Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Summer League 2014

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#21 txtdo1411

txtdo1411

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:55 PM

Wow. As soon as Parsons is out the door, his likely comparison is Mike Miller.... I don't know what to say to that.

Haha I agree. He will be lucky to ever reach Mike Miller's level of play  :P

#22 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
  • 2,308 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:06 PM

Really timetodie?

Anyway, I have to agree with much of the sentiment here but then again I'm looking forward to some of these guys getting run with the Vipers and having a better formed opinion about midway through the season. Halfway through the season we should have an idea as to whether Motiejunas, Canaan, Covington and Daniels sink or swim and then if any of the Viper prospects (Capela, Johnson, Dawkins) are improving by leaps and bounds then perhaps you bring them up. Worst case only Motiejunas makes the Rockets bench and the rest of these guys end up as trade fodder? Best case scenario Motiejunas becomes a bonafide rotation player and maybe 3 of the other guys make the Rockets bench? What do you all think?
How sweet it is!

#23 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,133 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:42 PM

Wow. As soon as Parsons is out the door, his likely comparison is Mike Miller.... I don't know what to say to that.

If Howard leaves, his comparison by JG will probably be Kwame Brown or Thabeet

See it how you like.  I'm not kicking dirt on his grave.  It's not sour grapes.  I'm sorry that my comparison offends you.  Perhaps you should look a little closer and see that the comparison is quite valid and accurate before assuming I'm behaving like a high school girl who didn't get asked to the prom.

I want Parsons to succeed and do well--I've always liked him and still do.  That does not mean I think he is a max player or that he can be our Melo/LBJ player (which he does believe and has said...out loud...to people...he can be LBJ/Melo for us....yeah.) LINK

Your follow up comment shows your relation to the players and how you value them.  Obviously, you think Miller is, and always has been, trash.  You also seem to have a very high opinion of Parsons which creates the disparity you are so incredulous about.

Miller is about to enter his 15th NBA season with career averages of 12 pts, 5 rebs, and 3 assists while shooting 46% from the field and 41% from 3.  Kwame Brown?  Thabeet?  Your ignorance on this matter is offensive.

The comparison is that they are both solid wing players of a similar size and skill set that, more than likely, will wind up having similar careers hampered by injury.  That's the deal.

#24 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,133 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:48 PM

It would be hard for them to play to together with Daniels being the tallest at 6-4 and not terribly athletic. The bench has a lot to prove but could end up solid especially if Capella or That Kostas guy can make a decent impact.

Miller is an unfair comp for Parsons who's taller more athletic and already a better passer/ball handler.

Yeah, I wasn't clear there...I didn't mean all 3 together....that would be some super-small ball  :lol:

Miller used to be a different guy...his legs went away a long time ago.

Check out this video from 2007...remind you of anyone we know?  Notice the knee braces...his legs are already starting to go at this point.

#25 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,133 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:57 PM

Really timetodie?

Anyway, I have to agree with much of the sentiment here but then again I'm looking forward to some of these guys getting run with the Vipers and having a better formed opinion about midway through the season. Halfway through the season we should have an idea as to whether Motiejunas, Canaan, Covington and Daniels sink or swim and then if any of the Viper prospects (Capela, Johnson, Dawkins) are improving by leaps and bounds then perhaps you bring them up. Worst case only Motiejunas makes the Rockets bench and the rest of these guys end up as trade fodder? Best case scenario Motiejunas becomes a bonafide rotation player and maybe 3 of the other guys make the Rockets bench? What do you all think?

I think Motie is ready.  We've got a young back up PG, SG, and PF/C....if we bring in Kostas that shores up the SF and we are 10 deep.   :o

Overly optimistic?  Maybe.... :wub:

#26 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:22 PM

I'm sorry that I exaggerated a bit. Are you saying that Parsons is close to what Miller was before his injuries? I'd say their numbers look similar with Parsons being taller. Miller wasn't that bad in his prime. I don't think that Parsons is a franchise player, but I also don't think it's fair to write off him as injury prone. Which is what you're insinuating.

Why so Serious? :D

#27 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
  • 2,308 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:34 PM

I never got the impression that johnnygold was implying that Parsons will be injury prone. I don't understand how you get that. Why does this topic have to get sidetracked like this?

How sweet it is!

#28 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,133 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:36 PM

I'm sorry that I exaggerated a bit. Are you saying that Parsons is close to what Miller was before his injuries? I'd say their numbers look similar with Parsons being taller. Miller wasn't that bad in his prime. I don't think that Parsons is a franchise player, but I also don't think it's fair to write off him as injury prone. Which is what you're insinuating.

