Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (21 November 2015 - 02:31 AM) our team is just embarassing
@  cointurtlemoose : (19 November 2015 - 07:11 AM) That was the most Corey Brewer thing I have ever seen
@  majik19 : (19 November 2015 - 04:20 AM) how the hell did that happen? maybe just switching from McHale to JB will change our bad luck...
@  Willk : (19 November 2015 - 03:58 AM) in my face
@  bboley24 : (19 November 2015 - 03:55 AM) So that just happened
@  Cooper : (19 November 2015 - 03:53 AM) got the win
@  Willk : (19 November 2015 - 02:06 AM) fire McHale! playing like crap again
@  SadLakerFan : (18 November 2015 - 06:21 PM) It's unfair, but it's the right move because it's the only move major move they had available to them. But, it seems just a tad premature - I wonder what was really said in the player meeting.
@  majik19 : (18 November 2015 - 06:03 PM) So much for building off continuity now that the core is in place... It's probably about time for another "Morey's Plan" article from Rahat.
@  txtdo1411 : (18 November 2015 - 05:26 PM) No problem. He definitely made it clear that changes will continue to be made until we are winning again.
@  cointurtlemoose : (18 November 2015 - 05:19 PM) Thanks for the link, txtdo; good words from Morey, I thought
@  cointurtlemoose : (18 November 2015 - 05:14 PM) Wow, I expected this 6 or 7 games from now if things didn't change... This seems a tad early. And they better have a replacement actually in mind and ready to hire, otherwise this seems like a misguided move
@  txtdo1411 : (18 November 2015 - 05:13 PM) Its going on right now.
@  txtdo1411 : (18 November 2015 - 05:13 PM) http://api.viglink.c...9&title=Rockets Press Conference 11am - ClutchFans&txt=http://www.khou.com/videos/news/loca...7/29/12651418/
@  slick shoes : (18 November 2015 - 05:12 PM) Anyone know where to listen in to the DM press conference?
@  DenverRocket : (18 November 2015 - 04:50 PM) Shocked too, but then again not. Something had to give. I can't see JB being given the reins f/t. Surely they have a contingency? Thibs?
@  txtdo1411 : (18 November 2015 - 04:48 PM) I wonder if the plan is to find a replacement fairly quickly, or to give JB a shot. I'm trying to understand how things would change, since JB has been in the locker room all year. The players are going to give him effort now just because McHale is gone?
@  majik19 : (18 November 2015 - 04:22 PM) just shocked. I feel like this is now a lost season. We were struggling under McHale, but do we really think J.B. can lead us to a championship?
@  thenit : (18 November 2015 - 04:19 PM) Its becoming a winner or becoming Melo, great scorer but not coachable
@  Mario Peña : (18 November 2015 - 04:14 PM) I'm disappointed in the players too. Here is Harden's chance, win a championship or get relegated to being considered a guy that can't get on the same page with a coach.

Photo

Summer League 2014

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#61 bernardo

bernardo

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:47 AM

Seriously when did LMA start playing in the summer league? Did the Rockets even play the Blazers in Orlando or Vegas?

This. We're playing a final in 20 minutes. I know it's just summer league, but with our nice showing in the tournament we could have a productive bench next season. Of course, NBA competition isn't SL competition, they certainly need more experience. But in this elimination rounds I've seen a good team beating what would appear to be better rosters on paper.

#62 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,162 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:15 AM

well that last summer league game should kind a take the wind out the sails of those overblowing the potential within that squad................thoughts!

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#63 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 406 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:16 AM

Seriously when did LMA start playing in the summer league? Did the Rockets even play the Blazers in Orlando or Vegas?

We played them last Sunday and lost by 8. The LMA references were in regards to D-Mo, a Summer League Player. Sorry for the hi-jack.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#64 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 406 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:18 AM

well that last summer league game should kind a take the wind out the sails of those overblowing the potential within that squad................thoughts!

