Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.
@  Mario Peña : (13 September 2015 - 05:24 PM) Sad to see Moses pass. I don't remember watching him as a Rocket but I do remember his Philly and Hawks teams. He was the perfect man to mentor Dream. It's a very sad day for his family and friends and there are many.
@  majik19 : (12 September 2015 - 09:01 PM) i just saw a post wishing Yao Ming a happy 35th birthday... am I the only one whose mind is blown that he's only 35?
@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html

Photo

Huq's Pen: I'm feeling a little Melo

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#21 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:48 AM

@redfaithful

I disagree........we are much more appealing than Chicago. there are still question marks surrounding D-Rose health which I'm sure Melo will want to weigh in light of how the STAT injury hampered NY ever achieving their goals. we have the deeper team surrounding our stars. we have no state income tax so Melo will be able to get more of his money. Melo can play at a pace he was more accustom too when he was in Denver. I could go on, but it's clear we can offer him the better environment. if he's going to leave I would say we are the front runner, but I think NY still has strong appeal for him. depends on what plan Phil is trying to sell him. 

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#22 PhillyCheese

PhillyCheese

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:20 PM

Melo could have gone to NY and Denver can do nothng.  Except Melo got greedy and wanted his max, so NY was gutted.  NY was stupid, they should have waited Melo out,since he wanted out of Denver badly.  Houston has some competition from other teams so may want to lock up Melo by trading for him.  Now whether Melo wants to go t Houston is another matter.  Him and his wife are not exactly Houston type of peeps.

I would say Asik, Lin plus draft picks or someone like Parsons would get the deal done.NY keeps Lin for his fan support, trade Asik for something useful and they will have more wins in 2015 than 2014, and every NYKer will say great trade for the Knicks and point out that Denver also had a better record after trading Carmelo.

Melo will also have to change his game, take less shots, move the ball and play better D.  otherwise Houston will have a bunch of malcontent superstars and implode.  But if they get it right and everyone sacrifices, then a championship is not outside of reason.  Actually I think Howard will have to sacrifice more since he needs to be set up, and Harden has the ball so can disctate more who get the ball. 

#23 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 548 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:32 PM

We would be absolutely terrifying if we were to acquire Melo. DO IT by (almost) any means necessary. To me this would mean no more Asik and Lin and no big Rockets paycheck for Parsons. Those three players would also offer PJ a nice building block for his new team with Asik's elite defense, Parson's flexibility, Lin's scoring ability and especially the cult in NY surrounding him. As much as I hate to see at least 2 of those guys go, the return would be much greater. I have absolutely no worries that Morey would not be able to fill in the spots on the roster, he always has. I don't even think the Harden/Melo/Howard combo would have any chemistry issues either. Melo has never been afforded the luxury of pairing up with elite offensive players yet in his career and I think it would be a refreshing change for him.

The only downside as fans is that we would have to part ways with players we've grown to adore. But, hasn't that always been the case in Morey's tenure? Scola, Landry, Brooks, Lowry, Hayes, Bud, and the list goes on... But he always turns around and brings in more stand-up guys to fill the gaps. In Morey We Trust.

#24 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
      • 1,415 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:01 PM

