Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Houston Rockets' summer assignment list: Part 2, James Harden

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:53 PM

New post: Houston Rockets' summer assignment list: Part 2, James Harden
    By: rahat huq

Read Part 1 where I discussed Pat Beverley, Donatas Motiejunas, and Trevor Ariza.

James Harden:  First, the obvious - Harden needs to show commitment on the defensive end.  It's simple, really.  This team doesn't have a chance until its star player brings consistent effort on both sides of the ball, though the Parsons/Ariza swap should mitigate the problem and increase their odds.  As I told a reader last week, when asked my thoughts regarding the reports of Harden's defense with Team USA, it's not an issue of ability with The Beard.  It's the same "too cool for school" mentality that you see so prevalently in any pickup game amongst amateurs.  Certain people think they're just too cool, or too good to try defensively, and that they can just get the points back on the other end.  Odd considering how much the defensive greatness of Michael Jordan and Lebron James, the two best players of the last thirty years, is lauded and pointed out.

Wrongly or not, Harden has quickly become the most hated superstar in the league, after experiencing a brief honeymoon as a fledgling darling during his first year with the team.  His recent comments regarding his 'mates added fuel to the fire and of even more recent relevance, the clarification that he and Howard actually do eat with the team saved the row from reaching outright unbearable levels.  Is he aware of the perception?  Does he know that the ten minute production highlighting his unwillingness went more viral than anything Jenna Jameson ever produced?  One wonders why, at the least, such public shame and notoriety hasn't nudged him to bend his back.

When the deal was made with the Thunder, what now seems like eons ago, some reports surfaced of Harden's selfishness - that he didn't fit the "culture" in Oklahoma City.  One story went that shortly after a loss in the Finals, Harden grumbled in the lockerroom over his lack of touches.  At the time, we brushed it all aside, and rightfully so.  As I'll expound upon later, none of those things should've been seen as alarming enough to not make the trade.  But looking back, I see the truth.  Watching this past season, watching James Harden, I see a player who is selfish and not as committed to the team and winning as he is to himself.   You see how he is completely out of shape, huffing and puffing late into games when needing to guard an active wing; you see his disinterestedness in the huddles; and worst of all, you see the body language when things don't go his way.  When he essentially quit on this team in an overtime loss to Portland in round 1, after Kevin McHale made the call to ride Dwight Howard to the finish line, I remarked that I had never seen anything like it in twenty years as a Rockets fan.  In hindsight, its even more alarming looking back.

Some of you have no doubt recoiled in disbelief over my criticism of Harden.  A reader asked earlier in the year, "why are you trying to run James Harden out of town?"  That's a pretty simplistic worldview.  You can criticize, but still be supportive.  And more importantly, I don't suggest these issues are irredeemable or mean he's fatally flawed.  Harden is still just 25 and there are countless examples of selfishness exhibited by some of the all-time greats.  Remember Scottie Pippen refusing to enter a game after Phil Jackson drew up the last play for Toni Kukoc?  Remember Kobe's entire career?  Selfishness isn't prohibitive to winning.  The distinction though, is that those guys consistently brought it at both ends, at least in the postseason.  As has been beaten to death, that's something that James Harden has yet to do.

Harden is one of the four or five most brilliant offensive players in basketball.  With age, and a style of play nondependent upon athleticism, I expect him to only get better.  His skill level will improve, as is the case with elite wings.  The footwork, already at a high level, will become even more fine-tuned.  The stepbacks from the midrange will become more lethal from different areas, and hopefully more encouraged from the front office as well.  We saw a post game in spots, and that too, hopefully will be built upon.  Might as well put that extra girth to use.

Harden's offense will be there.  And his attitude towards his teammates may never change.  But that's ok.  For Harden, the only thing that matters, the only thing standing in his path to realizing full potential, and this team's full potential, is full commitment on the defensive end.  He's talked the talk for some time, but will he finally walk the walk?

