Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  slick shoes : (07 July 2017 - 06:57 PM) We've got some cuts to make today before all of these "trade-able contracts" become guaranteed.
@  thejohnnygold : (05 July 2017 - 05:41 PM) Well, this is just glorious. It's a look at the Eastern Conference vs. the Western Conference :)
@  08huangj : (01 July 2017 - 03:56 AM) YEA! We resigned Nene for less than 4 million a year.
@  DenverRocket : (01 July 2017 - 03:44 AM) Wow, the West is getting crazy good. PG13 to OKC now!
@  slick shoes : (29 June 2017 - 07:55 PM) We just gained another trade piece from Dallas.
@  thejohnnygold : (28 June 2017 - 10:52 PM) Yup. Better not get attached to anyone not named Harden...
@  rocketrick : (28 June 2017 - 09:16 PM) Summer League will be more important than ever for the Rockets now that they have to replace like half their roster!
@  rocketrick : (28 June 2017 - 04:23 PM) Let's Welcome Chris Paul to H-town!!
@  slick shoes : (21 June 2017 - 04:28 PM) Morey is locked in for four more years. Glad to have some stability at the helm after everything we've seen the last couple of weeks.
@  slick shoes : (16 June 2017 - 04:31 PM) It's a shame we don't have a first rounder this year. I did notice that the W's and the Cavs have 0 picks this year (not that they need them).
@  thejohnnygold : (16 June 2017 - 03:57 PM) Whoever picks him is going to be a happy camper
@  slick shoes : (16 June 2017 - 02:00 PM) De'Aaron Fox giving Bev a shout at the end of this piece
http://www.espn.com/...var-ball-chorus
@  slick shoes : (22 May 2017 - 05:25 PM) I can't decide if I want them to draft Ball or not.
@  thejohnnygold : (21 May 2017 - 02:50 PM) Don't worry...they'll find a way to screw it up.
@  slick shoes : (17 May 2017 - 03:52 PM) Is anyone else annoyed that the league reached out and helped the Lakers secure a top 3 pick to keep them from long term ruin?
@  Mario Peña : (13 May 2017 - 11:56 AM) It would appear James will take games off next year which is probably a good thing. Perhaps we will see some evolution from emphasis on regular season to being playoff ready both from a physical as well as a strategy standpoint.
@  rocketrick : (12 May 2017 - 05:26 AM) I personally will be rooting for the Spurs in their next matchup with Golden State in the Western Conference Finals
@  rocketrick : (12 May 2017 - 05:26 AM) Congratulations to the Spurs and Coach Pop. They completely destroyed the Rockets last night (understatement of the year)
@  DenverRocket : (12 May 2017 - 02:55 AM) Very disappointing end to an otherwise great season.
@  DenverRocket : (12 May 2017 - 01:10 AM) Stunningly bad. Out played, out coached and no one is stepping up :-(

Photo

The Stats Say: Jeremy Lin has been playing like he might be worth a $15 million salary

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#41 RudyT1995

RudyT1995

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:15 PM

If you are going to do that then you could but the 5 million he is making this year thus making him one of the best contracts for a PG not in a rookie contract. Its easy to manipulate numbers to prove your point. His cap hit is 8.3 no matter what he gets paid the last year, the only one who should be concern should be the Team writing the paycheck, we should worry about salary cap maximization.

Those are the straight salary numbers for next year, shown with context.  There was no manipulation or selective sampling of data.  Them's just the facts.

As for his value this year, it's only been 9 games.  You can't determine value after just 9 games.  Lin may end up being a bargain at $5 mil.  But we won't know until later in the season.  

#42 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,598 posts
    • LocationAlabama

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:29 PM

You can't determine value after 9 games, but yet you try and determine next years value with 0 games??? SMH

Why so Serious? :D

#43 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 712 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:52 PM

What I'm trying to say is that his actual salary for a year or for any player should be based on cap hit. The only person who should care is the one signing the pay check. You should judge them on their cap hit, as fans we are not the one writing the cheques. So the year before and this year his cap hit is 8.3 and we can judge his performance on that.

If you want to mention it in trade scenarios than that 14.9 salary do come in play but not if he plays out his contract.

Yes we can't judge someone on 9 games, but his efficiency will decline, but for 5 million and if he has slightly better % on fg and 3s he would be a bargain, but I don't base it on that number, as a 8.3million player, I expect more than what he did last year, and so far he has exceeded those numbers.

#44 RudyT1995

RudyT1995

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 228 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:11 PM

You can't determine value after 9 games, but yet you try and determine next years value with 0 games??? SMH

Determine next years value?  What are you talking about.  

