Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

What do the Rockets do with Omer Asik?

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#41 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,123 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:54 PM

I think 2016 is saying that it would be hard for both Asik and Howard to play against that Line up which I agree..it would be hard for Howard to keep up with Durant and Asik would have equal problems with Ibaka..I do think we have plenty of teams we can play them both with..Clippers Mem..sanatonio..i even don't mind Howard on Lee vs golden state..not saying I want them to start or even close out games together..just not against the idea of those two playing together vs some line ups out there..I really believe Tjones and Dmo will play good enough that won't need Asik to play with Howard that much..also I think we will want to play small ball alot with Casspi or Chandler at the 4

true asik may be on the bench during this period, but that's the beautiful part about what we have assembled. we can mix and match our lineup without losing much. other teams don't have this flexibility. besides with Howard in the game you can bet OKC will have perkins in the game. they have nothing else that is even close to matching up to him. I don't view OKC as our biggest threat...........the clippers are our biggest threat. if we meet OKC in the playoffs we should beat them 

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#42 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:54 PM

That's interesting....I would definitely try to attack them in the post.  Maybe even get D-Mo and Dwight in there together and post up D-Mo against Durant as well as Dwight vs. Ibaka....if we can get some fouls racked up that negates their offensive advantage pretty quickly.  It may fail miserably, but with a 7' 260+ lb. D-Mo against skin-n-bones Durant in the post I like our chances.

I do like the sounds of our bigger and improved DMo against skin-n-bones Durant in the post. Unlike Dwight, I think DMo has fantastic skill and dexterity in the post: 

For whatever it's worth, DMo ranked 5th (1.05 PPP) on post-up efficiency last season. Ofcourse, this is a very small sample (28 attempts) but I would love to see what happens with a bigger sample size. 

Edited by 2016Champions, 23 July 2013 - 08:54 PM.

#43 Rockets fan newton

Rockets fan newton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:41 PM

true asik may be on the bench during this period, but that's the beautiful part about what we have assembled. we can mix and match our lineup without losing much. other teams don't have this flexibility. besides with Howard in the game you can bet OKC will have perkins in the game. they have nothing else that is even close to matching up to him. I don't view OKC as our biggest threat...........the clippers are our biggest threat. if we meet OKC in the playoffs we should beat them

I'm with you there..honestly I have OKC taking a big step back and fighting the Spurs for the 4/5th spot..I put Golden state ahead of them..I think bogut will play well this year..Goldenstate and the Clippers will be our only challenge this year..and I also agree that we are the deepest team in the league..we have a twin tower line up and a really good small line up with or without Dwght that can compete with anyone..and that's still with Lin Tjones and Dmo as ? Marks..if they play well at all I don't think the heat can see us in a 7 game series

#44 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,596 posts
    • LocationAlabama

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:43 PM

OKC doesn't take a step back unless Westbrook isn't himself. I know Perk has been horrendous, but Ibaka Durant and Westbrook all improve every year. Until that trend stops I'm not going to count them out.

Why so Serious? :D

#45 bboley24

bboley24

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 393 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:59 PM

I'm with you there..honestly I have OKC taking a big step back and fighting the Spurs for the 4/5th spot..I put Golden state ahead of them..I think bogut will play well this year..Goldenstate and the Clippers will be our only challenge this year..and I also agree that we are the deepest team in the league..we have a twin tower line up and a really good small line up with or without Dwght that can compete with anyone..and that's still with Lin Tjones and Dmo as ? Marks..if they play well at all I don't think the heat can see us in a 7 game series

Woah now.  I love my boys in red as much as the next guy but cripes!  This is a freaking loaded paragraph here.  You forgot that these teams are just as stacked as we are and some.  OKC and MIA are just 2 teams that are more powerful than us.  OKC has straight up bangers and Miami is LOADED with talent.  

#46 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,123 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:40 AM

Woah now.  I love my boys in red as much as the next guy but cripes!  This is a freaking loaded paragraph here.  You forgot that these teams are just as stacked as we are and some.  OKC and MIA are just 2 teams that are more powerful than us.  OKC has straight up bangers and Miami is LOADED with talent.  

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect us to be better than OKC. I think you underestimate how much D-12 will change the outlook of the games. he will cause a mismatch in our favor. also we are not without talents on the wings too. they have a jump on us in chemistry, but that's about it. I think they took a step back this year. wishing and praying lamb will turn into Harden this year might be a gamble that backfires on them. besides they only have ibaka in the box. I think they will be more worried about matching up to us. as for Miami, I think the playoffs runs they have had over the last 3 years are beginning to take their toll. which Lebron still looks like a freak of nature, wade appears to be breaking down and bosh is disappearing. so YEAH we are capable of winning it all. I'm not selling my team short.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#47 CC.

