Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  cointurtlemoose : (21 November 2015 - 06:39 AM) McHale might not have been a great coach, but he definitely was NOT the problem with this team...
@  majik19 : (21 November 2015 - 02:31 AM) our team is just embarassing
@  cointurtlemoose : (19 November 2015 - 07:11 AM) That was the most Corey Brewer thing I have ever seen
@  majik19 : (19 November 2015 - 04:20 AM) how the hell did that happen? maybe just switching from McHale to JB will change our bad luck...
@  Willk : (19 November 2015 - 03:58 AM) in my face
@  bboley24 : (19 November 2015 - 03:55 AM) So that just happened
@  Cooper : (19 November 2015 - 03:53 AM) got the win
@  Willk : (19 November 2015 - 02:06 AM) fire McHale! playing like crap again
@  SadLakerFan : (18 November 2015 - 06:21 PM) It's unfair, but it's the right move because it's the only move major move they had available to them. But, it seems just a tad premature - I wonder what was really said in the player meeting.
@  majik19 : (18 November 2015 - 06:03 PM) So much for building off continuity now that the core is in place... It's probably about time for another "Morey's Plan" article from Rahat.
@  txtdo1411 : (18 November 2015 - 05:26 PM) No problem. He definitely made it clear that changes will continue to be made until we are winning again.
@  cointurtlemoose : (18 November 2015 - 05:19 PM) Thanks for the link, txtdo; good words from Morey, I thought
@  cointurtlemoose : (18 November 2015 - 05:14 PM) Wow, I expected this 6 or 7 games from now if things didn't change... This seems a tad early. And they better have a replacement actually in mind and ready to hire, otherwise this seems like a misguided move
@  txtdo1411 : (18 November 2015 - 05:13 PM) Its going on right now.
@  txtdo1411 : (18 November 2015 - 05:13 PM) http://api.viglink.c...9&title=Rockets Press Conference 11am - ClutchFans&txt=http://www.khou.com/videos/news/loca...7/29/12651418/
@  slick shoes : (18 November 2015 - 05:12 PM) Anyone know where to listen in to the DM press conference?
@  DenverRocket : (18 November 2015 - 04:50 PM) Shocked too, but then again not. Something had to give. I can't see JB being given the reins f/t. Surely they have a contingency? Thibs?
@  txtdo1411 : (18 November 2015 - 04:48 PM) I wonder if the plan is to find a replacement fairly quickly, or to give JB a shot. I'm trying to understand how things would change, since JB has been in the locker room all year. The players are going to give him effort now just because McHale is gone?
@  majik19 : (18 November 2015 - 04:22 PM) just shocked. I feel like this is now a lost season. We were struggling under McHale, but do we really think J.B. can lead us to a championship?
@  thenit : (18 November 2015 - 04:19 PM) Its becoming a winner or becoming Melo, great scorer but not coachable

Photo

Non-Rocket Free Agent News

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#61 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:01 AM

The problem is that not that many teams actually have talented scoring centers, (in the west, it's essentially  Dwight / Pekovic / Faried maybe. ) so i'm not too overly worried on him getting pushed around a bit as long as he can still secure the glass, I am worried more if he could actually take the beating though.

Also, the rules have changed in recent years to the point where it benefits thinner players more, as they now call charges down low a lot more often then they use to. so it's no longer a total given that Dwight can just ram through Davis with impunity all game, a lot of time that gets called a charge.

#62 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,597 posts
    • LocationAlabama

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:07 AM

I think people are overrating the Pelicans. They have no true superstar. Evans has struggled and has declined every year since his rookie year. Jrue played well last year and got paid for it. Gordon is injury prone. They don't have a C(both Anderson and Unibrow are PFs). They got better, but not contenders. We'll see if their cast of egos can become a team.

Dallas did not have a bad offseason considering. I don't like the Calderon signing, except when you look at it for what it is. They'll compete next year and get the 6th seed. They now have tradable pieces. Their coach Carlisle will make these players shine. Dalembert has a lot to prove after being beaten out by Sanders. I think he comes in focused. Ellis now has a coach who made JJ Barea look like a star and an old worn down kid look decent(when he got to NY, damn was he old). Obviously they didn't upgrade enough to win a ring, but they did get guys they can make look really good and hopefully get Cousins/Love/Aldridge/etc... via a trade. I liked their offseason. They took a risk with Ellis, but if he pays off, damn. Also Dirk will be healthy this year, so that'll help. 

Why so Serious? :D

#63 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 506 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:32 AM

Well, Davis is probably the Pelican's true super star, assuming he stays on the trajectory he's on now. a 19 year old big with a 17/10 per 36 on top of 2 + blocks and a PER of 21+?? sign me up.  But I'm not sure if he can do it right away next year, in terms of minutes and pounding.

