Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

Let's Talk About Defense

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#41 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:08 PM

The rockets are looking for a 3rd string center behind dwight and Dmo, so it shouldn't be much of a problem to find one. If lebron comes here, I could see Birdman flying in right behind him.

Oh yeah, he (substitute any of the above names of your choice) kicked ass in this year's playoffs and would clearly improve the Rockets next season..................

Same odds as England winning the World Cup this year.

What the? Actually I don't care for what the point was of that incoherent rumbling.

#42 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,124 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:08 PM

@TTDN

I give them credit for 19th and it was all Mike Brown's doing :lol:

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#43 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,128 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:49 PM

@TTDN

I give them credit for 19th and it was all Mike Brown's doing :lol:

LOL  :lol:

#44 CC.

CC.

Rookie

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 72 posts
    • LocationTX

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:25 PM

What's the current situation on our 25th pick? Clint Capela? Fansided/NBA Rumors is stating he wants to play next season with Houston. Can he play the role of center or PF? His height is fine, wing-span is great for C but I don't know how his bulk stacks up. A 'bloody raw' Serge Ibaka.

#45 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,636 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:09 PM

He needs to add weight, but has the frame to support it. Extremely raw on both sides of the floor but great rebounder and shot blocker with fantastic athleticism. Best upside outside the top ten picks, but seriously doubt him coming over this year. I think they want to stash him and let him develop for at least one year. 

#46 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 347 posts
      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:40 PM

He needs to add weight, but has the frame to support it. Extremely raw on both sides of the floor but great rebounder and shot blocker with fantastic athleticism. Best upside outside the top ten picks, but seriously doubt him coming over this year. I think they want to stash him and let him develop for at least one year. 

If we strike out on all top tier free agents, I say bring him over for the SL and see how he does. Can we not send him back if we don't think hes even ready for the RGVV's?

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#47 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 347 posts
      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:59 PM

It doesn't matter--odds are we're getting Hollins--I just can't fathom how you can't see Brown's ability to be a high-level def. coordinator.  You talk like he struggles to tie his shoes in the morning.

Moving on, I think most of us agree that a new, improved system combined with more familiarity/experience will produce much better results.

Pretty sure Kidd going to the Bucks (what?!) ruins our shot at Hollins for Associate Head Coach. Random and lame for the Red Team.

#48 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,128 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:34 PM

Pretty sure Kidd going to the Bucks (what?!) ruins our shot at Hollins for Associate Head Coach. Random and lame for the Red Team.

That's fine.  I'm guessing Morey keeps a list of coaches 50+ long for a few diff. categories: leadership, offense, defense, player development, etc.  One of those defense guys will be on our sideline next season.

I think Morey could snag a solid college guy like Tommy Amaker (Harvard), Greg Marshall (Wichita St.), Steve Fisher (SDSU), or Tony Bennet (UVA).  Eh, probably not Fisher...maybe Thad Motta (Ohio St.)?

#49 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 347 posts
      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:03 PM

That's fine.  I'm guessing Morey keeps a list of coaches 50+ long for a few diff. categories: leadership, offense, defense, player development, etc.  One of those defense guys will be on our sideline next season.

I think Morey could snag a solid college guy like Tommy Amaker (Harvard), Greg Marshall (Wichita St.), Steve Fisher (SDSU), or Tony Bennet (UVA).  Eh, probably not Fisher...maybe Thad Motta (Ohio St.)?

I'm just really high on Hollins. Love what he did in Memphis. I think he could reign in all of our personalities and egos as well. Seems like a "i don't give a crap who you are, you're going to play the way I say" type of dude.

#50 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,124 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:24 AM

@slick shoes

I agree.................that's why I like him

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#51 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 347 posts
      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:05 PM

@slick shoes

I agree.................that's why I like him

Thanks Jason Kidd for ruining this dream for me.

#52 Willk

Willk

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 311 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:55 PM

I never really bought into one of JG's theories about Harden's poor defense being that somebody is instructing Harden not to try  hard on defense so that he stays out of foul trouble, but I heard an interview with Doug McDermott's college head coach today that has me re-thinking JG's theory. McDermott's coach was asked about how bad McDermott looked on defense and how he was going to play for Tom Thibodeau (a defensive minded coach). McDermott's coach stated he instructed McDermott to do everything possible to not pick-up fouls because of how important it was to have him on the floor. McDermott's coach then said that McDermott will play good defense when he does not have to carry a team. Sounds like someone on the Rockets. Sorry for disagreeing with you JG.

#53 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPipPip
        • 671 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:16 PM

So even in late in the game with few fouls he still doesn't play D in the playoffs, that would be instructed? I just think its more attitude and that it will be addressed either by a veteran leader or new coach. I think that some part of it may be the case during the regular season but even in the big games he loses focus, hopefully this will just be a young guy that needs time or we can find a coach with a  proper scheme to hide him better.

#54 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 4,128 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:26 PM

I never really bought into one of JG's theories about Harden's poor defense being that somebody is instructing Harden not to try  hard on defense so that he stays out of foul trouble, but I heard an interview with Doug McDermott's college head coach today that has me re-thinking JG's theory. McDermott's coach was asked about how bad McDermott looked on defense and how he was going to play for Tom Thibodeau (a defensive minded coach). McDermott's coach stated he instructed McDermott to do everything possible to not pick-up fouls because of how important it was to have him on the floor. McDermott's coach then said that McDermott will play good defense when he does not have to carry a team. Sounds like someone on the Rockets. Sorry for disagreeing with you JG.

It's still just a theory until someone on the Rockets comes out and says it.  As I've always said, I do think he can do better and needs to learn to  play without fouling and when it is ok to use some of his fouls.  I think we will see a very improved Rockets defense next season--both individually and in team concept as well.

#55 Willk

Willk

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 311 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:47 PM

It's still just a theory until someone on the Rockets comes out and says it.  As I've always said, I do think he can do better and needs to learn to  play without fouling and when it is ok to use some of his fouls.  I think we will see a very improved Rockets defense next season--both individually and in team concept as well.

I totally agree. I just thought it was interesting to hear a coach admit to telling a player to basically not play D.

After hearing all of the exit interviews, it seemed defense was the common theme as to what needs to be improved. I think everybody will improve on the defensive end next year.

#56 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 2,008 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:52 AM

McDermott's coach was McDermott's dad.

#57 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 4,124 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:07 AM

good point Steven

#58 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
              • 2,303 posts
              • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:58 PM

I also have had a hunch that for some time, probably since Harden's first season as a Rocket, that the directive from above is that Harden needs to not engage in challenging isolation defense from not only a foul limiting strategy but also to conserve energy. I am guessing that Morey has specific numbers that show him that Harden's defense is not essential as the team has been developing in this mid tier stage the past two years.

How sweet it is!

#59 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 2,596 posts
              • LocationAlabama

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:14 PM

Hardens man defense is not that bad. The real problem is the fact that he gives up when he gets screened off ball and his guy gets a wide open 3 or he ball watches and gives up a wide open 3. I'm okay with the other aspects of his defense but the perceived lack of effort is frustrating. Why would it matter if he was told not to foul? Closing out on a 3 point shooter and forcing a midrange shot doesn't cause a foul.

I hope he gets more focused next year but I just don't buy the don't foul argument.

Why so Serious? :D

#60 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
              • 2,303 posts
              • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:24 PM

I know Harden's defense isn't that bad. That is not what we are discussing above.
              How sweet it is!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users