CC.

Rookie

• Members
      • PipPip
      • 72 posts
      • LocationTX

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:37 AM

Wait okay, I can see the decline of OKC in the west, and Golden State along with the Clippers will be a challenge for us, but the Spurs for the 4th and 5th seed? No way...this isn't a Spurs team that just has Parker, Duncan, and Ginobili. Green and Leonard have youth (kinda, but ignoring Green's defense they're potential borderline all-stars...maybe...in the east?) and talent and cannot be ignored, and they have plenty of role players in Neal, Splitter, Diaw, and Neals. But anyone can disagree with me on that-

Here's an article and great read from Bill Simmons---

http://www.grantland...m-duncan-part-2

---speaking on Tim Duncan's career along with a little history of the Spurs. He makes the case and has admit it before, him along with hundreds of people have written off the Spurs in playoff and Finals run, age ruining their star trio, coach Pop losing his genius or whatever case, and just plainly not being a consistent contender. Which is the exact opposite of what the Spurs have been doing! Duncan has played a great season, a better one compared to his last few, Parker is being titled the best PG in the league, Ginobili still hasn't lost all of his touch, and Pop is being discussed in the same conversations as Phil Jackson! They would've made history if they would've won! Warriors need to sync Iggy in with time. Clippers don't even have a solid 9 man rotation w/ bench, which I'll admit was deep but Vinny never knew how to use it and now have a new coach to handle, OKC lost Martin and Reggie might not provide enough spark, and Grizzlies don't have Gay anymore which I think is still relevant as they lost their only real clutch shooter.

And that's why Spurs are 1st seed to me.  B)

Edited by CC., 24 July 2013 - 03:39 AM.

#48 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,123 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:14 AM

spurs #1...........I don't see it. granted they have denied father time his proper due, but he will win eventually. Yes they do have some young pieces, but their stars are nearing the end of the race. besides neal ( a key role player) is being released by them. they will be among the top 6 teams, but unlikely # 1 (IMO)

#49 panterica

panterica

• Members
      • Pip
      • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:06 PM

I found this quote from Bill Ingram's twitter relieving:

@phdhuangshan Asik is preparing to be D12's backup. I think it was agentspeak when he was "unhappy." He told me he would happily backup D12.

#50 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 2,596 posts
        • LocationAlabama

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

Of course he would say that. He's not stupid. I don't believe him though.

Why so Serious? :D

#51 panterica

panterica

• Members
        • Pip
        • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

Of course he would say that. He's not stupid. I don't believe him though.

I had doubts, too, but I thought about it and figured the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Maybe he's upset his role was diminished (ok, yeah I'm sure he was upset), but maybe he's also still happy to stay with this team.

#52 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,123 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:48 PM

I found this quote from Bill Ingram's twitter relieving:

@phdhuangshan Asik is preparing to be D12's backup. I think it was agentspeak when he was "unhappy." He told me he would happily backup D12.

welcome to the forum :rolleyes: this is good news.

I had doubts, too, but I thought about it and figured the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Maybe he's upset his role was diminished (ok, yeah I'm sure he was upset), but maybe he's also still happy to stay with this team.

I agree......at least let's hope that's the case

#53 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,636 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:51 PM

What ever we do we keep him. When asik was on the floor last year we were a top 10 defense and when he wan't we were 28th, so that's why we had a bad defense average. However with dwight and asik we will have the elite 48 minute rim protection and with defensive minded Jones, everyone improving on defense, and hopefully Parsons becoming our good perimeter defender, we will have an elite 5 defense guaranteed along with top 3 offense, that doesn't mean contender, it means champion. Now get rid of asik, you can kiss that dream goodbye. 

#54 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,636 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:05 PM

Wait okay, I can see the decline of OKC in the west, and Golden State along with the Clippers will be a challenge for us, but the Spurs for the 4th and 5th seed? No way...this isn't a Spurs team that just has Parker, Duncan, and Ginobili. Green and Leonard have youth (kinda, but ignoring Green's defense they're potential borderline all-stars...maybe...in the east?) and talent and cannot be ignored, and they have plenty of role players in Neal, Splitter, Diaw, and Neals. But anyone can disagree with me on that-

Here's an article and great read from Bill Simmons---

http://www.grantland...m-duncan-part-2

---speaking on Tim Duncan's career along with a little history of the Spurs. He makes the case and has admit it before, him along with hundreds of people have written off the Spurs in playoff and Finals run, age ruining their star trio, coach Pop losing his genius or whatever case, and just plainly not being a consistent contender. Which is the exact opposite of what the Spurs have been doing! Duncan has played a great season, a better one compared to his last few, Parker is being titled the best PG in the league, Ginobili still hasn't lost all of his touch, and Pop is being discussed in the same conversations as Phil Jackson! They would've made history if they would've won! Warriors need to sync Iggy in with time. Clippers don't even have a solid 9 man rotation w/ bench, which I'll admit was deep but Vinny never knew how to use it and now have a new coach to handle, OKC lost Martin and Reggie might not provide enough spark, and Grizzlies don't have Gay anymore which I think is still relevant as they lost their only real clutch shooter.

