Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

What do the Rockets do with Omer Asik?

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#21 miketheodio

miketheodio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:43 PM

no one stops an elite player. you can only contain them. team defense is what works against elite players.

#22 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 548 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:00 PM

So, what you're saying is we need to transform Asik into Mehmet Okur? Ain't gonna happen..

Be rest assured, Morey has done all the shopping for players he needs to do for a while. Asik, in particular is the type of player that goes to a team in desperation to relieve themselves of talented malcontents , i.e, Love and LMA. And, this type of deal isn't began with Morey calling up teams, it's best done with Morey standing silent, forcing other teams to give up the goat. We will rarely see Howard and Asik on the floor except in the rare occasion where the matchups demand it. What we will see is 48 minutes of the most tenacious post in the league with fresh legs playing the entire time. Asik isn't going to be hurt by this, he's still bound to get 20+ minutes every game. The only one who suffers from us not getting 100% from Asik is himself. Ask Gortat how detrimental to his career it was coming off the bench behind Howard.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it came out, but I know it won't, that Morey's camp purposely leaked Asik's unrest (even if not true) to the media only to be quickly rescinded by himself as a non-option, just to sow the seeds of doubt in other GMs, all the while building high value in his asset. Genius, really.

#23 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 2,596 posts
      • LocationAlabama

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:38 PM

Dwight always shoots threes at the all star game. I wonder...

Why so Serious? :D

#24 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
      • 2,303 posts
      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:17 AM

First of all, Asik is not shooting threes.

In the Western Conference we are basically up against OKC, LAC and the Spurs and to a lesser extent Memphis. Doesn't having the ability to trot out 2 bigs help out and create mismatches against those teams to varying degrees. Don't the Rockets get all the boards and shut down OKC in transition plus close the lane down versus Durant and Westbrook. I just don't see the Clippers being able to break down the Rockets defense with lobs or by Paul penetrating and scoring points in the paint. With the Spurs the Rockets can shut down Duncan in the paint which would belong to the Rockets furthermore defenders could force Spur 3 point shooters off the 3 point line and let them drive into the bigs. As for Memphis I will take Howard/Asik over Randolph/Gasol everyday. Seems like a no brainer, it's about defense not offense.
      How sweet it is!

#25 bboley24

bboley24

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 393 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:21 AM

He has trouble with free throws.  How will he hit a 3?  Mobility is needed to get them off anyhow.

#26 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 3,216 posts
        • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:07 PM

Well written article on Omer Asik's availability: http://sports.yahoo....-193100201.html

Here's a snippit: 

The first problem with keeping Asik is the fact that he can't play next to Howard. Forget what some of the analysts are saying, Howard plays best next to a forward who can stretch the floor. In Howard's best seasons in Orlando, he played next to Rashard Lewis and Hedo Turkoglu. In the 2008-2009 season, the year that Orlando made it to the NBA Finals, Turkoglu and Lewis combined for 354 threes during the regular season (more than four per game). Orlando's offense revolved around lobbing the ball inside to D12 to get the defense moving, with the rest of the squad making the right pass and taking the right shots. 

Also, Orlando had Marcin Gortat for three and a half years, and the talented seven-footer never played big minutes next to Howard. If Gortat, who is a considerably better offensive talent than Asik, couldn't play effective offense next to Howard, why would Asik be able to? Asik has no shooting ability whatsoever, he doesn't have quick feet, and he isn't a great finisher, which will likely make him more of a liability in this year's offense than last year's offense. Even last year in Los Angeles, Howard had trouble playing next to Pau Gasol, who is a better passer and considerably better shooter than Asik. If Gasol and Howard both struggled playing alongside each other, wouldn't that mean the Asik and Howard frontcourt has a zero chance of finding success together? 

Edited by 2016Champions, 22 July 2013 - 09:07 PM.

#27 CC.

CC.

Rookie

• Members
        • PipPip
        • 72 posts
        • LocationTX

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:48 AM

Asik should stay this 2013/14 season! There's no one else I'd prefer left in this summer's free agency that I'd be willing to let Asik go for the C and PF position (LMA being an exception but even I don't like him too much to get rid of Asik..). I'm aware him being a bench player again isn't amusing for the guy but I'd make him wait till summer 2014 and ship him out in a trade for someone that's included in that '14 summer FA filled with stars (and I don't expect a star player in return). In my eyes if Camby does join the team I don't see him as a back-up center that could last a whole season including a playoff run. Smith's age can handle it longer but he hasn't become a solid back-up..yet. He needs to polish up.

Asik is too much of a defensive value to be given away this early.

