Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

My worst nightmare realized: Trevor Ariza returns to the Houston Rockets

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#21 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:10 AM

I doubt Beverley can really improve on that. My bet just better shooting %, and team defense. Hopefully Cannan can become a decent 6th man and playmaker off the bench.

#22 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,128 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:28 PM

Just a few thoughts.....Morey has been saying the way we get better is to improve our defense.  Knowing that Parsons' 15 ppg is fairly easy to replace (especially with someone who can knock down threes) swapping him for a very good defender makes sense in the grand scheme.  I mean, would it be so terrible to give Parsons' shots to Jones in the post (He ranked 26th in the league according to synergy scoring 50% of the time and drew a foul 1 out of every 8 times), Dwight, Harden, Ariza, D-Mo?  I think after 20 or so games most people will find they prefer Ariza to Parsons as a better fit for this team.

My second thought is about the exit interviews where Dwight said (more or less) that we need to all be on the same page and all be about one thing--winning.  If you aren't, then you aren't welcome here.  What if that was a factor here?  Let's try to remove emotion and conjecture for a second and just look at Parsons.....I'm not accusing him of not being dedicated to winning, but he sure does seem to have a lot of other interests that occupy his focus and attention.  It's probably nothing, but it crossed my mind.  I'll take off my tin foil hat now.

My third thought is on how much I love all the Mavs fans justifying that massive overpay for Parsons by piggy-backing his contract with Dirk's and saying "it's not Parsons for $15M.  It's Dirk + Parsons for $25M...that's a great deal!  Cuban's a genius!"

I guess if you think that's a good deal then Cuban would look like a genius to you.........relativity.

#23 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,865 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:06 PM

I doubt Beverley can really improve on that. My bet just better shooting %, and team defense. Hopefully Cannan can become a decent 6th man and playmaker off the bench.

Don't forget about Troy Daniels. He could play the 6th man role as he had his moments in the Portland series.

#24 kdo

kdo

• Members
      • Pip
      • 29 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:21 PM

My second thought is about the exit interviews where Dwight said (more or less) that we need to all be on the same page and all be about one thing--winning.  If you aren't, then you aren't welcome here.  What if that was a factor here?  Let's try to remove emotion and conjecture for a second and just look at Parsons.....I'm not accusing him of not being dedicated to winning, but he sure does seem to have a lot of other interests that occupy his focus and attention.  It's probably nothing, but it crossed my mind.  I'll take off my tin foil hat now.

if Parsons thought about the money only, I wouldn't blame him. But it's not like it's money or winning, it's both. Every NBA player wants to get paid, and win.

No one, I mean no one, puts winning above getting paid reasonably. Even the Dirk's and Tim's, despite taking pay cuts, still get paid reasonably..especially since they've been earning millions already in the past. Parsons is only just entering the millions territory.

Basically, as an employer, you always try to aim to pay your employees enough, to a point so that they don't focus on money anymore, and just focus on the work. When you have employees that worry about finances, you lose productivity and efficiency.

Undoubtedly, Parsons focused on maximizing his earnings, and he has a right to, from maximizing his offensive rating, and being mindful of injuries...thereby not pushing as hard as he should during the playoffs to win, so he'll get paid during free agency. But I wouldn't blame the team's first round exit on him. What about Harden and Howard who are paid max contracts? Admittedly, Howard showed that winning passion intermittently, but Harden's passion...if I were to graph his passion on winning, it would be a straight horizontal line, it's like he just see's himself as an employee, no more no less, as opposed to treating the organization like his own.

But I bet you if Houston matched the Parsons offer, he would immediately improve in strides next season, because the thought of money is now gone. He can focus on winning.

It's typical human behavior/priorities, it's the same thing in every business. If you can pay your employees enough so that they don't need to think about money, then you have the potential to have an employee that will be passionate about your company's goals and direction, better productivity, better efficiency.

#25 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 2,596 posts
        • LocationAlabama

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:30 PM

Every player has interests off the court. Why try and insinuate something about parsons now that he's gone. I mean does anyone think Harden tries on defense? I don't. Come on we can nitpick anybody's game or their priorities. We lost parsons because we wouldn't overpay him. It is what it is.