I put up the list to put some perspective on Knickabokkaz's claim that Lin is worth the $15 mil he'll get next year because of how he's played 9 games this year.  

There are 6 names on the list and 5 of them are proven All-stars.  Guess who's the one that's not.  

Guys that are worth $15 mil have proven that they are elite over multiple seasons.  Lin hasn't even played 2 full seasons yet.

Edited by RudyT1995, 14 November 2013 - 11:17 PM.

#45 RudyT1995

RudyT1995

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 228 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:17 PM

What I'm trying to say is that his actual salary for a year or for any player should be based on cap hit. 

I was just trying to lend some perspective on Knickabokkaz enthusiastic assessment of Lin's worth.  He used the $15 mil figure, so it was relevant for me to use it for comparison.  

#46 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 2,598 posts
          • LocationAlabama

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:18 PM

What I'm saying is, we won't know whether he'll live up to next year's salary until next year. NOTHING he does this year justifies next year salary, just as NOTHING he does this year means that he won't justify next year's salary. 

Now from the small sample size we've seen this year, he's more than lived up to the 5 million he's getting paid and the 8.3 million cap hit. Of course the pace he's on is unsustainable, but we'll see at the end of the year whether he earned this year's salary or not.

#47 lawprofsr

lawprofsr

• Members
          • Pip
          • 25 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:58 AM

This whole discussion is based on an analysis of a small sample of numbers. Jeremy is having a great start and his numbers are comparable to some of the league's best right now. Not only that, some big names like Derrick Rose are not having a great start, understandably in his case. So that numerical comparison is an objective truth. Is it an indication of value over the course of the year? Well, if the other names on the list don't improve and Lin doesn't decline, then yes, by definition. Rudy's comparison with star point guards is just another way of saying, based on the name recognition and familiarity with the reliable performance of those guards that he thinks Lin won't stay in their league. That's a fair observation, but it's not inherently persuasive. If Lin keeps it up, he will be a star and belong on that list. Only time will tell. Odds are that he won't, simply because most people don't. And Jeremy has been pretty streaky in the past. But he's in position to try, which is more than can be said for most players in the league. 

Edited by lawprofsr, 15 November 2013 - 12:59 AM.

#48 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,879 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:50 AM

Many have criticized Lin and rightfully so but to say that there was a prevailing opinion on Red94 that Lin should be traded for a second round pick is definitely overstating your point and not fair to most of us who have criticized him. Do you even remember who said that, if you do perhaps you should direct it towards that forum member in a constructive manner.

I definitely remember who it was but I don't feel like starting a firestorm right now.

#49 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPip
              • 1,879 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:55 AM

I did not find this piece very enlightening, but perhaps that's because i've been watching NBA basketball for 25 years...

or maybe because it's hard to take the author seriously when he throws around statements like:

Dwight Howard is clearly not back to his dominant self. According to my tallies, in terms of both defense and rebounding – where Dwight makes his money – he has been just average, which means that he has been awful.

Huh? Isn't he is tied with Kevin Love at about 15rpg? Leads the league? That's average? Your "tallies" seem to fly in the face of ACTUAL rebounds? lol what a joke.

Clean it up editors, clean it up

In my opinion, D12 is not playing nearly at the level I was expecting and hoping he would be playing at by now and that has certainly had an impact on some of the Rockets losses this season.

It's nice that he is one of the leaders in the NBA in rebounding.

However, we need more from D12. Lots more from D12 if the Rockets are to be a major playoff contender this season.

Heck, even Asik was near the top of the rebounding stats last season.

#50 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPip
                • 1,879 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:59 AM

Just to put things in perspective, these are the highest actual salaries for PGs for 2014-2015.

1. Chris Paul $20.1 mil
                  2. Deron Williams $19.8 mil
                  3. Derek Rose $18.9 mil
                  4. Russell Westbrook $15.7 mil
                  5. Jeremy Lin $14.9 mil
                  6. Tony Parker $12.5 mil

One of those names is not like the others.

Jeremy's is the only back loaded contract of the players listed here. His cap hit is $8.3 million next year. So I'm not exactly sure what your point was?

#51 BrentYen

BrentYen

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 339 posts
                  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:37 PM

His points are pretty clear to me

Is a big Jeremy Lin fan and was a big ROX fan. More importantly, a huge bball fan in general.