And that's why Spurs are 1st seed to me.  B)

Spurs are always a contender. However the one up we have on the the thunder and the clippers is we are far deeper and we have talented big men who will control the paint and the boards and that's what wins in the playoffs. GS warriors are overrated, they have no talented big men, they gutted their bench for iggy, and they are a jumpshooting team. Which means you live and die by the jumpshot and they just got hot during the playoffs. But when curry twisted his glass ankle and the spurs defense shut down Klay, the splash brothers just disappeared  and Harrison barnes rose from their shadows, but it looks like he will get lost behind iggy now... So Sad.

Edited by Buckko, 24 July 2013 - 05:07 PM.

#55 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPip
              • 1,636 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:12 PM

Trust me, it's the spurs.We can go big and easily out muscle the clippers and control the boards and the paint. The spurs always adjust and re-adjust, they aren't such silent killers because of all their basketball IQ and train talent, but because Pop is such a damn fine coach.

#56 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 4,123 posts
                • Locationhouston

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:20 PM

Trust me, it's the spurs.We can go big and easily out muscle the clippers and control the boards and the paint. The spurs always adjust and re-adjust, they aren't such silent killers because of all their basketball IQ and train talent, but because Pop is such a damn fine coach.

welcome to the forum :rolleyes:

I agree with what you say, but still father time has to run them down sooner or later. this may be that time

#57 Dmes

Dmes

• Members
                • Pip
                • 7 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:16 PM

@rocket94

1.Why Asik needs to develop a three?  10-16 footers is enough, and it's nothing new  to him. Last year  Asik  took some midrange shoots.  LMA mostly takes midrange shoots, and he is one of the best PF out there.

2.The conventional  wisdom is that  Howard will play at 4, not Asik. Howard is as mobile as Zach Randolph ,and memphis is a top ten defensive team. One reason why Howard likes Asik, is probably because  Howard wants to play Power Forward.

3.The training with  "the dream" can be considered as a Morey's bribe for Asik.  Morey is gambling that a chance to work on offense with one of the best centers will  keep Asik satisfied.

4.Asik's led Bench mob  was the big reason  why Bulls  was  an elite defensive team for  two consequetive seasons.  If Joakim Noah + Omer Asik off the bench could work really well for Bulls in the past, I see no reason why Dwight Howard + Omer Asik off the bench  can't work wonder for Rockets. granted, Chicago Bulls were in the east, so were Orlando Magic.... 

#58 Rockets fan newton

Rockets fan newton

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 144 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:17 PM

Woah now. I love my boys in red as much as the next guy but cripes! This is a freaking loaded paragraph here. You forgot that these teams are just as stacked as we are and some. OKC and MIA are just 2 teams that are more powerful than us. OKC has straight up bangers and Miami is LOADED with talent.

Yea they are great..for two superstars and what else tho?..Ibaka can play..but no one is scared of him..if Durand and Westbrook fm don't score 60 combined I pick us in that game..all I'm saying is that we are the deepest team in the league and I'm not scared of anyone..we two true superstars and parsons and Lin who could be all stars..with 5 or so role players that can play really well..we have a more flexibility with our line up then anyone..like I said if Lin and Tjones improve on last year and fill their role like we need them too..I pick us in 7 games over anyone..lol and if they don't work out we ship then our with Asik for a major upgrade

Edited by Rockets fan newton, 24 July 2013 - 07:19 PM.

#59 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPip
                    • 1,636 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

welcome to the forum :rolleyes:

I agree with what you say, but still father time has to run them down sooner or later. this may be that time

Ya its good to be here, but Duncan is a big and they can last much longer in the league than a smaller player who relies on athleticism. As long as they keep managing his minutes, he will always be the most refreshed player on the court. Not to mention the spurs new rising stars.    

#60 Rockets fan newton

Rockets fan newton

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 144 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:42 PM

Ya its good to be here, but Duncan is a big and they can last much longer in the league than a smaller player who relies on athleticism. As long as they keep managing his minutes, he will always be the most refreshed player on the court. Not to mention the spurs new rising stars.

They should have lost to Golden state before they added Iggy..I realize they lost good bench players but they will be better then last year..I just don't think they will win enough games during the long reg season to keep up with us the clippers and golden state..they are good and have the best coach I just think we have better all around teams

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users