Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.
@  Mario Peña : (13 September 2015 - 05:24 PM) Sad to see Moses pass. I don't remember watching him as a Rocket but I do remember his Philly and Hawks teams. He was the perfect man to mentor Dream. It's a very sad day for his family and friends and there are many.
@  majik19 : (12 September 2015 - 09:01 PM) i just saw a post wishing Yao Ming a happy 35th birthday... am I the only one whose mind is blown that he's only 35?
@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html

Photo

Jeremy Lin - Scapegoat?

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#41 BrentYen

BrentYen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:02 PM

......... the vast majority of LOF's feel the need to defend him against all negativity, even that which is constructive.

Well, because most negativity towards him were not constructive as well. But I agree that if not necessary, we do have to discuss Lin. Unless some nonconstructive comments showed up, eithr pro-Lin or Anti-Lin.

Edited by BrentYen, 09 November 2013 - 11:04 PM.

Is a big Jeremy Lin fan and was a big ROX fan. More importantly, a huge bball fan in general.

#42 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:34 AM

Maybe this fan is a little too near-sighted or overly zealous for Lin (The OP). We dont need the Lin police, but to say he's 'unimportant' is baffling. Seems like some people are also overly eager to take him down a peg. His scoring average for his career takes into account his season with GS, when he averaged like 3 points. So to use his career scoring average as evidence of his plainness is a bit irresponsible. And does a scouting report of his blazing first step negate his talent for that, especially when teams can't help defend cause Howard's in the post, and deadly 3pt shooters abound? Lol. Doesn't look like the first six games indicate such.

But still, whenever I'm tempted to be upset about some person on the internet, I just read Pina's ranking, or Bill Simmons's opinion, or remember Magic Johnson's assessment of Lin and remember whose opinions I'd rather hear. Or I just look at how he's playing with a chip on his shoulder and shooting lights-out from 2's.

To me, this season and most of last, Lin looked INTEGRAL to the team. He's top in steals, blocks for a guard, free throws for a pg, and imagine how many assists he'd have had if Asik could've finished even slightly last year. He's not my fave player, and we don't need crying about Lin's treatment, but I do have to chuckle when people take time out to remind others how mundane he is. You don't like LOFs, fine, but he's a joy to watch for me, and I'm supremely glad he's on the Rockets. Remember when he single-handedly took the Rox to overtime without Harden against the Spurs? His ceiling is very high, but who knows if he'll get there again. I'd like to see him restructure his contract and stay, as obviously 15 mil is a bit of an over-payment, lol

I cannot read past the second line of your post because no one in this thread wrote Lin was "unimportant" so you should probably get your facts straight before you begin writing your opinions here in this forum.
How sweet it is!

#43 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:25 PM

Lin played 28:29 minutes last night his stat line 3-7 shooting 6 points 1 rebound 7 assist 1 steal 5 turnovers 1 personal foul......no 3 pointers. everyone who argues in favor of him could not have been proud of his game last night. except for a couple of bright spots he basically stunk. those who think he plays defense on par with Beverly should have watched how cp3 dismantled us when Beverly left the game. some will say he could have put up better numbers with more playing time. I'm saying based on what he put up he shouldn't have got as many minutes as he did. it's hard for me to agree on his mistreatment when his  stats look like this.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#44 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:06 PM

I cannot read past the second line of your post because no one in this thread wrote Lin was "unimportant" so you should probably get your facts straight before you begin writing your opinions here in this forum.

You seem a little tense today. Is everything okay?

#45 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:41 PM

I'm waiting for a LOF to post today..........I want to see how you viewed the game put up by Lin

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#46 BrentYen

BrentYen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:51 PM

Are you calling me? The last game was terrible. He forced things. Just like what parsons did in the beginning of the season. Doc figured he was reluctant to shoot, and Lin went into the trap in the 3rd Q. The whole 7 games wise, I think he is doing great, starts or not

Edited by BrentYen, 10 November 2013 - 07:52 PM.

Is a big Jeremy Lin fan and was a big ROX fan. More importantly, a huge bball fan in general.