New post: Huq's Pen: I'm feeling a little Melo
        By: rahat huq

• If you're reading this, you are no doubt aware of the rumors surrounding Carmelo Anthony's purported interest in the Houston Rockets.  Shockingly, I've seen some places where some who are inclined towards this team have expressed hesitation regarding such an acquisition.  I underscore 'shockingly' because such a maneuver should be considered a no-brainer.
        • To begin, as I quipped on Twitter very recently, the mere revelation of said interest, in concert with the reality of Dwight Howard's capitulation this summer, evokes the words of the esteemed philosopher Michael Jones who once famously said, "back then [they] didn't want me, now I'm hot [they] all on me."
        • 'Capitulation' because, as the Chronicle reported last season in a story which surprisingly gained little national steam, the impetus for Howard's infamous 'opt-in' was an agreement in principle between Orlando and the Rockets, at the deadline, to send the center to The Third Coast.  Howard wanted no part of such a move and killed talks with the contractual formality.  Of course this summer, he took $30million less to join us.  Because Houston is now a desirable destination.
        • And as you painfully might recall, the team spent what felt like (at the time) the better part of a decade wooing Anthony by dangling packages frontlined by Kevin Martin in trade talks.  Anthony's heart was set on New York and he forced his way there (forcing through new rules in the latest collective bargaining agreement in the process.)  Now, with the Knicks an absolute embarrassment to professional sports, the talented forward reportedly has wandering eyes.  Because Houston is now a desirable destination.
        • All that's left now are for Chris Bosh and Chris Paul (and whoever else we chased) to head over, Ipad in tow, with a cameo by Pau Gasol and we'll have come full circle.  Morey at this point is like the pimple-faced band geek who stumbles upon Crossfit (or whatever fitness innovation is in vogue at the time of reading) a semester before prom and finally snags the head cheerleader.  In the movies, the geek would then, filled with indignation, shun the cheerleader, rewarding some homely creature who saw worth in him before his newfound repute.  In real life, the geek gladly snags the cheerleader.
        • Which leads us to Morey: those watching last week's Jekyll and Hyde impromptu which saw this team drop three straight after topping three of the league's best teams in the previous three affairs, if viewing objectively, no doubt came away feeling a bit disturbed.  As I explained in the previous edition of this column, I've bought in to the fact that this is a 'very good team' sure, but 'true' contender they are not.  That should be painfully obvious to the impartial observer.

• Something's missing and much of that "something" is born from the reality of Dwight Howard's mortality.  To wit, this is not intended to be taken as a slight on Howard.  He's been great, a true max player, and a force which has transformed this outfit into a 55+ win team.  But those of you who responded to my comments regarding Howard following the Oklahoma City loss saying that it was "just one game" are missing the point.  It wasn't just one game.  It was the latest in a disturbing pattern of disappearances by Howard against our prime competition.  As our own Forrest Walker so perfectly put it at the time, the fact that Howard could not best Steven Adams is absolutely "chilling." If I asked you today, in a Game 7 tomorrow against either the Thunder or Clippers, whether Howard would be more likely to total 30 and 20 or 10 and 5, 99% of you would choose the latter.  Chilling.
        • I'm reminded of an observation I made towards the tail end of the McGrady-Yao era that every season, the team begins the campaign appearing as if to boast an embarrassment of riches, and then every season they end the year looking like "McGrady and a bunch of scrubs."  Now, that's certainly a harsh comparison and this team certainly boasts a wealth of talent.  But at the end of close games, one can't help but feel James Harden is alone on an island.  Beverley and Parsons, for different reasons, are incapable of creating for themselves in tight situations.  Against the better teams, Terrence Jones becomes so inept that he can't even get on the court while Jeremy Lin might as well be wearing diapers.  And Howard, for all of his prowess, becomes neutered due to his turnover woes and free throw shooting inabilities.  The issue of "hero-ball" is a different one, but Harden is on an island.  The team needs something else.
        • And again, that last point is not meant as an indictment.  The team has been marvelous, right on schedule, maybe even exceeding any realistic expectations for this year.  But if we're being honest with ourselves, it's clear that they don't have enough to top the Thunder.  'Melo has his warts, yes, but opportunism is a tricky game.  You may prefer Kevin Love but at the cost of a) not getting him and b) losing yet another year of Howard/Harden?  Morey takes the bird in hand at that point.
        • I shouldn't need to speak of the merits of adding Anthony to this lineup.  It would transform this offense into unguardability, especially when coupled with the powers of the two existing superstars.  Look at Anthony's numbers off catch-and-shoots or his efficiency as a supporting star.  With Anthony at the '4', good luck to anyone guarding that cast.  Some might argue that he'd have to guard the man-sized 4's in the West; I'd retort that they'd have to guard him.  
        • And I also don't see Anthony as a downgrade from Terrence Jones defensively.
        • There are several necessary ingredients to a successful sign&trade: the player must want to come to the team, the current team must prefer the new team's assets to losing the player for nothing, and lastly, there must exist some viable threat of the player signing on some other team outright for the current team's acquiescence.  All of those ingredients would seem to exist but the problem here is that that "viable threat" (Chicago) in this case is so viable that it may actually be preferred, in Anthony's mind.
        • Chicago is the bigger market.  But if he's smart, Houston is the choice.  There are no "ifs" in Houston.  Joining Howard and Harden, the Rockets become the best lineup in the league.  With the Bulls, there is the looming uncertainty of Derrick Rose's future.  The problem is that I'm not sure winning is Anthony's sole objective.
        • What makes this situation so marvelously unique is that New York is literally the one team in the entire league that might realistically not balk at the prospect of taking back Jeremy Lin.  Anyone else would just want the cap space for a clean rebuild.  But the Knicks?  You could very realistically see them pocketing Terrence Jones, trading Omer Asik for a draft pick, and selling Linsanity to their fans in what would be a rebuilding year.  They'd then have him off the books the next year and could figure things out.  That doesn't apply anywhere else.  And that's what makes this whole thing so delicious.  This is very, very real, folks.  And what we learned last summer, from the Dwightmare, is that anything can happen.  If you're a fan of this team, you should want this to happen.

