Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Bold Predictions for 2014-15

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#61 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,125 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:50 AM

@JG

those first two lines had me on the floor laughing :lol:...............well said.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#62 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:41 PM

Jatman as JG said defense DRTG is a team statistic, everyone on the rockets had a terrible one during the playoffs, many much worse than Daniels.

#63 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 222 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:12 PM

If I'm an opposing coach I would go right at Daniels and put it to the test. Daniels played 17 mins game 3 vs Portland for 5 points (3 to win the game) he followed that up with 17 points in game 4. Then he no longer was flying under the radar and was a defensive liability non-factor. You probably blame McHale; but give the other coaches some credit for adapting and game planning!!

#64 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,134 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:27 PM

He was also an undrafted rookie in his 8th/9th NBA game ever, in the playoffs, against guys like Damian Lillard, Wes MAtthews, and Mo Williams.  The fact that he didn't completely shrink in that moment is a big deal.  Of course teams will test him--that's part of the game.  He will be fine.

#65 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 222 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:31 PM

Some notable second team guards: Nuggets..Foye/Affalo; Warriors: Brandon Rush/Livingston (both can post up); Clips: Jamal Crawford; Lakers: Xavier Henry; Grizz: Tony Allen/Courney Lee; T-Wolves: Shabazz/Mo Williams; NO Pels: Eric Gordon/Tyreke Evans; Thunder: Reggie Jackson; Suns: either Dragic or Bledsoe will play next to Isaiah Thomas; Portland: McCollum (dominated the summer league with aggressive drives); Spurs: Ginobli.

That's just the Western Conference. Takes more than two games to make a playground legend and a few games more to be an NBA legend. Lets not put Troy there just yet. I kept track of Covington and Canaans numbers while with RGV last year. I also noted Troy Daniels....and noticed his opponents would also post over 20 points vs him.

#66 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 222 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:44 PM

For anyone to tell me that Troy shouldn't spend a single minute in the D-league this year is ridiculous. "D" stands for developmental. Troy could get further one-on-one coaching/seasoning there. We had this same discussion about DMo last year when he refused to go there. Articles soon after were writing things like; wow DMo looks great! "We can see him growing right before our eyes!" His numbers were the same pathetic numbers or stats he posted his first ( rookie ) year. Nothing wrong with seeing time in the D-league for a second year player.

#67 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 2,008 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:50 PM

How many defense possessions in which the Blazers went at him, did it take for him to give up the 17 points? If it took 20, then that is .85 ppp, which is a good defense night. If 10 possessions, then yes 1.7 ppp is high. Totals at the end of a single game are skewed.

Btw Daniels played under a defensive minded HC in college.

#68 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 4,125 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:40 PM

@Jatman20

the point I think others are trying to make to you is there is a ROLE for Daniels to play on this team. think the JJ Redick role he plays for the Clippers. someone to come off the Pine and go straight MICROWAVE. I think it's pretty clear this kid can shoot. I think how much time he gets will depend on his impact, but clearly he is deserving of a chance

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#69 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
            • 4,134 posts
            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:12 PM

Yeah, Jatman, you are arguing with yourself.  Nobody is saying the things you are arguing against.  NBA legend?   :huh:  Where are you getting this?

Half of those guys you mentioned--probably more than half--will not match up against Troy or simply don't concern me.  Whatever.  You want us to say Troy Daniels is a terrible defender and needs to stay in the D-League.  Fine.  If that makes you happy I'll say it.  That just means we will both be wrong when the season starts and he is a solid contributor for us off the bench.

#70 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 4,125 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:49 AM

another BOLD prediction...................I been pondering this Papanikolaou signing at the remaining mid level exemption (4.8 mil). when we first tried to sign this guy we only offered 4 mil for two years and he turn this contract down. now we're paying more than twice that for one year with a team option of 4.6 mil the year after................why? the answer.........trade bait. Papanikolaou is a draft pick so we can trade him after 30 days and don't have to wait till December 15 like on FA signings. his salary plus the other nonguaranteed contracts we have can all be moved by September 15. excluding Beverly and Covington we have 5.7 mil in nonguaranteed contracts plus Papanikolaou's salary equal 10.5 mil. that's enough to trade to Phoenix if we choose to offer Beldsoe a Max contract after negotiating a trade with Phoenix. to obtain Bledsoe we can't use the trade exception acquired in the Lin trade because it can't be combined with other players for salary matching purposes unless we involve a third team. the longer Bledsoe's situation goes unsettled I'd say our chances of acquiring him increase IMO. MY PREDICTION........BLEDSOE WILL BE A HOUSTON ROCKET BEFORE THE START OF THE SEASON.

Edited by rockets best fan, 11 August 2014 - 07:58 AM.