That's fair, I suppose.  Miller was 6'9" (per draftexpress)--not that big of a difference.  I also think Parsons athleticism is over-rated.  He has learned to use long strides to compensate, but defenders are already getting keen to that.

You are correct that writing him off as injury-prone this early is presumptuous on my part.  Back injuries....that typically spells doom...especially in the lower back.  We've all seen it.  It's especially true for tall people--it's just physics.  I'm "only" 6' 5" and it's an issue for me.  Had to quit playing at 30...just couldn't do it anymore.  I'd play for 3-4 hours and be crippled for a week.  Not worth it.

The list of players who have been able to successfully overcome lower back issues is short...don't take my word for it.  This article talks about Dwight's injury and NBA players with back issues in general.  LINK

In short, Dwight is a rarity.  1/4 of players never return.  The vast majority retire by 3 years once it occurs.

#29 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,133 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:37 PM

I never got the impression that johnnygold was implying that Parsons will be injury prone. I don't understand how you get that. Why does this topic have to get sidetracked like this?

I did imply it.  No big deal.  Sorry I keep stealing your threads  :P

#30 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,133 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:43 PM

One last thing on the Miller-Parsons comparison...Found this excerpt from draftexpress.....Interesting....

May 15, 2008

Overview:Miller has quietly developed into one of the most versatile and efficient offensive threats in the game. Miller is a multi-faceted offense threat, good with the shot, the drive, and the pass. He often plays more than one position during the course of a game, including a point-forward type role in some stretches. Miller is best suited to be a team’s 3rd option, where his overall floor game can benefit the team greatest. He is capable of explosive scoring games, but not consistently enough to be a first or second option.

From DraftExpress.comhttp://www.draftexpr...m#ixzz37edSPdvE
http://www.draftexpress.com

That is Parsons to a "T".  The only difference being that Morey doesn't see him as that 3rd guy, but Cuban does.

#31 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
  • 2,308 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:12 PM

Well that's my mistake johnnygold and timetodie. I will step aside here. Sorry timetodie you were right. As far as this side discussion I'm out of here.

Now back to the Summer League Rockets team. Are the Rockets games not on CSNH anymore because the tournament has started? I believe today is the beginning of the first round. Is anyone watching tonight and how? (besides Summer League Pass)

How sweet it is!

#32 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:16 PM

Well that's my mistake johnnygold and timetodie. I will step aside here. Sorry timetodie you were right. As far as this side discussion I'm out of here.

Now back to the Summer League Rockets team. Are the Rockets games not on CSNH anymore because the tournament has started? I believe today is the beginning of the first round. Is anyone watching tonight and how? (besides Summer League Pass)

Pretty sure theyre on ESPN?

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#33 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,133 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:10 PM

NBA TV 7:30 tonight....might be able to get a feed through NBA.com...try this link

#34 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:18 AM

anyone have any highlights from tonights game? heard good things but was in class while it was being broadcasted.

Edited by slick shoes, 18 July 2014 - 04:18 AM.

#35 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:36 AM

http://www.nba.com/g...E/gameinfo.html

small recap there. Canaan was great, Johnson made some nice plays. Dmo did what he should to summer league talent.

#36 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 354 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:02 PM

http://www.nba.com/g...E/gameinfo.html

small recap there. Canaan was great, Johnson made some nice plays. Dmo did what he should to summer league talent.

Thanks. Wish there wasn't so much focus on Wiggins and more on the overall game but what can you expect with a #1 overall.

#37 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,133 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:23 PM

Isaiah Canaan takes Wiggins off the dribble.  I believe this move is called the funky chicken.

LINK

#38 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 354 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:47 PM

Isaiah Canaan takes Wiggins off the dribble.  I believe this move is called the funky chicken.

LINK

I know it's only the summer league but I've been really pleased with D-Mo and Cannanball's showing thus far. Seems like they both REALLY want a starting slot on the roster and believe they can achieve it.

#39 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,636 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:04 AM

I've been saying it, Dmo's breakout year is coming yall! Hopefully cannan can be a reliable shooter and maybe even the 6th man.

#40 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,865 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:54 PM

I've been saying it, Dmo's breakout year is coming yall! Hopefully cannan can be a reliable shooter and maybe even the 6th man.

OK, Bucko----I'm taking you at your word----Dmo's breakout year is coming (or did you imply it's coming in like the year 2020, I hope not!)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users