Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.
@  Mario Peña : (13 September 2015 - 05:24 PM) Sad to see Moses pass. I don't remember watching him as a Rocket but I do remember his Philly and Hawks teams. He was the perfect man to mentor Dream. It's a very sad day for his family and friends and there are many.
@  majik19 : (12 September 2015 - 09:01 PM) i just saw a post wishing Yao Ming a happy 35th birthday... am I the only one whose mind is blown that he's only 35?
@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html

Photo

2014-15 Roster

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#21 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:06 PM

@oujoe82

are you hoping Zach can make your point for you? I don't need Zach to tell me what to think. I been watching Parsons and Lin nonstop for the last 2-3 years. Lin is garbage. simple as that. a below average overpaid anvil. I would have traded him for a bag of stale potato chips :lol: Parson is a star only in his mind 16/5/4 are not star numbers. Zach has his opinion, but that doesn't make it correct

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#22 bladad

bladad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:07 PM

That 63 million dollar man can score, pass. dribble, and plays some serious D. He's also super young and he's improving.

Edited by bladad, 15 July 2014 - 07:11 PM.

#23 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,290 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:08 PM

Hayward will be good for the jazz and they basically have clean books, the only other big contract is favors so they can afford him. Plus they aren't going to get guys better than Hayward in free agency.

#24 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,122 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:18 PM

@Cooper

good points

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#25 syckklam

syckklam

• Members
      • Pip
      • 4 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:19 PM

I wouldn't trade places with any of them.  Let's look at Portland.  They have 1 year before their roster gets blown up.  What did they do this off season?  Chris Kaman.  

Am I missing something? Why exactly is Portland's roster getting blown up next season? Lillard's rookie contract?

Also, why is no one pursuing Jameer Nelson? He seems like he'd be a pretty good vet PG addition for us.

#26 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 342 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:21 PM

Also, why is no one pursuing Jameer Nelson? He seems like he'd be a pretty good vet PG addition for us.

He and Dwight have.... history.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#27 syckklam

syckklam

• Members
        • Pip
        • 4 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:30 PM

He and Dwight have.... history.

I guess it seemed like they had a good on-court dynamic. I didn't see the "fight" dialogue that happened until you mentioned it.

#28 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 342 posts
          • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:39 PM

I guess it seemed like they had a good on-court dynamic. I didn't see the "fight" dialogue that happened until you mentioned it.

To be honest, when he became available I started looking in to how he would fit with us. Before google could load properly, I remembered Dwights departure from Orlando and searched for World Cup Champion merchandise instead.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#29 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,122 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:59 PM

@slick shoes

you're on a role here :lol:

#30 TheHolyBeardedOne

TheHolyBeardedOne

Rookie

• Members
          • PipPip
          • 74 posts
          • LocationAltus, Oklahoma

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:05 PM

Losing Parsons hurts.. But could this help the Rockets by filling the roster with role players and really letting the reins loose on Howard and Harden on offense without that '3rd star'?

Just a thought..

Also, with our latest acquisitions it seems like our front court D is going to be much better. 

#31 uojoe82

uojoe82

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 123 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:25 PM

You see what you want to see....I guess we'll just have to rely on people reading the article and not being led by the nose by a Portland-er.

In time, the Utah Jazz and their $63M dollar man will be the true losers.  Until then, pile on with everyone else.  That's fine.

Losers of the off season....quite the moniker.  Losers, because we had legitimate reason to believe LeBron, Melo, or Bosh could be joining our roster (oddly, no other team fits that description) and came up empty.  I guess, relatively speaking, when you have so much to gain it will ultimately look like you lost the most.

Is there a fan base in the league (outside of Cleveland and San Antonio) that isn't sincerely trying to ignore the fact that they have major issues to deal with if they want to win a title?

I wouldn't trade places with any of them.  Let's look at Portland.  They have 1 year before their roster gets blown up.  What did they do this off season?  Chris Kaman.  

Duck-Sauce-Charlie-Sheen-Spinstyles-Bi-W

Rockets are the losers of the off season because of what theyve done so far, not because of what almost happened.