#25 Dayak

Dayak

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 116 posts
        • LocationBorneo Island

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:48 PM

Excellent read Rahat. Melo for Asik+Lin+Parsons or Jones is a no brainer at this point. I believe we'll see the Olympic's Melo when he plays for the Rockets.

#26 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
        • 1,415 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:06 PM

New post: The Complicated Path to Carmelo Anthony
          By: michael pina

Buried in Adrian Wojnarowski’s plea for New York Knicks owner James Dolan to go away and never come back was official word from the NBA’s most diligent reporter that the Houston Rockets and Carmelo Anthony share a mutual interest.

Several rumors have popped up over the past few weeks, and it’s only logical to assume a fidgety general manager like Daryl Morey would see an available superstar and do everything in his power to adopt him, but in my opinion Wojnarowski’s report finally allows worthwhile speculation to begin.

A lot can happen over the next few months, but a roadmap attempting today to figure out how Houston can sign Anthony this summer won't hurt anybody, will it? So many freaking things needs to go one way in order for this to actually happen, but these are the three easiest to write about.

1) New York misses the playoffs

The Knicks are 28-40. If the season ended today they’d be a No.9 seed without a lottery pick—the very worst position for an NBA team to be in. The pesky Atlanta Hawks are up four games with 14 to go, and John Hollinger’s playoff predictions place the odds at a seismic 6% that New York passes them.

Despite Phil Jackson’s influence (a factor that shouldn’t be dismissed) and aside from $$$, why would Anthony stay in New York? The Knicks could either be as bad or worse next season, and they definitely won’t win the title until Amar’e Stoudemire, Andrea Bargnani, and Tyson Chandler come off the books, which probably won’t happen until next summer (Bargnani and Stoudemire have player options next year, but it's doubtful they douse gasoline on their combined $30+ million and opt out…unless Jackson brainwashes them into thinking it’s a good idea, which is entirely possible).

In essence, Anthony signing a five-year max with New York would be the equivalent of strapping plastic explosive to his prime then pounding it with a sledge hammer. He turns 30 on May 29, and would probably miss the playoffs for a second straight season while playing inside a bubble for an emotionally starved fan base. The city would be miserable. He would be more miserable.

How could making the playoffs this year matter? Well, given the incredibly low odds of it actually happening, qualifying would be miraculous and an inspiration. That’s why. It’d supply irrational hope for the future and substantiate the organization’s positive momentum. If the Knicks make the playoffs, they could argue this entire regular season was a comedy of awful, impossible-to-repeat-themselves-ever-again blunders.

“Chandler, Bargnani, and Stoudemire will be healthy next year!”

“We’ll get even more production from the still-developing Iman Shumpert and Tim Hardaway Jr.!”

“Think Felton’s washed up? So do we! Let’s trade for a brand new point guard!”

“Sayonara, J.R. Smith!”

“Sayonara, Mike Woodson!”

“Hello, Steve Kerr!”

“Nice to meet you, triangle offense!”

It’s obviously wishful thinking, but nobody knows the future. And when you can throw an extra $30+ million at Anthony, a dot of brightness is all you really need. The Knicks are a capsizing ship that just spent 18 months repeatedly ramming itself into the same iceberg. An incredible playoff push will persuade everyone to look towards the heavens and think happy thoughts about the future...right as the boat cracks in half behind them.