#47 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:00 PM

Are you calling me? The last game was terrible. He forced things. Just like what parsons did in the beginning of the season. Doc figured he was reluctant to shoot, and Lin went into the trap in the 3rd Q. The whole 7 games wise, I think he is doing great, starts or not

YES :lol: at least we saw the game the same way. he has had a reasonable start to the season, but this is my beef with Lin.........8.3 mil is to much to pay for his production. I don't think he is a useless player.....just not worth his contract. at no point this year as he earned that contract IMO

#48 BrentYen

BrentYen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:05 PM

Lin played 28:29 minutes last night his stat line 3-7 shooting 6 points 1 rebound 7 assist 1 steal 5 turnovers 1 personal foul......no 3 pointers. everyone who argues in favor of him could not have been proud of his game last night. except for a couple of bright spots he basically stunk. those who think he plays defense on par with Beverly should have watched how cp3 dismantled us when Beverly left the game. some will say he could have put up better numbers with more playing time. I'm saying based on what he put up he shouldn't have got as many minutes as he did. it's hard for me to agree on his mistreatment when his  stats look like this.

It is just one game, it is not like CP3 was only tearing up Lin or who ever was guarding him. If you use what he has put for his playing time, there are many players on the team might got too many times given the performance. mistreatment is one of the reason of his stat, not the other way around. But indeed, again, he played terrible yesterday.

Edited by BrentYen, 10 November 2013 - 08:05 PM.

#49 BrentYen

BrentYen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:07 PM

YES :lol: at least we saw the game the same way. he has had a reasonable start to the season, but this is my beef with Lin.........8.3 mil is to much to pay for his production. I don't think he is a useless player.....just not worth his contract. at no point this year as he earned that contract IMO

That is not up to him, if you regularly playing him only 27+- minutes, it is the guy who determines the PT wasting the money. Even if Lin plays insane, his PT will not go up, hence the production.

Edited by BrentYen, 10 November 2013 - 08:07 PM.

#50 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:14 PM

That is not up to him, if you regularly playing him only 27+- minutes, it is the guy who determines the PT wasting the money. Even if Lin plays insane, his PT will not go up, hence the production.

my problem with that line of thought is no matter how much time he  receives it's still up to him to be productive in that time......almost 30 minutes of time is plenty enough time, but the production isn't there. as for how cp3 played I disagree with your view......Beverly held cp3  in check. Lin did not

#51 BrentYen

BrentYen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:20 PM

my problem with that line of thought is no matter how much time he  receives it's still up to him to be productive in that time......almost 30 minutes of time is plenty enough time, but the production isn't there. as for how cp3 played I disagree with your view......Beverly held cp3  in check. Lin did not

That I can not comment because I only saw the 2nd half of the game. Maybe PB did something on D in the 1st half that I missed. About the production, IDK, Lin is already pretty efficient so far, what else can you ask? boost his FG% to 80%? He played pretty well for those games where he got more than 30 minutes, didn't he? I assume Lin did ok in the 1st Half yesterday, because seems like the starters dug a hole again, and the hole was gone at the half time.

#52 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:30 PM

That I can not comment because I only saw the 2nd half of the game. Maybe PB did something on D in the 1st half that I missed. About the production, IDK, Lin is already pretty efficient so far, what else can you ask? boost his FG% to 80%? He played pretty well for those games where he got more than 30 minutes, didn't he? I assume Lin did ok in the 1st Half yesterday, because seems like the starters dug a hole again, and the hole was gone at the half time.

I loved the 7 assist.........problem is they went with 5 turnovers. to bad you missed the first half, because you would have seen cp3 contained just about as well as he can be contained BY BEVERLY NOT LIN. as for how Lin has looked this year...........Yes he is playing better than last year, but still below his contract value IMO.

#53 BrentYen

BrentYen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:38 PM

I loved the 7 assist.........problem is they went with 5 turnovers. to bad you missed the first half, because you would have seen cp3 contained just about as well as he can be contained BY BEVERLY NOT LIN. as for how Lin has looked this year...........Yes he is playing better than last year, but still below his contract value IMO

M......5TOs are ok to ROX, they don seem to have problems with players with 5+ TOs :P . About the PB's D, if that was the case, than Rox really need to worry, how come they were behind with that kind of D.