Players added:

-Trevor Ariza

-Jeff Adriens

Players lost:

-Lin

-Asik

-Parsons

-Casspi

Rockets lost 3 of there top 6 players. Trevor Ariza sort of fills the void left by Parsons but thats it. There's not a single (attainable) free agent left that can make up what Lin and Asik did last season. 

And comparing the Rockets situation to Portland? Ha.

Next summer they'll only have Nicolas Batum on the books for $12.2 million (also his last year) and Allan Crabbe ($900K). They'll have team options on Thomas Robinson, Lillard, CJ McCollum, and Meyers Leonard. 

So based on the 2015-16 salary cap projection of $66.5 million (source http://cbafaq.com/blog/?p=304) they'll have plenty of room (my calculations is below)

-LMA $19.95 million per year (max contract, 30% of the salary cap)

-Damien Lillard $4.236 million (max extension will start in 2016-17 season)

So between LMA, Lillard, Batum and Allen Crabbe thats only $37.286 million. That leaves almost $30 million to resign Wes Matthews and Robin Lopez and build a bench. Even if Matthews and Lopez take up half the available cap space that still leaves $15 million to build a bench. These calculations also don't take into consideration the fact that the blazers can go over the cap to re-sign there own players. And lets also remember that the Blazers owners is the richest owner in the NBA (excluding steve balmer). 

So why is the Blazers roster getting blown up?

#32 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
            • 4,125 posts
            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:40 PM

I disagree JG on Hayward. I think he will do much better next year with an actual coach and an increase in talent with Exum/Hood coming in. The absence of Jefferson alone will help them.

Don't get me wrong...I like Hayward.  I think he is a solid player, but he is not worth $16M/year.  He is slightly better than Kyle Korver.  Sorry...just my opinion.

#33 uojoe82

uojoe82

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 123 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:46 PM

Would you rather have Gordon Hayward for $16 million or Trevor Ariza and Channing Frye for $8 million each?

#34 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 4,125 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:46 PM

Rockets are the losers of the off season because of what theyve done so far, not because of what almost happened.

Players added:

-Trevor Ariza

-Jeff Adriens

Players lost:

-Lin

-Asik

-Parsons

-Casspi

Rockets lost 3 of there top 6 players. Trevor Ariza sort of fills the void left by Parsons but thats it. There's not a single (attainable) free agent left that can make up what Lin and Asik did last season. 

And comparing the Rockets situation to Portland? Ha.

Next summer they'll only have Nicolas Batum on the books for $12.2 million (also his last year) and Allan Crabbe ($900K). They'll have team options on Thomas Robinson, Lillard, CJ McCollum, and Meyers Leonard. 

So based on the 2015-16 salary cap projection of $66.5 million (source http://cbafaq.com/blog/?p=304) they'll have plenty of room (my calculations is below)

-LMA $19.95 million per year (max contract, 30% of the salary cap)

-Damien Lillard $4.236 million (max extension will start in 2016-17 season)

So between LMA, Lillard, Batum and Allen Crabbe thats only $37.286 million. That leaves almost $30 million to resign Wes Matthews and Robin Lopez and build a bench. Even if Matthews and Lopez take up half the available cap space that still leaves $15 million to build a bench. These calculations also don't take into consideration the fact that the blazers can go over the cap to re-sign there own players. And lets also remember that the Blazers owners is the richest owner in the NBA (excluding steve balmer). 

So why is the Blazers roster getting blown up?

Because right now they actually have some decent depth and those players are going to want to get paid.  If they are smart, they will offer Lillard an extension after this year or face the real possibility of losing him.  Matthews, Lopez, and Wright are all going to want raises.  I think Portland will lose their wing depth (and possibly their center) to teams willing to pay more (as we have seen here) than a player is actually worth.  Retaining your guys will cost more than you think.

I may very well be wrong....we'll see.  If I'm Nic Batum I'm getting real excited about free agency.  Based off this year's contracts he could easily score an $18M+ offer.