If New York misses the playoffs none of that spin can be spun. Vultures (Houston, Chicago, Boston, Charlotte, the Lakers) will circle a little lower. It’s exactly what happened to L.A. and Dwight Howard. Nobody wants to go through a painful losing season in the prime of their career, especially if it can be avoided. Smart people will tell Anthony he’ll have to experience this all over again for at least one more year if he sticks around, and that pill might be too tough to swallow.

2) The Rockets need to win a playoff series

As an alluring player destination that's relatively fresh, it’d be a terrible look for Houston to get bounced in the first round. Kevin McHale would be fired—giving rise to the possibility that a less fun system is implemented by a new coach—and most of the team’s pleasant chemistry vibes would shake at the core.

If Houston loses early, and winning a title is truly Anthony’s number one objective (over pride, ego, money, statistics, and his wife’s indefatigable television career), to sway free agency's breeze towards 4 Pennsylvania Plaza, Jackson would calmly relay the obvious: Good luck getting out of the west, Melo!

Oklahoma City, San Antonio (not going anywhere for at least 20 more years), Golden State, the Los Angeles Clippers, Memphis, Phoenix, Portland, and Dallas are all very good now, and could be much better in the short-term future. (Also, Kevin Love and Anthony Davis are in the conference, and we haven’t even said the word “Lakers” yet.)

Anthony could easily make the Rockets a perennial powerhouse that looks up to zero of those teams, but it’d be a little risky unless he’s willing to take even less money than the four-year max. Those three max deals are a huge cost, and the margins to add complimentary pieces would be difficult though not impossible. Hanging over all this is the Chicago Bulls, who present an intriguing destination in their own right.

3) Houston needs to gut its roster

Yay, financial talk! Pending player options, team options, non-guaranteed contracts, and draft picks, Houston has between $60.9 and $63.2 million on their books next season, when the expected cap number will rise to approximately $61.2 million. Thus, they can’t sign Anthony to a four-year, $95.89 million maximum contract. Can they get low enough?

First, Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik have to go. That’s $16.7 million off the top right there. Then, Greg Smith needs to be renounced, Francisco Garcia would be kidnapped, Omri Casspi gets cut, and Chandler Parsons, Isaiah Canaan, Robert Covington, and Patrick Beverley would all be bought out or have their options declined.

This…still wouldn’t give Houston the necessary $22.8 million worth of necessary space. (They’d be roughly $4.5 million over.) So, unless Anthony is willing to take even less money (LeBron did it!), an outright signing is unlikely.

The more probable option is a sign-and-trade done with New York ONLY AFTER Anthony makes it clear he wants to play in Houston. Notice how complicated all this is? The Rockets could package Lin and Asik along with their 2014 first-round pick then call it a day. Or work in some other pieces like Terrence Jones and Donatas Motiejunas, if that's what it takes.

Is all this worth the trouble? In short: yes. As the Knicks bumble along as a laughing stock, Anthony is quietly having a brilliant season, posting career-highs in PER and True Shooting percentage. He also leads the league in minutes per game and usage rate while averaging 28 points, 8.3 rebounds, and 3.1 assists. Three-pointers are splashing through the net, his mid-range game is diabolical, and behind Kevin Durant, arguably no better scorer lives on Planet Earth. Acquiring him at any cost short of Howard and Harden is an absolute no-brainer.

But so much about this process is complicated and/or out of Houston’s control, and unless you're Morey, none of it's worth losing any sleep over. Instead: sit back, relax, and wait for Carmelo's future to unfold.

Michael Pina covers the NBA  for ESPN’s TrueHoop Network, Sports On Earth, FOX Sports, Bleacher Report, and The Classical. Find more of his writing here, and follow him @MichaelVPina.

#27 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 4,125 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:10 PM

Nice thoughts, Rahat.

There's not much to add.  One thing I will throw out for discussion is should we actually try to push Parsons out in lieu of Terrence Jones?

I'll give you all a moment to recover from my blasphemous statement.............. :P

Seriously though.  I have been a huge fan and proponent of Chandler since he got here.  Yet, lately I can't help but feel that he is nearing his ceiling and the time to sell high is here.  While he has performed admirably and improved his game in many facets he still has some flaws that may ultimately relegate him to average once it's all said and done.  Yes, I am nit-picking here, but stick with me.

His shot is flat.  That's not a deal breaker, but it leads to more hot and cold shooting since the margin of error is that much smaller for his style of shot.  Also, he is not a great finisher inside despite his size. 

His first step is slow.  This is part of why he has to use the pump fake.  That pump fake gets used more than the urinals at the Toyota Center (I still try to call it The Summit).  Guys are wise to it and while they can't stop his drive they can re-direct him away from the basket which is usually enough to snuff out the play unless he can get a lob to Dwight.  Maybe it's just his back slowing him down, but that problem is most likely not going away.

His defense looks like it has decided to leave and isn't coming back.  It's almost as if the glitz and glam of offense (and Chandler's new lifestyle) won't accept the lunch-pail-nitty-gritty aspect of defense (and its subsequent image).  It doesn't matter--his defense is a non-factor most of the time.

So, once he gets paid--and he will--are we still going to accept the production we're getting?  Whether it is $9M or $12M, that is a lot of cap space for a streaky shooter, who may wind up relegated to spot-up shooter, that plays little defense and has back problems.

Why am I tarring and feathering Parsons?  To suggest that the correct move is to sell high on him and keep Mr. Terrence Jones.

If this happens I believe we will be looking at a win-win.  The first win is avoiding the overpay and subsequent let-down that Parsons presents.  (I honestly feel bad typing that sentence--I want to believe, but....but....I feel like his limited athleticism/bad back are about to be his demise)

The second win is having a forward rotation of Melo, Jones, Jordan Hamilton, and occasionally D-Mo.  Those first three are ideal players for our system and can rotate in and out of SF/PF rotations with relative ease.  For small ball, it's Hamilton at 3 and Melo at 4....To go big we put Melo at the 3 and Jones at the 4.  Switches will be pretty easy as each player has the ability to defend either position (mostly--there are always bad match-ups).

Let's keep hammering this point home.  Jones has the higher ceiling over Parsons.  In fairness, his floor is currently lower as well.  In time, his defense should be B+ or better.  He is younger and has shown little sign of being brittle/injury prone.

My preference would be a starting 5 of Bev, Harden, Melo, Jones, and Howard.  Melo is the mis-match creator.  If you guard him with speed he will post you up to death (according to synergy he is the 23rd most efficient post scorer in the league).  If you counter that with size he steps outside and wreaks havoc from there.  Oh, and there's still a couple of other guys who will be giving defenses nightmares around him.

I won't belabor the benefits of Melo...as fun as it is :D ...in my mind we are better off as a team--in the present, in the future, both talent-wise and financially by keeping Jones and trading Parsons.

In the West, Power Forwards rule the landscape (along with PG's).  While loading up at that position to fight against them is what logic dictates I would prefer a different approach.  By putting Melo at the 3 we essentially are giving ourselves the best SG, 2nd best SF (Durant), and best C in the Western conference.  That means the majority of the time we have a significant offensive advantage at 3 out of 5 positions with strong defenders (assuming Jones continues improving) at 4 positions on the other end.  That should translate to lots of wins :).

What do you guys think?  Parsons versus Jones--if this trade happens we will lose one for sure.  I'd hate to lose both, but would live with it if we had to. 

#28 Charles B

Charles B

• Members
          • Pip
          • 17 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:44 PM

Regardless who we are going to trade, it will be a bad trade. Melo in Houston? How is McHale going to coach 3 ISO players? I get the part that Morey want to surround Howard with shooters, but how is that going to work when the ball will consistently stop moving with Harden, Howard, and Melo on the court? The time clock only has 24 seconds, not 60!!! 

Meanwhile, people need to stop dreaming. An allstar lineup do not guarantee success. Remember 2012-2013 LA Laker? 1 for 3 don't sound like a good deal to me. Houston need a more balance team. Lets wait until the season is over before we speculate further. At least wait and see how the currently team perform during playoff before we discuss whom to trade. If people really want to dream, why not dream big? How about getting LBJ instead of Melo?