Canaan and D-Mo were the only real stories on the SL team. I was impressed with their showing and they're both going to be role players this season so my sail is still full of wind.

#65 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,008 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:44 AM

So 4 games in 5 days, with back-back-back games had nothing to do with it? There is only 4 players on the D-League team that is even going to be brought to preseason camp. Even the big team laid some eggs during the regular season last year. Canaan showed me what he can do when he went after Wiggins, then took over the semi-final game. D-Mo showed he loves Playing in Vegas, and when he slows down can score from anywhere on the court. Johnson has been busy for three weeks straight, plus I see him getting his Darryl Morey Rookie Redshirt this year in RGV. And Covington had some bright spots as well. One game does not a season make.

#66 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,186 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:21 AM

I saw, more or less, exactly what I expected.  Covington's play is a bit erratic, but he showed flashes of everything he can bring to the table: shot-blocking, drive and dish, offensive rebounding, and some defense.  Our jumpers were short.  We couldn't seem to finish at the rim.  Those things are usually signs of fatigue.

In response to RBF...

Contender_sailing_dinghy.jpg

#67 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,636 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:37 AM

I was very impressed by Cannan, Johnson, and especially Dmo. All I want from covington is to become a decent backup 3&D SF, anything more and that's just gravy.

#68 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,162 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:07 PM

@JG

I still believe in Canaan, Covington and N-Johnson, but was pretty unimpressed with the remaining players. D-Mo looked good, but I'm losing confidence in him. Canaan is ready. Covington is still a year away. N-Johnson is ready for spot duty. D-Mo is ready for the trade market :lol: I agree that fatigue played a role In defeat, but didn't the opposition play the same schedule? excuses are plentiful if you need one. I like to put a positive spin on things too, however there just isn't much here. all things considered I grade summer league both Orlando and Vegas a C+

Edited by rockets best fan, 22 July 2014 - 04:07 PM.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#69 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,186 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:43 PM

@JG

I still believe in Canaan, Covington and N-Johnson, but was pretty unimpressed with the remaining players. D-Mo looked good, but I'm losing confidence in him. Canaan is ready. Covington is still a year away. N-Johnson is ready for spot duty. D-Mo is ready for the trade market :lol: I agree that fatigue played a role In defeat, but didn't the opposition play the same schedule? excuses are plentiful if you need one. I like to put a positive spin on things too, however there just isn't much here. all things considered I grade summer league both Orlando and Vegas a C+

Geez, "excuses" and "reasons" seem to be interchangeable words depending on how one chooses to perceive things.  It's not an excuse--Sacramento looked bad too.  We played the exact way we wanted to.  We took 10 more shots than they did...unfortunately, we made 3 fewer shots than them as well.  The ball wasn't going in for us.  Let's not feed the beast here.  This is how public perception becomes reality.

McLemore went off at the end, but prior to that was a non factor finishing 4-13 from the field.  That is last year's 7th overall pick--at the end of the game he looked like it.  He hit three shots in a row with a few minutes left to help them catch up, and then McCallum hit that ridiculous running three pointer that turned the tide of the game with about 1:30 left.  Yes, there was some shoddy defense, and turnovers, but I'm, more inclined to point at Dawkins' 1-7 from 3 and Geron Johnson's 0-4, 5-foul performance as reasons things weren't working.  The Kings got hot at the right time.  It happens.  I don't think it is a good idea to play into this contrived notion that the Rockets can't finish games--people turn a blind eye to an entire season while using a handful of games to support this negative ideal.  I just don't see the benefit of doing this--yeah, we lost some games and it hurts--let's not make it some epidemic of insurmountable proportion.

Let's also not overlook that Sacramento had a roster that included 3 players with actual NBA starting experience: McCallum, McLemore, and Brooks plus an experienced bench guy in Acy plus this year's 10th overall pick in Stauskas.