#2 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,134 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:09 PM

Watching this past season, watching James Harden, I see a player who is selfish and not as committed to the team and winning as he is to himself.   You see how he is completely out of shape, huffing and puffing late into games when needing to guard an active wing; you see his disinterestedness in the huddles; and worst of all, you see the body language when things don't go his way.  When he essentially quit on this team in an overtime loss to Portland in round 1, after Kevin McHale made the call to ride Dwight Howard to the finish line, I remarked that I had never seen anything like it in twenty years as a Rockets fan.  In hindsight, its even more alarming looking back.

Some of you have no doubt recoiled in disbelief over my criticism of Harden.

Well I guess I'm the a-hole.  Hard to punish the children for what the parents are doing.  Perhaps I missed the memo and didn't realize we were now in the business of transforming opinionated perception into reality.  I apologize, Jatman--looks like you are right at home here.

While you briefly qualify this statement with, "I see a player", the majority of people will read that as, "this is 100% true and irrefutably correct because I am saying it".  If I were an opposing attorney I would immediately object for "leading the witness".  You  began a sentence with "You see how he is...."...Objection, your Honor.

People will always see what they want to see (and in this case people want to see James Harden as worthless).  For myself, I try not to fill in the blanks for others when I am not in position to do so (and none of us are).  I don't know about this "quitting on the team" thing that gets thrown around.  Unfortunately, I don't have time to find video right now that shows Harden quitting/not quitting in this OT game.  If someone else can that would be great.  I have yet to see what the fuss is about.

Out of shape?  Huffing and puffing?  Disinterestedness?  Body language?  Seriously?  This is our body of evidence?  Not a fact to be found anywhere in there--solely supposition.   :mellow:   Obviously, I am in the majority here.  Fine, I will back off and let you all have your fun going back and forth reinforcing each other's love of hating on Harden because he is a fat, selfish, know-it-all, brat.  Enjoy.

A quick thought...I wonder how we would all stack up if our lives were recorded (but only parts of them) and people compared those scenes to the platonic ideals of whatever we were labeled as judging every gesture, action, and facial expression to the nth degree.  I wonder how many times we would want to talk to the media after having our words twisted in order to support whatever narrative had been foisted upon our existence.  Glass houses, but no shortage of stones.

Sorry for the dissension.  It's just too much.  I feel like a bug tossed into a toilet fighting to not get sucked down into the sewer.  Sure, James Harden sucks--which is why Morey gave him a max deal, he made 1st team NBA, and will be starting on the USA team while drawing praise from coaches with more cache and respect than I could fit in a U-Haul truck.  But we fans are right in seeing that fat slob for what he is.  Let's all pat ourselves on the back.  :rolleyes:

#3 Journeymany

Journeymany

Rookie

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 54 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:42 PM

@JG

Wow, looks like some dissension in the red94 ranks! ;) Rahat doesn't say anywhere that 'Harden sucks', but you're reacting as though he said he's worthless and should be traded. Read more calmly, and you'll see that Rahat is comparing Harden to MVP level players like Kobe and Pippen, who early in their careers did need to make some changes, did so, and duly achieved greatness.

Bottom line, Harden is a great player - everyone agrees on that. The question now is 'How great?' Take a chill pill, relax, listen to music, maybe take a forum break for a while like I'm sure most people (including me) are during the offseason :)

#4 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,125 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:53 PM

@JG

I second that. I don't believe I have seen Harden quit on this team. not being involved in plays I see Harden stand around all the time. however because this was a playoff game where D-12 was dominating and Harden was uninvolved we should see it as quitting? I think those that think they see that are reading to much into it. nobody is saying Harden doesn't have his faults, however all players do. don't believe me? read some of the forums connected to other teams and watch how they point out every little flaws of their star players............even Lebron. I can take posters discussing Hardens flaws, but trying to read attitude and body language? I think I will leave that to the professionals. jumping to conclusions in this arena can have you in left field before you know it :lol:

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#5 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 2,597 posts
      • LocationAlabama

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:30 PM

I don't know if Id go as far as rahat did, but at least he's acknowledging there's something there(in his opinion). And your reactions, JG are why most people hesitate to post anything critical of Harden on here.

