Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Adding insult to injury: the Spurs against the Blazers

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#21 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:26 PM

@JG
    I  wish I shared your optimism about our outlook, but I don't. we have real problems that won't be fixed with another year of maturation. I love players that are leaders in the locker room, but the loudest voice needs to be that of the coach. ultimately it's his responsibility to lead the team. he has to be the voice of authority. many think we lost an ingredient when Sampson move on to coach U of H. I didn't agree at first, but watching our defense collapse, I think I know what it was. he was the tuff ass. he was the one who wasn't afraid to call your name when you under performed. because he had limited power.....there was only so much he could do, but when he left we lost that element all together. it appears we are stuck with McFail for another year so IMO finding someone who can provide what Sampson did is as important as any player acquisition. McFail is nothing more than a glorified cheer leader. 

as for the team fundamental flaws are present as well. PG must be addressed. we must get rid of Lin and move Beverly to backup. we must have a player to sub Harden and Parsons. I like T-Jones and believe he can take another step next year, but we must at least improve the depth at the position.......D-Mo is losing my confidence in him. we must get rid of Asik and replace him with a player who is primarily a center but can swing to PF........aka Spencer Hawes type. that's just for beginners. we are talking about bringing in possibly another star and depending on who that is it will address some of these issues if we are successful. however Morey as a lot of work in front of him.

IDEA...........put Kelvin Sampson in the lineup to guard Aldridge Games 1 and 2.............

Yeah, right.

Simply a great player doing great things for the ages.................unfortunately against our favorite team.

I do agree that the Rockets will make strategic moves this off-season and I expect our Top 8-9 Roster will be improved over what Coach McHale had to choose from while trying to find one stop or one bucket against Portland in the 2014 Playoff series.

Yep, one bucket or one stop would have changed this series completely.

Still, history shows the Rockets lost and that will never change.

So should the result be in massive changes or strategic tweaks going forward now that the Rockets have invested in James Harden and Dwight Howard for the foreseeable future?

#22 Journeymany

Journeymany

Rookie

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 54 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:55 PM

@JG
      I understand your frustration at the McHale criticism - and I also agree that it's not unfixable. Given that McHale *is* coming back, I think we have to be somewhat optimistic otherwise it'll just be a miserable year or so :P Seriously though, I think the best solution would be to hire top notch offensive and defensive coaches and just have McHale be the 'glue guy' in terms of coaching. If the players love him, that's the perfect role - he can be the good cop as long as the other coaches are allowed to be bad cop and actually enforce the systems put in.

@RBF, rocketrick
      I'm not sure it's realistic to expect major change in our top 8-9 given the difficulty of moving Lin or Asik. I simply can't see what team would really want either of them without asking for additional major assets or trading one of their basket case contracts, which would make us worse rather than better. Possibly a contender who thinks they're the missing piece? Can't see anyone particular wanting Lin. Asik - maybe the Mavs? But a) do they have space and b) who do they send back?

#23 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,134 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:35 PM

@JG
      I understand your frustration at the McHale criticism - and I also agree that it's not unfixable. Given that McHale *is* coming back, I think we have to be somewhat optimistic otherwise it'll just be a miserable year or so :P Seriously though, I think the best solution would be to hire top notch offensive and defensive coaches and just have McHale be the 'glue guy' in terms of coaching. If the players love him, that's the perfect role - he can be the good cop as long as the other coaches are allowed to be bad cop and actually enforce the systems put in.

@RBF, rocketrick
      I'm not sure it's realistic to expect major change in our top 8-9 given the difficulty of moving Lin or Asik. I simply can't see what team would really want either of them without asking for additional major assets or trading one of their basket case contracts, which would make us worse rather than better. Possibly a contender who thinks they're the missing piece? Can't see anyone particular wanting Lin. Asik - maybe the Mavs? But a) do they have space and B) who do they send back?

