontline guy. Could we see a Josh Smith trickle down effect to Harden on defense, Brew everywhere and others. Kind of crazy to think that Smith is a glue guy for this team.
@  majik19 : (22 January 2016 - 05:28 PM) on a general note, I'm really glad he's back given all of our injuries right now - Motie, Dwight, and Harrell all unlikely (or worse) to play tonight
@  majik19 : (22 January 2016 - 05:14 PM) Can someone help me understand how this works with the cap? I thought we were hard capped.
@  txtdo1411 : (22 January 2016 - 03:48 PM) Oh I agree, I wanted Josh back before this season (admittedly I didn't think it hurt/helped much either way), but there is a definite "bad" Josh side of him that can be painful to watch. Just like how the Rockets can look so good one minute, and so bad the next. Josh fits in perfectly. I will say, the things he does well consistently, defense and rebounding, are two huge areas of need right now.
@  Sir Thursday : (22 January 2016 - 03:43 PM) Nah, come on, JSmoove was actually pretty consistent for us towards the end of last year.
@  txtdo1411 : (22 January 2016 - 03:42 PM) In all seriousness though, he should be a net positive like he was last year. Especially with the injuries to D-Mo and Dwight.
@  txtdo1411 : (22 January 2016 - 03:41 PM) If the Rox weren't already volatile enough, they just added the most volatile guy in the league.
@  Sir Thursday : (22 January 2016 - 03:32 PM) (Plus it means we don't have to rely on the TJ the Mercurial)
@  Sir Thursday : (22 January 2016 - 03:32 PM) Cool! He'll be useful. We needed someone who knows what their doing defending pick-and-roll coverage.
@  thenit : (22 January 2016 - 03:29 PM) Sooooo we got Josh back
@  thenit : (21 January 2016 - 07:50 AM) 2nd worse on +- rating on the team .
@  majik19 : (21 January 2016 - 04:10 AM) amazing that Harden can have a 33/17/14 line and still be -11. Also, that he can have that line - and we lose.

Photo

2015 Offseason

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#21 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,179 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:38 AM

@Blakecouey

I think we must attempt a trade to fill the PG hole. I'm not really impressed with any of the FA's. problem is most teams with good PG's are not shopping them. I don't know if I really like Lawson, but he seems to be all that's available right now. I guess the Rockets must wait and see what shakes loose during the summer. as for draft picks..........Payne( Canaan was between them), Tryus Jones or a big man since this draft seems loaded with them. I really would like to see the Rockets trade and move up in the draft.

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

#22 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:43 AM

I'm apparently full of mistakes, Lillard was Weber St not Murray St, it was Canaan from Murray.  

#23 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,278 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 June 2015 - 03:28 PM

Jonathan Feigen recently talked with Morey about the team and he had this to say:

• "A year ago, the Rockets sought defensive-oriented additions, regardless of position. This summer, they likely will seek players who can create off the dribble. ... Those acquisitions could include rights-held players with the Rockets expected to take another run at Spanish guard Sergio Llull, a 2009 second-round pick, with the team potentially using part of its mid-level exception. NBA rules prohibit (GM Daryl) Morey from publicly discussing his plans even for his own free agents, but the Rockets are expected to bring back point guard Pat Beverley, a restricted free agent, and to use part of their mid-level exception to sign rookie KJ McDanielsJosh Smith could receive greater offers than the Rockets could make, but they can give a non-Bird exception, worth roughly $2.21 million in the first year. ... Difficult as last offseason was, it paid off. But the next steps could be the most difficult since he acquired the stars to build around. 'It's harder,' Morey said. 'We got a solid rotation of eight to 12 guys. There's no easy way to address a need without trading off (a strength). It's the harder step. If it was easy to do, more than one would win it.'"

LINK

That's the deal.

I know there are lots of people looking at LMA and Love, but those hypotheticals seem so very, very unlikely.  Considering our front court is in solid shape (when healthy) I do not expect Morey to focus on that position until after catching his "big fish".