The closer look many have given this team with the failure to get a third star and the loss of parsons Asik and Lin, has us seeing that harden needs to improve tremendously to get a championship and as such we are seeing flaws that wouldn't be as important if we had a legit third star.

I'm almost convinced without more talent or massive improvement from harden(on defense) that we are a first round exit at best.

Why so Serious? :D

#6 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,125 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:27 PM

@TTDN

I disagree. we talk about Harden's Defense all the time, but trying to make him into some selfish malcontent? Harden is a 25 year old developing player. he is not the finish product he will become. as much time as the media spends tossing dirt on Harden and Howard I would think they could find a little love in their own backyard. Harden has faults........YES, but name a player who doesn't. I agree with JG you see what you want to see. if you see a selfish malcontent defenseless ballhog then you should look again because you missed the first team all NBA guard and top ten player. don't let emotion factor in on how you view his talent. I bet if we put him on the trade market right now we would have no shortage of suitors and probably from some of the very same areas where the criticism comes from. Harden is a star player.......all stars have egos. his is no bigger than any other star. he's not a bad guy. so why are some painting him to be such? when it comes to problems on this team there are much bigger fish to fry. IMO we will need more talent to win a championship, but not from so much what Harden lacks but from what their coach lacks.

Edited by rockets best fan, 12 August 2014 - 04:31 PM.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#7 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,290 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:45 PM

Well I guess I'm the a-hole.  Hard to punish the children for what the parents are doing.  Perhaps I missed the memo and didn't realize we were now in the business of transforming opinionated perception into reality.  I apologize, Jatman--looks like you are right at home here.

While you briefly qualify this statement with, "I see a player", the majority of people will read that as, "this is 100% true and irrefutably correct because I am saying it".  If I were an opposing attorney I would immediately object for "leading the witness".  You  began a sentence with "You see how he is...."...Objection, your Honor.

People will always see what they want to see (and in this case people want to see James Harden as worthless).  For myself, I try not to fill in the blanks for others when I am not in position to do so (and none of us are).  I don't know about this "quitting on the team" thing that gets thrown around.  Unfortunately, I don't have time to find video right now that shows Harden quitting/not quitting in this OT game.  If someone else can that would be great.  I have yet to see what the fuss is about.

Out of shape?  Huffing and puffing?  Disinterestedness?  Body language?  Seriously?  This is our body of evidence?  Not a fact to be found anywhere in there--solely supposition.   :mellow:   Obviously, I am in the majority here.  Fine, I will back off and let you all have your fun going back and forth reinforcing each other's love of hating on Harden because he is a fat, selfish, know-it-all, brat.  Enjoy.

A quick thought...I wonder how we would all stack up if our lives were recorded (but only parts of them) and people compared those scenes to the platonic ideals of whatever we were labeled as judging every gesture, action, and facial expression to the nth degree.  I wonder how many times we would want to talk to the media after having our words twisted in order to support whatever narrative had been foisted upon our existence.  Glass houses, but no shortage of stones.

Sorry for the dissension.  It's just too much.  I feel like a bug tossed into a toilet fighting to not get sucked down into the sewer.  Sure, James Harden sucks--which is why Morey gave him a max deal, he made 1st team NBA, and will be starting on the USA team while drawing praise from coaches with more cache and respect than I could fit in a U-Haul truck.  But we fans are right in seeing that fat slob for what he is.  Let's all pat ourselves on the back.  :rolleyes:

I don't see the problem. So he wrote what he sees, how else would you have him write? He can't transplant Hardens brain into his own to write what harden thinks or mchale or morey. You're vehemently defending him based on what you see but just a different view. You cant quantify human personality or body language with numbers or facts its about what you see. Of course if we lived james hardens life theres plenty of things we wouldn't like about the media and goofy folks on message boards but guess what we aren't and if no one was allowed to be criticized only because the person criticizing has faults of there own nothing would change because we'd all be pretending everything is A OK. You're seeing people say harden sucks, that he's worthless ect.. when it isn't here.

