Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Adding insult to injury: the Spurs against the Blazers

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 bladad

bladad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:05 PM

@bladad

the "just super saiyin" comment may have been funny if it weren't following and insult. one thing I learned from being in this forum, no one can control what come out of your mouth but you. it's not what goes in that defiles a man, but what comes out. even if you felt that someone hit you below the belt does that make you any better if you return the favor? answer that question for me please

Those were his words. Not mine.

Not going to sit by and watch him abuse a member and act like a holier than thou hypocite.

Edited by bladad, 14 May 2014 - 06:08 PM.

#62 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
    • 2,309 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:26 PM

Do what you have to do bladad and I'll keep on doing what I have been doing here since before you were here and probably long after. You fly your flag sir or save whoever needs to be saved (or whatever you're doing) and I will help look after Red94.

How sweet it is!

#63 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,125 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:28 PM

@bladad

you dance around  the question quite nicely, but you didn't answer it. if you see someone acting what you believe to be out of line does it make you any better if you act of line too? so what's the premise for that ..........monkey see monkey do? there are no one-up man trophies to be won here. how you act reflects on you and you alone. I read this advice on another forum, but this looks like the right spot for it................" I no longer wrestle with pigs. for 1 you get dirty and 2 the pig likes it." not calling anybody names before you get bent out of shape, just making an analogy. the high road is not always the easiest or most popular to take, but part of a man's character is exposed by his choice

Edited by rockets best fan, 14 May 2014 - 06:32 PM.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#64 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
    • 2,309 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:31 PM

I love your analogies rockets best fan, those little kernels of wisdom.

How sweet it is!

#65 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,134 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:05 PM

Those were his words. Not mine.

Not going to sit by and watch him abuse a member and act like a holier than thou hypocite.

They were his words...some of them, that is.

Here is what you attribute to him: "uninspired drivel", "wacky" "senselessness"?  that's the same as saying, "your post reads like a retarded buffoon's blowhole". 

Now, those first three are taken out of context.  They were either directed at the post itself, or at "wacky" Lin sites.  The blowhole comment was actually made by rottendoubt himself--so give credit where credit is due.

The member was not abused--the post was.  It's not about agreeing or disagreeing, censorship, or bias.  That post reads like the comments section beneath an ESPN article--and that's not what we're about here.

We're not against discussing Harden trades or his faults....I guarantee if you mention a trade of Harden for Kevin Love many members' ears will perk up.

The grandstanding needs to be put to rest, in my opinion.  Nothing happened here except a sub-standard post getting called what it is.  Just because it happened to a "persecuted" group does not make it a hate crime.  I like how it goes unnoticed (more like ignored) that at nearly the same time another member received similar treatment for their lousy post--which had nothing to do with Lin, or Harden, or any of that stuff.  Set down your pitchforks and put on your big boy pants--this is a non-issue.

Actually, please re-direct your pitchforks back where they were before....

kevin-mchale-frankenstein.jpg

#66 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,125 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:13 PM

@JG

I see you found that picture I love :lol: now group that with Mr. potato head and we got something :lol:

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#67 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
    • 2,309 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:18 PM

@JG

I see you found that picture I love :lol: now group that with Mr. potato head and we got something :lol:

You mean something like a championship coaching team right!

How sweet it is!

#68 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,125 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:57 PM

@FSS

not exactly :lol: more like Fred and Barney on the Flinstones...........time to call in Kazoo :lol:

#69 Dusty

Dusty

• Members
    • Pip
    • 11 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:35 PM

@FSS

Okay, okay, okay. You've been on this forum for a very very long time. We get it. You've been a diehard Rockets fan for a very very long time. We get it. You're part of the old boy's club and we're the new guys. There's no reason for you to always mention that to us and belittle new posters. I came to this forum through ESPN's truehoop network. I've been reading these forums for 2 years before finally posting. And I'm sure there are hundreds who come here who lurk and read everything you're saying. You feel like because you have such a long history here that you can muscle out newer fans from posting? Just stick to the basketball discussions. You're a moderator on a blog, which is part of the ESPN truehoop network. Why are you so darn dismissive? I completely disagree with bladad's trade idea, but this is straightup bullying.

#70 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,125 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:54 PM

@Dusty

if you have a beef please take it to PM's. some of us would really like to get back to talking basketball. your post is written respectfully, but can be better handled through our PM system and leave the boards for basketball instead of arguments. I'm sure if you are unfamiliar with that system you will be sent instruction if you ask. by the way since this is my first time talking to you.......WELCOME TO THE FORUM :) I look forward to hearing you views

Edited by rockets best fan, 14 May 2014 - 08:56 PM.

#71 CT for Three

CT for Three

• Members
      • Pip
      • 23 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:18 PM

Umm yeah, in the words of the great philosopher Ron Burgundy,

"That escalated quickly..."

I have no idea what it was all about, but Obviously the Internet has started another "beef." I propose a different idea. I am probably in the minority, but I think that the Rockets would have waxed the Spurs. The Rockets have huge advantages at 2 positions against SAS. The Spurs have not been able to contain Harden all year long, even when Howard struggled. And Howard, at the end of the Portland series, was playing some of his best basketball of the season.

I get that things are a little different in the playoffs, but those matchup problems did not go away. All the pontificating by the Blazers about how it was easier for them in the first round just speaks to the matchup advantage they had against Houston that is nonexistent against SAS. I'm sure that SAS is saying, wow, this series has been much easier than the first round against Dallas... Matchup issues just get magnified in the post season. The Rockets could not guard LMA at all for the first 2 games, and lost the series because of it. POR is going to lose this series because they have no matchup advantage at any position and the Spurs have a better system, end of story.