Why so Serious? :D

#26 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
        • 2,303 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:54 PM

I agree timetodie. There is no way we can know what Howard meant and it may have nothing to do with any of this. Parsons was a good Rocket and if Morey retained him it would have been a sign of desperation which Morey is not. Also, in my estimation, Howard's dedication last year was excellent and he has really begun to enter a mental prime (which is when superstars win their championships, not their physical primes). As for Harden, the man is a thinker and doesn't show emotion so when fans try to analyze his body language all I can do is shake my head. Let's not forget Harden is a 24 year old All NBA First Team Guard and he is a Rocket for years to come.
        How sweet it is!

#27 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,865 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:56 PM

Kdo, as a very long-time NBA fan, I just totally disagree with your post. There is ample evidence that numerous players cared more about rings than the money. In some cases, they were able to have both, rings and the money.

Anyway, when you were saying that Parsons didn't put out full effort in the Playoffs, I literally fell off my chair laughing. Thanks for that.

#28 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 4,128 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:26 PM

@kdo, much of what you say is stating the obvious.  However, your analogy of good pay means good production does not hold much water in the world of sports.  There is a reason the term "playing in a contract year" is known by all and carries the stigma that, in all likelihood, once you sign that big contract your production immediately declines.  In fact, it has already been mentioned in regards to our own signing: Trevor Ariza.

The bottom line is this.  All players must have some cursory understanding of the CBA, or agents that can explain it to them.  If a group of guys who are all besties, and love each other, and all the other stuff that is getting tossed around truly wanted to stay together and win a championship then they wouldn't do what Parsons just did.  Period.  Paint it however you want, but the writing is on the wall.

@TTDN, I'm not throwing in some parting shots at Parsons.  I've always liked him and thought he was a solid player.  You make it sound like I'm implying he's a serial murderer or something like that.  It was a thought that crossed my mind and I thought I'd share it.  I'm not trying to disparage the man.

Diction is telling.  Saying we "lost" Parsons is telling.  Parsons moved on.  Parsons set his priorities and acted on them.  Had we gotten Bosh or Melo perhaps Morey matches.  I don't think we lost Parsons.  He chose to sign that offer sheet and Morey was right to let him walk.  I don't know what Harden has to do with this...I'm not nit-picking.  Sorry I questioned the "golden boy".....I should know better.  Seriously, re-read that paragraph I wrote...especially the last sentence.  It was just a fleeting thought that apparently I should have not shared.  Sorry, didn't mean to spur conversation.   :P

#29 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 2,596 posts
          • LocationAlabama

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:14 PM

We did lose him . We could have kept him if we wanted. It's not like he was an UFA and he spurned us. He was an RFA and Morey made the decision to let him walk. I agree with the decision.

#30 kdo

kdo

• Members
          • Pip
          • 29 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:34 PM

Kdo, as a very long-time NBA fan, I just totally disagree with your post. There is ample evidence that numerous players cared more about rings than the money. In some cases, they were able to have both, rings and the money.

Anyway, when you were saying that Parsons didn't put out full effort in the Playoffs, I literally fell off my chair laughing. Thanks for that.

While I did acknowledge that some players DO care more about rings than money, it's often veterans that already made ample money through the years, or stars that supplement significant income through endoresements. So even when they do care more about rings than money, name me one person that has sacrificed 10's of millions in a single year to pursue rings? It's often only shaving off a couple of million here or there in a single year to alleviate some cap space.

Nobody works for free, nobody works for unreasonable pay, heck nobody works for less than 80% of their market value if I'm being generous here.

Also, it's a matter of opinion on a player's effort, so I'll agree to disgagree and withhold further discussion on that.

@kdo, much of what you say is stating the obvious.  However, your analogy of good pay means good production does not hold much water in the world of sports.  There is a reason the term "playing in a contract year" is known by all and carries the stigma that, in all likelihood, once you sign that big contract your production immediately declines.  In fact, it has already been mentioned in regards to our own signing: Trevor Ariza.

The bottom line is this.  All players must have some cursory understanding of the CBA, or agents that can explain it to them.  If a group of guys who are all besties, and love each other, and all the other stuff that is getting tossed around truly wanted to stay together and win a championship then they wouldn't do what Parsons just did.  Period.  Paint it however you want, but the writing is on the wall.

While I agree that good pay doesn't necesarily mean good production, as it's obvious there's more dynamics involved. But I will stand by the fact that good pay alleviates a lot of unnecesary distractions and allows one to focus on more basketball. Whether that translates into better production is dependent on individual talent and team dynamics.