#8 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,125 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:17 PM

@Cooper

I don't think that was the jest of JG's point. Rahat is a leader around here. many here follow him like lemmings. they accept his opinion as the gospel. just as he is expressing what he sees JG is saying why he doesn't see that. I agree. I don't see that either. perhaps it's leftover anger from our playoff loss. however painting Harden  as some kind of selfish malcontent is overboard. if you want to point to evidence of flaws within his play I can see that, but questioning his character based on rumors and one playoff game? that's overboard. so my post on this subject have been to express that this view isn't shared by me and that's all I believe JG is saying

#9 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 2,597 posts
        • LocationAlabama

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:25 PM

I like rahat and agree with some of what he says but this board isn't full of mindless sheep.

Why so Serious? :D

#10 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,636 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:45 PM

I am in agreement with JG.

#11 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,125 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:35 PM

@TTDN

I'm not pointing out any special person in my lemming comment. I agree this Forum is full of more basketball educated people than just about any Forum I have ever read, but every Forum has it's lemmings. they may not be in abundance here but they exist. there are some in every crowd. in all honesty I agree with a few things Rahat said too. however the way he stepped on Harden in saying he quit on this team and using rumors from Harden's OKC days to validate a pattern of behavior that questions the man's character.............that's overboard to me. I know Harden's faults and could list them here as clearly as any other poster, but I'm not going to use body language and attitude of a man I only see through the eyes of the media in judging his character unless the evidence is overwhelming. I'm not ready to label frustration as quitting. that's an overreaction. I remember the game Rahat is talking about, but this is what I saw. I saw Howard step to the forefront to become the leader of this team. he showed the power to will his team to victory. he may have come up short, but a clear pecking order was being established. he was showing a 25 year old star how it's done. yeah Harden may have been ball watching, but so was the rest of the team. D-12 took over. simple as that. forming judgment of the others because they didn't get in D-12's way in his attempt to lead us..........well what can I say?   

#12 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPipPip
          • 671 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:45 PM

I don't know why we can't criticize Harden? I don't think anyone here has called for Harden to get traded or said that he plainly just reeks.

I've been critical of Harden and sees a lot of the same things as Rahat. I've posted in the Harden threads about this and like I said before except for Lebron and KD there isn't another player I trade Harden for. But in order for us to win we need Harden to elevate himself in the other part of the floor. We keep talking about saving energy and avoiding fouls, I can understand some of those claims in the regular season, but if you can't go all out on both sides of the floor and get attacked by the opposing teams by having Matthews going at you as the gameplan, a star player should take offence to that and shut that guy down.

I don't think he was awful defensively but he was still not average and when his shots weren't falling in the first few games other great players would have at least try to lead by example in the D department.

Its not about hating or pushing Harden out of the town, its about us having higher expectations of our best players.

#13 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 4,125 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:22 PM

@thenit

I have been critical of Harden myself, but where is the line in reasonable criticism and piling on unjust dirt to help validate other points. we are all in agreement Harden needs to improve, but using OUR frustration of OUR expectations of him to label him because he's not as developed as we would like is unjust. which one of you had your sh** together when you were 25? Harden is developing as a player and a man. sometime you don't have all the answers when your 25. problem is he's learning how to be both in the limelight of the NBA.  so while he does deserve critical review we must not lose context of the situation 

#14 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPipPip
            • 671 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:10 PM

@RBF

I'm not sure if you are inferring to me regarding my expectations, but is my expectations is not for him to be perfect but give full effort that's the least you can expect from anyone regardless if you are a toddler or an athlete. We have all seen that he can be a decent defender when he gives 100% so I'm not sure why we as fan can't have that expectations without labeling him.

Lebron and Kd at this age weren't perfect but they took it upon themselves to work hard on both sides of the floor, they would avoid taking fouls on breakaways etc but they never ever gave less than 100% especially in the playoffs.

As the off court stuff I don't need any players to be role models etc unless it affects their performance. I never said anything about the off the court stuff because it doen't matter to me.

There is no perfect player and he is turning 26 and getting into his 6th year, our window is narrow with D12 age. I am glad about that he tried to play D in the USA camp and its a hopeful sign, but I will believe it when I see it in the playoffs this season.