#52 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 3,216 posts
                  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:15 PM

If you are going to do that then you could but the 5 million he is making this year thus making him one of the best contracts for a PG not in a rookie contract. Its easy to manipulate numbers to prove your point. His cap hit is 8.3 no matter what he gets paid the last year, the only one who should be concern should be the Team writing the paycheck, we should worry about salary cap maximization.

Thank You!

What thenit just said is absolutely correct, what Alexander Leslie is paying Lin is none of our business. If we're worried about our cap situation then worry about Lin's actual salary on the books which is around $8.3 this year and $8.3 next year--bargain! Hopefully we can re-sign him for the same amount when that time comes.   

#53 NorEastern

NorEastern

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 378 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:25 PM

Jeremy's is the only back loaded contract of the players listed here. His cap hit is $8.3 million next year. So I'm not exactly sure what your point was?

Given that the people writing NBA paychecks are generally billionaires the cap hit is all that matters. Les, who is probably not the top half of NBA owners as far as net worth, spends millions of dollars a year just signing players to compete in training camp. A good portion do not make the final roster.

#54 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 3,216 posts
                    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:55 PM

Given that the people writing NBA paychecks are generally billionaires the cap hit is all that matters. Les, who is probably not the top half of NBA owners as far as net worth, spends millions of dollars a year just signing players to compete in training camp. A good portion do not make the final roster.

Yep, all the partial guaranteed contracts Les has dished out on D-League players speaks for itself. Most of these investments don't pay off, but every now and then one does--Patrick Beverley was one. I'm sure a lot of GM's were interested in giving Beverley a chance but not many owners were willing to fork out the $2 million to buy out his overseas contract, so while Morey deserves a lot of credit for being an awesome GM we should also give Leslie Alexander credit too for all the millions he has spent on Morey's gambles. 

#55 SadLakerFan

SadLakerFan

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 179 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:52 AM

I've been reading a few of the threads on this Forum; the Lakers aren't that bad, but they are terribly uninteresting.  Some of the articles are great, but an article extrapolating a 9-game performance by one isolated player and then assessing whether it statistically justifies one year's salary in a multi-year contract - well, it's OK as a thread topic on an internet Forum, but no team in professional sports assesses big-ticket contracts like that.  Putting things "in perspective" by comparing one year of Westbrook's max contract to one year of Lin's (three-year?) deal is even more detached from reality.  Seems to me that a more logical approach would be the cost of the deal over the contract term (which includes the cap hit) compared with the revenues over the term attributable to that cost (which implicates contribution to team performance, impact on attendance, ticket pricing, sponsorships and TV deals, the revenue sharing arrangements, the time value of money, etc.).  You then compare that with other similar opportunities utilizing those same funds.  [Note: random unjustified Celtics-targeted derogatory remark] Besides, if you guys have a cap problem, Kevin McHale is an expert at finding creative solutions. 

#56 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPip
                      • 1,879 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:58 PM

Besides, if you guys have a cap problem, Kevin McHale is an expert at finding creative solutions.

Welcome to a winning NBA team blog, SadLakerFan, perhaps over the next few months we can help you change your name to HappyRocketFan !!

Anyway, just have to add that Coach McHale has none, or very little to say, in regards to Rockets salary cap issues going forward. Why? Probably because of that bad ass dude, Daryl Morey. You should google him sometime when you're not so depressed about your Lakers team.............

#57 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                        • 2,598 posts
                        • LocationAlabama

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:58 PM

I believe he's mentioning the "creative" things that were done in Minnesota.

#58 Drew in Abilene

Drew in Abilene

• Moderators
                        • 301 posts
                        • LocationAbilene

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:28 AM

It seems like Jeremy Lin is going to be polarizing whether he's playing well or not. To me, I think Lin has done a great job earning his salary this year, whether you're looking at how much he's actually paid or is cap hit. Small sample sizes have been known to trick folks, but I'd be more than happy if Lin kept up this kind of production for the next two years. In my mind, that would more than justify both his salary and cap hit.

#59 SDrake

SDrake

• Members
                        • Pip
                        • 47 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:48 AM

It seems like Jeremy Lin is going to be polarizing whether he's playing well or not. To me, I think Lin has done a great job earning his salary this year, whether you're looking at how much he's actually paid or is cap hit. Small sample sizes have been known to trick folks, but I'd be more than happy if Lin kept up this kind of production for the next two years. In my mind, that would more than justify both his salary and cap hit.

Lin isn't polarizing.  Lin has done nothing to be polarizing.  Any polarization is caused by his fans or his detractors.  Please tell me what Lin has done to be polarizing?

#60 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                          • 4,880 posts
                          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:59 AM

^Exhibit A..... :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users