Exactly--I think that has been the plan, more or less, all along.  McHale keeps the flock together and the assistants worry about the quality of the wool.  I can understand why some would disagree with that approach, but I like the idea.

On the second point, I read a rumor the Mavs are going to see about getting Tyson Chandler back.  If we're talking Carmelo trade then maybe we just found a dance partner...

#24 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,125 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:14 PM

@rocketrick

we need changes.........minor tweaks with no coaching change means first round exit next year IMO

@Journeymany

I disagree......we can easily rid ourselves of Lin and Asik. we have enough draft picks to grease the wheels of a trade. we don't really need anything back because the open cap space will be our prize.

@JG

I agree. if Dallas pursues Chandler it helps our cause. that would make it likely NY will be receptive to a Lin/ Asik deal for Melo

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#25 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,865 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:23 PM

@rocketrick
        we need changes.........minor tweaks with no coaching change means first round exit next year IMO

@Journeymany
        I disagree......we can easily rid ourselves of Lin and Asik. we have enough draft picks to grease the wheels of a trade. we don't really need anything back because the open cap space will be our prize.

@JG
        I agree. if Dallas pursues Chandler it helps our cause. that would make it likely NY will be receptive to a Lin/ Asik deal for Melo

I just wanted to take a moment to repeat what I stated in the previous post.

(1) The Rockets need to improve their top 8-9 rotation (which obviously includes both Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik)

(2) Strategic Tweaks going forward, not major Roster Moves.

If the Rockets can find a better PG that can hit 3's, play defense, etc. that could be an improvement over Beverley/Lin.

If the Rockets can find a 4 that can play better defense and get the timely rebounds and make an occasional 3 point shot, that could be an improvement over Terrance Jones and Motiejunas.

Otherwise will have to be small increments that could make a difference when the playoffs start again after next season.

#26 rottendoubt

rottendoubt

• Members
        • Pip
        • 9 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:03 PM

harden is a diva and a cancer. he is the worst "leader" possible. he hogs the ball on offense and constantly breaks plays, and he is beyond horrible on defense. either get rid of him or bring in a coach that will get him to play defense and share the ball.

getting a third star won't help unless you fix this issue. trading the other players won't help either. that's just trying to fix the symptoms. you need to deal with the root of the problem (harden).

#27 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
          • 2,309 posts
          • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:10 PM

harden is a diva and a cancer. he is the worst "leader" possible. he hogs the ball on offense and constantly breaks plays, and he is beyond horrible on defense. either get rid of him or bring in a coach that will get him to play defense and share the ball.

getting a third star won't help unless you fix this issue. trading the other players won't help either. that's just trying to fix the symptoms. you need to deal with the root of the problem (harden).

You are completely and utterly wrong. This is the most uninspired drivel I have seen in weeks. You should got to one of those wacky Lin sites, I believe there are people who write similar senselessness in those.

You are in the wrong place and obviously do not belong here and you should never post here again.

How sweet it is!

#28 rottendoubt

rottendoubt

• Members
          • Pip
          • 9 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:56 PM

@feelingsupersonic - i never even mentioned lin. you say i'm wrong, what is your argument back? and what's with all the name-calling?

#29 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
            • 4,134 posts
            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:12 PM

@feelingsupersonic - i never even mentioned lin. you say i'm wrong, what is your argument back? and what's with all the name-calling?

While I disagree with you I will give you credit for having the sense to want Harden traded given your evaluation of him.  99% of the posts about how terrible Harden is somehow don't reach this conclusion.  Why would anyone want to keep a player they view so negatively?

There's no telling what adding a third star would do to the team as a whole.  If that third star comes in, and paired with Dwight, takes Harden aside and lays it down for him plain and simple I think good things will happen.  Personally, I think Harden has taken his lumps--the speed with which he dismissed a recent question about public perception of his defense lets me know that he is VERY aware of what is being said.

