Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

Let's Talk About Defense

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#101 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
  • 2,303 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:45 PM

Man I wish Morey could work some magic and get Bledsoe who is represented by Rich Paul. That could be a good connection to start and cement for just as much off the court reasons as on the court reasons.

How devastating could defense be at the point guard position with Beverley and Bledsoe? I can't imagine a tougher wing defense crew than Beverley, Bledsoe and Ariza.
How sweet it is!

#102 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,128 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:52 PM

Man I wish Morey could work some magic and get Bledsoe who is represented by Rich Paul. That could be a good connection to start and cement for just as much off the court reasons as on the court reasons.

How devastating could defense be at the point guard position with Beverley and Bledsoe? I can't imagine a tougher wing defense crew than Beverley, Bledsoe and Ariza.

I agree.  Combine that with Dwight Howard and I think all those "terrible" late game collapses will be forgotten quickly.

#103 RudyT1995

RudyT1995

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:25 PM

I like Bledsoe too, but his durability is a big concern.  Durability seems to get ignored a lot on this forum when discussing potential player acquisitions in general.  

He didn't play starter minutes in college.  Didn't play starter minutes his first three years as a pro.  And only managed to stay on the court for half the season in his first year as a starter.

Bledsoe missed half the season last year with a knee injury.  He also missed half the season in '12 with the same injury to the same knee.  He's had at least two operations that we know of to repair or trim a torn meniscus in this right knee.  That's a big red flag for a player that relies on explosive athleticism to make an impact.

#104 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,124 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:48 PM

@RudyT1995

interesting point you raise..............the injury factor. I'm no doctor and I agree there is reason for concern, but Meniscus isn't as important to the knee as some other vital areas like ACL's or MCL's. some players have them removed all together. I don't believe there will be a big problem....at least not in the next four years.  if we get a chance to grab him.......to let it slip away over injury concerns would be unwise IMO

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#105 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,128 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:35 PM

I like Bledsoe too, but his durability is a big concern.  Durability seems to get ignored a lot on this forum when discussing potential player acquisitions in general.  

He didn't play starter minutes in college.  Didn't play starter minutes his first three years as a pro.  And only managed to stay on the court for half the season in his first year as a starter.

Bledsoe missed half the season last year with a knee injury.  He also missed half the season in '12 with the same injury to the same knee.  He's had at least two operations that we know of to repair or trim a torn meniscus in this right knee.  That's a big red flag for a player that relies on explosive athleticism to make an impact.

I was discussed a couple of days ago in the 2014-15 roster thread.  LINK

#106 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 347 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:58 PM

That's the thing, Slick Shoes.  The "Lin Marketing Myth" gets brought up relentlessly.  People read that Wall Street Journal article which came out shortly after Linsanity first hit (it hugely misconstrued reality for sensationalism) which claimed his value at around $150M for whatever franchise held him.  Ever since then, it has been near impossible to reason with those who believe that "reality".

Essentially, the Lakers are paying $15M for Lin and a late 1st rounder with the potential to earn an extra $500K in sales.

Still no news on the Bledsoe front.

I am not saying that I buy in to it, but maybe the Lakers do? going back to my first post regarding this issue until now. it is all speculation. I think the Lakers are pleased with having Jeremy Lin on the team. Maybe they think he will help sell jerseys (yes i know that the league shares in jersey sales blah blah), game tickets, hot dog/beer sales, whatever. All I AM saying is that they believe there will be a return on investment in some way or another. I cannot force myself to believe that they are willing to pay $15 mil for a draft pick alone.

EDIT: On the Bledsoe front, the Suns President seems pretty determined to keep him on the roster last I heard.

Edited by slick shoes, 22 July 2014 - 10:59 PM.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#107 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 347 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:03 PM

@RudyT1995

interesting point you raise..............the injury factor. I'm no doctor and I agree there is reason for concern, but Meniscus isn't as important to the knee as some other vital areas like ACL's or MCL's. some players have them removed all together. I don't believe there will be a big problem....at least not in the next four years.  if we get a chance to grab him.......to let it slip away over injury concerns would be unwise IMO

I would venture to say that most parts of the body that we are born with are of some importance. Having a meniscus removed is typically a last resort. All of the scenarious were discussed in depth when Bev tore his against Philly last season and was questionable to come back for the rest of the season. Westbrook tore his (ironically enough during a play with our beloved Bev) and was out for quite an extended period of time to have his repaired because it was the best option for him long term. Wade had his removed and we are now seeing the results of having them removed.

#108 RudyT1995

RudyT1995

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 228 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:36 PM

@RudyT1995

No.  The recovery rate for ligament tears, like an ACL tear, is pretty good these days.  It's not uncommon for players to get back almost 100% of their strength after proper rehab.