#28 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPipPip
        • 702 posts
        • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:20 AM

First of all, I want to make clear that I love Omer and I want him to stay. Having said that, the same principles that apply for Minnesota and Portland losing leverage in a possible trade as time goes by, apply for us as well. If we wait until next year, Asik will be paid 15 million, and I guess no owner will find it funny even though would only count 8 million against the cap. Hence, we lose leverage, but mostly, Asik loses tons of value.

#29 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,865 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:32 AM

ale11, on 22 Jul 2013 - 23:25, said:
          First of all, I want to make clear that I love Omer and I want him to stay. Having said that, the same principles that apply for Minnesota and Portland losing leverage in a possible trade as time goes by, apply for us as well. If we wait until next year, Asik will be paid 15 million, and I guess no owner will find it funny even though would only count 8 million against the cap. Hence, we lose leverage, but mostly, Asik loses tons of value.

Other people have said similar things about Lin's contract.

However, the $15 million in the last season is not that big of a deal in my opinion. Why? Assume Asik gets traded in February 2015 right at the trade deadline. About 60% of the regular season will already be over, that equals $9 million of Asik's last year's earnings. The Rockets can trade Asik for another player or players and draft picks equaling his salary slot (about $8.5 million) so the Rockets should be able to get good value back. In addition, they can include up to $2 million in cash to the team they trade Asik to (if necessary) which results in the acquiring team only paying $4 million of Asik's remaining salary for the 2014-15 season.

Substitute Jeremy Lin for Omer Asik above and it's the exact same argument.

In my opinion, though, I truly expect the Rockets and Morey will come across a deal they can't pass up with Asik prior to February 2015. But if not, his and Jeremy Lin's last year salary to me isn't a huge negative.

#30 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,865 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:40 AM

CC., on 22 Jul 2013 - 20:53, said:
            Asik should stay this 2013/14 season! There's no one else I'd prefer left in this summer's free agency that I'd be willing to let Asik go for the C and PF position (LMA being an exception but even I don't like him too much to get rid of Asik..). I'm aware him being a bench player again isn't amusing for the guy but I'd make him wait till summer 2014 and ship him out in a trade for someone that's included in that '14 summer FA filled with stars (and I don't expect a star player in return). In my eyes if Camby does join the team I don't see him as a back-up center that could last a whole season including a playoff run. Smith's age can handle it longer but he hasn't become a solid back-up..yet. He needs to polish up.

Asik is too much of a defensive value to be given away this early.

Welcome to the forum CC!!

Waiting to trade Asik in the Summer of 2014 to acquire a free agent isn't a guarantee. For one, whoever the Rockets might sign as a free agent would require his prior team to accept a sign and trade deal which certainly is not etched in stone. For instance, D12 was not a sign and trade free agent. The Lakers got absolutely nada, zippo, zero when D12 signed with the Rockets.

If Camby joins the Rockets, I would expect he will play very limited minutes in the regular season with the goal of using his experience primarily in the playoffs. This should keep Camby healthy until he possibly becomes a rotation player. Who knows, perhaps the Rockets are clicking on all cylinders and Camby just becomes a towel waiver at the end of the bench during the playoffs. Camby, more than anything else. is an insurance policy in case one or more of the Rockets bigs go down to injury. And someone with many years of experience playing against all the bigs in the league.

I agree with you that Asik is too valuable to be given away this early. However, if an incredible trade opportunity presents itself requiring Asik as a trade chip, I'm sure Morey and the Rockets won't hesitate. Until then, I fully expect Asik to be an important contributing rotation player for the Rockets.

#31 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,865 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:45 AM

2016Champions, on 22 Jul 2013 - 16:12, said:
              Well written article on Omer Asik's availability: http://sports.yahoo....-193100201.html

Here's a snippit:

I can't argue with that at all. In fact, that's what I had been saying consistently all along during the D12 Sweepstakes, that Asik likely will have to be moved. The good news is the Rockets don't have to rush trading Asik and I believe his value is only going to go up over time simply because there are so few quality centers in the NBA these days. Based on Morey's proven methods, I expect the Rockets will at minimum receive full value when trading Asik, possibly even better than that. In Morey I Trust!!

#32 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPip
              • 1,865 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:48 AM

feelingsupersonic, on 16 Jul 2013 - 21:22, said:
                First of all, Asik is not shooting threes.

In the Western Conference we are basically up against OKC, LAC and the Spurs and to a lesser extent Memphis. Doesn't having the ability to trot out 2 bigs help out and create mismatches against those teams to varying degrees. Don't the Rockets get all the boards and shut down OKC in transition plus close the lane down versus Durant and Westbrook. I just don't see the Clippers being able to break down the Rockets defense with lobs or by Paul penetrating and scoring points in the paint. With the Spurs the Rockets can shut down Duncan in the paint which would belong to the Rockets furthermore defenders could force Spur 3 point shooters off the 3 point line and let them drive into the bigs. As for Memphis I will take Howard/Asik over Randolph/Gasol everyday. Seems like a no brainer, it's about defense not offense.