This team is ready to move forward from, "Wheeeeeee! Pro basketball is fun and all this money and fame are great!" to, "We came here to kick a$$ and take names...and you've already got your names on your jerseys so let's do this".  I think we are going to get a blue collar, lunch-pail team that happens to have some stars on it.  I'm already excited....When is opening day?

#30 rottendoubt

rottendoubt

• Members
            • Pip
            • 9 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:18 PM

i said either trade harden or bring in a new coach.  the easier fix is to replace mchale, since we'd wouldn't be able to get equal value for harden.

personally, i wish we'd let mchale go and bring in stan van gundy.  he seems like he'd be able to whip harden into shape.

While I disagree with you I will give you credit for having the sense to want Harden traded given your evaluation of him.  99% of the posts about how terrible Harden is somehow don't reach this conclusion.  Why would anyone want to keep a player they view so negatively?

There's no telling what adding a third star would do to the team as a whole.  If that third star comes in, and paired with Dwight, takes Harden aside and lays it down for him plain and simple I think good things will happen.  Personally, I think Harden has taken his lumps--the speed with which he dismissed a recent question about public perception of his defense lets me know that he is VERY aware of what is being said.

This team is ready to move forward from, "Wheeeeeee! Pro basketball is fun and all this money and fame are great!" to, "We came here to kick a$$ and take names...and you've already got your names on your jerseys so let's do this".  I think we are going to get a blue collar, lunch-pail team that happens to have some stars on it.  I'm already excited....When is opening day?

#31 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPip
              • 1,290 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:18 PM

I don't buy into Harden being a ball hog, Other guys get plenty of shots and Harden is the one usually setting up those shots from assists or drawing the defenses attention. Sure his defense could be significantly better but he isn't a "cancer" 

#32 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                • 4,134 posts
                • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:29 PM

i said either trade harden or bring in a new coach.  the easier fix is to replace mchale, since we'd wouldn't be able to get equal value for harden.

personally, i wish we'd let mchale go and bring in stan van gundy.  he seems like he'd be able to whip harden into shape.

I know what you said--I was trying to be positive in the face of a post I whole-heartedly disagree with.  I know that 98% of Rox fans want a new coach right now--none of which are walking through that door.

I disagree that we couldn't get equal value for Harden--and, once again, I'm confused.  If he's so terrible wouldn't trading him for almost anyone be getting the better end of the deal?  The double valuation thing is so weird to me.  Does he suck or not? 

Either way....I imagine no less than 20 teams would be on the phone within 2 minutes of hearing Harden was available.  The guy has value--high value.

#33 Journeymany

Journeymany

Rookie

• Members
                • PipPip
                • 54 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:46 PM

@Journeymany

@JG

@rbf

Dallas going for Asik would actually be an amazing move for them, since they don't need much scoring from whoever playing center, they just need D. But I can't think of any team under the cap that is looking for a point guard. When you could get Lowry, Teague, or Stephenson in the 8-10 million range, who's gonna want to trade cap space for Lin and his balloon payment?

#34 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                  • 4,134 posts
                  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:49 PM

I don't buy into Harden being a ball hog, Other guys get plenty of shots and Harden is the one usually setting up those shots from assists or drawing the defenses attention. Sure his defense could be significantly better but he isn't a "cancer" 

Agreed.  I thought I'd post some stats...mostly to upset those who disagree :P

Here is the "ball hogs" usage rate in comparison to his teammates:

...And here is his Assist % because he is a ball stopper who doesn't trust his teammates:

....and his defense is soooooo terrible that this happened:

I know win shares are not a very useful stat (you can read about how they concoct this one HERE).  Primarily it is based on time spent on court and league averages.  Pretty lame.  Yet, it brings up a good point.  If Harden is so terribly bad on defense wouldn't every single opposing team attack him relentlessly?  I mean, why go at Dwight, or Bev, or anyone if you know that Harden is on the floor?  Could it be because his defense is not nearly as bad as perceived?  Nooooooo, that's just silly--it just means those coaches don't know what they're doing....or maybe they feel bad for James and don't want to pick on him.....yeah, that's it.