#71 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
            • 4,134 posts
            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:45 PM

another BOLD prediction...................I been pondering this Papanikolaou signing at the remaining mid level exemption (4.8 mil). when we first tried to sign this guy we only offered 4 mil for two years and he turn this contract down. now we're paying more than twice that for one year with a team option of 4.6 mil the year after................why? the answer.........trade bait. Papanikolaou is a draft pick so we can trade him after 30 days and don't have to wait till December 15 like on FA signings. his salary plus the other nonguaranteed contracts we have can all be moved by September 15. excluding Beverly and Covington we have 5.7 mil in nonguaranteed contracts plus Papanikolaou's salary equal 10.5 mil. that's enough to trade to Phoenix if we choose to offer Beldsoe a Max contract after negotiating a trade with Phoenix. to obtain Bledsoe we can't use the trade exception acquired in the Lin trade because it can't be combined with other players for salary matching purposes unless we involve a third team. the longer Bledsoe's situation goes unsettled I'd say our chances of acquiring him increase IMO. MY PREDICTION........BLEDSOE WILL BE A HOUSTON ROCKET BEFORE THE START OF THE SEASON.

Not bad..... ^_^  I'm still not a huge fan of this plan, but I like the way you're thinking.

#72 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 475 posts
            • LocationHouston

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:41 PM

I get what your saying here about a trade bait...but is bledsoe really a max level guy? I mean i get it...he's 24, and super athletic...but i mean...he's 24, he's not a finished product by any means...but it is going to be his 5th year.

For example, kyle lowry is 27 (not that much older) and puts up comparative numbers w/ better shooting, and he got 12 million.

Lowry at 24 on the rockets per 36 min: 14.2 pts 7.0 asts 4.3 rbs 37.6 3pt % ws/48 .130 per 16.5

Bledsoe at 24 on the suns per 36 min: 19.4 pts 6.0 asts 5.1 rbs 35.7 3pt % ws/48 .140 per 19.6

Lowry at 27 (last year) per 36 min:       17.8 pts 7.4 asts 4.6 rbs 38.0 3pt % ws/48 .190  per 20.1

but more key than that...dude has yet to play a full season (tho he did play in 81 games his rookie year) which is why i choose lowry (his only 82 game season was as a sophmore.

I see bledsoe on potential being worth as much, and maybe a bit more than lowry (and the extra points) but not max money (Lowry had a better per, better ws/48, better shooting, better offrtg, and same defrtg last year as bledsoe). Maybe 13mil, but not the 80 million he wants (over 5 years, so 16 mil a year). I get it, 24 year old bledsoe is better than 24 year old Lowry...but that much better? And is he better 25% better than 27 year old lowry (12 mil vs 16 mil). I mean I'd jump on bledsoe at 12 mil a year, and think about it all the way up to 13 or 13.5 mil, but at 16/max level....i just don't know if he will live up to that, even not worrying about him staying healthy.

P.S. suns offered bledose 12mil a year, which is what Lowry got. And remember bledsoe has had two surgies on that right knee. Interesting piece on paul george (http://fivethirtyeig...ke-paul-george/) injury that talks about how young guys (like george/bledsoe) come back and improve from injuries, but the improvement is due to there upward overall trend, and they lose about the potential amount at the same rate as older guys regardless of age. So why a young injured star might come back at 100 or even 105% of before, if he hadn't been injured he would of gone up to 120% or some such w/o the injury, so he net lose 15% of his production potential. this is paraphasing...the article is much clearer/better than my summary, and worth a read.

Edited by Losthief, 11 August 2014 - 08:42 PM.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#73 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,636 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:10 PM

Agreed about Bledsoe not being max worthy. I would wait until the trade deadline, and evaluate the teams current status, then consider trade options, mainly for dragic.

#74 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 4,125 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:40 PM

@Losthief/Buckko

I agree Bledsoe is not a max guy, but he should get something close to it. I would go as high as 14 mil per. that's a little bit overpay, but still in the ballpark on his value. face it your only reservations rest with injuries and I agree they warrant consideration, but I don't think that will be a major concern for the term of this contract. if he were older I would be more concerned, however their is no evidence to indicate he will not have a successful career  

#75 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 2,008 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:54 PM

NBA blocks Kevin Love to Cleveland deal due to the handshake opt-out deal that is already negotiated. If Adam Silver had any balls he would veto the deal for "basketball" reasons.

#76 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPip
                • 1,636 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:21 PM

Why would you want that Steven, get love out of the west. 

#77 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPip
                  • 1,290 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:47 PM

I would be okay with overpaying bledsoe since we won't have cap space the next 2 years if it is 12 or 16 million it wont make a real difference for anyone but the guy writing the checks.

#78 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 2,008 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:06 AM

Why would you want that Steven, get love out of the west.

Illegal tampering, coalition. Illegal handshake deals. It's bad for the NBA. Reason McHale got hit so hard with the Joe Smith deal.

#79 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                      • 4,125 posts
                      • Locationhouston

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:44 AM

@Steven

I have to agree with Buckko. I'd much rather see him in Cleveland than GSW

#80 Losthief

Losthief

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 475 posts
                      • LocationHouston

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:39 AM

what do you guys think of trying to get turiaf as our backup center off minny's hands, 1.5 mil a year for 1 year? He's there 3rd center behind Pekovic and Dieng who they want/need to develop, and he's 31 on a rebuilding team with a good deal? He's gotta be better to back up dwight than jeff adrien, powell, or dorsey, and he's got a ring which can't hurt mentor wise.

Edited by Losthief, 12 August 2014 - 04:39 AM.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users