I guess I should have worded it better and really suggest that bad pay or focusing/worrying about one's finances is a direct causation that diminishes one's game. This is true in everyday business or professional sports.

As for the besties point and winning, I think most players, when they reach the NBA, and have experienced it for a year, realize their place. Teaming up with besties, and sacrificing significant salary to win, just doesn't happen often...not for tens of millions over how many years. These are more the exception than the norm, and expecting a player like Parsons to give up a lucrative salary just to stay with besties is not going to cut it. Heck if I were Parsons bestie, and seeing/evaluating the reality of the sitiuation (chances of championships/winning), I'd tell him to take the money and run.

Edited by kdo, 14 July 2014 - 07:35 PM.

#31 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
            • 4,128 posts
            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:36 PM

We did lose him . We could have kept him if we wanted. It's not like he was an UFA and he spurned us. He was an RFA and Morey made the decision to let him walk. I agree with the decision.

We just aren't seeing eye to eye here.  He had to know that when he signed that contract it was very, very likely he wasn't coming back.  Whatever, it's semantics...no big deal

#32 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 2,596 posts
            • LocationAlabama

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:38 PM

He did choose to make money. I don't fault him for that. Who knows what Houston offered him. They might have low balled him for all we know. Morey gambled that nobody would like him enough to do what Dallas did.

#33 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
            • 4,128 posts
            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:42 PM

While I did acknowledge that some players DO care more about rings than money, it's often veterans that already made ample money through the years, or stars that supplement significant income through endoresements. So even when they do care more about rings than money, name me one person that has sacrificed 10's of millions in a single year to pursue rings? It's often only shaving off a couple of million here or there in a single year to alleviate some cap space.

Nobody works for free, nobody works for unreasonable pay, heck nobody works for less than 80% of their market value if I'm being generous here.

Also, it's a matter of opinion on a player's effort, so I'll agree to disgagree and withhold further discussion on that.

While I agree that good pay doesn't necesarily mean good production, as it's obvious there's more dynamics involved. But I will stand by the fact that good pay alleviates a lot of unnecesary distractions and allows one to focus on more basketball. Whether that translates into better production is dependent on individual talent and team dynamics.

I guess I should have worded it better and really suggest that bad pay or focusing/worrying about one's finances is a direct causation that diminishes one's game. This is true in everyday business or professional sports.

As for the besties point and winning, I think most players, when they reach the NBA, and have experienced it for a year, realize their place. Teaming up with besties, and sacrificing significant salary to win, just doesn't happen often...not for tens of millions over how many years. These are more the exception than the norm, and expecting a player like Parsons to give up a lucrative salary just to stay with besties is not going to cut it. Heck if I were Parsons bestie, and seeing/evaluating the reality of the sitiuation (chances of championships/winning), I'd tell him to take the money and run.

I am struggling to understand how your point, which is valid in and of itself, pertains to a guy earning $900,000+ per year in addition to his shoe contract, modelling gigs, etc.  You want me to believe he is worried about money?  If he is, it's not the kind of worry that your theory implies.

One could easily argue that once he gets the millions he will lose his focus on basketball as he now has the means to distract himself with all kinds of other things and all that hard work has finally paid off, he has made it, and can relax at last.

I disagree that worrying about money is a direct causation that diminishes one's game.  In reality, like I said before, it is the opposite.  Everyone loves a player in a contract year--they're more motivated than usual.

#34 kdo

kdo

• Members
            • Pip
            • 29 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:57 PM

I am struggling to understand how your point, which is valid in and of itself, pertains to a guy earning $900,000+ per year in addition to his shoe contract, modelling gigs, etc.  You want me to believe he is worried about money?  If he is, it's not the kind of worry that your theory implies.

One could easily argue that once he gets the millions he will lose his focus on basketball as he now has the means to distract himself with all kinds of other things and all that hard work has finally paid off, he has made it, and can relax at last.

I disagree that worrying about money is a direct causation that diminishes one's game.  In reality, like I said before, it is the opposite.  Everyone loves a player in a contract year--they're more motivated than usual.

Everyone's standard of living is different, or do you not realize that most basketball player's life cycle is only a decade? You'd be lucky to continue earning a paycheck in the NBA after 35. But once you retire, the money you earn has to sustain you for the rest of your life. If I were generous and suggest that you could theoretically live frugally and shave off your life savings gradually, but the reality of all humans is that once you reach a certain standard of living, the resistance to drop down is there.