Meanwhile, we've got a litany of 2nd rounders and undrafted players (aside from D-Mo who was picked 20th in the 1st) going toe to toe with these guys while having little NBA experience.  Let the Doom and Gloomers say what they will.  I prefer a positive perspective in seeing that these guys are exceeding expectations and, in my opinion, 4 of these guys looked like they belong on an NBA court--5 if you count Tarik Black who was great on the glass, but otherwise a disaster.  Perhaps, he can eventually serve a Reggie Evans type role for us.

Canaan needs to stop trying to shoot lay-ups through the hands of guys who are 10 inches taller than him--other than that, I like what he's bringing to the floor.  Johnson's shot hasn't been falling, but everything else looks solid--the shot will come around.  D-Mo was dropping his shoulder into would-be drivers to the rim--I loved that.  The only time he didn't get the charging call (that I remember) was when he flopped.  I also think Covington will see time with us this season.  He will make mistakes, but his hustle, energy, and athleticism are worth it.

#70 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,162 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:12 PM

@JG

sorry just hard to get excited about SL, especially when I don't see immediate help bursting from the squad talent wise.

#71 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 406 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:51 PM

@JG

sorry just hard to get excited about SL, especially when I don't see immediate help bursting from the squad talent wise.

Were you expecting any of these players to be starters? Most of these guys are just trying to make the roster. Our bench players are improving. That is the main conclusion at the end of the tournament, no matter how irrelevant you may deem it.

#72 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 2,008 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:06 PM

@JG

Canaan, D-Mo and Covington will all be rotation players this season.

#73 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 406 posts
          • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:21 PM

Canaan, D-Mo and Covington will all be rotation players this season.

I have to believe that we will see a few minutes of Johnson at some point. We aren't terribly limited on roster slots currently.

Edited by slick shoes, 22 July 2014 - 11:21 PM.

#74 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 2,008 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:24 AM

I have to believe that we will see a few minutes of Johnson at some point. We aren't terribly limited on roster slots currently.

Johnson will get the Darryl Morey Rookie Redshirt @ RGV this season.

#75 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
            • 2,321 posts
            • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:42 AM

I agree with ya'll on some of the commentary here about the guys we knew were being expected to deliver but there were times I liked what Andre Dawkins brought however limited it was. I would like him to join the Vipers and see if he can integrate himself and gain confidence about the specific role he could play in the Rockets (Vipers) offensive schemes a couple years down the road.

How sweet it is!

#76 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 4,162 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:28 AM

@slick shoes

NO.......I wasn't expecting starters, however I don't see to many NBA ready players outside of Canaan and maybe N-Johnson and D-Mo for spot duty. I'm unimpressed with the others

#77 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,636 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:56 AM

Perfect statement JG, hit every note.

#78 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
              • 4,186 posts
              • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:07 PM

I agree with ya'll on some of the commentary here about the guys we knew were being expected to deliver but there were times I liked what Andre Dawkins brought however limited it was. I would like him to join the Vipers and see if he can integrate himself and gain confidence about the specific role he could play in the Rockets (Vipers) offensive schemes a couple years down the road.

Dawkins only shows up in highlights knocking down 3's and I didn't see too much of what else he can do in the SAC game...How is his passing, dribbling, rebounding, defense, etc?  In other words, does he have anything else going for him besides an outside shot?

@Steven, I think you are right that Johnson starts out in RGV, but it very well may not last past the trade deadline....for multiple reasons.  It could be injury problems, a trade that costs us some of our bench  :) , or he earns it by playing well.

#79 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 406 posts
              • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:27 PM

@Steven, I think you are right that Johnson starts out in RGV, but it very well may not last past the trade deadline....for multiple reasons.  It could be injury problems, a trade that costs us some of our bench  :) , or he earns it by playing well.

We just inked him to a 3 year deal. Sounds to me like they want to see what he can do.

#80 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 2,008 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:03 PM

@JG
                He will get to play some during the year. But besides Parsons, has there been a single rookie in the rotation regularly throughout his rookie year?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users