Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.
@  Mario Peña : (13 September 2015 - 05:24 PM) Sad to see Moses pass. I don't remember watching him as a Rocket but I do remember his Philly and Hawks teams. He was the perfect man to mentor Dream. It's a very sad day for his family and friends and there are many.
@  majik19 : (12 September 2015 - 09:01 PM) i just saw a post wishing Yao Ming a happy 35th birthday... am I the only one whose mind is blown that he's only 35?
@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html

Photo

Huq's Pen: I'm feeling a little Melo

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#141 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:06 PM

I think we really need better 3PT% guys.  Assuming no big deal is done, I wouldn't mind trying for Jordan Farmar or Mike MIller.  Make the defenses stop dropping help into D12.  With the bulk rate 3's we take, have a couple larger percentage guys would be phenomenal.

Others I like:

Anthony Morrow

Patty Mills

Avery Bradley

Jimmer Fredette

Just to name a few.  Avery and Farmar are above avg defenders, as well.

A decent backup to the PF would be nice as well - some games TJ just wasn't in it.

#142 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:14 PM

I like Jimmer but he couldn't play with Harden.

Why so Serious? :D

#143 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:07 PM

all we have to do to get Melo is sic Parsons on him :lol:

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#144 08huangj

08huangj

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:53 AM

@FSS

I don't know if I can take another year of Lin :lol: one man can only stand so much. I agree Miller would have been a better acquisition. his basketball IQ makes up for a lot of his physical limitations. Devin Harris is interesting. looking back now we should have kept Livingston.

@Buckko

it's going to take a lot more than Lin to get Melo. Lin's cap figure is only 8.3 mil......Melo's is 23 mil. the Rockets only have about 5 mil difference they can play with in a trade. they must match within that 5 mil in salary. even if Melo signs for let's say 21 mil, the Rockets would have to send NY 16 mil in contracts to make the trade work because of the fact NY has no cap room. so at a very minimum Lin/Asik will be required. I could see a three team trade where NY, Boston and Houston make a deal that looks something like this

Houston sends Lin + Asik + D-Mo or Parsons + 2014 1st + 2016 1st to NY

NY sends Melo to Houston and Tyson Chandler to Boston

Boston sign and trade Bradley to NY + send future 1st the NY

remember it takes two to tango. if the other teams involved have no benefit what would motivate them to do a trade? you don't get something for nothing. if we get Melo you can bet it will cost. NY may not be in position to demand a king's ransom, however a prince or duke's ransom is not out of the question

Well, if Boston is willing to give up Bradley, I would get him instead.

#145 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,122 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:36 AM

@08huangj

Bradley over Melo? or just Bradley in some other deal? because if you mean Bradley over Melo I couldn't disagree more

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#146 Willk

Willk

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 309 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:43 AM

I think we really need better 3PT% guys. Assuming no big deal is done, I wouldn't mind trying for Jordan Farmar or Mike MIller. Make the defenses stop dropping help into D12. With the bulk rate 3's we take, have a couple larger percentage guys would be phenomenal.

Others I like:

Anthony Morrow
      Patty Mills
      Avery Bradley
      Jimmer Fredette

Just to name a few. Avery and Farmar are above avg defenders, as well.

A decent backup to the PF would be nice as well - some games TJ just wasn't in it.

I really like that you brought up Patty Mills. He is an above average defender and a great 3 point shooter.

#147 Willk

Willk

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 309 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:47 AM

I just went and perused the free agent list....lots to like in the mid-range salary level. Also quite a few impact players available like Eric Bledsoe, Lance Stephenson, Ariza, (I'm not counting Lowry--sorry), Pau Gasol (unlikely), Darren Collison (if he opts out...he's played really well this season), Luol Deng, and Mike Scott (Who????? He's buried on Atlanta's bench behind Millsap, but the guy is a tough stretch 4 who can score inside and out. I like him)..there are plenty of others....a team like Houston is set up to capitalize in this free agency period. If we empty the cupboard trading for Melo there's lots of cheap options available to fill in the gaps. If not, there are excellent mid-level options to solidify what we've already got. :)

I also like Darren collison. Averaged 24 mins per game 11.5 points. Above average 3 point shooter. Played backup PG/SG. Also started at PG when CP3 was injured and at SG when Redick was injured. Above average defender and does not turn the ball over. Top 5 in PPS.