I agree. I would also add it's going to come down to matchups in order for Asik and D12 to get some playing time together on the court. For instance, you can't ask Asik and D12 to chase down a PF outside the 3-point line and expect good results. However, having both on the floor when matched up with the Grizzlies front line or the Clippers front line, certainly those are the games I would expect to see more of Asik and D12 together on the court.

#33 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 2,596 posts
                • LocationAlabama

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:08 PM

Against OKC they would just go small ball.

C = Ibaka
                PF = Durant
                SF = Thabo
                SG = Lamb
                PG = Westbrook

That lineup would negate going big and turn it into a liability.

#34 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 2,008 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:10 PM

C = Ibaka
                  PF = Durant
                  SF = Thabo
                  SG = Lamb
                  PG = Westbrook

That lineup gets killed on defense.

#35 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 3,216 posts
                  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

Dwight will bully Ibaka and dominate the boards, but I wouldn't say that line-up gets killed defensively, the only bad defender in that line-up is Lamb.

Edited by 2016Champions, 23 July 2013 - 04:18 PM.

#36 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                  • 4,128 posts
                  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:08 PM

That's interesting....I would definitely try to attack them in the post.  Maybe even get D-Mo and Dwight in there together and post up D-Mo against Durant as well as Dwight vs. Ibaka....if we can get some fouls racked up that negates their offensive advantage pretty quickly.  It may fail miserably, but with a 7' 260+ lb. D-Mo against skin-n-bones Durant in the post I like our chances.

#37 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 4,123 posts
                  • Locationhouston

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:15 PM

C = Ibaka
                  PF = Durant
                  SF = Thabo
                  SG = Lamb
                  PG = Westbrook

disagree........we would beat this lineup. who among them is going to stop Howard? WE would pound the smaller players in the low post there by setting up the rest of what we want to do

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#38 CC.

CC.

Rookie

• Members
                  • PipPip
                  • 72 posts
                  • LocationTX

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:01 PM

Welcome to the forum CC!!

Waiting to trade Asik in the Summer of 2014 to acquire a free agent isn't a guarantee. For one, whoever the Rockets might sign as a free agent would require his prior team to accept a sign and trade deal which certainly is not etched in stone. For instance, D12 was not a sign and trade free agent. The Lakers got absolutely nada, zippo, zero when D12 signed with the Rockets.

If Camby joins the Rockets, I would expect he will play very limited minutes in the regular season with the goal of using his experience primarily in the playoffs. This should keep Camby healthy until he possibly becomes a rotation player. Who knows, perhaps the Rockets are clicking on all cylinders and Camby just becomes a towel waiver at the end of the bench during the playoffs. Camby, more than anything else. is an insurance policy in case one or more of the Rockets bigs go down to injury. And someone with many years of experience playing against all the bigs in the league.

I agree with you that Asik is too valuable to be given away this early. However, if an incredible trade opportunity presents itself requiring Asik as a trade chip, I'm sure Morey and the Rockets won't hesitate. Until then, I fully expect Asik to be an important contributing rotation player for the Rockets.

Thanks for the welcome  :)

Thanks for the lesson too on the sign and trade process. I'm a little new to this so as far as all the details go I can understand that Asik won't be easy to move. I've also read around here on others opinions and can say that you're right on Camby and I too agree that Morey might take some time on deciding if Asik is good here and now, or if he's tempted on doing a surprise Harden trade just like last season. Nevertheless it's great to be a Rocket fan right now. !

#39 Rockets fan newton

Rockets fan newton

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 144 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

disagree........we would beat this lineup. who among them is going to stop Howard? WE would pound the smaller players in the low post there by setting up the rest of what we want to do

I think 2016 is saying that it would be hard for both Asik and Howard to play against that Line up which I agree..it would be hard for Howard to keep up with Durant and Asik would have equal problems with Ibaka..I do think we have plenty of teams we can play them both with..Clippers Mem..sanatonio..i even don't mind Howard on Lee vs golden state..not saying I want them to start or even close out games together..just not against the idea of those two playing together vs some line ups out there..I really believe Tjones and Dmo will play good enough that won't need Asik to play with Howard that much..also I think we will want to play small ball alot with Casspi or Chandler at the 4

#40 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 2,596 posts
                    • LocationAlabama

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:56 PM

On defense it will work out some games. On offense it will work out very few games.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users