We know the names.  I've seen people (mostly on "younger" forums) throw out a guy like Mike Conley ( :lol: as if Memphis is going to give him up for TJ, NJ, and the Pel's pick) as a viable option.  Let's be serious here.  If we had Conley, and a team offered up mid-level scraps like that the only proper response would be hysterical laughter.  I also keep seeing Kyle Lowry's name.  I just can't see a valid reason this happens.

More realistic options are: Brandon Jennings, Jeremy Lin, Wesley Matthews, Ty Lawson (one of my least favorite options), Jrue Holiday (I like this one, but I'd have to imagine New Orleans wants immediate help in return which would likely include D-Mo...which is a big "NO" in my opinion), and maybe (big maybe) Greivis Vasquez.  There is Sergio Llull, but I've grown disinterested in him and hope he stays in Spain.

Miami is an interesting situation.  Personally, I think it is all media contrived and that both Dragic and Wade stay in Miami.  However, if not I think Morey would definitely make a push for either one depending on the price.  

There are some lower tier guys (Aaron Brooks, etc.) who may wind up here, but these guys aren't the answer--they're just filler.

Of everything, I hope we go after Jennings.  Van Gundy is cleaning house and the price will be right.  Wesley Matthews doesn't solve our secondary creator problem, but as a sidekick to Harden in the back court (assuming he's fully recovered) he would be awesome.  Holiday requires surrendering good assets.  Get ready to see Lin back in Houston, people.   :unsure:

#24 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 458 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:46 PM

Get ready to see Lin back in Houston, people.   :unsure:

when you win two games in a row that's called a winning streak.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#25 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 478 posts
    • LocationHouston

Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:47 PM

I'd still take Corey Joseph over Jeremy Lin, but i'd take the other guys you mentioned.

What do you think it would take to pry dennis schroder out of atlanta (they have Jeff Teague to start)?

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#26 cointurtlemoose

cointurtlemoose

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 178 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 06:32 PM

Johnny, that's a good point about Jennings. I had forgotten his injury and then the subsequent trade for Jackson. I also could see SVG making that trade for a not-too-costly price. 

And Losthief, I think they'd want a couple things for him... Jones, maybe our biggest trade asset, doesn't seem like a fit for ATL... But I could see them being interested in Papa. Actually, yes, I would LOVE to see Papa on the Hawks. I think he'd be a great fit for that style. So maybe Papa/pick and something else? The more I'm thinking about Schroder, the more I'm warming up to it... depends on the price though, of course.

#27 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,865 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 09:33 PM

What's Capela's status?  I thought he showed big steps, strong finishing, as the season progressed.

The Rockets basically have Capela locked up through 2018 with team options the last 2 seasons. Unless the Rockets upgrade their roster significantly with a trade involving Capela (unlikely in my opinion), he is probably a Rocket for the next couple of seasons at least. And a much better backup Center than Dorsey, to say the least!

#28 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,865 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 09:38 PM

@Blakecouey
          I think we must attempt a trade to fill the PG hole. I'm not really impressed with any of the FA's. problem is most teams with good PG's are not shopping them. I don't know if I really like Lawson, but he seems to be all that's available right now. I guess the Rockets must wait and see what shakes loose during the summer. as for draft picks..........Payne( Canaan was between them), Tryus Jones or a big man since this draft seems loaded with them. I really would like to see the Rockets trade and move up in the draft.

Doesn't Ty Lawson have some off court issues? The last thing the Rockets need is a negative influence in the locker room. That may be the main reason the Nuggets have been trying to trade him the past couple of seasons.

In regards to the top free agents this summer, the vast majority are big guys. Only one is a quality PG, that being Dragic, and I seriously doubt he leaves Miami. I have to agree with RBF, it may be difficult (although never impossible with Morey in charge) for the Rockets to vastly improve their PG position this off-season.

#29 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,865 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:08 PM

Also, per ESPN.com, here are our free agents for 2015 and 2016:

HOUSTON ROCKETS
            2015 Free Agents
            Restricted
            Patrick Beverley
            K.J. McDaniels
            Unrestricted
            Corey Brewer
            Josh Smith
            Jason Terry

2016 Free Agents
            Restricted
            Terrence Jones
            Donatas Motiejunas
            Kostas Papanikolaou
            Unrestricted
            Joey Dorsey
            Dwight Howard (ETO)
            Pablo Prigioni

With a lack of quality PG's in free agency, I would think the Rockets are leaning towards re-signing Patrick Beverley as long as he and his agent are halfway reasonable, something like $5-$6 million per. Who knows, maybe just a 2-year contract with a player option the 2nd year to take advantage of the Salary Cap increase starting 2016-17.

