Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

On James Harden and Team USA

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:58 PM

New post: On James Harden and Team USA
    By: rahat huq

Surely you've heard by now that James Harden declared himself to be the best all-around player in the game, some days ago.  Much has been made of the comment, but I personally don't see a problem.  Obviously, the statement isn't factually correct, but what does it matter?  I want my best player to exude confidence.  That's a far more preferable scenario than the one in which the early 2000's Kings found themselves when their star player, Chris Webber, literally ran away from the ball late in games, deferring to Mike Bibby.  You could counter this shows a lack of self-awareness, but I'd offer that maybe this means higher expectations.

But anyways, of greater personal interest were Coach K's comments about Harden's leadership with Team USA.  Maybe they're true?  Maybe they're a motivating technique?  (Remember how Jeff Van Gundy would routinely praise Kelvin Cato?)  In any event, as I've been saying for some time now, the experience this summer can only be a good thing for James.  When Kevin Durant pulled out from the team, I'll be honest: I secretly hoped Harden would as well.  Seeing Paul George take the spill he did left a lasting impression, and it has not been fun holding my breath afterward every time Harden has driven the lane.  But players can get hurt anywhere.  True, the basket support was directly contributory in George's case, but you can land awkwardly on the blacktop at Rucker as well.

Durant leaving was sort of a blessing.  Remember the stories about Lebron James getting to see how hard Kobe Bryant worked day in and day out after their summer together?  That wasn't going to happen here as Harden and Durant are already familiar.  But now, Harden is establishing himself as the go-to player on a team comprised of some of the best in the world.  And he's learning the way to win under a coach he purportedly respects.  This overall experience, and the confidence borne from it, can be nothing but positive.

If Harden comes back focused, transformed, maybe that's better than any transaction Morey could have made.  He looks much trimmer in these games.  And as I noted earlier in the week, Dwight Howard already seems locked in.

We've been focusing on the personnel game for some years now.  But player transformation has been the traditional path to success.  Hakeem finding inner peace and trust in his teammates.  Lebron reinventing his game.  Harden can be the second best player in this conference.  If he puts in work on the defensive end, he will be.

To date, I like what I'm seeing thus far.  If you asked me now, I'm expecting a big year.

#2 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
    • 2,303 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:02 PM

Awwww Rahat, I can't believe you wanted James Harden to leave Team USA! I know I'm the odd man out here but I am pretty excited for FIBA World Cup and to have a Rocket as one of the leaders of the team is pretty exciting in my book.

I still think Harden has one more year of pushing too hard and making mistakes. I am thinking there will be another year of heartbreak and a brutal end as Harden comes up short again. I think in 2016 Harden will begin to play more within himself and trust his teammates more, let the game come to him when it matters most (crunchtime and playoffs). The process might begin this season but I'm thinking the season after is when he really begins entering his emotional prime where it still converges with his physical prime.

How sweet it is!

#3 John P

John P

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 111 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:34 PM

it seems like the best option we have at this point is for H and H to just start playing well and having fun together. if there is any apparent hesitation on the part of FAs to come to this team because of chemistry issues, that is where we can nip that in the bud. I am not overly optimistic of bringing in another Bosh type player but you never know. My guess is Ariza will have to jell with the rest of the team, stop losing games after starting out strong, and just have fun with Beverley, Howard, etc...

#4 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,865 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:48 PM

Awwww Rahat, I can't believe you wanted James Harden to leave Team USA! I know I'm the odd man out here but I am pretty excited for FIBA World Cup and to have a Rocket as one of the leaders of the team is pretty exciting in my book.

I still think Harden has one more year of pushing too hard and making mistakes. I am thinking there will be another year of heartbreak and a brutal end as Harden comes up short again. I think in 2016 Harden will begin to play more within himself and trust his teammates more, let the game come to him when it matters most (crunchtime and playoffs). The process might begin this season but I'm thinking the season after is when he really begins entering his emotional prime where it still converges with his physical prime.

FIBA World Cup should help mature Harden and prove to all of us that the other skills he has, because of roster limitations here (Rockets), simply are forced to be in the background as he is relied upon to do much more with less as a Rocket.

Edited by rocketrick, 23 August 2014 - 12:51 PM.

#5 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 2,596 posts
        • LocationAlabama

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:13 PM

There's the he can't play defense because he shoulders too much offense argument again.

Why so Serious? :D

#6 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
        • 1,415 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:32 PM

I agree - the best for Harden is yet to come.  He will age very gracefully.  Problem is, Dwight is getting older..