#29 dbd

dbd

Rookie

• Members
            • PipPip
            • 85 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:53 PM

No brainer for us but will they do it? I thought they got the upper hand.

#30 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPip
              • 1,290 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:37 PM

Regardless who we are going to trade, it will be a bad trade. Melo in Houston? How is McHale going to coach 3 ISO players? I get the part that Morey want to surround Howard with shooters, but how is that going to work when the ball will consistently stop moving with Harden, Howard, and Melo on the court? The time clock only has 24 seconds, not 60!!! 

Meanwhile, people need to stop dreaming. An allstar lineup do not guarantee success. Remember 2012-2013 LA Laker? 1 for 3 don't sound like a good deal to me. Houston need a more balance team. Lets wait until the season is over before we speculate further. At least wait and see how the currently team perform during playoff before we discuss whom to trade. If people really want to dream, why not dream big? How about getting LBJ instead of Melo?

turning change into a dollar is always a good deal as long as you don't lose the dollar. A problem with the lakers is there stars were washed up and or injured. And theres more cases where teams with three all stars have worked than failing. Difference between lebron and melo is lebron will likely be on a three time championship team with a great front office and owner while the knicks are a heap of burning trash with no roster flexibility at all until after next season with an owner that never seems to do anything right.

#31 Charles B

Charles B

• Members
                • Pip
                • 17 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:59 PM

turning change into a dollar is always a good deal as long as you don't lose the dollar. A problem with the lakers is there stars were washed up and or injured. And theres more cases where teams with three all stars have worked than failing. Difference between lebron and melo is lebron will likely be on a three time championship team with a great front office and owner while the knicks are a heap of burning trash with no roster flexibility at all until after next season with an owner that never seems to do anything right.

Just for argument sake,

LBJ>Melo

Harden>Wade

Howard>Bosh

Houston Bench>Miami Bench

I don't see why Morey want to go after Melo instead of LBJ. And I don't see why LBJ want to refuse coming to Houston if he want to win more ring and a chance to surpass MJ. This is why I am confuse why people get so hype up by the idea Melo coming to Houston when LBJ is the obvious better choice when the chance of both trade being the same? 

#32 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 373 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:05 PM

There are a number of issues with Melo. I'm going to go through some of them.

Would there be enough shots to go around? At their current pace the Rockets generate ~1.56 shot per minute. Melo historically has consumed ~0.58 shots per minute. Harden, a much more efficient scorer than Melo, uses 0.43 shots per minute. I assume you see where this is headed.

Can Melo adjust to not being "the man"? I know that people will retort that Bosh adjusted. That is certainly fair. But is everyone comfortable that Melo can fit in with Howard and Harden? Both on the court and in the locker room. I personally am not.

Melo will be 30 soon. He is not getting any better, and the likelihood of him getting worse over the next 4 years is significant. The thought of spending max contract money in 3 years for Melo is a little frightening to me.

Would Melo actually make the Rockets a better team if it costs something like Asik/Lin/Jones or Parsons/2014 1st round pick? Many people think that it is a no brainer. But the Rockets are currently the third youngest team in the league. Next season D-Mo, Jones, Parsons and Harden will almost certainly be better. Asik hopefully can play the entire season. It hurt badly having him out for two months. And Morey will have the MLE. I guess it comes down to whether you prefer a team with three stars or a team with two stars and excellent depth. Right now it looks to me like any one of the Rockets starters could go down to injury and the team would probably still make it to the second round. Maybe I am just paranoid.

Can the Rockets even offer the Knicks enough in a sign and trade? I look at that Phoenix team and they could package up Frye and three 2014 first round picks for Melo. Bledsoe, Melo and Dragic would be both competitive in the West and perhaps the most entertaining NBA club to watch.

Melo can opt out this summer. But so could someone named Chris Bosh. Just saying.

Don't get me wrong. All of your arguments for Melo are good. I just thought I would inject an alternative opinion.

#33 PKM

PKM

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 124 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:07 PM

Just for argument sake,

LBJ>Melo

Harden>Wade

Howard>Bosh

Houston Bench>Miami Bench

I don't see why Morey want to go after Melo instead of LBJ. And I don't see why LBJ want to refuse coming to Houston if he want to win more ring and a chance to surpass MJ. This is why I am confuse why people get so hype up by the idea Melo coming to Houston when LBJ is the obvious better choice when the chance of both trade being the same? 