Corey Brewer does have a player option but it does make sense for him to probably accept that for 2015-16 and then see what he can earn thereafter with the coming Salary Cap increase.

KJ McDaniels makes sense to re-sign as insurance in case of injury to Ariza/Brewer and/or as a replacement for Brewer should he choose to move on to another team as long as the Rockets coaching staff and management see signs that McDaniels is a team player first and is willing to be patient in developing into a rotation player.

I would like to see the Rockets re-sign Josh Smith. I'm not sure, maybe someone is more in the know, but are the Pistons really stuck with the full amount of his remaining contract or is it true that it gets reduced by the amount he signs for with another team (the Rockets)? Just like Brewer, it might be beneficial for Josh Smith to re-sign with the Rockets for 1 additional year and test free agency in 2016-17.

I wouldn't mind seeing Jason Terry stay with the Rockets for 1 additional season. He was a positive influence in the locker room and certainly played as well as could be expected in the playoffs for someone his age and needed as a PG rather than his natural SG position during the playoffs. Should happen unless a contender is willing to pay him more than the Rockets can really afford.

Papanikolaou probably won't return as a Rocket. The Rockets have a team option on him they will have to act upon very soon and it's difficult to say the least to execute trades this time of the year. The Rockets more likely will want the extra cap space to re-sign some or all of the players mentioned above instead in my opinion. Papa could still become a decent NBA player at some point, very unlikely as a Rocket though.

I know Prigioni has a reasonable buy-out clause and I expect the Rockets will take advantage of that to again save some cap space. Prigioni was a quality pickup by Morey and the Rockets at the trade deadline but I just don't expect to see him here next season.

Does anyone know if Dorsey has a buy-out clause? Even if he doesn't, the Rockets may very well just bite the bullet and buy him out unless there is an extra roster spot available by the end of the 2015 pre-season. Either way, his salary will count against the Rockets cap for 2015-16 so I don't expect the Rockets will make a decision on him right away. Who knows, maybe the 76ers will take him in a trade?

So the following players are locks to be on the Rockets roster 2015-16 (unless traded for a significant player in return): D12, Harden, Ariza, T Jones, Motiejunas, Capela and Nick Johnson.

Corey Brewer, Josh Smith and KJ McDaniels are pretty decent bets to remain as Rockets, at minimum 2/3 probably are here next season.

The Rockets also have a 1st round draft pick (via Hornets) and a valuable 2nd round draft pick (32nd overall courtesy of Phil Jackson and the Knicks). So very likely 2 more roster spots will be filled with rookies.

So that is probably 11, possibly 12 roster slots already accounted for.

Assuming the Rockets re-sign Beverley and Terry, that will leave only 1 roster slot left, especially if the Rockets end up with Brewer, Josh Smith AND McDaniels.

That last roster spot is almost guaranteed to be another PG.

It's getting to the point that Morey and the Rockets will have to consider trading some of their depth going forward to obtain the best fit going forward, that being a second playmaker that can keep up with most of the fleet footed PG's in the league, someone with proven 3 point shotmaking abilities and someone willing to take a back seat to Harden at times.

This will no doubt be the most anticipated off-season the Rockets have had in a long, long time!

#30 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
            • 4,278 posts
            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:10 PM

I'd still take Corey Joseph over Jeremy Lin, but i'd take the other guys you mentioned.

What do you think it would take to pry dennis schroder out of atlanta (they have Jeff Teague to start)?

I am not sure Joseph is available.  The Spurs have a QO of $3M for him next year, they like him a lot, plus this is his description via hoopshype.com:

Likes to shoot the three... Playmaking is a work in progress... Good potential as a defender... Very green.