But yes, how they figure out their back court would make or break their season. the variation can be very high there.

As for Dallas, in theory I like their team, but in practice Jose Calderon always misses a bunch of games a year, and Dirk hasn't been healthy in the last 2 season, and obvious Marion / Carter are even better injury risks. If their core group can play 70+ games together, I definitely can see them making the playoffs. But giving the names and age of those names, that seems highly doubtful.

Also, how they use Monte Ellis will be interesting, he's actually a good 6th man if they use him like that, but I'm note sure he's willing to do it.

#64 CC.

CC.

Rookie

• Members
      • PipPip
      • 72 posts
      • LocationTX

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:08 AM

Well, Davis is probably the Pelican's true super star, assuming he stays on the trajectory he's on now. a 19 year old big with a 17/10 per 36 on top of 2 + blocks and a PER of 21+?? sign me up.  But I'm not sure if he can do it right away next year, in terms of minutes and pounding.

But yes, how they figure out their back court would make or break their season. the variation can be very high there.

As for Dallas, in theory I like their team, but in practice Jose Calderon always misses a bunch of games a year, and Dirk hasn't been healthy in the last 2 season, and obvious Marion / Carter are even better injury risks. If their core group can play 70+ games together, I definitely can see them making the playoffs. But giving the names and age of those names, that seems highly doubtful.

Also, how they use Monte Ellis will be interesting, he's actually a good 6th man if they use him like that, but I'm note sure he's willing to do it.

I'd say Davis is on his way to being an All-Star, if he improves his sophomore year unlike Evans. As of now I'd put Jrue as the Pelican's sure contender of being their super star. Their best PG since Chris Paul and his last season's stats closely mirror Paul's career over there(17.7ppg, 8 apg, 4.2 rpg).

They're an 8th seed at best, and will be competing with Wolves, Mavs, and maybe Blazers, Kings

#65 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 2,597 posts
      • LocationAlabama

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:16 AM

I'd say Davis is on his way to being an All-Star, if he improves his sophomore year unlike Evans. As of now I'd put Jrue as the Pelican's sure contender of being their super star. Their best PG since Chris Paul and his last season's stats closely mirror Paul's career over there(17.7ppg, 8 apg, 4.2 rpg).

They're an 8th seed at best, and will be competing with Wolves, Mavs, and maybe Blazers, Kings

Are you making a case that Jrue is in Paul's league????????????????? Jrue is a borderline all-star not a superstar.

#66 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,865 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:48 AM

Yeah, I think it's pretty much agreed upon that the top 6 is OKC / SAS / HOU / LAC / MEM / GSW in some order and they'll make it barring some absurdly bad luck with injury.

As for the others, it's hard to rank them at this point, a lot of IFs and maybe,  I'd generally rank them in this order though.

Den: home court advantage simply too large to miss the playoffs. unless their team is truly awful.)

Min: probably best colleciton of talent with good coach and already knows each other, question is can they defend? but don't need to to make it. might be a top 5 offense. feels similar to us last season in many sense.

Por : I know the bench was bad, but there is some other underlying issues there as well , like Lillard can't defend, LMA becoming ever more in love with his mid range game. etc..  I'm not sure, they're close, but I think they're a step below Min since they have all their problems but a lower ceiling of talents.

Noh: if they make it, it will be because Davis take another significant step forward, if Davis reaches near super star territory then they can plausibly get over the hump, but if not, their backcourt has major disappointment written all over it.

Mav: this is hard to rank since I figure they have to get a center somewhere / somehow.  and that'll change things, and if that center is adequate then they're actually in a fine spot, since Dirk + Calderon + Ellis is actually very strong offensively, and they're vetty enough to play really savvy team defense.  but without one they're in huge trouble. comeon, anything, Cole Aldrich / Hasheem Tabheet even.

LAL: this depends a lot on when Kobe comes back and how he looks, if he keep defying medical logic then LAL will push to the top of this group, if he doesn't then they're probably the worst of this group.

I'm in full agreement with RollingWave about the likely top 6 in the West this upcoming season (barring major health issues, of course).

After that, I think it's pretty wide open at the start of the season. It's kind of hard to count out Kobe and the Lakers making it, especially if Kobe rejoins the Lakers much sooner than later. I like what Minnesota is doing assuming they eventually re-sign Pekovic. I'm not so certain about Denver with all the turnover with their coaches and front office and losing Iguodola is huge. Lots of up and coming teams could challenge for one of the likely remaining playoff slots include Portland and New Orleans, and to a lesser extent, Sacramento. And it would be unwise to count out Dirk and the Mavericks.