#35 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 4,125 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:48 PM

Would you rather have Gordon Hayward for $16 million or Trevor Ariza and Channing Frye for $8 million each?

I'll take the latter--gladly....of course, it all depends.  If I'm Utah and I need a face of the franchise I might choose Gordon.  These decisions don't get made in vacuums.

#36 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
              • 2,298 posts
              • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:51 PM

I suggest if any member continues posting here to make it about the Rockets roster. Anyone else that wants to discuss something else like losers of the offseason or Portland's free agency are more than welcome to start a topic. Stay in your lane gentlemen or I will make sure you do. Thank you in advance.

How sweet it is!

#37 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 4,122 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:55 PM

@JG

I don't think I would take Gordon over Ariza/Frye. I like Gordon, but he is not among the elite at his position. I understand why Utah matched his deal, but it still doesn't mean he's worth it

#38 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 2,596 posts
              • LocationAlabama

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:01 PM

So does anyone think we have a realistic shot at the title with the roster as presently constructed? It seems like we're done making big moves. We're going after guys like Daniels and Dorsey. So now that our roster is pretty much set until closer to the deadline, do we have enough. I'm happy we will most likely be in the playoffs, but I'm just not sure we can beat the Spurs, Thunder, Clippers, etc... in a 7 game series.

Our likely rotation in the playoffs
              PG = Bev
              SG = Harden
              SF = Ariza
              PF = Jones
              C = Howard
              6th = DMo
              7th = Daniels
              8th = Canaan
              9th Dorsey

I think Johnson, Covington, and Capela are probably RGV guys.

Why so Serious? :D

#39 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 4,125 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:12 PM

So does anyone think we have a realistic shot at the title with the roster as presently constructed? It seems like we're done making big moves. We're going after guys like Daniels and Dorsey. So now that our roster is pretty much set until closer to the deadline, do we have enough. I'm happy we will most likely be in the playoffs, but I'm just not sure we can beat the Spurs, Thunder, Clippers, etc... in a 7 game series.

Our likely rotation in the playoffs
              PG = Bev
              SG = Harden
              SF = Ariza
              PF = Jones
              C = Howard
              6th = DMo
              7th = Daniels
              8th = Canaan
              9th Dorsey

I think Johnson, Covington, and Capela are probably RGV guys.

Sorry, FSS...I am easily side-tracked  :lol:

It's hard to say.  That Papanikleaoealoaelolaaeo guy could come in and contribute...seems like the Dorsey signing may be incentive to get him over here....they might be incidental...who knows.  We also got Gee and Hopson in the Ariza/Asik deal....unclear what the Rockets plans ar with them.  Still lots of question marks.

Still, I like the collection of talent.  We've got some defensive stalwarts coming in.  We've got some sharp shooters.  We've got some well-rounded euro guys to play that jack of all trades role.  D-Mo gives us some size (do we need more?)

We've got an elite wing scorer and an elite (like it or not) post scorer.  We've got a lot going for us.

The West....wow, how many pages will be written about the western conference in this era?  The competition is ridiculous.  Injuries will probably take 2 top teams out of serious contention--that's just the reality of the game.  After that...who knows?  OKC, LAC, SAS, HOU, POR, DAL, PHO, MEM, and GSW will all be very good.  New Orleans, if they manage to stay healthy will fall short at the end.

We will need to be patient (I know, a word most are growing tired of) and let them adjust to life without Parsons/Lin.  I still think this team, while mostly the same as last years, will feel completely different and have a new attitude.  It will be all about business...and we will be in the business of winning  B)

#40 uojoe82

uojoe82

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 123 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:19 PM

Glaring hole in the roster is backup PG. Beverley has shown that durability could be issue (even though he's willing to play through anything).

Also, who on the roster besides besides Harden can create there own shot? Both Lin and Parsons could put the ball on the floor and get a shot, Ariza isn't that type of player.

This team need Jerryd Bayless. Bayless shot 38% from the arc last year and can create his own shot. Also can play both guard positions. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users