#54 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:46 PM

M......5TOs are ok to ROX, they don seem to have problems with players with 5+ TOs :P . About the PB's D, if that was the case, than Rox really need to worry, how come they were behind with that kind of D.

I'm not ok with 5 TO's from the point guard especially with only 6 points scored. the Rockets loss the game when Beverly picked up his 4th foul and went to the bench. from that point on the Clippers ran us down like a mack truck. I'm not saying Lin is our only problem or even our biggest problem, because clearly we are struggling with the Asik/Howard pairing as well. however more games like last night doesn't help my opinion of him

#55 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:46 PM

Beverley played great, but he also hurt the team. Getting all of those fouls right after the other and having to come out. He wasn't there, and then the entire team played more passively because we were in the penalty. Those fouls were a major reason we lost. But we probably wouldn't have been close without the good he did so it's a wash.

Why so Serious? :D

#56 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:51 PM

Beverley played great, but he also hurt the team. Getting all of those fouls right after the other and having to come out. He wasn't there, and then the entire team played more passively because we were in the penalty. Those fouls were a major reason we lost. But we probably wouldn't have been close without the good he did so it's a wash.

I disagree...............the fouls Beverly picked up could have been avoided if McHale had just taken him out for a minute. him and cp3 were clearly getting into it in the third quarter. that's the point where a good coach will remove his player for a moment until the focus of the ref's change. Yes Beverly still is responsible, but good coaching could have avoided the problem in the first place.

#57 BrentYen

BrentYen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:54 PM

I'm not ok with 5 TO's from the point guard especially with only 6 points scored. the Rockets loss the game when Beverly picked up his 4th foul and went to the bench. from that point on the Clippers ran us down like a mack truck. I'm not saying Lin is our only problem or even our biggest problem, because clearly we are struggling with the Asik/Howard pairing as well. however more games like last night doesn't help my opinion of him

Isn't it because of his 2 quick fouls, the whole team had to hold back to prevent more fouls? Hence became pretty passive IMO. Not that I am bashing PB tho, I liked what I've saw from him, ROX is lucky to have him. And , yes obviously Lin is not the problem (yesterday he was), except if you think he is too expensive. I really hope some more good games will raise your take on Lin tho. Otherwise, it will just become an monotonic decreasing function.

Edit: oooops, looks like I posted some thing that is already been said by timetodienow1234567

Edited by BrentYen, 10 November 2013 - 08:58 PM.

#58 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:00 PM

Lin had a good 1at half, when he checked rockets were down double digits. I'm not sure what you expect from Lin but this was his first stinker of a game. It's not like anybody else is the team has been perfect. IMO Lin has been the most consistent player on the team averaging around 16ppg off the bench shooting over 40 behind the arc and 50fg in the first 6 games. He stunk it up the 2nd half but so did the rest of the team. Our max contract players have the most turnovers and even fewer assist so far in the season. Howard disappeared in the 2nd half. Be vs two quick fouls setup the fts and forced the defence to be passive.

Lin has not been our best player this season no one is arguing that, but he has been most consistent. Also this was he first game bev actually shot well. People need to stop raising Lin to the sky's or just bashing his contract. It is what it is right now. He stunk with the rest of the team and hopefully, they rebound on Monday.

#59 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 671 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:02 PM

Also lins struggles in 2nd half, I wouldn't have put him in the last 5 min, but on the other hand both capsid and Garcia was 1 of 5 I think and we only have an 8 man rotation, so I blame mchale for not expanding it. Lin should be the 6 th man but he should only finish the games if he earned it by playing well the 3 first q

#60 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,125 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:02 PM

I agree that Bev played about as well as one can against CP3.  While it is easy to blame McHale for not taking him out once it was apparent the refs were going to nip their aggressive play in the bud, it is also on Beverley to not let Paul get in his head--it was a savvy, veteran move on Paul's part.

The thing I liked is that Beverley was fearless and was able to get Paul to kick it into that higher gear (which he normally doesn't need to use).  I think that says a lot about Beverley's ability and future potential as he learns how to control himself a little better.

As for Lin, he was mostly a non-factor aside from the turnovers--some of them were pretty bad.  With his quick first step I'd like to see him develop some change of pace skills (like Brandon Roy and Derrick Rose).  Using your opponents own movements against them makes things so much easier.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users