Right there.  Playmaking is what we are looking for.  He shot 36% from deep last season and is a benefactor of playing on the Spurs which makes every player appear better than they are.  He is only a .006% better 3 point shooter than Beverley.  Ignore all of that.  All anyone needs to know is he played PG at UT under Rick Barnes.  What does that mean?  It means he got zero coaching in college and is likely to never develop as far as people assume a PG will as they mature in the NBA.  Don't believe me?  Ask TJ Ford, DJ Augustin, Avery Bradley, Myck Kabongo, and every other PG that has suited up for Barnes.  Am I biased?  Yes I am!  Am I wrong?....I guess we'll see....

Joseph is destined for a solid career as a back-up PG who can fill in as a starter for short stretches.  That's it.  Nothing wrong with that, but it's not what we're looking for when James Harden says he wants help with ball-handling duties.  (in all fairness, he wasn't issuing an ultimatum to Morey and said he is comfortable with the guys we already have.  He just wants them to be more involved.)

Jennings, with all his warts, is ideal to play alongside Harden.  One, he has already proven he can be an alpha scorer and beat opposing teams' #1 defender both scoring the ball and making plays for teammates.  Two, he's going to look even better doing that against lesser defenders and passing to guys like Harden, Howard, Ariza, D-Mo, etc.

Jennings showed that under good coaching he is a high-caliber player.  I'd love to see him here.

As for Schroder, I am not very excited about that.  His Rondo reputation is exaggerated in my opinion.  The Hawks have him on a long, cheap contract.  Can't see them trading him unless we offer more than he is worth.

I agree about Lawson--potential personality issues plus his lack of size/age/contract all point to me not liking that deal.

All that being said, I still think the most likely scenario involves bringing back an old Rockets' PG for a second stint.  It's who we are.  It's what we do.  Welcome back, Jeremy Lin.

#31 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,301 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:21 AM

SVG should be looking to basically give Jennings away to make room for Jackson and clear cap to add more of his guys, would still like to draft another guard if that's the route they choose incase his Achilles isn't right, same if they end up settling on Lin or draft Montrez Harrel if jones is traded for a guard.

#32 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
              • 1,602 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 03:04 AM

Doesn't Ty Lawson have some off court issues? The last thing the Rockets need is a negative influence in the locker room. That may be the main reason the Nuggets have been trying to trade him the past couple of seasons.

In regards to the top free agents this summer, the vast majority are big guys. Only one is a quality PG, that being Dragic, and I seriously doubt he leaves Miami. I have to agree with RBF, it may be difficult (although never impossible with Morey in charge) for the Rockets to vastly improve their PG position this off-season.

I'm not real worried about off-court issues, plenty of media outlets made more out of Dwight's "issues" this season, which all seemed absurd as well.  Lawson hasn't missed enough time to worry due to his reported off court issues(1 game in January, and a game in March for missing practice), and has maintained decent numbers throughout, so I'm leaning towards it being blown out of proportion the way the media likes to do. 

I would like to see the Rockets re-sign Josh Smith. I'm not sure, maybe someone is more in the know, but are the Pistons really stuck with the full amount of his remaining contract or is it true that it gets reduced by the amount he signs for with another team (the Rockets)? Just like Brewer, it might be beneficial for Josh Smith to re-sign with the Rockets for 1 additional year and test free agency in 2016-17.

The way I have come to understand it(by way of questions #65 and 66 from the cba faq site), Detroit owes him the full amount, and had used their stretch provision on his contract so that they aren't on the hook for the entire CAP number each season.  His pay this season was 14m, Detroit owed that entire amount(to Smith- not the cap) since he was waived after Septermber 1st.  That left 28m on the books(2years), they stretched it to 5 years(2 times the number of years remaining plus 1 year), so they owe ~5.5m each season to Smith.  There is an option then to stretch the Salary cap figure as well(I'm assuming Detroit did this, otherwise it was pointless).  Either way, his new contract with us(or whomever) can be set-off by Detroit allowing them to pay SLIGHTLY less.  He would still earn more than he would have normally, which should give him more reason to make a deal to play with whatever team he wants.