The recovery rate for a torn Meniscus, on the other hand is not so good.  The amount of damage makes a big difference, but in a lot of cases, you're looking at a degenerative condition for which there is no treatment.   You can manage the condition, but you're never getting back to full strength.  It basically becomes a ticking clock.

#109 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
      • 2,303 posts
      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:06 AM

Nah, most of the other comments I have made about Bledsoe acknowledged there are injury concerns but maybe you didn't see that, that's cool. I guess I will write it again. It seems to me with Bledsoe there are injury concerns just as there are to some degree or another with Beverley and Rondo. That's going to be the issue going forward if any of these guys start for the Rockets. 

I hope Morey finds someone to fill Beverley's shoes when he needs short stretches because the way he plays he will need time to mend as the 82 game schedule goes on.

I still just don't believe the Rockets have the package to get Ainge to send Rondo to Houston.

How sweet it is!

#110 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,124 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:16 AM

@RudyT1995

Wade did have his removed how many years ago? my point is Bledsoe still has his, but even if it became necessary to remove it it's not like he's no good from that point on. Yes it may limit his playing time, but not over the next four years........the time we would be committed to him.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#111 RudyT1995

RudyT1995

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 228 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:07 AM

@RudyT1995

Wade did have his removed how many years ago? my point is Bledsoe still has his, but even if it became necessary to remove it it's not like he's no good from that point on. Yes it may limit his playing time, but not over the next four years........the time we would be committed to him.

and how many times has Wade managed to play 82 games in a season?  And his career is basically the best case scenario for a player who lost a Meniscus early.  Most guys can't do what he has managed to do.  It's funny when people try to use an outlier to prove a point and don't understand that an outlier is an outlier for a reason.

Anyway, my point about Bledsoe isn't that it's impossible to have a productive career with a Meniscus injury, it's that the odds aren't in his favor.  In particular with Bledsoe, he has played only one full season in four years in the pros, and he only averaged 20 minutes in that one season.  He's had a relatively light work load and still hasn't been able to stay healthy.  And it's not like he had one fluky injury and was fine after that.  He had the same injury in the same knee more than two years apart.   That's just not a good sign.  

#112 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,128 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:10 AM

While it is very common, and near full recovery is likely there is also the chance that he ends up like these guys: Gilbert Arenas, Derrick Rose, and Brandon Roy.  All recent casualties to meniscus injury.  For those who say, "Rose isn't done yet!"  First, that "yet" is not far off.  Second, ask Chicago fans about the last two seasons.

From the horse's mouth: Dwyane Wade Regrets Surgery

Bledsoe has had a repair and a partial removal...the red flag is there...in a big way.

It is easy to shrug it off, but it is very serious and comes with the not fun reality of arthritis in the knee sooner than later--especially if they continue to stress it.

#113 RudyT1995

RudyT1995

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 228 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:11 AM

Nah, most of the other comments I have made about Bledsoe acknowledged there are injury concerns but maybe you didn't see that, that's cool. 

I didn't mean to offend.  I didn't say that durability was "completely" ignored in discussions.  I said that it was ignored "a lot" and it is.  Not by you or JG, obviously.  But by others.

#114 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
          • 2,303 posts
          • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:24 AM

No worries RudyT, I just wanted to make it clear that I was fully aware of the injury/health part of the equation. Anyway, you know what we have no way of really knowing enough information to make a sound decision either way but you're probably right and maybe it's better the Rockets look elsewhere for players to bring in.

Now I am getting really curious to see what happens to Bledsoe.

How sweet it is!

#115 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
          • 2,303 posts
          • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:27 AM

So bringing it back to the Rockets defense I have to say I'm worried about the point guard position. I know Beverley will do his thing but the way he plays I kind of expect him to miss about 25 games a season if the starting job remains on his shoulders, can he sustain his style of attacking defense for 82 games as a starter?

How sweet it is!

#116 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 2,008 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:38 AM

So bringing it back to the Rockets defense I have to say I'm worried about the point guard position. I know Beverley will do his thing but the way he plays I kind of expect him to miss about 25 games a season if the starting job remains on his shoulders, can he sustain his style of attacking defense for 82 games as a starter?

He has too or he will go back to Moscow.

#117 redfaithful

redfaithful

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 211 posts
            • LocationIsrael

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:47 AM

backintheussr.jpg

#118 slick shoes

slick shoes

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 347 posts
            • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:18 PM

Not only the 82 games of the regular season, but we have to also give thought to how he will/would look in the playoffs. When he went down last season we were pretty much dead in the water.

#119 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 4,124 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:47 PM

@slick shoes

I agree...........I more concerned at what he will look like at playoff time. while some here have begun to panic we must remember the Rockets aren't finished building yet.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users