#72 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,134 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:47 PM

I have no idea what it was all about, but Obviously the Internet has started another "beef." I propose a different idea. I am probably in the minority, but I think that the Rockets would have waxed the Spurs. The Rockets have huge advantages at 2 positions against SAS. The Spurs have not been able to contain Harden all year long, even when Howard struggled. And Howard, at the end of the Portland series, was playing some of his best basketball of the season.

I get that things are a little different in the playoffs, but those matchup problems did not go away. All the pontificating by the Blazers about how it was easier for them in the first round just speaks to the matchup advantage they had against Houston that is nonexistent against SAS. I'm sure that SAS is saying, wow, this series has been much easier than the first round against Dallas... Matchup issues just get magnified in the post season. The Rockets could not guard LMA at all for the first 2 games, and lost the series because of it. POR is going to lose this series because they have no matchup advantage at any position and the Spurs have a better system, end of story.

I agree with a lot of this.  Not sure we would have waxed the Spurs, but I think we could have exploited the match-ups better than Portland--like you said.

#73 txtdo1411

txtdo1411

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 197 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:49 PM

Match-ups are what it is all about in the playoffs. I don't think we would've waxed the Spurs, and I believe we would've lost the series, but I do think we would've put up more fight then Portland. It also helps when you have a coach that knows how to help cover up bad match-ups, and take advantage of good ones. McHale is simply not there...yet.

On a side note I feel like the officiating has been completely different in the SAS-POR series when compared to ours. Asik was unable to put a hand on Aldridge and play him physical. It was a foul immediately. Aldridge also crossed the lane and did that little hook shot with slight "bump" that called over and over again in our series. Watching the Spurs series, the officials have allowed Splitter to actually play physical with Aldridge. They aren't calling it when Splitter puts one or even two hands on him. They also aren't calling that little across the paint hook shot "foul" either. I think this is part of the reason SA has been able to largely render Aldridge ineffective. I am not blaming the officials for the series loss; we definitely were outplayed and did not make the crucial shots needed. But I think the officials really tied our hands in guarding Aldridge. When you aren't allowed to be physical with him, he is going to continue to punish the D just like we saw in our series. 

#74 bladad

bladad

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 104 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:41 PM

Match-ups are what it is all about in the playoffs. I don't think we would've waxed the Spurs, and I believe we would've lost the series, but I do think we would've put up more fight then Portland. It also helps when you have a coach that knows how to help cover up bad match-ups, and take advantage of good ones. McHale is simply not there...yet.

On a side note I feel like the officiating has been completely different in the SAS-POR series when compared to ours. Asik was unable to put a hand on Aldridge and play him physical. It was a foul immediately. Aldridge also crossed the lane and did that little hook shot with slight "bump" that called over and over again in our series. Watching the Spurs series, the officials have allowed Splitter to actually play physical with Aldridge. They aren't calling it when Splitter puts one or even two hands on him. They also aren't calling that little across the paint hook shot "foul" either. I think this is part of the reason SA has been able to largely render Aldridge ineffective. I am not blaming the officials for the series loss; we definitely were outplayed and did not make the crucial shots needed. But I think the officials really tied our hands in guarding Aldridge. When you aren't allowed to be physical with him, he is going to continue to punish the D just like we saw in our series. 

I don't think you can look at SA and ever really match up people position by position. They play such a switch heavy defense with so many different bodies coming off the bench that any player by player comparisons aren't going to capture the true nature of the matchup.

PS: Kawhi Leonerd is a beast. He'd be a superstar if he was playing for any other team.

#75 CT for Three

CT for Three

• Members
          • Pip
          • 23 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:21 PM

I agree with your note about the officiating in a broader sense. I think Silver has to get a handle on the playoff officiating in the next couple years. There has been just too much inconsistency in how the games are called. In the playoffs, especially in the West, the teams are too close in ability and skill to have games be swung so violently by officiating. Its like the refs have no concept of context to different players' games. LMA was essentially a jump shooter in the first round, but yet he consistently got more foul calls than any of the driving guards in the series not named Lillard. Its inexcusable for refs at the highest level to be missing out of bounds calls, and intentional fouls (see Paul, C. in the game 5 of the OKC/LAC series). These things make officiating more relevant to the common audience than the actual game itself. How many times is the lleague going to have to issue a correction to a call, or make a statement on playoff officiating before Silver puts a "review official" in the booth at every game to review every call. I know it sounds like overkill, but the missed calls and mistakes definitely take away from the beauty of the games that are taking place (in the West).

Correction: I just checked, and LMA shot the same number of free throws as Harden, 50 for the series. My mistake.

Edited by CT for Three, 15 May 2014 - 03:28 PM.

#76 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 4,125 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:31 PM

@CT for Three

I agree the officiating has stunk in this years playoffs. not in just our series, but overall. players adjust when they figure out how a ref will call the game, however the ref's have been inconsistent. I agree no way LMA should be getting more foul calls on fade a ways than players driving to the basket.

#77 datruth

datruth

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 162 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:44 AM

@ rock best fan

You know we both complain about McHale for almost two years now.

i don't see anything changing until he is gone. The guy doesn't have it.

I have seen Coaches with less talent fired, but somehow McHale is still here.

i don't care if we get another star I don't see us winning with this guy.

#78 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 4,125 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 17 May 2014 - 02:27 AM

@datruth

ain't that the truth........no pun intended :) 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users