#33 Willk

Willk

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 416 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 04:52 AM

Haha. Too funny

#34 Willk

Willk

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 416 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:08 AM

I am not sure Joseph is available. The Spurs have a QO of $3M for him next year, they like him a lot, plus this is his description via hoopshype.com:

Right there. Playmaking is what we are looking for. He shot 36% from deep last season and is a benefactor of playing on the Spurs which makes every player appear better than they are. He is only a .006% better 3 point shooter than Beverley. Ignore all of that. All anyone needs to know is he played PG at UT under Rick Barnes. What does that mean? It means he got zero coaching in college and is likely to never develop as far as people assume a PG will as they mature in the NBA. Don't believe me? Ask TJ Ford, DJ Augustin, Avery Bradley, Myck Kabongo, and every other PG that has suited up for Barnes. Am I biased? Yes I am! Am I wrong?....I guess we'll see....

Joseph is destined for a solid career as a back-up PG who can fill in as a starter for short stretches. That's it. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not what we're looking for when James Harden says he wants help with ball-handling duties. (in all fairness, he wasn't issuing an ultimatum to Morey and said he is comfortable with the guys we already have. He just wants them to be more involved.)

Jennings, with all his warts, is ideal to play alongside Harden. One, he has already proven he can be an alpha scorer and beat opposing teams' #1 defender both scoring the ball and making plays for teammates. Two, he's going to look even better doing that against lesser defenders and passing to guys like Harden, Howard, Ariza, D-Mo, etc.

Jennings showed that under good coaching he is a high-caliber player. I'd love to see him here.

As for Schroder, I am not very excited about that. His Rondo reputation is exaggerated in my opinion. The Hawks have him on a long, cheap contract. Can't see them trading him unless we offer more than he is worth.

I agree about Lawson--potential personality issues plus his lack of size/age/contract all point to me not liking that deal.

All that being said, I still think the most likely scenario involves bringing back an old Rockets' PG for a second stint. It's who we are. It's what we do. Welcome back, Jeremy Lin.

I am starting to warm up to Jennings. Detroit is 20 mil under the cap

#35 Willk

Willk

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 416 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:44 AM

I am starting to warm up to Jennings. Detroit is 20 mil under the cap so he will not be cheap. SVG will get full value for him unless he becomes a headache, but if Morey can get him then I am all full it.

What about CJ Watson? He is great shooter and has played deep into the playoffs multiple times. He can run the 2nd unit much better than Terry or Pablo did. I like bringing back Bev to start next to Harden and bringing Watson off of the bench.

Watson shot 40% from 3, averaged 3.6 assists (1.8 TOs), with 110 off rating and 104 def rating.

Keep an eye on what Indiana does this off-season. There have been reports that they have asked Hibbert to not pick-up his player option. If Hibbert does not pick-up his player option, does David West? If neither player picks up their options does Indiana blow up their team? If so, then George Hill would be in play. He shot 48% from the field (36% from 3), average 5.1 assists (1.6 TOs), had an offensive rating of 117 and defensive rating of 103.

You can also look having Rodney Stuckey back-up the guard position. He did shoot 39% from 3.

I would take any of those 4 over Lin. Lin maybe a better player than Watson or Stuckey but can he fit next to Harden? The answer has been no and I think that will continue. On top of this, I wonder how big of a distraction he is in the locker room. I travel a lot to Asia for work. Because of this, I know a lot of Lin fans. I had one Lin fan show me how proud he was that he was taking part of trying to get blocked by Jordan Clarkson program that one Lin fan started after getting blocked by Clarkson. I wonder how that plays in NBA locker rooms. I think players accept getting hated by opposing team's fans, but to receive hate by your own teammate's fans must be shocking (BTW - our good friend Knick celebrated when Kobe got hurt by tweeting out he wished Kobe's injury was much more severe, but a torn labrum was good enough).  

Any way, I think the best course of action this year would be to sign someone who can run the 2nd unit competently along with re-signing Bev on a 1 year deal. This would allow Morey to act if another star suddenly became available like Harden did a few years ago. 