#15 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 4,134 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:35 PM

OK, so once again I am reminded I should not post before coffee.  :lol:

Yes, my post was a bit stronger than I intended.  Let me elaborate a bit and respond to a few things.  RBF has touched on quite a few and pretty much understands where I'm coming from.  Still, there are things I need to acknowledge.

This post is directly related to yesterday's back and forth between Datruth and myself (I mistakenly said Jatman this morning--again with the lack of coffee).  I presume most everyone read that, but if not it starts here and you can follow it along if you want.

We have not harped on Red94 standards for some time now--those who have been around a while can recall when not a week would go by without reminders.  One of the standards of Red94 is to back up your assertions with facts, cite your sources, and try to avoid speculation--if one does speculate it is fine, but acknowledge it as such--too often these days it gets presented as fact.  That's not what we do.

So, yesterday I found myself trying to deal with this sort of issue and woke up today to find that everything I had chided Datruth for was squarely in Rahat's article.  Did I find that frustrating?  You betcha! :lol:  I certainly vented a bit and apologize for the harshness of it.  Yet, here I sit with a double standard in hand.  It's cool.  I can adjust.  If this is the direction we are headed then so be it.  It's not like many were adhering to the core standards all that much.

The idea was to have a special place that, unlike most of the others, rose above the norms of profanity, absurdity, abusive posts, absurd emotional rants, and all the other stuff that can be found encasing the occasional  quality posts that can be found.  A forum that was fun to read, informative, and thought-provoking was the ideal and for a long time that was (mostly) what we had.

These days, I feel like I am trapped in the mind of a self-loathing perfectionist when I read a lot of the posts here.  Nothing is good enough and the cure is more self-berating.  I'm sorry if that offends--and it is not directed at all--but it does fit a lot.

Honestly, I don't know where we stand on this issue now, but if this is the direction people want to go then so be it.  Let's go.

So, now to address a few other things.

I did read the entirety of Rahat's article and I realize he paid plenty of compliments.  Again, my ire was directed at the quoted section in my post which undermined the very thing I was fighting for yesterday.  I'm not saying Rahat hates Harden or wants him traded.  I was using hyperbole to paint a picture--often, it isn't that much of an exaggeration.  Obviously, my meaning was lost a bit and that is my fault.

Possibly the thing that concerns me most is this:

And your reactions, JG are why most people hesitate to post anything critical of Harden on here.

Firstly, I'm not sure people are hesitating to post anything critical of Harden; however, if I am preventing earnest discussion then I clearly need to step back.  I have always, and repeatedly, stated that people's opinions are of no concern to me--it is the standard of keeping things on the level.  That's the thing.  Where is the legitimate, creditable validation for any of these claims?  James Harden has become a meme unto himself and the mere mention of him elicits pre-conceived beliefs, attitudes, and, worst of all, "truths".  I thought it was something we would want to avoid here, but it seems I am incorrect about that.

I will be muzzling myself.  Everything is fair game.  You guys go nuts and do not worry about any scolding from me.  It wasn't ever meant to be bullying, but I can see how it looks and so I apologize for those who suffered any bullying from me.  I was trying to uphold the standards here and failed to do so tactfully.

In short, I still believe we should uphold the standards of Red94--they may not be what brought most of us here, but are a big reason why we have stayed.  Perhaps, like many, you lurked here just reading for a while before finally joining in the discourse.  The bottom line is this is supposed to be a high-quality safe space for everyone and if I am contributing to it not feeling safe for people then I am not doing my job correctly.

Also, in case anyone thinks I am one who thinks Harden is perfect and infallible that is simply not true.  Believe it or not, I agree with many of the criticisms levied against him--perhaps not as harshly as some, but I agree.

Also, I did not mean to imply people were lemmings.  It has been my experience that many readers often treat Rahat's words as gospel.  Obviously we have lots of smart, knowledgeable readers--this is part of why I fight for the standards--I expect good things from everyone here.