Because Lebron has sort of a good thing going for him in Miami, and has no reason to leave.  Melo, uh, doesn't.  Not even with Phil.  And the 2012-13 Lakers are another poor example, as that team was for better or for worse had a lot of problems with injury.  We would hopefully not. 

That said, I remain extremely, extremely skeptical that Melo leaving New York is going to happen, especially since as Simmons observed, Phil arriving provides Melo with a perfect excuse to grab the money without it looking like that he just wants the money.  Combine that with the difficulties of trading Lin and Asik in the final years of their deal ( Asik has been fine as backup to Howard, but he hasn't been as good as he was last year), and while I definitely would like Melo in Houston, I don't see it happening.

Edited by PKM, 20 March 2014 - 04:10 PM.

#34 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                      • 4,125 posts
                      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:08 PM

Harden is an underrated passer--both in quality and in willingness.  He ranks 33rd in assist opportunities created according to NBA.com.  The only players ahead of him who are not PG's are Gordon Hayward, Kobe, and Lebron.  That's it.  Thus, I find the notion that he is a ball-stopping black hole on offense to be untrue.  Yes, some of those are bail out passes at the end of a shot clock, but I think he is getting better about that bad habit.

On a per48 min basis, Harden is a mere .1 points behind the oh-so-generous Jeremy Lin in points created off assist at 16.4 ppg.

Howard is a willing passer, but I do not think that is his prime directive.  When they throw the ball into the post it is with the mindset of Howard attacking and scoring.  With Hakeem, opposing teams consistently sent 2, and often 3 guys, to try and shut down Hakeem (or pay the consequences) which led to wide open shots for everyone else.  Howard does not receive the same treatment.

It has been noted that Melo is a ball-stopper.  I can't argue that.  It has been noted that he doesn't have the same kind of supporting cast that he would here.  He can pass and will pass.  Much like Howard, I believe his directive is to score.  Believe me, if he draws a double team and Harden is open on the wing, or Howard underneath, he will get them the ball.  Let's go to the video...

What you will notice in these clips is how the defense has all eyes on Melo when he has the ball.  This leaves cutters free to get to open spaces for easy looks.  Imagine our guys on the receiving end of these passes--instead of Chandler, Brewer, and Felton, Melo will have Howard, Harden, and whoever is left on the roster :lol: to dish to.  I don't have to explain how that is better...

#35 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPip
                      • 548 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:27 PM

Nice thoughts, Rahat.

There's not much to add.  One thing I will throw out for discussion is should we actually try to push Parsons out in lieu of Terrence Jones?....

....What do you guys think?  Parsons versus Jones--if this trade happens we will lose one for sure.  I'd hate to lose both, but would live with it if we had to. 

Totally on board with this as much as I hate to say it and as much as my 13 year old daughter won't speak to me for a month for saying it. But, these were my exact thoughts when the Melo conundrum was posed.

Parsons is due a huge payday, and there are teams in the league willing to give it to him. I don't think his value is going to equal his contract amount, for the reasons you stated. He also has a pretty good agent that is sure to get him plenty..

If Melo happens, I would expect a change in attitude and sportsmanship similar to what we saw in Dwight upon his arrival. He would have to work hard to bring any negative vibes into our locker room. Like with Dwight, people are only seeing what an unhappy Melo is doing right now and easily forgetting just what he is capable of in the right environment, with competent teammates and staff.

An absolute no-brainer.

#36 Dayak

Dayak

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 116 posts
                        • LocationBorneo Island

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:07 PM

What do you guys think? Parsons versus Jones--if this trade happens we will lose one for sure. I'd hate to lose both, but would live with it if we had to.

I like Parsons but i'll choose Jones to stay. I prefer to see a 3 and D SF to play alongside Melo if the Rockets use Melo as their stretch 4 and Jones could be a very nice backup for Melo at PF position.

Edited by Dayak, 20 March 2014 - 05:08 PM.

#37 BrentYen

BrentYen

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 339 posts
                        • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:18 PM

I feel DMO is a better backup than TJ. But that is debatable of course.