#36 Willk

Willk

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 416 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:10 AM

I know you have mentioned Corey Joseph multiple times. In the past I have thought no way, but looking over his stats, I am no so opposed to Joseph. He shot 50% from the field. He shot 60% from 0-3' which means he can get to the rim (and 40% of his shots were at the rim), which Terry and Pablo could not. In 2013-14, during the 2nd half of the season, Bev did a good job of finishing at the rim, last year not so much. Joseph only averaged 2.4 assists per game, but he also only averaged .8 TOs. Since he gets to rim pretty often, I believe he can be a good enough playmaker. I think his APG were so low was because of the 20 games where he played less then 10 minutes. When he played, he was getting 4-6 assists. His Off rating was 115 and his def rtg was 104 (both are what we are looking for) and his win shares per 48 mins was .148 (an average player is .100). I am warming up to Corey Joseph.

#37 majik19

majik19

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 366 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:36 PM

I know you have mentioned Corey Joseph multiple times. In the past I have thought no way, but looking over his stats, I am no so opposed to Joseph. He shot 50% from the field. He shot 60% from 0-3' which means he can get to the rim (and 40% of his shots were at the rim), which Terry and Pablo could not. In 2013-14, during the 2nd half of the season, Bev did a good job of finishing at the rim, last year not so much. Joseph only averaged 2.4 assists per game, but he also only averaged .8 TOs. Since he gets to rim pretty often, I believe he can be a good enough playmaker. I think his APG were so low was because of the 20 games where he played less then 10 minutes. When he played, he was getting 4-6 assists. His Off rating was 115 and his def rtg was 104 (both are what we are looking for) and his win shares per 48 mins was .148 (an average player is .100). I am warming up to Corey Joseph.

Do remember that everyone looks better in a Spurs uniform. 

I see no way the Hawks part with Schroder. I think they view him as one way for the team to still improve internally. 

I don't see Jennings as a good fit. He's a below average 3 point shooter and a below average defender. He's definitely a creator, and his efficiency issues may be able to be worked out, but I'm still not sold on the fit. The fit is even worse if we keep Josh Smith - I'm not sure they're playable together (see: Detroit). He was certainly a better player last year (PER near 20) but I have my reservations. 

#38 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
                          • PipPipPip
                          • 478 posts
                          • LocationHouston

Posted 04 June 2015 - 01:10 AM

Just to be clear. I like Jennings more than Joesph (along w/ everyone else JG mentioned besides Lin). I merely said I would prefer Joesph to Jeremy Lin (in the backup role only at this time) cause Lin can't play defense and Joesph is 3 years younger. The Spurs do make players look good I admit, but there system also decreases PG assists (see: Tony Parker).

As for Rick Barnes, sure he's bad at development. But also from UT are players such as PJ Tucker, LaMarcus Aldridge, Tristan Thompson, etc. Plus i'd imagine if he was that bad the Spurs wouldn't keep him around. I think its up to the player's work ethic more than their college years, and he has improved steadily across the board the last 3 years in the NBA (and he's only 23). Yes they have the qualifying offer, but they also have Patty Mills and TP so if we offer him they might not match and if they do good for them. I agree though he's not a starter next to Harden at this time, I just don't think JLin is either. (dude couldn't start on the LAKERS this year....i mean...come on).

I'm pretty sold on Schroeder the guy drives a lot, and scores a lot on those drives: http://stats.nba.com...=Regular Season

per minute he actually drives more often than Harden. But that is just my opinion, and i can understand why you might not be sold on him and yeah he would probably cost too much, but thought I'd bring him up. (****the ability to drive is the key to running our offense i believe).

@WillK I like the cj watson idea (hadn't thought about him nice catch) not so much stuckey (i think he's too much a gunner). Would love george hill if he becomes available, on a good contract too iirc.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#39 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                          • 4,179 posts
                          • Locationhouston

Posted 04 June 2015 - 03:16 AM

Brandon Jennings? I totally disagree with that idea. Jennings can't throw a nickel in the ocean standing on a boat :lol: J. Lin? we had to give away a draft pick last time......no use making that mistake again. dang......looking over these options makes Lawson's stock rise. the kid from ATL does interest me though

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

#40 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
                          • PipPipPipPip
                          • 685 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:09 AM

Depending on salary I would take Lin as a backup player. If he resigns for less than 3 mill it will give us a lot of cap space to resign brewer and possibly a starting PG.

The other options are just too high in price that I actually prefer keeping Bev and adding a backup who can create his own shot. Its slim pickings this summer. maybe AB ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users