#7 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,865 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:15 PM

There's the he can't play defense because he shoulders too much offense argument again.

That's right, I am so glad you cleared that up.

I am clueless after 30+ years as a diehard Rockets fan.

So glad to pass the torch on to others no matter what they happen to have experienced and know for a FACT

#8 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 2,596 posts
            • LocationAlabama

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:52 PM

I didn't call you clueless, but since that's the first thing that popped into your head, that's interesting.

#9 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
            • 4,130 posts
            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:30 PM

Gentlemen...

double-standards.png

Let's keep this about James Harden and basketball, please.

#10 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 2,596 posts
            • LocationAlabama

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:37 PM

I'm excited to see james harden improve and be even better next year.

#11 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 2,008 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:10 AM

Who know who is clueless, JG is clueless. Standing on his moderator soapbox. Come back down to us commoners once in awhile mr. moderator man. ;)

#12 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 4,130 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:25 AM

Who know who is clueless, JG is clueless. Standing on his moderator soapbox. Come back down to us commoners once in awhile mr. moderator man. ;)

But that's what double standards are for.  B)

#13 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 4,124 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:10 AM

it's really hard for me to get overly excited about Harden's great play with team USA. Harden has been a capable defender of some time now. focus is the problem. coach K has him focused, but can our coach do the same?

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#14 Lucas Daniel Uribe

Lucas Daniel Uribe

• Members
              • Pip
              • 25 posts
              • LocationTygh Valley, OR

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:55 AM

I hear you man. As soon as PG 13 went down with that injury I just hoped Harden would take it easy. I respect coach K just as much as the next man. He learning from the best coaches in all of Basketball. Coach Thibs better push for James Harden to be one of the two-way player in the NBA. He is saying comments that he is the best player in the NBA, he just has to show us on the court come Playoffs. #RedNation

#15 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPip
              • 1,865 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:26 PM

Harden has played a total of 10 NBA playoff games as a Rocket, the first 4 as a #8 seed vs. OKC.

Unbelievable how many on this site have already clearly placed Harden "under the bus" and backed up 2-3 times like that crazy lady in Clear Lake about 10 years ago that ran over her husband while driving a Mercedes. Ironic.

#16 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                • 4,130 posts
                • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:29 PM

Harden has played a total of 10 NBA playoff games as a Rocket, the first 4 as a #8 seed vs. OKC.

Unbelievable how many on this site have already clearly placed Harden "under the bus" and backed up 2-3 times like that crazy lady in Clear Lake about 10 years ago that ran over her husband while driving a Mercedes. Ironic.

Officially, it's 12 playoff games as a Rocket.  We played 6 games vs. OKC.

#17 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPip
                • 1,865 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:12 AM

Officially, it's 12 playoff games as a Rocket.  We played 6 games vs. OKC.

I stand corrected! The first 6 playoff games as "the man" and the next 6 playoff games teaming up for the first time with D12.

#18 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 4,124 posts
                  • Locationhouston

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:25 AM

@rocketrick

placing Harden under the bus would be stretching the truth a bit. I have been critical of him, but only in the sense I want to see him improve and I think he is capable of doing that. Harden deserves some of the criticism. it's not that he's hated...just the opposite.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#19 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPip
                  • 1,865 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:24 AM

@rocketrick
                    placing Harden under the bus would be stretching the truth a bit. I have been critical of him, but only in the sense I want to see him improve and I think he is capable of doing that. Harden deserves some of the criticism. it's not that he's hated...just the opposite.

I probably was a bit harsh in my "under the bus" comments.

However, I have read more times than I wish to count how selfish Harden is, how lazy Harden is, how he is more interested in his individual statistics rather than team success, how immature he is on and on and on and on.

Much moreso than Rockets fans appreciating the fact we have the premier SG in the NBA on our roster.

Particularly since Harden was not a regular starter until he was traded to the Rockets about 22 months ago.

I believe those that thought Harden could have all the answers and be the perfect player, teammate, etc. after such a short period of time are missing the forest for the trees, so to speak.

Edited by rocketrick, 27 August 2014 - 02:24 AM.

#20 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 4,124 posts
                    • Locationhouston

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:35 AM

@rocketrick

I will agree some have handled him harshly, but I don't think anybody is talking about getting rid of him. some of the criticism is because of Harden's own words, but I don't think that part of the criticism is unfair. asking the man to play some defense isn't out of line. maybe you're only reading at the times he is being heavily criticize, but some have defended him here too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users