Thanks for reading and I hope this ends up as water under the bridge sooner than later.  Now, let's all get back to what we should be doing--dissecting every aspect of our team  :)

#16 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 4,125 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:18 PM

@thenit

I have expectations for him too. that's why I used OUR. however sometimes I have to take a step back from those expectations for a reality check. I need to look at the critical review in the proper context. you know I am the last one to accept excuses for faults, but losing objectivity if you are only willing to view one side of the picture can happen if you allow emotions to skew your view. I get frustrated with Harden sometimes too. however allowing that to warp the way you view him would be viewing him out of context

#17 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPipPip
              • 671 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:11 PM

@JG

I realized you were venting and you have to deal with a lot of people. 99 times of 100 you will post insightful opinion and data even if people don't agree you enhance the discussion that's my experience on this forum.

@RBF

I know you don't pull punches as in mchale lol so I know where you are coming from. Maybe my deep desire for a championship as a fan of the rockets for the first time sometimes makes me demand so much from our best player. I wasn't old enough and interested enough in basktetball last time we won. We want the same thing and I don't think we are that far apart regarding harden.

#18 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                • 2,309 posts
                • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:16 PM

I'm more on the side of johnnygold, rockets best fan and Buckko but I respect all the opinions here. I also don't believe I have seen Harden ever quit on this team but surely there fans that believe he has at some point. I do believe reading body language doesn't always yield reliable results especially in Harden's case. That is not a good window into Harden and what makes him go.

As far as the playoff game in question I also agree with rockets best fan's analysis. Harden was also part of that success Howard had as Harden was feeding him quite well. I have rewatched regular season and playoff games since the season ended and I see over the top criticism that conveniently ignores the full view of Harden the player much too often.

And don't give me that lame argument that I am some person who is against criticizing because I am not. I do believe Harden does need to step up his defense and I do believe that the genius basketball DNA he exhibits on the offensive end should be pushed to see, impose and control games from basket to basket. I am realistic though because I can see we are splitting hairs about a guy who could settle for being a perennial First Team All NBA Guard or he could push himself and win championships and pick up an MVP trophy.

Only time will tell and if he stays healthy the good news is James Harden has a long time.

How sweet it is!

#19 Willk

Willk

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 314 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:50 AM

I'm more on the side of johnnygold, rockets best fan and Buckko but I respect all the opinions here. I also don't believe I have seen Harden ever quit on this team but surely there fans that believe he has at some point. I do believe reading body language doesn't always yield reliable results especially in Harden's case. That is not a good window into Harden and what makes him go.

Only time will tell and if he stays healthy the good news is James Harden has a long time.

FSS - I agree with what you wrote here especially the last line about health. I wonder if Rahat remembers all of the injuries Harden suffered throughout the year. Does he remember the scary injury that Harden suffered in the final preseason game against Memphis? I thought he was done for the season initially. How many times did Harden role his ankle on drives this year with the most severe being against the Kings where he shot free throws on one foot. I personally thought Harden should have been held out of a few more games this past season to get healthier, but I respect Harden's will to play injured (and not to blame injuries for any poor play). I think this says more than anything you can glean from his body language.

#20 Willk

Willk

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 314 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:14 AM

JG - I personally do not think you were too hard on Rahat. I agree that there should be some facts behind what you decide to write.

Rahat claims Harden was out of shape & huffing & puffing at the end of games. Well, Harden averaged the 5th highest minutes per game this past season. Maybe he played too many minutes and that is what caused his "huffing & puffing." Lebron was 6th in minutes and I saw him huffing and puffing at times too, maybe he was out of shape.

Rahat also claims Harden was disinterested in huddles. How much of a huddle is shown on TV? Anything tactical is not allowed to be shown on TV, only the rah-rah stuff is. So are we basing our opinions on the 5 seconds of the huddle that does not matter?

Apparently, OKC traded Harden because he was too selfish. Would he still be best of friends with Durant & Westbrook if he only cared about his touches? Would they not be happy Harden is gone if he was such a malcontent? Apparently they talk regularly and unless Durant is liar, Durant has said he wants to play with Harden again. Where are Rahat's sources on this?  

I have not always agreed with Rahat (and I have accused Rahat of trying to run Harden out of town when he was on a more Lin less Harden rant). I think this article could have been more factual and less emotional and there is nothing wrong with pointing this out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users