#35 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPip
                  • 671 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:08 PM

He usually guards the most inept wing on the opposing team or spot up shooters so he doesn't have guys that can go at him. His lackluster defence is best shown when he is guarding a guy like JJ Reddick or in transition.

He is not that bad of a defender when he tries but he just doesn't bring it often its a rarity.

#36 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                    • 2,309 posts
                    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:27 PM

@rottendoubt

@feelingsupersonic - i never even mentioned lin.-----------I never said you did. I wrote that the ideas and character denigration of Harden you wrote about are common on those message boards. 

you say i'm wrong, what is your argument back?----------You never even made a coherent argument so why would I even debate you?

and what's with all the name-calling?-----------If you read what I wrote I called you not one single name good sir.

How sweet it is!

#37 rottendoubt

rottendoubt

• Members
                    • Pip
                    • 9 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:15 PM

when there's a problem, you have to start at the top.  it's that simple.  go re-read this post and look at the quotes from the blazers players:

"from Wes Mathews: “”They move the ball, they share the ball,” Blazers guard Wesley Matthews said, beginning innocently enough before diving into his checklist. “[The ball] is not going to stick in anybody’s hands. Houston might have been a little easier to defend because you knew where they were going to go. This time, Marco [Belinelli] comes into the game, they run floppy action for him. They run a hammer action for Patty [Mills]. They run angle screens for [Manu] Ginobili, they run angle screens for [Tony] Parker. They’ve got so many weapons.”

And lastly, Robin Lopez: “”With Houston, there wasn’t any…not that much pressure on defense.  And offensively, they focused a lot more on isolation game, whereas San Antonio’s swinging the ball.”"

if there's "not that much pressure on defense", who's fault is that?  and how do you fix it?

if the ball sticks in someone's hands, who is it sticking to?  if we're "focused a lot more on isolation game", who's fault is that? and how do you fix it?

trading away some role players or bench players isn't going to solve the problem in my opinion.  it starts at the top.

also, gotta say that i can't believe how unfriendly this board is.  i started following the rockets back when t-mac was traded over and have been a loyal reader of red94 since the start. 

to feelingsupersonic:

"and what's with all the name-calling?-----------If you read what I wrote I called you not one single name good sir."

what about "uninspired drivel", "wacky" "senselessness"?  that's the same as saying, "your post reads like a retarded buffoon's blowhole".  technically i'm not calling you a name, but it's pretty much the same thing.

anyways, i'm done posting here.  you guys win!!  hooray for pushing away anyone with a different opinion.

#38 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                      • 4,125 posts
                      • Locationhouston

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:35 PM

@Journeymany

true most teams would prefer Lowry, Stevenson or Teague to Lin, but not all of them have the room to sign them. NY is one of those teams without cap room so they may be interested in Lin. Lin isn't unmovable, however it will require effort and draft picks 

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#39 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                      • 2,309 posts
                      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:39 AM

@rottendoubt

Great, glad you have been reading awhile. Good luck wherever you end up. Anyone that seriously thinks Harden is a cancer and a diva is not welcome here (criticize his isolation defense, effect on ball movement or effort on court but calling him names and passing it off as analysis is something Red94 can do without). Sure we all have problems with different players flaws on the current roster but calling players a cancer is just rediculous especially when you provide no explanation. Good bye.
                      How sweet it is!

#40 Itssagurllie

Itssagurllie

• Members
                      • Pip
                      • 2 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:30 AM

Wow. I'm new here and I can't help but see alot of people call JLin trash and not much happens but people either joining that opinion or just saying its ok to have that opinion but we disagree. But when someone calls another player trash they get jumped on. Double standard? Please correct me if I'm wrong, just seems a little biased here. Everyone says they should respect others opinions, but it sure doesn't seem like it here.

Edited by Itssagurllie, 14 May 2014 - 05:34 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users