Is a big Jeremy Lin fan and was a big ROX fan. More importantly, a huge bball fan in general.

#38 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPip
                        • 548 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:22 PM

I feel DMO is a better backup than TJ. But that is debatable of course.

With Asik probably going in any trade for Melo, I could see DMO backing up Dwight at Center and in small-ball times. Between Melo, Jones, Dwight, DMO and Hamilton, there should be plenty of minutes to go around between positions 3-5.

#39 BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden

• Members
                          • Pip
                          • 22 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:26 PM

If Melo leaves his situation in NY to win I think his game would change to win. He'd be a more willing passer with elite teammates and so would Harden, passing to Melo as he moves off the ball and gets more efficient looks. Think of him posting up a guy and when the double comes flipping it to Dwight, think of a 2-4 pick and roll between Harden and Melo. It depends on what this team does in the playoffs, but I do see some of our players as inconsistent. Lin is great sometimes and could be that 2nd ball handler who can attack defenses and score but often times isn't, but also isn't on the court at the end of games with Bev. Parsons has been inconsistent also. Between Harden and Melo one of them should be able to get going with the threat of the other and Dwight there.

JG, you see Parsons becoming an overpaid spot up shooter so should we trade him and get someone cheaper and better suited for the job like Korver? Or an MLE for Ariza?

Edited by BallSoHarden, 20 March 2014 - 05:30 PM.

#40 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                            • 4,125 posts
                            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:25 PM

If Melo leaves his situation in NY to win I think his game would change to win. He'd be a more willing passer with elite teammates and so would Harden, passing to Melo as he moves off the ball and gets more efficient looks. Think of him posting up a guy and when the double comes flipping it to Dwight, think of a 2-4 pick and roll between Harden and Melo. It depends on what this team does in the playoffs, but I do see some of our players as inconsistent. Lin is great sometimes and could be that 2nd ball handler who can attack defenses and score but often times isn't, but also isn't on the court at the end of games with Bev. Parsons has been inconsistent also. Between Harden and Melo one of them should be able to get going with the threat of the other and Dwight there.

JG, you see Parsons becoming an overpaid spot up shooter so should we trade him and get someone cheaper and better suited for the job like Korver? Or an MLE for Ariza?

As I said before, include him in the sign + trade for Melo.  Lin, Asik, and Parsons plus a pick/prospect or whatever NY wants to sweeten the deal.

To clarify, I'm not saying it is certain that Parsons winds up as an overpaid spot up shooter, but it is very, very possible.  Think of it this way: as he develops (and ages) is it more likely he turns into Kyle Korver (without the accuracy) or that he turns into a top 10 (since it's too crowded in the top 5 for him) SF in the league that already has Lebron, KD, Paul George, Batum, Melo, Kawhi Leonard, Ariza, Butler, Deng, Hayward, and up and comers like Antetekoumpo, Middleton, and Ross (plus whoever else I'm forgetting and let's not forget Andrew Wiggins).

In my eyes, he winds up being a poor man's Korver--which isn't bad--but at that price it will be.  I just think his already average athleticism will become a huge detriment if this back thing lingers--and they tend to do that.  I love Parsons' game and want the best for him, but in this scenario it's a big upgrade going from Parsons to Carmelo Anthony.  (By the way, I'm less concerned about Carmelo's age because he hasn't shown signs of wear and tear, plus his game is suited to aging gracefully since he is a good spot-up shooter and post-up player.)

As far as replacements at the 3, Jordan Hamilton is already here.  He will do fine.  Again--I am picturing Melo putting in more time at the 3 than the 4.  I know some people don't like that, but it allows us to put the best 5 players on the floor with flexibility to adjust for match-ups big or small.  He will still play some stretch 4, but having him at the 3 gives us a more potent line-up on both offense and defense in my mind.

Korver would be great....if he wasn't under contract through 2017.  Trevor Ariza is having a very good year and will get paid more than we can offer--unless he wants to give us an MLE discount--he made $7.7M this year and is arguably underpaid.  He is averaging 15 pts, 6 rebs, 3 asts, 2 steals on 42% three point shooting and 50% from inside the arc plus he plays solid man to man defense.  He is getting more than the MLE.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users