#148 08huangj

08huangj

Rookie

• Members
        • PipPip
        • 77 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:05 AM

@08huangj

Bradley over Melo? or just Bradley in some other deal? because if you mean Bradley over Melo I couldn't disagree more

I didn't say I would take Bradley over Melo. But if you're going to give up Lin, Asik, Parsons or D-Mo, and 2 first round picks for Melo, it's just too much. I would say trade for Bradley with another trade.

#149 08huangj

08huangj

Rookie

• Members
          • PipPip
          • 77 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:06 AM

I would do your hypothetical trade if you minus those 2 first round picks. They're just way too valuable.

#150 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 4,122 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:17 AM

08huangj

those two first round picks have little value. the Rockets finished tied for the sixth best record in the league this year which at best puts this years pick at 24. based on the fact that the Rockets are bent on improving their record next year and again in 2016 their draft picks will be useless when compared with the benefit of having Melo

Edited by rockets best fan, 07 May 2014 - 06:18 AM.

#151 08huangj

08huangj

Rookie

• Members
            • PipPip
            • 77 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:06 AM

08huangj

those two first round picks have little value. the Rockets finished tied for the sixth best record in the league this year which at best puts this years pick at 24. based on the fact that the Rockets are bent on improving their record next year and again in 2016 their draft picks will be useless when compared with the benefit of having Melo

Melo is a great scorer, yes. He's good at getting the rebound, yes. But,you also have to remember there are also consequences in getting Melo. Melo's defense sucked in New York, maybe not in Houston. We simply can't have 2 players in the starting team who don't play defense.  We also have 3 elite players who want to go hero ball and play isolation. Does he even fit in the Rockets offensive/ defense system? I don't know: I don't think so. I'm not saying that Melo will bring more negatives than positives, but he does have some problems.

#152 08huangj

08huangj

Rookie

• Members
              • PipPip
              • 77 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:11 AM

And, in my opinion, any first round pick is valuable. Role players(Lin) are valuable. Bench players(D-Mo) are valuable. Asik is really valuable. Your hypothotical trade is just not worth it for the Rockets. Melo isn't worth that much. And remember that Melo is not perfect: He has consequences. And if ya wanna trade for Melo, you gotta fill in the other spots, too. I'm not really high on Isaiah Canaan or Jordan Hamilton. And I don't think D-Mo should play center. He should be playing the 4.

#153 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPip
                • 1,636 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:19 AM

I'm looking forward to the rockets grabbing the super athletic defensive swing man KJ Mcdaniels this draft.

Edited by Buckko, 08 May 2014 - 02:19 AM.

#154 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 4,122 posts
                  • Locationhouston

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:38 AM

@08huangj

I disagree. late first round draft simply don't have the appeal they use to. the draft is a crap shoot to begin with. the chances of a team getting an impact player that late are slim at best. high second round picks are valued more because of the flexibility in contracts teams can offer over late first rounder's.

I don't believe the Rockets are to worried about their first round pick in the context of bringing in more young talent. right now our first round picks are trade bait. whether we chase Melo, Rondo, Lowrey, Lebron, Bosh or even Wade we will more than likely have to do so via trade. at this point we must see our next few picks as trade grease to turn the wheels of a trade

#155 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 4,122 posts
                  • Locationhouston

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:50 AM

@08huangj

another reason we likely will move our picks is we will more than likely have to send at least one first rounder to get rid of Lin. Asik has value. I don't see any problem moving him. we didn't move him earlier this year because our asking price was to high, however we still could have  moved him if we desired. Lin on the other hand is a whole different ballgame. considering his contract and his play........it's going to take draft considerations

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users