So yes, for an average NBA player, they do worry about money. From providing for their family to sustaining their standard of living for the next 50 years after they retire.

As for your next argument, that's a difference of opinion, so again I'll just agree to disagree as I can see empirical evidence for both sides. I suppose we can just conclude that it depends on the person. I am of the opinion that Parsons would be more motivated with where he's at currently.

#35 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 4,128 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:08 PM

Everyone's standard of living is different, or do you not realize that most basketball player's life cycle is only a decade? You'd be lucky to continue earning a paycheck in the NBA after 35. But once you retire, the money you earn has to sustain you for the rest of your life. If I were generous and suggest that you could theoretically live frugally and shave off your life savings gradually, but the reality of all humans is that once you reach a certain standard of living, the resistance to drop down is there.

So yes, for an average NBA player, they do worry about money. From providing for their family to sustaining their standard of living for the next 50 years after they retire.

As for your next argument, that's a difference of opinion, so again I'll just agree to disagree as I can see empirical evidence for both sides. I suppose we can just conclude that it depends on the person. I am of the opinion that Parsons would be more motivated with where he's at currently.

I guess I must come across as really dumb.  Did you think I needed to be told players only have so much time to earn money?  I guess I can respond in kind by telling you, and assuming you're not smart enough to realize, that they could actually get other jobs after the NBA.  How they handle their life is their own business, but it's not my problem if they don't know how to handle money, plan for the future, etc.

I would refer you to the story of the ant and the grasshopper, but I'm guessing that just doesn't mesh with your worldview.  Why am I even bothering with this?   :unsure:

It's kind of funny how we're reacting to Parsons' departure....imagine how Miami fans must feel.  They have to figure out a way to get excited about Bosh, Deng, McBob, Granger, and Dwyane Wade resting his knees.

#36 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
              • 2,303 posts
              • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:13 PM

He did choose to make money. I don't fault him for that. Who knows what Houston offered him. They might have low balled him for all we know. Morey gambled that nobody would like him enough to do what Dallas did.

Supposedly Parsons was in meetings all day with the Rockets before that night he signed with Dallas. To be a fly on the wall when Morey, Parsons and Fagan met to discuss Parsons' future would have given us much insight we have no way of knowing. I do know one thing, Fagan gets his clients paid so in sure he was pushing for Dallas and I can't blame him.
              How sweet it is!

#37 kdo

kdo

• Members
              • Pip
              • 29 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:16 PM

I guess I must come across as really dumb.  Did you think I needed to be told players only have so much time to earn money?  I guess I can respond in kind by telling you, and assuming you're not smart enough to realize, that they could actually get other jobs after the NBA.  How they handle their life is their own business, but it's not my problem if they don't know how to handle money, plan for the future, etc.

I would refer you to the story of the ant and the grasshopper, but I'm guessing that just doesn't mesh with your worldview.  Why am I even bothering with this?   :unsure:

You asked why a player needed to worry about money in the NBA. I responded that beyond their time in the NBA, which is an unknown, what most players eventually care about is maximizing earnings for their future.

Even if you factor in all the players that become coaches, or media correspondents, or savvy investments, that success stories of those that retired from the NBA represent a tiny fraction of players.

So yes, when I said players worry about money, you say nope, I then provide justification for it, and then you assume it's easy for players to find income after retirement. I can name as many bankrupcies as success stories.

Oh and thanks for the condescension. For your next trick, will it be ad hominem?

#38 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                • 2,303 posts
                • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:21 PM

Not really sure what the point is here. Just move on. In fact I would like to see this get back track if there is any more posting, thank you in advance.

How sweet it is!

#39 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                • 4,128 posts
                • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:25 PM

Not really sure what the point is here. Just move on. In fact I would like to see this get back track if there is any more posting, thank you in advance.

You are right, sir.  kdo, sorry about the condescension...I give what I get.

Here is a link to Morey's interview this morning if anyone wants to check it out.  LINK

#40 kdo

kdo

• Members
                • Pip
                • 29 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:29 PM

You are right, sir.  kdo, sorry about the condescension...I give what I get.

Here is a link to Morey's interview this morning if anyone wants to check it out.  LINK

My apologies as well. I do like good discourse, especially with like-minded individuals, but I tend be defensive at times.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users