Thankfully, the Rockets won't be battling for their playoff lives as they have had to for the last 4 consecutive seasons (8th seed last season and the best team not to make the playoffs for 3 consecutive years prior to last season). Instead, if things go as expected it will be fun to sit back and watch the Lakers, Mavs, Portland, Minnesota, Denver et al battle it out for one of the final 2 playoff slots!! Nothing would be finer than a Rockets-Lakers matchup in the first round!

#67 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPipPip
        • 506 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:30 AM

well, other than that their winshare of their age 22 season is roughly the difference between Lebron James and Jeremy Lin, sure, why not?

almost all advance stats had Holiday around average and some had him as terrible last year. it can not be understated how inefficient he was. let's just point out his True shooting % was a fraction higher than efficiency god Monta Ellis. RAPM is not as harsh on him because they adjust for horrific teammates. but I dunno, Goron Dragic did much better with Luis Scola and a guys who are surely worse than Thad Young.

Edited by RollingWave, 23 July 2013 - 08:32 AM.

#68 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
          • 2,321 posts
          • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:36 AM

Scola looks like he is headed to Indiana. I'm happy for him, he should be a good fit there.
          How sweet it is!

#69 hizzobbes

hizzobbes

Rookie

• Members
          • PipPip
          • 52 posts
          • LocationHouston

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:38 AM

Should be official tomorrow... Gerald Green and draft considerations the likely compensation. This definitely makes the Pacers the east team I'll be rooting for. 

"I am the stone that the builder refused..."

#70 Dan G

Dan G

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 249 posts
          • LocationEast Texas

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

Should be official tomorrow... Gerald Green and draft considerations the likely compensation. This definitely makes the Pacers the east team I'll be rooting for. 

Agreed.

:lol: All in the game, yo, :D all in the game :lol:!

#71 hizzobbes

hizzobbes

Rookie

• Members
          • PipPip
          • 52 posts
          • LocationHouston

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:16 PM

Looks like it'll be Scola to Indy and Green, Plumlee, and their 2014 1st round pick (lotto protected) to PHX. Good deal for both teams. 

"I am the stone that the builder refused..."

#72 CC.

CC.

Rookie

• Members
          • PipPip
          • 72 posts
          • LocationTX

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:34 AM

Are you making a case that Jrue is in Paul's league????????????????? Jrue is a borderline all-star not a superstar.

Yes I'm making a case between those two players, but I meant back when Paul was in New Orleans! Back when Paul was just a typical All-Star and not how he is presently with his Clippers money. Jrue's numbers entering his first season in NOLA are very similar to Paul's first two seasons there, and in his third season Paul made it to the playoffs as the second seed. Now am I stating that Jrue is a better PG or that he's on par with Paul? No, no, no, especially with his TO rate. I'm also not guaranteeing with Jrue the Pelicans will make the playoffs in three seasons or less. But hey you got a team like the Pelicans with names like Evans, Gordon, Davis, Anderson, Rivers, and you add an All-Star PG like Jrue, then you just might have something. Like this-

PELICANS TRIO EXCELS IN USA BASKETBALL

http://www.nba.com/p...case-game-72513

#73 redfaithful

redfaithful

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 213 posts
          • LocationIsrael

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:16 AM

Looks like it'll be Scola to Indy and Green, Plumlee, and their 2014 1st round pick (lotto protected) to PHX. Good deal for both teams. 

Yep, Suns most significant date for the coming year is the lottery. Check their roster and salaries here, notice the projected depth chart and guaranteed salaries for 2015-2016...

#74 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,297 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:11 PM

http://espn.go.com/n...cording-sources

Jennings to the pistons is very intriguing.

#75 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
            • 4,186 posts
            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:53 PM

Agreed.  I'll be curious to see how they utilize the players they have assembled.

#76 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 437 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:59 PM

It seems like they assembled a bunch of players who like shooting jumpshots, but aren't that good at shooting jumpshots

#77 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPip
              • 1,297 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:15 PM

It seems like they assembled a bunch of players who like shooting jumpshots, but aren't that good at shooting jumpshots

Yeah could be good or a huge disaster.

#78 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                • 4,186 posts
                • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:31 PM

It's true :lol:

But they also have some great finishers and passers on that team--it all depends on what Mo Cheeks does with them.  Lots of athleticism and I think their defense could be top 10.  If they can get Jennings to drive and dish that would be good.  I still believe Josh Smith can run a high post offense successfully as well.  And if anyone can run a team with a center who cannot shoot successfully it's Billups--he'll help them solve some of those problems.  There's definitely potential.

#79 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 2,597 posts
                • LocationAlabama

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:07 AM

That team could be a Powerhouse in years to come depending on Monroe and Drummonds improvement.

#80 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 2,597 posts
                • LocationAlabama

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:08 AM

Now they need Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic